Adelaide Crows 2018

Talk on the national game

Re: Adelaide Crows 2018

Postby Booney » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:36 am

Whilst I'm deriving unashamed entertainment from all this does anyone with an ounce of intelligence need to ask why the Crows look flat, mentally?

The Walsh incident, I'd imagine many players are still coping with that loss day to day, couple that with heights they reached in '16 and then '17 resulting in no reward is anyone really surprised they look "flat"? They would have been hell bent on honoring Walsh with a premiership and knowing they were so close last year to only fall short would have been draining.

Clearly the Collective Minds program, as many of the players and coaches have said "different people take different things from it" has challenged some players already battling to be at the top of their game.

Eade said on Game Day yesterday that the playing group were unhappy with the change in training program that included heavy weights on the Thursday main session before the game, this included hamstring loading and we've seen the results of that.

I didn't even need to post it in pretty colours, or maybe I should have? :lol:
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7491 times
Been liked: 10772 times

Postby whufc » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:43 am

MW wrote:
whufc wrote:I agree with the Crows supporters in regards to some answers around what went on at the camp especially in regards to the comments around why the indigenous players were upset about the camp.

Stuff like answers around why so many injuries and why players look sluggish is nonsensical.

I think we all know why there are so many injuries...but the lack of effort over the last four weeks needs explaining. There has been a very clear drop off since the WB game without a great deal of change to the line up.

Just because you think there not putting in as much effort does not make that fact.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5588 times
Been liked: 2527 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby MW » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:49 am

I think you'd be the only person alive who thinks the Crows are putting in the same effort as they have been lately.
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2602 times
Been liked: 1844 times

Postby JK » Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:13 am

Efforts one thing that should always be controllable - If they're noticeably down (just going by comments of supporters rather than my own eyes), it's usually a fair sign the coach(es) has lost the players. If that's the case, it's a seriously big job to get them back.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4458 times
Been liked: 2986 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Booney » Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:38 am

Bullshit aside it would be hard for the key players in the group to get "up" when they just know deep down inside the bit players coming in to fill roles just aren't up to executing the plan in place.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Corona Man » Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:41 am

MW wrote:I think you'd be the only person alive who thinks the Crows are putting in the same effort as they have been lately.

I think JJ puts in the same effort week in, week out; season in, season out. He is super consistent.
1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015.... And don't you forget it!
Corona Man
Coach

Has liked: 1278 times
Been liked: 3484 times
Grassroots Team: Echunga

Postby hawks21 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:42 pm

Booney wrote:Whilst I'm deriving unashamed entertainment from all this does anyone with an ounce of intelligence need to ask why the Crows look flat, mentally?

The Walsh incident, I'd imagine many players are still coping with that loss day to day, couple that with heights they reached in '16 and then '17 resulting in no reward is anyone really surprised they look "flat"? They would have been hell bent on honoring Walsh with a premiership and knowing they were so close last year to only fall short would have been draining.

Clearly the Collective Minds program, as many of the players and coaches have said "different people take different things from it" has challenged some players already battling to be at the top of their game.

Eade said on Game Day yesterday that the playing group were unhappy with the change in training program that included heavy weights on the Thursday main session before the game, this included hamstring loading and we've seen the results of that.

Flat psychically and mentally, has to be due to a change in training program, cramming in a full preseason of work into a shorter timeframe due to the GF and potentially the preseason training camp. Our best is still the brilliant but our worst is horrible. Fitness, injuries, mindset all contributing to consistency no doubt.

No doubt the club will/is/have review everything within the football department and ensure this does not happen next season. (They better).

I agree with the article in the paper today, only thing to do now is play Poholke, Gallucci, Fogarty, Wilson all season, Milera at half back and give O'Brien and Dear 3-4 week crack to see what they offer at AFL level.
hawks21
Reserves

Has liked: 85 times
Been liked: 37 times

Postby Corona Man » Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:46 pm

hawks21 wrote:
Booney wrote:Whilst I'm deriving unashamed entertainment from all this does anyone with an ounce of intelligence need to ask why the Crows look flat, mentally?

Flat psychically and mentally, has to be due to a change in training program, cramming in a full preseason of work into a shorter timeframe due to the GF and potentially the preseason training camp. Our best is still the brilliant but our worst is horrible. Fitness, injuries, mindset all contributing to consistency no doubt.

No doubt the club will/is/have review everything within the football department and ensure this does not happen next season. (They better).

I agree with the article in the paper today, only thing to do now is play Poholke, Gallucci, Fogarty, Wilson all season, Milera at half back and give O'Brien and Dear 3-4 week crack to see what they offer at AFL level.

Yet somehow other clubs seem to have managed this issue. No doubt you have been cut down with injuries this season, but for mine in the past 3 or 4 seasons you've had a good run. The wheel turns. This AFL is a hard gig. Its not all beer a skittles...... or Chardonnay & Apricot Slice.
1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015.... And don't you forget it!
Corona Man
Coach

Postby whufc » Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:01 pm

MW wrote:I think you'd be the only person alive who thinks the Crows are putting in the same effort as they have been lately.

Judging someone's effort is purely perception. Unless you had the data of what their base kms run in a game was, base heart rate during a game, close enough to see the physical assertion such as sweat etc then you don't know as fact whether someones effort level is higher or lower than the previous.

