Things that make you sad.

Anything!

Re: Things that make you sad.

Postby bennymacca » Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:02 pm

HH3 wrote:
Q. wrote:
HH3 wrote:I've completely stayed out of it with people I know too.

I've been attacked, and if one of the many kicks to the head had hit the right spot, I might not be here annoying everyone. Since then, I'm very protective of people (male and female) and will go out of my way to make sure they dont take public transport alone at night.

To one of my female friends (who I pick up from work at night), that protectiveness was an example she used in a post about how women shouldnt have to be cautious. I really wanted to have my say, but I knew people would label me a piece of shit (for looking out for my friends) so I kept my mouth shut.
It was pretty irresponsible of you to let yourself get kicked in the head by another male. You should have been more cautious.

Well the irresponsible part was wearing headphones the whole bus ride home, not paying attention to my surroundings, etc. And it was two males and a female.

Telling men they shouldn't do something isn't going to stop the f**kin psychopaths, so do everything YOU can do to protect yourself.

Do people think rapists are going to think, "Wait, I SHOULDN'T attack women?" just because people say so?

I dunno, I think change can occur if a concerted effort is made - like the king hit / coward punch stuff. I think that has made a difference
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby Dogwatcher » Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:04 pm

What is a concerted effort?
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby HH3 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:07 pm

bennymacca wrote:I dunno, I think change can occur if a concerted effort is made - like the king hit / coward punch stuff. I think that has made a difference

Yeah. Work towards change. Don't encourage women to put themselves in danger to spite the rapists. They should still make smart decisions.

As a white, straight, not overly attractive male, it's very unlikely I'll be raped. I still know I probably won't walk home alone at night. If possible, I'll make arrangements. And I'll also make the decision to pick up any friends or family that need it.
Last edited by HH3 on Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:09 pm, edited 3 times in total.
I TOLD YOU SO

2013/14 NFL Tipping Comp Champion
HH3
Coach

Has liked: 3301 times
Been liked: 2432 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby bennymacca » Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:07 pm

Dogwatcher wrote:What is a concerted effort?

It’s a good question. Heightened public awareness I guess. Better efforts to make people aware of their surroundings. Better lighting at night

Not sure tbh.
bennymacca
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:09 pm

HH3 wrote:
bennymacca wrote:Yeah. Work towards change. Don't encourage women to put themselves in danger to spite the rapists. They should still make smart decisions.

As a white, straight, not overly attractive male, it's very unlikely I'll be raped. I still know I probably won't walk home alone at night. If possible, I'll make arrangements. And I'll also make the decision to pick up any friends or family that need it. It's not hard.

This is true but we should also aim for a society where women can walk home without fear of being raped and murdered.
bennymacca
Coach

Postby HH3 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:12 pm

bennymacca wrote:
HH3 wrote:
bennymacca wrote:Yeah. Work towards change. Don't encourage women to put themselves in danger to spite the rapists. They should still make smart decisions.

As a white, straight, not overly attractive male, it's very unlikely I'll be raped. I still know I probably won't walk home alone at night. If possible, I'll make arrangements. And I'll also make the decision to pick up any friends or family that need it. It's not hard.

This is true but we should also aim for a society where women can walk home without fear of being raped and murdered.

Or we could live on Earth and make real life decisions.

There are f****d up people that won't give a f**k. So don't put yourself in that situation.
I TOLD YOU SO

HH3
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:16 pm

Classic victim blaming

Question - if you hadn’t been bashed would you still be walking home? I bet you would and you would have a very different opinion.

Not sure the area you live in but I don’t think there are too many areas in SA that are inherently too dangerous to even walk
bennymacca
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:16 pm

bennymacca wrote:

It's that 0.1% of the population that we can't speak for, as a person there is something in your head that tells you what to do each minute, how to think, how to feel, how to react, this voice tells us what is right, what is wrong.

Unfortunately in some brains this filter doesn't work properly and they can't be stopped form doing what they are about to do despite knowing it's the wrong thing to do.

This lad was 19 years old, he turned himself in the following day, he's a bloody kid who has now forfeited his life.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby Booney » Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:19 pm

bennymacca wrote:This is true but we should also aim for a society where women can walk home without fear of being raped and murdered.

Has there ever been a time in humanity where this was the case? EVER?
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:19 pm

bennymacca wrote:Classic victim blaming

Question - if you hadn’t been bashed would you still be walking home? I bet you would and you would have a very different opinion.

