16%
Woodville South
5%
Smithfield
7%

Total votes : 85

Re: Adelaide Footy League Division 5 - 2018

Postby Nixon » Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:05 pm

You’re both absolutely right, there are no premierships to be won in June, and finals are a completely different game! Huge clash this week against woody south who will be desperate to sure up a finals spot of their own, can’t wait to see how it plays out.
Nixon
Mini-League

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 2 times

Postby fido bedow » Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:45 am

Nixon wrote:You’re both absolutely right, there are no premierships to be won in June, and finals are a completely different game! Huge clash this week against woody south who will be desperate to sure up a finals spot of their own, can’t wait to see how it plays out.

A nice little buffer CBC and Lockleys have built on the chasing pack in the A grade, 3rd spot seems to be still well and truly up for grabs, between 3 teams.
Saw kenilworth v pulteney on Saturday, kenilworth looked to be missing a heap of 1st choice players and played accordingly.
They got absolutely smashed in the ruck and clearances which went a long way to helping pulteney get the result.
Motlop missed again and seems to play every 2 or 3 weeks which must be frustrating for the Kookas.

The B grade comp looks very tight, with some high standard games I’ve witnessed this year.
Any of the top 5 could take it out with availability of players being so important.
fido bedow
Rookie

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 0 time

Postby zedman » Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:10 am

fido bedow wrote:
Nixon wrote:You’re both absolutely right, there are no premierships to be won in June, and finals are a completely different game! Huge clash this week against woody south who will be desperate to sure up a finals spot of their own, can’t wait to see how it plays out.

A nice little buffer CBC and Lockleys have built on the chasing pack in the A grade, 3rd spot seems to be still well and truly up for grabs, between 3 teams.
Saw kenilworth v pulteney on Saturday, kenilworth looked to be missing a heap of 1st choice players and played accordingly.
They got absolutely smashed in the ruck and clearances which went a long way to helping pulteney get the result.
Motlop missed again and seems to play every 2 or 3 weeks which must be frustrating for the Kookas.

The B grade comp looks very tight, with some high standard games I’ve witnessed this year.
Any of the top 5 could take it out with availability of players being so important.

tipped PFC on the radio show saturday morning but only by a goal!..just thought KFC had a few out and the big oval suits PFC a lot..very interesting game for KFC at HVFC this week..valleys form holding up as noted last week and pushed BOSFC hard on the weekend..
zedman
Coach

Has liked: 1077 times
Been liked: 387 times

Postby The Ash Man » Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:00 am

I don't usually complain about umpires on here but is anyone else finding them getting worse lately?

The 14yo girl that umpired my U6s yesterday had more of an idea than the 2 that rocked up Saturday.

Can we ban umpires from watching Friday night footy?!
The Ash Man
Coach

Has liked: 381 times
Been liked: 260 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:05 am

The Ash Man wrote:I don't usually complain about umpires on here but is anyone else finding them getting worse lately?

The 14yo girl that umpired my U6s yesterday had more of an idea than the 2 that rocked up Saturday.

Can we ban umpires from watchingFriday night footy?!

And players, the amount of time I hear "he dragged it in, deliberate"
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby zedman » Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:11 am

The Ash Man wrote:I don't usually complain about umpires on here but is anyone else finding them getting worse lately?

i want to know what happened to the holding the ball rule?

players are given far to long to dispose now or be judged as having prior opportunity..

where is the reward for tackling?

i think the umpires might be as confused as us with interpreting it..

do the league understand that giving the free removes congestion?

we laid over 52 tackles saturday and got one holding the ball..thats not normal..
zedman
Coach

Postby mighty hounds » Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:15 am

zedman wrote:

players are given far to long to dispose now or be judged as having prior opportunity..

we laid over 52 tackles saturday and got one holding the ball..thats not normal..

