12%

Total votes : 77

Re: Adelaide Footy League Division 2 - 2018

Postby Q. » Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:29 pm

whufc wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:
daysofourlives wrote:
Might have had a few :D
I still reckon they like it, in a look at us, we are stamping out viloence kind of way.
Why is this not an issue in pretty much any other league in the state?
The more i watch the incident i reckon its a 2 weeker, you cant tell if it was a punch or a push, i think he has tried to push the tagger away and got him slightly higher than intended. I reckon thats the way it wouldve been interpreted had it been a club that wasnt on good behaviour. Hope Stebles appeal gets his suspension down graded but i highly doubt it. Imagine if it was changed to two weeks, seems a bit rough to kick a club out for that

A few points:
1: You're involved in the Barossa, you guys play the same teams year in, year out and are pretty familiar with the going-ons with rival clubs, you'd have older folk that catch up when town plays town to talk of old times along with current players, I think word gets around pretty easily in the country comps and umpires are more aware of who to watch.
2: There is close to 100 senior games going on each weekend in the AdFL, it immediately increases the chances of misdemeanors or anything for that matter.
3: Despite the footage, and I thought the same thing as you initially by looking at it but the player was concussed and took no part on Saturday either.
4. I think Alex is a very respected player through the football community, it seems that he has fallen victim to other acts prior to his from players representing the SNFC.

I can see Jamie Thomas getting involved heavily in the next few months to get the place up and running again, he's a very proud man who demands respect, and gets it. They will be back, they will be a force again.

My limited experience in the country also leads me to think there a few less problems due to on-field acts not always purely remaining on-field.

If you stuff up in a match up here (im talking about thuggery and violence) in the Clare region your reputation as a person, your reputation as an employee, as a member of the community would be completely frowned upon and could have much more severe consequences.

If im playing for Eastern Park and whack a Lonsdale player apart from my own club and teammates there isn't much off-field reaction. The 'story' gets lost amongst a lot of the other news stories from the weekend both sport and non sport and your hardly going to cross paths with representatives from Lonsdale etc.

I find even when im at the pub up here, going to the local woolworths etc I'm always switched and being polite to everyone etc etc.
I was having this discussion yesterday. You are far more accountable to the community in country footy.

There is relative anonymity in the primordial soup of city ammo leagues.
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby The Big Shrek » Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:59 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
locky801 wrote:What happens if the Stengle verdict gets over turned. That would throw a huge problem out there

It might get lessened, it wont get overturned.

Even if the penalty is reduced my view is the league would need to reconsider the decision to ban SN.
The Big Shrek
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 366 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:07 pm

The Big Shrek wrote:
Even if the penalty is reduced my view is the league would need to reconsider the decision to ban SN.

I get what you're putting down but the problem lies within the sanctions that the SNFC signed off with back in December.

The SNFC have officially announced that they will be accepting the punishment so I reckon that part is cemented, it would cause massive issues if it all backflipped now with all the clearances passed through etc.

I do hope there were clause's in place for any of the players that sought clearances to be able to return to Salisbury North free of obligation from their adopted clubs.

On a hypothetical note, imagine the turmoil if it was overturned, they were accepted back in and then some blow in playing in their C's stuffed up?
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby Trader » Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:17 pm

The Big Shrek wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:
locky801 wrote:What happens if the Stengle verdict gets over turned. That would throw a huge problem out there

Yeah all the talk was that SN agreed preseason that any intentional striking would see the club removed.
If the appeal gets the intentional downgraded then it puts the league in an awkward position with respect to the club de-registration.
Danny Southern telling Plugga he's fat, I'd like to see that!
Trader
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 794 times

Postby the smokey » Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:26 pm

Trader wrote:
The Big Shrek wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:

Yeah all the talk was that SN agreed preseason that any intentional striking would see the club removed.
If the appeal gets the intentional downgraded then it puts the league in an awkward position with respect to the club de-registration.

I would be shocked if with all the media attention that there would be any downgrade on the intentional side!
the smokey
Rookie

Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 27 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:07 pm

the smokey wrote:
I would be shocked if with all the media attention that there would be any downgrade on the intentional side!

Possibly the level of impact.