Many other factors can make the perception of effort level inaccurate such as playing on quicker, faster, stronger opponents. If the other opponent has better anticipation than another this could also cause a player to be a couple of steps behind and therefore perceived to not be putting in as much effort which would be inaccurate. A player may not be able to perform at his peak due to training methods during the week, once again this isn't a player having a lack of effort but physically being fatigued.

The Crows have lost some absolute key players who in all likelihood are some of their fittest, stronger, fastest players, those attributes which assist them to be better players than their opponents. A younger lad now has to man up on a more mature, stronger bodied player. The hits hurt more, its harder to get up, its physically harder to get to the next contest.

I think it is also pretty clear some Crows players such as Tex are playing injured. This does not mean they are not putting in as much effort but purely they cannot physically play to their peak performance.

Effort can be increased or decreased for any individual task at the click of a finger. If the Crows problem was simply 'not putting in effort' this would be easily resolved.

As Booney has alluded to I would suggest that it is not a lack of effort but more so the players are both mentally and physically fatigued after what has been a long couple of years on and off the field for the players.

As the saying goes the good players make it look effortless. The Mark Waughs of this world were also always accused of not giving effort but it simply wasn't true.
Last edited by whufc on Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
whufc
Coach

Postby Dutchy » Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:05 pm

Last one leaving please switch off the lights :shock:

Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2322 times
Been liked: 3496 times

Postby The Bedge » Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:05 pm

hawks21 wrote:cramming in a full preseason of work into a shorter timeframe due to the GF and potentially the preseason training camp.

I would've thought playing in a GF would've ensured you wouldn't need to cram a full preseason in because fitness levels wouldn't have dropped away as much given you were still in a training phase up until the GF?
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3192 times
Been liked: 3998 times

Postby Corona Man » Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:07 pm

Dutchy wrote:Last one leaving please switch off the lights :shock:

I believe JJ is fumbling around out the back looking for the switch. :lol:
Corona Man
Coach

Postby Booney » Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:08 pm

The Bedge wrote:
hawks21 wrote:cramming in a full preseason of work into a shorter timeframe due to the GF and potentially the preseason training camp.

I would've thought playing in a GF would've ensured you wouldn't need to cram a full preseason in because fitness levels wouldn't have dropped away as much given you were still in a training phase up until the GF?

They still get the 4 weeks off, I guess it's how you prepare yourself for returning to the preseason that counts and Talia said back in December some of the players came back under done. Perhaps the mindset was off back then?
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Booney » Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:10 pm

Dutchy wrote:Last one leaving please switch off the lights :shock:

*CROWS ON LEAVE IMAGE*

Do the coaches and football staff fall under the AFLPA guidelines that dictate a 4 day break away from the club when they are on the mid season bye too?

Talk about making yourself scarce! :lol:
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby MW » Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:13 pm

Player, coach, administrators, boot studders etc...If they are cooked they are cooked. Making them stay (all of them) during a period that has clearly been planned for to be on leave will just make it worse.
MW
Coach

Postby whufc » Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:13 pm

Agree MW makes sense to have a break in my opinion. Give everyone a chance to freshen up and charge up the batteries.

Watch how in their next game I bet their 'effort' levels seem to have increased.

In any form of fitness/strength/cardio/mental training rest is the most underestimated aspect.
whufc
Coach

Postby MW » Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:15 pm

whufc wrote:Agree MW makes sense to have a break in my opinion. Give everyone a chance to freshen up and charge up the batteries.

Watch how in their next game I bet their 'effort' levels seem to have increased.

In any form of fitness/strength/cardio/mental training rest is the most underestimated aspect.

glad we're on the same page :lol:
MW
Coach

Postby Booney » Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:17 pm

MW wrote:
whufc wrote:Agree MW makes sense to have a break in my opinion. Give everyone a chance to freshen up and charge up the batteries.

glad we're on the same page :lol:

Absolutely and all going well by the time they get back all this mess will be sorted out and we can resume normal transmission.

:lol:
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby hawks21 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:36 pm

Booney wrote:
The Bedge wrote:

They still get the 4 weeks off, I guess it's how you prepare yourself for returning to the preseason that counts and Talia said back in December some of the players came back under done. Perhaps the mindset was off back then?

If you don't make the finals you are in for surgery, clean outs etc or put out to the paddock to recover well before round 22, take your 4 weeks off and then you're back and ready to go well fully training at the start of preseason. Go deep into the finals and you are 4-8 weeks behind everyone else.

Yep, that could be another reason, by our own a admission, some of the players didn't come back in great condition which no doubt is a contributing factor and wasn't great to hear!
hawks21
Reserves

Has liked: 85 times
Been liked: 37 times

Postby Footy Smart » Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:46 pm

Our inability to go from D50 to F50 this season stands out to me as our area of biggest decline. Its been a strength previously using smiths ability to break a line and generate quick FWD movement without having a side with quick leg speed. We haven't covered Smithers lost impact on our game style and paying the price! Even more frustrating is the failure to move away from the style that isn't working/dont have the cattle on the park to deliver.
Footy Smart
Coach

Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 118 times
Grassroots Team: Modbury

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL