Restaurant & Pub Reviews

Anything!

Re: Restaurant & Pub Reviews

Postby Booney » Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:36 pm

Makes me wonder why so many Asian inspired eateries offer banquets on their menu's.

Hmm....
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7481 times
Been liked: 10770 times

Postby Brodlach » Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:37 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Brodlach wrote:I love sharing dishes, you get to taste so much more

Bit weird when it's soup though

Straws?
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4216 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby Booney » Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:38 pm

Brodlach wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:

Straws?

I'll decide, thanks.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7481 times
Been liked: 10770 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:38 pm

Brodlach wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:

Straws?

With little forks on the ends.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4344 times
Been liked: 7921 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:39 pm

Booney wrote:Makes me wonder why so many Asian inspired eateries offer banquets on their menu's.

Hmm....

I don't think the consumer saves anything from getting a banquet, I try weighing it up when we go out and I find the serving sizes are smaller in the banquet.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:55 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Booney wrote:Makes me wonder why so many Asian inspired eateries offer banquets on their menu's.

Hmm....

I don't think the consumer saves anything from getting a banquet, I try weighing it up when we go out and I find the serving sizes are smaller in the banquet.

It’s not about saving money, it’s about trying more different meals

A lot of the better restaurants have a “feed me” menu these days where you might get to try 8-10 different things
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:57 pm

bennymacca wrote:

A lot of the better restaurants have a “feed me” menu these days where you might get to try 8-10 different things

I always find that they put a couple of dishes on there that wouldn't be as popular, not that I think that I'm the be all and end all of judges.

I'd sooner have more food of less dishes knowing that I'd like them.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby FlyingHigh » Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:31 pm

Sometimes if out with a group, the group will order, say, two mains for everyone to share as entrees. Works well with things like seafood platters, and can be a way to try things you aren't sure of or that might be too expensive to order as a full serving.
FlyingHigh
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 81 times
Been liked: 174 times

Postby bennymacca » Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:13 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
bennymacca wrote:

I always find that they put a couple of dishes on there that wouldn't be as popular, not that I think that I'm the be all and end all of judges.

If a place doesn’t do a good banquet they don’t deserve to be in business.

I think it’s probably people that are fussier eaters that would prefer not to share - which is fair enough.

But there is also something nice about sharing food
bennymacca
Coach

Postby RB » Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:26 pm

It's a 'no' to sharing from me.

I wouldn't share with an anorexic. I don't order a meal to 'try it', I don't eat for practice. When I order a meal, I want to eat it. All of it. Plus experience has taught me that I go home fuller if we have our own separate meals.
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 764 times
Been liked: 1074 times

Postby Jim05 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:33 pm

bennymacca wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:
bennymacca wrote:

If a place doesn’t do a good banquet they don’t deserve to be in business.

I think it’s probably people that are fussier eaters that would prefer not to share - which is fair enough.

But there is also something nice about sharing food

And that’s us.
Neither my wife or I eat any type of seafood whatsoever and I love plenty of spice in my dishes so it just makes it too awkward to share dishes with others
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3552 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:51 pm

Christies Beach hotel

Was a last minute choice. But knew they are normally quick with meals. Many years ago our schnitzels beat us to our table..and we banned them.
However theyve renovated the Bar/dining and new tables chairs and it looks good.

Was quiet upon arrival around 7pm.
Mrs had Spud & leek soup and said it was good.
Chicken kiev
Chicken schnit with mushroom gravy
Coke.
Had use of the salad/veg bar....but left underwhelmed there.

I went chicken schnit, on the basis that this is a pub staple. Again, a little underwhelmed.
Chicken kiev was good though.

Service was good, but so it should have been with very empty dining area.
Food was just so-so for me.
Ambience 7/10
Food 5/10
$46
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11834 times
Been liked: 3593 times

Postby bennymacca » Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:37 pm

Hmm....

because it is tradition to share your meal with your guests, as a form of respect and friendship etc
bennymacca
Coach

Postby Dutchy » Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:02 am

RB wrote:It's a 'no' to sharing from me.

