Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Re: Things that make you sad.

Postby MW » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:04 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:
amber_fluid wrote:
Agree.
There are a lot of good people on here but very similar with their thoughts(probably because we are 40+ year old, beer drinking, footy followers) but Morrell offered a point of difference.

I enjoy most of the banter on here, there's some ego's that need a reality check though that leave me shaking my head thinking "is this dude for real?"

I think there's a fair circle of blokes of the same sort of ilk that would have an absolute laugh together in a bar over a few beers, it's sort of like a morning Ralph, morning Sam thing logging on each day.

easiest way is to ignore their posts...it's fun to watch them get more irritated when no one acknowledges their trolling :lol:
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2581 times
Been liked: 1822 times

Postby Booney » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:10 am

MW wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:
amber_fluid wrote:
Agree.
There are a lot of good people on here but very similar with their thoughts(probably because we are 40+ year old, beer drinking, footy followers) but Morrell offered a point of difference.

I enjoy most of the banter on here, there's some ego's that need a reality check though that leave me shaking my head thinking "is this dude for real?"

I think there's a fair circle of blokes of the same sort of ilk that would have an absolute laugh together in a bar over a few beers, it's sort of like a morning Ralph, morning Sam thing logging on each day.

easiest way is to ignore their posts...it's fun to watch them get more irritated when no one acknowledges their trolling :lol:

I know I've got to be better at not feeding them. Just can't help myself when I see stupid all over my screen.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby MW » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:12 am

I don't mind banter and exchanging that way...hell even I've been making fun of AFC this year...but some people I just ignore cause I know it pisses them right off
MW
Coach

Postby Brodlach » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:35 am

MW wrote:I don't mind banter and exchanging that way...hell even I've been making fun of AFC this year...but some people I just ignore cause I know it pisses them right off

Who said that

#justjokes
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4206 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:49 am

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:
Well, yes, I am for real. Dont strain your neck when you shake your head next time at my ego. :D

Mate, if I thought you had an ego problem I'd be questioning my own instincts, I love the way you pop your head in with the one liners etc.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:49 am

Booney wrote:Morning Ralph.

Morning Sam.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Spargo » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:49 am

Booney wrote:Morning Ralph.

Mornin’ Sam.
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ

Don’t lose your grip on the dreams of the past
You must fight just to keep them alive...
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5457 times
Been liked: 5089 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:50 am

MW wrote:

That has been highly demonstrated lately, "hey look at me, I'm doing something"
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby amber_fluid » Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:36 pm

Booney wrote:
MW wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:

I know I've got to be better at not feeding them. Just can't help myself when I see stupid all over my screen.

Screen or mirror? ;)

8)
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2217 times
Been liked: 2508 times

Postby The Dark Knight » Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:03 pm

Being made redundant yesterday (forced redundancy). It's been a pretty stressful eight weeks (we got six weeks notice as per the EBA then it was extended to eight weeks) not knowing what will happen but yesterday my time was up unfortunately.

Not the end of the world I know but I'm f**king shattered I lost my job. The silver lining is my healthy redundancy package for four and a bit years service as a tradesman, I was a contractor as a apprentice for four years.

So eight years and four months at ASC Shipbuilding, it was a huge part of my life and I gave it all I had. For the amount of bullshit and politics we had there I did love my job and I was never one to get caught up in those politics. I enjoyed it mostly because of the people I worked with, because I was there so long I knew most people working in production. I can't be too unhappy as I was given a great opportunity to start there in February 2010 first year out school and go all the way through until now. It's been an extremely convenient workplace for me being so close to my home and the pay was amazing. It's allowed me to live comfortably and buy my own home.

I wanted to be there for as long as possible and I made it aware I wanted to be there and I think that was my downfall given the backwards mentality of the management there. 19 guys out of 60 odd in our trade group were made redundant yesterday. We had to laugh as we were in a very selective group, most of us all around the same age 25-35, most on the second tier pay rate and some of us got a transfer from the structural (Heavy Fab) group to the Fab/Outfit (Light Fab) group on the last two years but most of all we all had the attitude of wanting to be there unlike some people we worked with. Most of us had never even had a one on one conversation with our trade manager before, he said to me he couldn't even put a face to my name!

One older guy I was pretty close with had not wanted to be there for a long time, did nearly no work, took heaps of time off and was a liability given his health and age. He was so certain he'd be made redundant he didn't bother turning up to work yesterday only for them to retain him! I know he will be so miserable that he didn't go yesterday.

We went down Semi to a few pubs for drinks together and some off the guys who aren't gutless who kept their jobs came and saw us for a beer or two. Think a few guys went pretty hard but I couldn't really drink in such a somber mood, I left them around 5 as all I wanted to do was come home and have my girlfriend come over and just have her support. Need her support more than ever at the moment, I'm very lucky I have her. She actually just started at a new workplace on Tuesday.

So now the search for a new job starts. Already been on Seek looking for Boilermaker jobs and been on the Workpac and Chandler MacLeod websites signing up. The main thing I need to do and need help with is my resume, haven't touched it or looked at it in years.
The Dark Knight
Coach

Has liked: 10298 times
Been liked: 1516 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby Dogwatcher » Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:08 pm

Mate, I'm sorry to read this.
Quite often you hear that everyone wants a redundancy, they were happy to get it.
Your post really hit home for me. Again, reminding me that employees are humans, not just numbers.

Keep punching. Your post reinforces what a good bloke you are and what an asset you will be to your next employer.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby Spargo » Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:10 pm

Dogwatcher wrote:Mate, I'm sorry to read this. Keep punching. Your post reinforces what a good bloke you are and what an asset you will be to your next employer.

