Things that make you sad.

Anything!

Re: Things that make you sad.

Postby bennymacca » Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:54 pm

Jase wrote:
bennymacca wrote:
HH3 wrote: Don't encourage women to put themselves in danger to spite the rapists. They should still make smart decisions.

Well the inference here is that the woman was dumb for walking through the park and she has a share of the blame for getting murdered

Who on here has said that? All I have seen is that people have suggested that in the current time, when we don't live in a safe utopia in which we can do as we wish without fear of injury, rape or death, is that people need to be cautious.

You have said yourself you take precautions, wouldn't it make sense that due to the nut cases and freaks that do wander our streets people just look after themselves... That isn't victim blaming that is just wanting people to be safe...

Of course everyoneshould be able to be free from fear of injury/death/rape, but we aren't and I doubt we ever will be. Lets look after ourselves and others... but I could be wrong and most likely am...

She did take precautions though. But it wasn’t enough.

So how many precautions are enough?
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby Booney » Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:54 pm

bennymacca wrote:
Booney wrote:
bennymacca wrote:
Booney wrote:benny don't think for one minute that I wouldn't want to live in your perfect world, I'd love to, it would be just swell, I wish you all the best on that crusade for all throughout the history of mankind nobody has been able to accomplish such a feat.

What is dangerous and what is safe is different for everyone but you guys don’t seem to think so.

What that poor girl thought was safe unfortunately had no bearing on the outcome though, did it? It's not what you "think" is safe or not it's what in the real work actually "is" safe.

And that’s a continuum which differs for everyone

As the victim you don't get to choose what's safe and what isn't. That's not how crime works.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7468 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby Dogwatcher » Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:56 pm

bennymacca wrote:
Jase wrote:
bennymacca wrote:
HH3 wrote: Don't encourage women to put themselves in danger to spite the rapists. They should still make smart decisions.

Well the inference here is that the woman was dumb for walking through the park and she has a share of the blame for getting murdered

Who on here has said that? All I have seen is that people have suggested that in the current time, when we don't live in a safe utopia in which we can do as we wish without fear of injury, rape or death, is that people need to be cautious.

You have said yourself you take precautions, wouldn't it make sense that due to the nut cases and freaks that do wander our streets people just look after themselves... That isn't victim blaming that is just wanting people to be safe...

Of course everyoneshould be able to be free from fear of injury/death/rape, but we aren't and I doubt we ever will be. Lets look after ourselves and others... but I could be wrong and most likely am...

Don't walk through a ******* dark park at night.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby bennymacca » Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:56 pm

Dogwatcher wrote:
bennymacca wrote:HH3 won’t catch public transport at night or walk anywhere alone

Dogwatcher seems like he will take public transport but will only walk on well lit roads

I seem to be slightly more risky than that but still try to take note of my surroundings.

Which one of us is right?

Or are only afforded the luxury of this leeway because we are men?

And I'm pretty certain that not one of us would walk through Princes Park or any other large and unlit park at night. Because it is not safe. I would issue this warning to men and women, as would the police.

Why is it okay to issue travel alerts for overseas, but not alert people to think about their safety at home.

You are putting words in my mouth

You are inferring that she didn’t think about her safety when she did. She was texting loved ones about her whereabouts etc.
bennymacca
Coach

Postby Dogwatcher » Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:58 pm

Not sure what words I put in your mouth.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Postby Dogwatcher » Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:59 pm

bennymacca wrote: You are inferring that she didn’t think about her safety when she did. She was texting loved ones about her whereabouts etc.

Again. An example of where nuance has been ignored.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Postby HH3 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:00 pm

Benny, would you let your wife walk through Princes Park tonight without saying a word if she thought it was safe?
I TOLD YOU SO

2013/14 NFL Tipping Comp Champion
HH3
Coach

Has liked: 3301 times
Been liked: 2432 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby bennymacca » Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:01 pm

Dogwatcher wrote:
bennymacca wrote:
Jase wrote:
bennymacca wrote:[quote="HH3"] Don't encourage women to put themselves in danger to spite the rapists. They should still make smart decisions.

Don't walk through a ******* dark park at night.[/quote]

And you think I’m the only one ignoring nuance?
bennymacca
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:03 pm

HH3 wrote:Benny, would you let your wife walk through Princes Park tonight without saying a word if she thought it was safe?

I’ve said already I wouldn’t. But the small reserve near my house? Sure. Because I know that area and deem it to be pretty safe. You might think that is absolutely crazy.