A couple of weeks ago i saw an umpire pay a mark and then as the player went to kick the ball about 5 seconds later blew his whistle and reversed the call to in the back. Never seen that in 21 years
mighty hounds
Coach

Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 285 times

Postby Inallseriousness » Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:18 am

zedman wrote:

At least you didn’t have 7 frees paid against you in the goal square :roll: The most unusual decision though was a touch off the boot called touched by the WS goal umpire only to be overturned by the field umpire because he thought he was our goal umpire and was erring our way :roll:
Inallseriousness
Under 16s

Has liked: 119 times
Been liked: 106 times
Grassroots Team: Ingle Farm

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:19 am

zedman wrote:

I can't speak from an AdFL umpire point of view but bloody hell it's a fun gig as a maggot.

Player from team A picks up the ball, gets tackled immediately and ball is dislodged then coach B yells "holding the ball", a minute later player from team B picks up the ball, gets tackled immediately and ball is dislodged so coach B yells "how did he get rid of it?"

It's not that hard to find a level of consistency, I'd rather be on the lenient side and pick the obvious frees than plucking out everything.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby zedman » Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:29 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:
zedman wrote:

I can't speak from an AdFL umpire point of view but bloody hell it's a fun gig as a maggot.

Player from team A picks up the ball, gets tackled immediately and ball is dislodged then coach B yells "holding the ball", a minute later player from team B picks up the ball, gets tackled immediately and ball is dislodged so coach B yells "how did he get rid of it?"

It's not that hard to find a level of consistency, I'd rather be on the lenient side and pick the obvious frees than plucking out everything.

its not that simple LM..the adfl has an interpretation of their own making..note i am not knocking umpires..i am knocking the interpretation they are told to enforce..it confuses them and us..and leads to frustration..and then what comes next?
zedman
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:45 am

zedman wrote:
its not that simple LM..the adfl has an interpretation of their own making..note i am not knocking umpires..i am knocking the interpretation they are told to enforce..it confuses them and us..and leads to frustration..and then what comes next?

I could understand, the beauty of the league that I officiate is that we all are pretty much on the same page so there isn't a different set of legislation once you cross the centre line.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby The Bedge » Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:12 pm

Weeeeeeelllll let me tell you..!!!
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3188 times
Been liked: 3989 times

Postby Dutchy » Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:57 pm

zedman wrote:

We noticed this in our trial this year against Goody Saints, umpires actually explained at half time that they are instructed to give a player 3 seconds to get rid of the ball once tackled, it was very weird and basically no HTB's paid. Im all for giving the player time to get rid of the ball but it was ridiculous.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3482 times

Postby zedman » Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:17 pm

Dutchy wrote:
zedman wrote:

We noticed this in our trial this year against Goody Saints, umpires actually explained at half time that they are instructed to give a player 3 seconds to get rid of the ball once tackled, it was very weird and basically no HTB's paid. Im all for giving the player time to get rid of the ball but it was ridiculous.

This.

Prior opportunity is all that should matter, paying frees opens up the game, not paying frees keeps it congested.
zedman
Coach

Postby The Bedge » Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:39 pm

Couple of times the umpiring Sat left me scratching my head wondering WTF was going on..

1. <<edited at posters request>>

2. Ingle Farm close within I think it was around 7 points in the 3rd quarter after kicking 4 in a row (one to end the 2nd qtr, three at the start of the 3rd). Desperately in front of the Farmers goals, the Woody South player throws the ball off the ground a good 10m, hits his player on the chest and away they go.. Sorry didn't throw - "he scooped it".. Woody South get to the other end, snap on goal is called touched by the WS goal umpire, umpire runs in and over rules and calls it a goal - two goal turn around.

3. "15 metres" - during the 2nd quarter, our player receives the ball and begins running towards goal, takes probably 7 or 8 steps and is penalised for running too far - umpire explains "the rule is 15m regardless of how big your steps are you take".

4. Woody South player tackled in the 4th quarter 2m inside the boundary, forward pocket IF end - everyone looking to see if HTB or what, umpire signals boundary throw in.. I pointed at the ball and told the umpire it's not out of bounds, its well in.. he just smiled at me and said "throw it in". :roll:

5. Ingle Farm have the ball in the 2nd term, midway between half back and the wing.. umpire goes arse up, stops the play, get to his feet, restarts the game with a WS free kick.