I wouldn't share with an anorexic. I don't order a meal to 'try it', I don't eat for practice. When I order a meal, I want to eat it. All of it. Plus experience has taught me that I go home fuller if we have our own separate meals.

Each to their own of course, however a few times we have under ordered the share food, a quick order is made for another dish or two and usually within 7-8 mins its at your table.

Salt and Pepper squid is a fav amongst our family, but I could never eat it as a full meal - I love the variety of tastes in asian foods so love trying 4-5 different things in a meal. Sometime just the remaining sauces with steamed rice at the end is the best part!
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2320 times
Been liked: 3494 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:11 am

Dutchy wrote:

Each to their own of course, however a few times we have under ordered the share food, a quick order is made for another dish or two and usually within 7-8 mins its at your table.

Salt and Pepper squid is a fav amongst our family, but I could never eat it as a full meal - I love the variety of tastes in asian foods so love trying 4-5 different things in a meal. Sometime just the remaining sauces with steamed rice at the end is the best part!

Sometimes? Mate, I dibs that for sure.

We are very mundane when we go out, the wife will have the S&P squid (I'll polish it off), I get a steak.

Asian is usually Garlic Prawns, Satay Beef, Pork in Plum Sauce with some Special Fried Rice.

If you're ever up north, stop into the House of the Red Dragon, their Special Fried Rice is to die for, it's a meal on it's own, proper prawns and big chunks of beef, pork and chicken.
Last edited by Lightning McQueen on Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Dutchy » Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:17 am

That reminds me, No.1 son loves trying new foods, especially asian hot food, No. 2 son is complete opposite we will go out to chinese and he will sit and eat bowls of steamed rice nothing added :lol: we have tried to get him to upgrade to fried rice but nup he insists on sitting there and smashing out the steamed rice all night, he will have some S&P squid but thats it.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2320 times
Been liked: 3494 times

Postby daysofourlives » Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:23 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Dutchy wrote:

We are very mundane when we go out, the wife will have the S&P squid (I'll polish it off), I get a steak.

Asian is usually Garlic Prawns, Satay Beef, Pork in Plum Sauce with some Special Fried Rice.

If you're ever up north, stop into the House of the Red Dragon, their Special Fried Rice is to die for, it's a meal on it's own, proper prawns and bit chunks of beef, pork and chicken.

Totally agree, had my 1st experience there a couple weeks ago with some take away, Fried rice was great, had the entree of spare ribs in plum sauce, as a take away it was even edible, will dine in one day to get the nice crispy experience of that type of dish. Always love a crispy beef but never get it as a take away.
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2423 times
Been liked: 1660 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby Jim05 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:57 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Dutchy wrote:

If you're ever up north, stop into the House of the Red Dragon, their Special Fried Rice is to die for, it's a meal on it's own, proper prawns and bit chunks of beef, pork and chicken.

An oldie but a goody is the Red Dragon. I haven’t tried their fried rice as I don’t eat egg but have tried plenty on their menu and can’t recall a bad dish in the many years we have gone there.
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3552 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:44 am

daysofourlives wrote:
Totally agree, had my 1st experience there a couple weeks ago with some take away, Fried rice was great, had the entree of spare ribs in plum sauce, as a take away it was even edible, will dine in one day to get the nice crispy experience of that type of dish. Always love a crispy beef but never get it as a take away.

I laugh at the title "spare ribs", they are bloody boneless.

Definitely make the effort to stop in there one night, service is generally pretty swift, decent beer range and price, and yes, the food is better not having to be kept in a container for a while.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:47 am

Jim05 wrote:An oldie but a goody is the Red Dragon. I haven’t tried their fried rice as I don’t eat egg but have tried plenty on their menu and can’t recall a bad dish in the many years we have gone there.

Have a crack at one of their "big spring rolls", they're $3.80 and huge, they taste awesome too, they don't go too far away from filling you up, I normally get a couple and cut them up, they go quickly.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  General Discussion