So it’s not for me to judge what others should and shouldn’t deem safe. It’s all relative and it’s hard for us to know exactly
bennymacca
Coach

Postby The Bedge » Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:05 pm

This debate is a tennis match going back and forward between benny & HH3.. I think this debate needs a third party to enter and be the decisive vote..

#FreeMorell
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3188 times
Been liked: 3989 times

Postby bennymacca » Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:05 pm

Women get snatched off of well lit streets too.

And during the daytime.

Just going out of the house is a calculated risk
bennymacca
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:06 pm

The Bedge wrote:This debate is a tennis match going back and forward between benny & HH3.. I think this debate needs a third party to enter and be the decisive vote..

#FreeMorell

I think it’s a pretty long deuce game at the moment

I see where HH3 and DW are coming from I just honk there is no black and white answer.

Which is pretty much what they are arguing too

So I’ll leave it there
bennymacca
Coach

Postby HH3 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:07 pm

bennymacca wrote:Women get snatched off of well lit streets too.

And during the daytime.

Just going out of the house is a calculated risk

Are you suggesting we keep them locked up in the house?

But Cennals says thats where most of rape and murders occur.

I'm torn.
I TOLD YOU SO

HH3
Coach

Postby HH3 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:09 pm

bennymacca wrote:
The Bedge wrote:This debate is a tennis match going back and forward between benny & HH3.. I think this debate needs a third party to enter and be the decisive vote..

#FreeMorell

I see where HH3 and DW are coming from I just honk there is no black and white answer.

So I’ll leave it there

6 - 0
6 - 0
6 - 0
I TOLD YOU SO

HH3
Coach

Postby Dogwatcher » Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:09 pm

bennymacca wrote: Don't walk through a ******* dark park at night.

And you think I’m the only one ignoring nuance?[/quote]

Wrong. I believe that we need to have a conversation about men's behaviour, but I also believe we can't have this conversation without reminding people that we need to make smart decisions about what we're doing - men and women. This is not saying it is a black and white issue.
But to ignore either aspect of the conversation is dangerous.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:12 pm

Dogwatcher wrote:
bennymacca wrote: Don't walk through a ******* dark park at night.

And you think I’m the only one ignoring nuance?

Wrong. I believe that we need to have a conversation about men's behaviour, but I also believe we can't have this conversation without reminding people that we need to make smart decisions about what we're doing - men and women. This is not saying it is a black and white issue.
But to ignore either aspect of the conversation is dangerous.[/quote]

I agree completely. But I don’t agree with your assertion that I ignored that part of it. Just that what some people think is safe is different to others
bennymacca
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:12 pm

bennymacca wrote:

#FreeMorell

So I’ll leave it there

There is no winner here, that was my point initially in the morning, everyone deserves the right to feel safe from other humans at all times, everyone has to be more vigilant regardless of gender due to the 0.1% of the human race that's possessed with evil.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby HH3 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:14 pm

Yes, different people have different ideas of whats safe and whats not safe. I agree.

The c**t raping women doesn't give a f**k what any of us think is safe or not, so take precautions.

Ever heard of "Better to be safe, than sorry"......that's exactly what we're trying to say.

"Better to have too much than not enough" is another good one.
I TOLD YOU SO

HH3
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:23 pm

HH3 wrote:
Ever heard of "Better to be safe, than sorry"......that's exactly what we're trying to say..

Of course. But I’ve also presented 3 different ideas of what safe means just between the three of us so you can’t judge her version of safe either
bennymacca
Coach

Postby Corona Man » Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:24 pm

It's been interesting the coverage this has been given here in Melbourne. I have a 20 Y/O daughter who, fortunately looks like her mother, and is about 60kg's wringing wet. Not that she is a super model or anything - I notice the looks she gets walking through any shopping Mall. She currently gets a bus & then onto a tram to get to Uni. She has told me that there are some fairly interesting "cats" that use the public transport system in Melbourne. When she finishes late, or goes out at night with friends (as she did last weekend) we go and collect her. We DON'T leave her to use public transport (let alone walk) alone at night over here. To be fair I probably wouldn't be comfortable with that in Adelaide either.

This is just common sense, and an awareness of the times we live in.

This is not a knock at the girl who was assaulted and murdered last week at Princess Park. Women 'should" be able to walk wherever and whenever they choose. However the reality is sadly different to that. As a society we can educate all we want, there will sadly always be a part of our communities who just don't give a ****, and put no value on another persons life.
1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015.... And don't you forget it!
Corona Man
Coach

Has liked: 1275 times
Been liked: 3461 times
Grassroots Team: Echunga

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  General Discussion