I'm not sure what you mean by "all" the media attention, it hit the news, it was responded to by the SNFC.
From what I've seen on social media it's been more supportive of Alex from the community football public opposed to pot shots at the SNFC.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby the smokey » Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:13 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
the smokey wrote:

I'm not sure what you mean by "all" the media attention, it hit the news, it was responded to by the SNFC.
From what I've seen on social media it's been more supportive of Alex from the community football public opposed to pot shots at the SNFC.

thats more media attention than most incidents on an amateur league football field get and there was a fair bit of outcry on social media (yes there was some support for him as well)
But if they go back on there decision too far and it effects what happens for the rest of the year it will look like a joke considering that a lot of the blokes have been cleared to play elsewhere already.
the smokey
Rookie

Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 27 times

Postby Look Good In Leather » Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:23 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
daysofourlives wrote:
I still reckon they like it, in a look at us, we are stamping out viloence kind of way.
The more i watch the incident i reckon its a 2 weeker, you cant tell if it was a punch or a push, i think he has tried to push the tagger away and got him slightly higher than intended. I reckon thats the way it wouldve been interpreted had it been a club that wasnt on good behaviour. Hope Stebles appeal gets his suspension down graded but i highly doubt it. Imagine if it was changed to two weeks, seems a bit rough to kick a club out for that

A few points:
1: You're involved in the Barossa, you guys play the same teams year in, year out and are pretty familiar with the going-ons with rival clubs, you'd have older folk that catch up when town plays town to talk of old times along with current players, I think word gets around pretty easily in the country comps and umpires are more aware of who to watch.
2: There is close to 100 senior games going on each weekend in the AdFL, it immediately increases the chances of misdemeanors or anything for that matter.
3: Despite the footage, and I thought the same thing as you initially by looking at it but the player was concussed and took no part on Saturday either.
4. I think Alex is a very respected player through the football community, it seems that he has fallen victim to other acts prior to his from players representing the SNFC.

I can see Jamie Thomas getting involved heavily in the next few months to get the place up and running again, he's a very proud man who demands respect, and gets it. They will be back, they will be a force again.

The community element of region based competitions is vastly underestimated. This incident is a sign that the centralisation of Adelaide metropolitan football in the 1970s to mid 1990s has had a detrimental effect on the game.

It is a shame the SANFL did not put more effort into saving the metropolitan district leagues rather than letting most them all collapse into a bloated SAAFL, with the Southern FL & Hills FLs as the only survivors.

It is clear that the CDFA was a completely different style and culture to the largely parklands/college/amateur SAAFL. That Salisbury North is the most successful club now out of that competition is demonstrative of this. Violent acts are not appropriate at any point, but there seems to be less on-field activity of that nature when it is the northern clubs playing each other.

Perhaps the best thing for football overall would be for the northern clubs to band together to reform the Northern Metropolitan Football League.
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Has liked: 150 times
Been liked: 284 times
Grassroots Team: Christies Beach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:23 pm

the smokey wrote:
thats more media attention than most incidents on an amateur league football field get and there was a fair bit of outcry on social media (yes there was some support for him as well)
But if they go back on there decision too far and it effects what happens for the rest of the year it will look like a joke considering that a lot of the blokes have been cleared to play elsewhere already.

Exactly, whilst there may be a reduction in games suspended, I couldn't see the decision being totally upheld.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:37 pm

Look Good In Leather wrote:
The community element of region based competitions is vastly underestimated. This incident is a sign that the centralisation of Adelaide metropolitan football in the 1970s to mid 1990s has had a detrimental effect on the game.

It is a shame the SANFL did not put more effort into saving the metropolitan district leagues rather than letting most them all collapse into a bloated SAAFL, with the Southern FL & Hills FLs as the only survivors.

It is clear that the CDFA was a completely different style and culture to the largely parklands/college/amateur SAAFL. That Salisbury North is the most successful club now out of that competition is demonstrative of this. Violent acts are not appropriate at any point, but there seems to be less on-field activity of that nature when it is the northern clubs playing each other.

Perhaps the best thing for football overall would be for the northern clubs to band together to reform the Northern Metropolitan Football League.

