Barry Hall sacked from Melbourne Triple M

Talk on the national game

Re: Barry Hall sacked from Melbourne Triple M

Postby Booney » Wed Jul 04, 2018 5:30 pm

amber_fluid wrote:
Booney wrote:
whufc wrote:Are you saying you have never had 'slightly inappropriate' jokes with your mates or inner friends.

Absolutely I have and absolutely people around me have and I don't particularly take offence at things easily, quite the opposite in fact, but here in 2018 it's a different world, what was once acceptable in the most candid ( read locker room ) of situations isn't ( in the main ) anymore. But, it's not about me anymore, it's about the person on the "end" of the joke, or the race, or the gender, or the gender neutral.

I'm being trained, slowly, I still use terms that people might fight offensive in my own mind at times but I don't blurt them out like I once did.

The world is changing mate and I'm struggling to keep up, I'm a 42 year old western suburbs dinosaur with a wharfie back ground but now I see things differently than I used to. My kids are 21 and nearly 18 and we're extremely close, I think they've given me some perspective from the generation driving this change and I'm on board with it.

That's how I see it, anyway.

At the end of the day someone, somewhere will be offended by what you say no matter what or how you say it.
You can’t please everyone either in today’s society.

We do have to change and be mindful of other people’s feelings more but gee some people need to harden the eff up still.

*Insert dinosaur grunting here*
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7466 times
Been liked: 10753 times

Postby whufc » Wed Jul 04, 2018 5:33 pm

Booney wrote:
whufc wrote:Are you saying you have never had 'slightly inappropriate' jokes with your mates or inner friends.

Absolutely I have and absolutely people around me have and I don't particularly take offence at things easily, quite the opposite in fact, but here in 2018 it's a different world, what was once acceptable in the most candid ( read locker room ) of situations isn't ( in the main ) anymore. But, it's not about me anymore, it's about the person on the "end" of the joke, or the race, or the gender, or the gender neutral.

I'm being trained, slowly, I still use terms that people might fight offensive in my own mind at times but I don't blurt them out like I once did.

The world is changing mate and I'm struggling to keep up, I'm a 42 year old western suburbs dinosaur with a wharfie back ground but now I see things differently than I used to. My kids are 21 and nearly 18 and we're extremely close, I think they've given me some perspective from the generation driving this change and I'm on board with it.

I agree mate but I think a joke has always been about how the ‘other’ person takes it just that in today’s society ‘the other person’ is more likely to be offended, which is fine and will mean people will need to analysis there audience better.

That is what I believe Hall is guilty off.

That style of joke would be said everyday in ‘locker rooms’ or ‘inner sanctums of friends’. Do i think Barry promotes rape or thinks rape is a laughing matter........absolutely not.

At no point do I think his comments or style of joke was appropriate for a unknown public audience EVER. In fact I’m ultra reserved being the intravert when it comes to discussion topics with ‘new’ people.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5564 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby amber_fluid » Wed Jul 04, 2018 5:37 pm

I’m a dinosaur like a lot of people our age but I at least recognise we live in a different world these days.
I don’t say half the sh*t I use too.

Call me whatever you like, just don’t call me late for dinner.
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2217 times
Been liked: 2508 times

Postby bennymacca » Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:48 pm

Booney wrote:

exactly. im not quite a dinosaur but times have changed even since I was in my early 20s. I used to call things "gay" all the time when I didn't like it. Most people did, but I made a concerted effort to change as it just wasn't needed - it doesn't affect me if I don't use that language anymore but I could most certainly affect people around me.

currently im working on trying not to refer to groups of people as "guys" when that group includes women but I still do it all the time. This is especially important in my workplace where most people are indeed guys but would make the few women left out.

have to say im not doing a very good job at it either.
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby stan » Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:24 am

bennymacca wrote:
Booney wrote:

exactly. im not quite a dinosaur but times have changed even since I was in my early 20s. I used to call things "gay" all the time when I didn't like it. Most people did, but I made a concerted effort to change as it just wasn't needed - it doesn't affect me if I don't use that language anymore but I could most certainly affect people around me.

currently im working on trying not to refer to groups of people as "guys" when that group includes women but I still do it all the time. This is especially important in my workplace where most people are indeed guys but would make the few women left out.