I was going to post something very similar.
Stay positive TDK
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ

Don’t lose your grip on the dreams of the past
You must fight just to keep them alive...
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5457 times
Been liked: 5089 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:12 pm

The Dark Knight wrote:Being made redundant yesterday (forced redundancy). It's been a pretty stressful eight weeks (we got six weeks notice as per the EBA then it was extended to eight weeks) not knowing what will happen but yesterday my time was up unfortunately.

Not the end of the world I know but I'm f**king shattered I lost my job. The silver lining is my healthy redundancy package for four and a bit years service as a tradesman, I was a contractor as a apprentice for four years.

So eight years and four months at ASC Shipbuilding, it was a huge part of my life and I gave it all I had. For the amount of bullshit and politics we had there I did love my job and I was never one to get caught up in those politics. I enjoyed it mostly because of the people I worked with, because I was there so long I knew most people working in production. I can't be too unhappy as I was given a great opportunity to start there in February 2010 first year out school and go all the way through until now. It's been an extremely convenient workplace for me being so close to my home and the pay was amazing. It's allowed me to live comfortably and buy my own home.

I wanted to be there for as long as possible and I made it aware I wanted to be there and I think that was my downfall given the backwards mentality of the management there. 19 guys out of 60 odd in our trade group were made redundant yesterday. We had to laugh as we were in a very selective group, most of us all around the same age 25-35, most on the second tier pay rate and some of us got a transfer from the structural (Heavy Fab) group to the Fab/Outfit (Light Fab) group on the last two years but most of all we all had the attitude of wanting to be there unlike some people we worked with. Most of us had never even had a one on one conversation with our trade manager before, he said to me he couldn't even put a face to my name!

One older guy I was pretty close with had not wanted to be there for a long time, did nearly no work, took heaps of time off and was a liability given his health and age. He was so certain he'd be made redundant he didn't bother turning up to work yesterday only for them to retain him! I know he will be so miserable that he didn't go yesterday.

We went down Semi to a few pubs for drinks together and some off the guys who aren't gutless who kept their jobs came and saw us for a beer or two. Think a few guys went pretty hard but I couldn't really drink in such a somber mood, I left them around 5 as all I wanted to do was come home and have my girlfriend come over and just have her support. Need her support more than ever at the moment, I'm very lucky I have her. She actually just started at a new workplace on Tuesday.

So now the search for a new job starts. Already been on Seek looking for Boilermaker jobs and been on the Workpac and Chandler MacLeod websites signing up. The main thing I need to do and need help with is my resume, haven't touched it or looked at it in years.

Sorry to hear mate and best wishes with the job search, I'm sure you'll land on your feet.

As per the older guy, he probably retained his job because he'd cost shitloads more to make redundant, keep an ear out, they'll more than likely find a way to give him the arse in the next 12 months to avoid all the extra bonuses you get for being made redundant.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby The Ash Man » Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:15 pm

The Dark Knight wrote:Being made redundant yesterday (forced redundancy). It's been a pretty stressful eight weeks (we got six weeks notice as per the EBA then it was extended to eight weeks) not knowing what will happen but yesterday my time was up unfortunately.

That sucks TDK and I know that empty feeling, I was made redundant after 9 years in a previous role.

If you can handle FIFO look up Carrapateena Mine, I had the Downer guys in here last week and apparently heaps of positions up there
The Ash Man
Coach

Has liked: 381 times
Been liked: 260 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby The Dark Knight » Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:15 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:

Sorry to hear mate and best wishes with the job search, I'm sure you'll land on your feet.

As per the older guy, he probably retained his job because he'd cost shitloads more to make redundant, keep an ear out, they'll more than likely find a way to give him the arse in the next 12 months to avoid all the extra bonuses you get for being made redundant.
Thank mate, just been a daunting 24 hours.

Yes I think they'll wait for him to resign or they'll find a way to terminate his employment rather than paying him out.
The Dark Knight
Coach

Postby The Dark Knight » Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:20 pm

The Ash Man wrote:

That sucks TDK and I know that empty feeling, I was made redundant after 9 years in a previous role.

If you can handle FIFO look up Carrapateena Mine, I had the Downer guys in here last week and apparently heaps of positions up there
Ideally I don't want to do FIFO work, would rather something close to home but if worse comes to worse it's an option.

Ideally I go back to ASC within 6-12 for the OPV project, IF that gets up and running. I made sure our trade manager knew I wanted to come back pending future work.
The Dark Knight
Coach

Postby MW » Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:30 pm

Good luck TDK, sorry to hear mate
MW
Coach

Postby Booney » Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:30 pm

Sorry to hear, TDK. If there's a silver lining it's what you've described yourself, the place has been good to you for a long time allowing you to become a home owner probably well before your time and that's a reflection of you making the right choices and looking at the bigger picture, not something blokes your age on good incomes always do. I'm sure the Palais and places North West have benefited from people around you who weren't at wise with their money! That same philosophy, looking at the bigger picture, will hold you in good stead over the coming days and weeks as you seek out your next position.

Best wishes mate and if I hear any whispers I'll be sure to pass them on to you.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Footy Chick » Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:31 pm

I know it's not ideal but while you're still young and free, it might be worth your while doing a year or two of FIFO - it'll get that house paid off much faster. My brother saved over $40k in 6 months , whilst youre FIFO, you're not spending money on much else.
Don't play games with a girl who can play 'em better...

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Has liked: 1737 times
Been liked: 2144 times

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  General Discussion