Salisbury North left the CDFA/NMFL for the SAFA well before the comp was defunct, they had pokies and yes, they were very successful prior to leaving.
When the NMFL was the governing body there wasn't a lot of money going into it and clubs were all contemplating joining the SAAFL, as it was there weren't many left and it was somewhat of a unanimous decision as no one wanted to be left to close the door or miss the opportunity to join.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Trader » Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:37 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
the smokey wrote:

Given the hit knocked the Unley player out, and the Unley player missed the following weeks play, I'd be surprised if they can get it re-graded to medium, especially when you consider High isn't the top end. They have low, medium, high and severe.
Trader
Assistant Coach

Postby footys the winner » Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:54 pm

Interested to hear everyones thoughts re: Jeremy Cameron 5 week suspension.

His victim had minor internal bleeding on the brain.

Alex Stengle on the other hand...
footys the winner
Under 18s

Has liked: 27 times
Been liked: 15 times

Postby jo172 » Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:14 pm

footys the winner wrote:Interested to hear everyones thoughts re: Jeremy Cameron 5 week suspension.

Appallingly low. Should have been double imo
jo172
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1198 times
Been liked: 724 times

Postby Senor Moto Gadili » Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:27 pm

footys the winner wrote:Interested to hear everyones thoughts re: Jeremy Cameron 5 week suspension.

Jeremy Cameron would get 8-10 in Adelaide FL.
Striking/Intentional/High/Severe
Senor Moto Gadili
Veteran

Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 532 times

Postby Jimmy_041 » Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:42 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
daysofourlives wrote:

A few points:

In the infamous words of an illustrious SAAFL Life Member: FMD

I wasn't living in Adelaide when the CDFA teams joined the SAAFL
Can someone please enlighten me on the reasons why the CDFA folded and the clubs joined the "bloated" SAAFL

And I'd love to know out how the "bloated" SAAFL have lured clubs away from the LGIL's fantastic SFL.
Last edited by Jimmy_041 on Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jimmy_041
Coach

Has liked: 718 times
Been liked: 1071 times
Grassroots Team: Prince Alfred OC

Postby LaughingKookaburra » Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:14 pm

"Centralisation" is an extremely general comment without context. The league has taken a stance and it's a good thing.

There is no room for thuggery and bringing in the 12 game rule and what follows from that is the best thing this league has ever done. I say this as a bloke that started playing when it was at its worst and still when trying to catch blokes now as a player it's a far better playing experience with a much better standard also.
Can you bring a man to his feet when defeat is on repeat?
LaughingKookaburra
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 738 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby The Ash Man » Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:02 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
daysofourlives wrote:

A few points:

I think that this has more to do with urban sprawl than anything.
The Ash Man
Coach

Has liked: 381 times
Been liked: 260 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby Wasim1 » Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:30 pm

Having read the email and knowing the mindset of many clubs, this idea of a choice made by the clubs on the outcome of clearances ex SN has not got a hope in hell of getting through.
Kernahan has gone to lengths to ensure that and is paying lip service to clubs by giving them an array of choices.

What about the financial loss clubs will incur from NO home games in the last 8 rounds?
It is possible that the remaining clubs may have minimum of 4 Home games left so they lose revenue from Beer sales, BBQ, Canteen, raffles etc so who is going to challenge the league for compensation on losing dollars which may be in excess of 20K?
Wasim1
Mini-League

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 3 times

Postby Q. » Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:16 pm

Wasim1 wrote:Having read the email and knowing the mindset of many clubs, this idea of a choice made by the clubs on the outcome of clearances ex SN has not got a hope in hell of getting through.
Kernahan has gone to lengths to ensure that and is paying lip service to clubs by giving them an array of choices.

What about the financial loss clubs will incur from NO home games in the last 8 rounds?
It is possible that the remaining clubs may have minimum of 4 Home games left so they lose revenue from Beer sales, BBQ, Canteen, raffles etc so who is going to challenge the league for compensation on losing dollars which may be in excess of 20K?
Why is it the league's fault that SNFC broke the conditions of the agreement? Wouldn't the onus be on SNFC to compensate clubs for loss of revenue.
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby Trader » Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:20 pm

20k from one home game???
That's a fair amount of profit!
Trader
Assistant Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Adelaide Footy League