Are you assuming genders? ;)
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1253 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby whufc » Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:30 am

bennymacca wrote:
Booney wrote:

Agree, I think im around a similar era to you where everything was 'gay'. I would never ever ever ever use that term now to describe something I didn't like whether that be in public or with my inner sanctum.

BUT imho there is still a place amongst your own inner sanctum of people you know for dark humour, seeing the funnier side of bad situations etc etc. Being of smaller stature a lot of my mates will joke around about being a jocket etc etc I have no problems with that at all. Now if someone I had never met in public thought it was funny joke within a minute of meeting me I would consider to be extremely inappropriate.
Last edited by whufc on Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
whufc
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:17 am

Yep
bennymacca
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:02 am

amber_fluid wrote:I’m a dinosaur like a lot of people our age but I at least recognise we live in a different world these days.

Similar ilk here, I don't get offended easily but have curbed my payouts to suit society, it's open slather with mates etc. though.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby whufc » Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:05 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:
amber_fluid wrote:I’m a dinosaur like a lot of people our age but I at least recognise we live in a different world these days.

Similar ilk here, I don't get offended easily but have curbed my payouts to suit society, it's open slather with mates etc. though.

You would be brutal!!!!!
whufc
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:11 am

whufc wrote:
You would be brutal!!!!!

I do ok :D .
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby FlyingHigh » Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:36 am

bennymacca wrote:
Booney wrote:

Why are you referring to Australian males as "guys" in the first place?
FlyingHigh
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 81 times
Been liked: 173 times

Postby whufc » Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:21 am

I've always referred to a 'group of people' regardless of gender as guys. My Jamaican mother and grandad always have so I just picked it up I suppose.
whufc
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:27 am

whufc wrote:I've always referred to a 'group of people' regardless of gender as guys. My Jamaican mother and grandad always have so I just picked it up I suppose.

Yeah mun.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Bum Crack » Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:31 am

whufc wrote:I've always referred to a 'group of people' regardless of gender as guys. My Jamaican mother and grandad always have so I just picked it up I suppose.

I do too. People who find that offensive need to get a life.
So you've seen everything have you?
Yep
Have you ever seen a man eat his own head?
No
Well you haven't seen everything then have you.
Bum Crack
Coach

Has liked: 320 times
Been liked: 884 times
Grassroots Team: Berri

Postby bennymacca » Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:26 pm

Bum Crack wrote:

Well I’ve always done that too but I’ve had conversations with a few women at my former workplace where they felt uncomfortable or left out when there was a meeting of people where they were the only woman and people would always say guys or gents when referring to the group.

Personally I never thought it was that big a deal but after speaking with them I get where they were coming from (and no they weren’t being bitches about it either)

So it doesn’t affect my life to say “everyone” or something similar instead of guys when it’s mixed company so why not try and be more inclusive
bennymacca
Coach

Postby westcoastpanther » Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:27 pm

bennymacca wrote:
Bum Crack wrote:

Well I’ve always done that too but I’ve had conversations with a few women at my former workplace where they felt uncomfortable or left out when there was a meeting of people where they were the only woman and people would always say guys or gents when referring to the group.

Personally I never thought it was that big a deal but after speaking with them I get where they were coming from (and no they weren’t being bitches about it either)

So it doesn’t affect my life to say “everyone” or something similar instead of guys when it’s mixed company so why not try and be more inclusive

Said women would be idiots then, grow tfu....
Hi, My name is Ron 'Bluey' Dunn. Did you know I played in the 61 & 62 Tasman Premiership sides....
westcoastpanther
Coach

Has liked: 66 times
Been liked: 150 times
Grassroots Team: Boston

Postby bennymacca » Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:44 pm

So women need to grow up, not the people who want to keep referring to them as blokes? Interesting.

This isn’t about “bowing down to minorities” or whatever I think it’s just basic decency and inclusivity
bennymacca
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:56 pm

What can we call someone gender neutral?

Asking for a friend.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby HH3 » Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:58 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:What can we call someone gender neutral?

Asking for a friend.

Sup, peeps!

Covers everyone.
I TOLD YOU SO

2013/14 NFL Tipping Comp Champion
HH3
Coach

Has liked: 3301 times
Been liked: 2432 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby bennymacca » Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:59 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:What can we call someone gender neutral?

Asking for a friend.

Ask them
bennymacca
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL