World Cup 2018

The World Game

Re: World Cup 2018

Postby morell » Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:32 pm

RB wrote:Could people please stop referring to the sport of Aussie Rules as 'AFL'?

As per your signature, it's actually kind of true.

People call basketball NBA, soccer EPL, gridiron NFL. Who cares!
morell
Coach

Has liked: 2017 times
Been liked: 1138 times
Grassroots Team: Mitchell Park

Postby whufc » Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:34 pm

morell wrote:
whufc wrote:
morell wrote:I also said strength. I don't want to increase scoring. I want to eliminate scoring due to bullshit.

It doesn't have being the nation together, no, but I think that's the one thing missing from our social sporting landscape.

There is such potential there. It's frustrating.

You don’t think it brings the nation together.......... have you got your blinkers on

It brings soccer fans together. I don't think it ingratiates itself amongst the rest of the population as much as it could.

Might I add - soccer fans being hyper sensitive doesn't help.

Criticise footy all you like, **** illt probably join you!

It’s not being hypersensitive

Could you imagine the bloke who owns the only grocery store in Blyth trying to dictate and tell the CEO of Woolworths how he should run the giant chain

Replace Blyth deli owner with Aussie Rules and replace Woolworths with Soccer
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5564 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby morell » Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:36 pm

If his point had validity, I'd listen.
morell
Coach

Postby whufc » Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:38 pm

morell wrote:
whufc wrote:Your suggesting the biggest and most successful sport on earth changes it way to win over a few beef head Aussie Rules fans.

Do you understand how stupid that sounds? You understand the rest of the world is in love with the game?
] Biggest and most successful Sport is highly debatable.

And there is always room for improvement!

I also don't really care about what Uzbekistan and Urguguay are doing, that doesn't affect me. The Australian sporting landscape, does. So all of that is kind of moot.

Lol find a single sport on the global scale that can compete with Soccer. It is undoubtably the ‘world game’ In the same way the term Aussie rules is our national game is used which is very debatable when you take into account crickets reach in every state.

What your overestimating is what the rest of the world feels the sports weakness are. People only complain about diving/games ship when there team is on the wrong. No supporters around the world start booing their own players when they win a penalty from a dive etc

Despite the sport being so ‘soft’ so affected by diving etc the World Cup will see a billion viewers. Most EPL clubs had sold out of season ticket holders we go on and on.
whufc
Coach

Postby Jim05 » Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:45 pm

morell wrote:
mighty hounds wrote:
morell wrote:I said "if that's the case" in response to Jim you pelicans

I have faith that they can remove the "simulation" - it was a priority a little while back if I can recall.

its simple. Don't stop the game for injuries. and if you do they cant come back on for 10 minutes. Yellow card and suspend serial divers. And I would also suggest not having penalties for fouls in the box or take them further out

Morell, it’ll never be stamped out. Hasn’t been stamped out in a 100 years it won’t be stamped out within 5mins.

I like that 10 minute off rule but the problem with this being a World game it’ll be hard to change the rule with all the dodgy pricks around the sport, especially the ones who play act the most and that’s everyone!!

Yeah I understand that, but I would never want to see the national Australian side revert to such bullshit. Which is what Jim was suggesting.

If we want to be successful though we have to adapt and if that means we need to “dive” or exaggerate contact then so be it. ALL the big and successful nations do it and that is why it will never be stamped out. The European nations rule world football and they couldn’t care less if a small country on the other side of the world doesn’t like divers or aren’t interested in the game.
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3534 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby whufc » Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:46 pm

morell wrote:If his point had validity, I'd listen.

The problem is as the owner and the Blyth deli he knows how to cater for these needs and demands of the country market. Is Woolworths going to bend over and cater their entire Australia wife product based on bloke that knows about a 300 population town market

What I’m trying to say is your thoughts are the majority in an extremly minor market.

The game caters for the global feel not ocre aussies
Last edited by whufc on Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
whufc
Coach

Postby whufc » Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:46 pm

Jim05 wrote:
morell wrote:
mighty hounds wrote:
morell wrote:I said "if that's the case" in response to Jim you pelicans

I have faith that they can remove the "simulation" - it was a priority a little while back if I can recall.

its simple. Don't stop the game for injuries. and if you do they cant come back on for 10 minutes. Yellow card and suspend serial divers. And I would also suggest not having penalties for fouls in the box or take them further out

Morell, it’ll never be stamped out. Hasn’t been stamped out in a 100 years it won’t be stamped out within 5mins.

I like that 10 minute off rule but the problem with this being a World game it’ll be hard to change the rule with all the dodgy pricks around the sport, especially the ones who play act the most and that’s everyone!!

Yeah I understand that, but I would never want to see the national Australian side revert to such bullshit. Which is what Jim was suggesting.

If we want to be successful though we have to adapt and if that means we need to “dive” or exaggerate contact then so be it. ALL the big and successful nations do it and that is why it will never be stamped out. The European nations rule world football and they couldn’t care less if a small country on the other side of the world doesn’t like divers or aren’t interested in the game.

Pretty simple really
whufc
Coach

Postby Jim05 » Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:48 pm

morell wrote:
whufc wrote:Your suggesting the biggest and most successful sport on earth changes it way to win over a few beef head Aussie Rules fans.

Do you understand how stupid that sounds? You understand the rest of the world is in love with the game?

I also don't really care about what Uzbekistan and Urguguay are doing, that doesn't affect me. The Australian sporting landscape, does. So all of that is kind of moot.

Soccer is by far the biggest sport in the World and most soccer nations condone and actively encourage diving or milking frees. We can join with the masses or be left behind.
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3534 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby morell » Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:48 pm

You'd said biggest and most successful. It would depend on how you defined that, hence debatable. But who cares, it's irrelevant.

I agree with your second paragraph except I haven't overestimated how the rest of the world feels. I just don't care. My criticisms should only be taken with the context of the Australian sporting landscape.

I don't think nor have ever said that soccer is soft.
morell
Coach

Postby Wedgie » Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:50 pm

morell wrote:
RB wrote:Could people please stop referring to the sport of Aussie Rules as 'AFL'?

As per your signature, it's actually kind of true.

People call basketball NBA, soccer EPL, gridiron NFL. Who cares!

I've never heard anyone call basketball NBA, soccer EPL or gridiron NFL in 47 years.
Do you have around idiots? :?

Mate, this is a thread for the World Cup, if you want to discuss the merits of relative sports do it elsewhere.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2020 times
Been liked: 3862 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Bully » Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:52 pm

Jim05 wrote:
morell wrote:

Soccer is by far the biggest sport in the World and most soccer nations condone and actively encourage diving or milking frees. We can join with the masses or be left behind.

and its where the money is

If Australia won the world cup as in to host it, you can be sure the youngsters of the football world or many young kids would focus their thoughts and play football in the lead up to the world game coming here and turn away a little from Aussie rules.
Hell even Sam newman said it once- If Australia hosts the world cup, it would be a disaster to the Aussie rules game for those years leading up to it at least
Bully
Coach

Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 120 times

Postby Wedgie » Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:54 pm

Can anyone see an upset tonight?
Pick of the matches?
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby Bully » Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:55 pm

Wedgie wrote:Can anyone see annupset tonight?
Pick of the matches?

go the mexicans.......
Bully
Coach

Postby whufc » Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:56 pm

Diving will never be eradicated from any contact sport. We are seeing it creep in Aussie rules now.

Video technology can only determine contact or no contact.

In particular in Soccer technology can not determine (when there is contact) whether that is sufficent enough that the player should or should not have fallen over.

My biggest gripe is when a player is at full speed with the ball and his ankle is clipped to which he falls over (yes in a lot of cases they over exaggarent but none the less there was contact)

The Aussie rules head bobs up with ‘oh bloody soft etc etc, barely touched him etc’. Ummmmmm you have obviously never ran a straight line at full speed and had you ankles clipped, you will fall down 99% of the time

Geez rugby union arguably one of the toughest sports on earth teach, train and encourage the Ankle Tap!!!! It’s the most effective way to bring a big boy down
Last edited by whufc on Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.
whufc
Coach

Postby whufc » Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:58 pm

Wedgie wrote:Can anyone see an upset tonight?
Pick of the matches?

Not upsets for mine. Germany too bloody professional. Brazil too talented

Serbia vs Costa Rica will be the pick of the games for mine, both teams have to get the 3 points which lends itself to an entertaining battle
whufc
Coach

Postby Wedgie » Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:09 pm

Hi all, just a reminder that this thread is about the World Cup tournament. If you want to discuss the merits of the game do it elsewhere.
Continuing to post about your opinion of the sport as opposed to the goings on in the World Cup will result in you being suspended for the duration of the World Cup.
Cheers.
Wedgie
Site Admin

World Cup 2018

Postby bennymacca » Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:49 pm

Good work wedgie

And morell - I think it’s pretty obvious I’m an AFL super fan but also love the World game, they are not mutually exclusive things like you might think
Last edited by bennymacca on Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby bennymacca » Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:52 pm

whufc wrote:
Can see mini matches coming in to all sports coverages a lot more in the next 5-10 years.

My first thought was why isn’t fox sports doing this.

Or even an hour long highlights package on a Sunday night like the EPL produce.

Makes the game more accessible to people who are only half interested - (I guess similar to T20 etc but without changing the game)
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby Bully » Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:30 pm

on the world cup i love the news report from the russians about the fella who was apperently drunk and drove his taxi into the crowd

they said he lost control of the taxi , where as CCTV camera footage of the incident saw him stop the taxi behind other cars, and then turn right and drive into the crowd :lol:

He legged it out of there quick smart before being caught
Bully
Coach

Postby whufc » Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:31 pm

Dissapointly new footage from a different angle has emerged of the Risdon tackle which shows he won a big piece of the ball first. Unfortunately VAR did not have that footage available to them.

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport ... om=htc_rss
whufc
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Soccer