6. Following an IF goal, WS defender goes and talks to his team mates.. umpire yells as him and basically tells him to shut up. :lol:
The Bedge
Coach

Postby The Bedge » Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:44 pm

Umpiring aside though, was a good days football overall. Woody South could've iced the game early if they kicked straight in the 1st half, but kept the Farmers in the game. Was played in good spirits, enjoyable game and a good bunch of lads I thought.

We tried our guts out for 4 qtrs in all 3 grades, and despite the scores I thought it was (in the A/B grades) some of the better efforts produced this season. B Grade managed to restrict WS to 4 goals to 3 in the second half, Casazza kept goalless after kicking 2 in 2min early in the game, but didn't have a match up for Green.

A grade kids just chased hard, worked their arses off and kept trying, but were outclassed, and not as fit which was disappointing because their effort didn't necessarily deserve a 9 goal loss IMO.
The Bedge
Coach

Postby The Bedge » Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:54 pm

Don’t judge a club on one blokes actions, happened early and WS didn’t put him back on, plus they weren’t like full on whacks just little love taps, toughen the kids up - like welcome to A grade footy young pup :lol:

Plus didn’t whack me so I still enjoyed myself :lol:
The Bedge
Coach

Postby Inallseriousness » Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:05 pm

The Bedge wrote:Don’t judge a club on one blokes actions, happened early and WS didn’t put him back on, plus they weren’t like full on whacks just little love taps, toughen the kids up - like welcome to A grade footy young pup :lol:

Plus didn’t whack me so I still enjoyed myself :lol:

Happened in the third term and he didn’t return. Game was played generally in good spirits, I agree, he didn’t go overboard was just a little aggressive on a 16 year old. Congratulations to Bomber on his 300th. WS hospitality after tha game was much appreciated as well. Good luck for the remainder of the season
Inallseriousness
Under 16s

Has liked: 119 times
Been liked: 106 times
Grassroots Team: Ingle Farm

Postby Senor Moto Gadili » Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:58 pm

zedman wrote:

I can tell you it's no different in Div1. There were a total of 3 holding the ball decisions paid in the TTG v Goodwood Saints game on Saturday and one of those was when the TTG ruckman grabbed the ball out of a ruck contest and was deemed to have had prior opportunity. I would say the average number of holding the ball decisions per game would be less than 5. The umpires are pretty consistent, but it is easy to be consistent when you continually give the guy in possession the benefit of the doubt. It is definitely leading to congestion and a certain amount of frustration with players. Players know they won't be penalised, so they just take the tackle and go for a ball up if there isn't a clear option to kick or handball to a team mate. I'm not saying we should umpire our games to the same standard as AFL, but reducing the time on prior opportunity, rewarding the tackler and paying a few more holding the ball decisions would definitely open the game up a lot more.
Senor Moto Gadili
Veteran

Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 532 times

Postby Executive Member » Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:01 pm

Senor Moto Gadili wrote:
zedman wrote:

I can tell you it's no different in Div1. There were a total of 3 holding the ball decisions paid in the TTG v Goodwood Saints game on Saturday and one of those was when the TTG ruckman grabbed the ball out of a ruck contest and was deemed to have had prior opportunity. I would say the average number of holding the ball decisions per game would be less than 5. The umpires are pretty consistent, but it is easy to be consistent when you continually give the guy in possession the benefit of the doubt. It is definitely leading to congestion and a certain amount of frustration with players. Players know they won't be penalised, so they just take the tackle and go for a ball up if there isn't a clear option to kick or handball to a team mate. I'm not saying we should umpire our games to the same standard as AFL, but reducing the time on prior opportunity, rewarding the tackler and paying a few more holding the ball decisions would definitely open the game up a lot more.

I always though that you should give the bloke getting the footy more reward than a bloke sweating off and tackling, its a part of the game the AFL has gone in the wrong direction, rewarding the tackler, unless the bloke has been run down then don't pay HTB on a bloke putting his head over the ball :D
Executive Member
Veteran

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 140 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Adelaide Footy League