Not sure the area you live in but I don’t think there are too many areas in SA that are inherently too dangerous to even walk

I beg to differ there mate, we all say "shit, I wouldn't be walking through there on a dark night", there are freaks in all suburbs, they are probably more likely to target the posher suburbs where retaliation might be weaker.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby HH3 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:20 pm

Are you for real?

You'd let your wife walk around Gawler by herself at night?

What about West Lakes?

Unley?

One chance encounter with someone who's not right in the head will change their life forever. But nah, f**k it, let's pretend saying "you should be allowed to do something" will change their mental capacity, chemistry, whatever that drives them to attack/rape/kill.

Make the decision for yourself. Don't let the scourge of society make the decision for you.
I TOLD YOU SO

HH3
Coach

Postby Booney » Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:21 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
bennymacca wrote:

It's that 0.1% of the population that we can't speak for, as a person there is something in your head that tells you what to do each minute, how to think, how to feel, how to react, this voice tells us what is right, what is wrong.

Unfortunately in some brains this filter doesn't work properly and they can't be stopped form doing what they are about to do despite knowing it's the wrong thing to do.

This lad was 19 years old, he turned himself in the following day, he's a bloody kid who has now forfeited his life.

I disagree. He's taken her life from her and he'll spend probably 25-30 years in prison, fed, bed, clothed, medical and one day if he's lucky he'll rejoin the community and walk freely among us. She'll never do anything ever again. He's given up squat in comparison.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Dogwatcher » Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:23 pm

Dark parks at night are inherently dangerous - no way would I be going into Dead Man's Pass at night. No way would I be walking around the South Parklands at night. No way would I be walking through Fremont Park at night. It is just stupid to think you can walk through these areas with complete safety.

I still walk home from the pub in Gawler, to my house at Evanston Park, even though random attacks have occurred, and I can tell you I keep to the main road and keep my eyes open. Why would I put myself in greater danger by walking through parks and dark areas just because I have a right to walk around unmolested? It's just not real world thinking.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby Booney » Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:23 pm

You're just messing with us now.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby HH3 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:29 pm

Booney wrote:

You're just messing with us now.

How do I report a troll?
I TOLD YOU SO

HH3
Coach

Postby Pseudo » Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:39 pm

Dogwatcher wrote: No way would I be walking around the South Parklands at night.

Of course not; that would be silly.

You're supposed to park near the toilets and flash your headlights.

:lol:
Clowns OUT. Smears OUT. RESIST THE OCCUPATION.
Pseudo
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1553 times
Grassroots Team: Marion

Postby The Bedge » Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:45 pm

I have no fears of walking around areas in Adelaide, but i'm always very aware and cautious of my surroundings if walking in certain areas at night, but i also tend to think i'm capable of handling myself in most situations as well... I wouldn't encourage my children, especially the girls to go walking around at night though, i wouldn't feel safe with them doing that.

Mostly because there are too many strange cats in this world and sick predators, and regardless of the gender, they're not physically strong enough, or capable to defend themselves should the need arise.

"Education" will only help a very small amount.. but you'll never solve the problem 100% because everyone is different and some people are just wired completely differently.

*Edit* - should say i have no fears of walking around areas, but i avoid where possible - i wouldn't deliberately go strolling through areas that are suspect*
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3188 times
Been liked: 3989 times

Postby bennymacca » Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:48 pm

Dogwatcher wrote:

Dark parks at night are inherently dangerous - no way would I be going into Dead Man's Pass at night. No way would I be walking around the South Parklands at night. No way would I be walking through Fremont Park at night. It is just stupid to think you can walk through these areas with complete safety.

I still walk home from the pub in Gawler, to my house at Evanston Park, even though random attacks have occurred, and I can tell you I keep to the main road and keep my eyes open. Why would I put myself in greater danger by walking through parks and dark areas just because I have a right to walk around unmolested? It's just not real world thinking.

This is my point. To some extent we all take some risks walking home etc, you can’t blame the victim for doing the same.

what one person thinks is too risky another person thinks is completely fine, so it’s not for us to judge her by saying she shouldn’t have been in the Park in the first place.
bennymacca
Coach

Postby The Bedge » Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:55 pm

bennymacca wrote:what one person thinks is too risky another person thinks is completely fine, so it’s not for us to judge her by saying she shouldn’t have been in the Park in the first place.

100%
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3188 times
Been liked: 3989 times

Postby cennals05 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:56 pm

Walking alone at night is the least of our worries, we are more likely to be raped or killed by someone we know in our own homes.
cennals05
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 146 times
Been liked: 248 times

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  General Discussion