The South Australian Political Landscape

Labor, Liberal, Greens, Democrats? Here's the place to discuss.

Re: The South Australian Political Landscape

Postby heater31 » Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:50 pm

They're Targeting the wrong drugs.....
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1263 times

Postby Jimmy_041 » Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:52 pm

Booney wrote:Not often do I say this....

Rest of the world...>>>>>

South Australia...<<<<<

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The South Australian Government wants to dramatically increase penalties for marijuana possession, as it wages what it says is a "war on drugs".

The maximum fine for cannabis possession would be quadrupled to $2,000 under laws to be introduced to Parliament this week.

A new maximum prison sentence of two years would be introduced — the same as drugs such as ecstasy or heroin.

Attorney-General Vickie Chapman said marijuana needed to be treated the same as other controlled and illegal drugs, rather than like jaywalking.

Cannabis possession has been decriminalised in South Australia since 1987, and the most common penalty for possessing less than 25 grams is a $125 fine.

Quadrupling cannabis possession fines was a Liberal election promise as part of a "war on drugs" slogan.

Other measures included allowing drug-sniffing dogs into schools.

"The plan is to review and increase penalties across the board, from using to supplying, and reducing the opportunity to say, 'well, I'll have treatment," Ms Chapman said.

"We're bringing it into parity [with other drugs]."

Ms Chapman said too many people were taking advantage of a drug diversion program, which they will now only be allowed to go to twice in a four-year period.

"If we give people a chance to have treatment a couple of times, that's fine, but really this a limit on how lenient we can be in giving people a chance to have treatment instead of a penalty," she said.

"…We endorse that that's an opportunity that should be given, but third time around you don't get that opportunity."

Increasing fines for cannabis possession was a recommendation of deputy coroner Anthony Schapel in his 2017 findings into the murder of 18-year-old Lewis McPherson by 17-year-old Liam Humbles in 2012.

Police issued Humbles with a drug diversion notice because he said cannabis in his possession was for personal use.

Opposition to changes from lawyers, doctors and the Greens

The Law Society of South Australia said it would prefer drug use to be treated as a health issue rather than a criminal one.

The chair of the society's criminal law committee, Rachael Shaw said the new laws would clog up an already busy and stretched justice system.

"The society does not support at all the idea in particular that we remove or limit the ability of people to access counselling and education through what is now the diversion program, which has been in place for many years and instead put these people in the criminal justice system," Ms Shaw told ABC Radio Adelaide.

Dr David Caldicott, the clinical lead at the Australian National University's Australian Medicinal Cannabis Observatory, questioned whether the laws would decrease use or harm from marijuana.

"We know for a fact introducing harsher penalties does neither of those things," Dr Caldicott said.

"Maybe it's to generate revenue.

"The likeliest scenario for its purpose is to send a message to those who support these policies — it's a form of virtue-signalling."

Rather than a war on drugs, Greens MLC Tammy Franks said the proposed laws were "a war on the homeless, Aboriginal people and the poor" who were least able to afford to defend themselves in court.

Greens in Wally World again
Its the middle class that cant afford to defend themselves in Court
Jimmy_041
Coach

Has liked: 718 times
Been liked: 1072 times
Grassroots Team: Prince Alfred OC

Postby Leaping Lindner » Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:52 pm

South Australia...<<<<<

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The South Australian Government wants to dramatically increase penalties for marijuana possession, as it wages what it says is a "war on drugs".

The maximum fine for cannabis possession would be quadrupled to $2,000 under laws to be introduced to Parliament this week.

A new maximum prison sentence of two years would be introduced — the same as drugs such as ecstasy or heroin.

Attorney-General Vickie Chapman said marijuana needed to be treated the same as other controlled and illegal drugs, rather than like jaywalking.

Cannabis possession has been decriminalised in South Australia since 1987, and the most common penalty for possessing less than 25 grams is a $125 fine.

Quadrupling cannabis possession fines was a Liberal election promise as part of a "war on drugs" slogan.

"The plan is to review and increase penalties across the board, from using to supplying, and reducing the opportunity to say, 'well, I'll have treatment," Ms Chapman said.

Ms Chapman said too many people were taking advantage of a drug diversion program, which they will now only be allowed to go to twice in a four-year period.

"If we give people a chance to have treatment a couple of times, that's fine, but really this a limit on how lenient we can be in giving people a chance to have treatment instead of a penalty," she said.

"…We endorse that that's an opportunity that should be given, but third time around you don't get that opportunity."

Increasing fines for cannabis possession was a recommendation of deputy coroner Anthony Schapel in his 2017 findings into the murder of 18-year-old Lewis McPherson by 17-year-old Liam Humbles in 2012.

Police issued Humbles with a drug diversion notice because he said cannabis in his possession was for personal use.

The Law Society of South Australia said it would prefer drug use to be treated as a health issue rather than a criminal one.

The chair of the society's criminal law committee, Rachael Shaw said the new laws would clog up an already busy and stretched justice system.

"The society does not support at all the idea in particular that we remove or limit the ability of people to access counselling and education through what is now the diversion program, which has been in place for many years and instead put these people in the criminal justice system," Ms Shaw told ABC Radio Adelaide.

Dr David Caldicott, the clinical lead at the Australian National University's Australian Medicinal Cannabis Observatory, questioned whether the laws would decrease use or harm from marijuana.

"We know for a fact introducing harsher penalties does neither of those things," Dr Caldicott said.

"The likeliest scenario for its purpose is to send a message to those who support these policies — it's a form of virtue-signalling."

Rather than a war on drugs, Greens MLC Tammy Franks said the proposed laws were "a war on the homeless, Aboriginal people and the poor" who were least able to afford to defend themselves in court.

Everytime South Australia gets a Liberal State Government it's regressive. Par for the course for these clowns.
"They got Burton suits, ha, you think it's funny,turning rebellion into money"
Leaping Lindner
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 47 times

Postby shoe boy » Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:35 pm

Vicky Chapman is a flog with zero credibility .
shoe boy
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 488 times
Been liked: 209 times

Postby Jimmy_041 » Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:17 pm

shoe boy wrote:Vicky Chapman is a flog with zero credibility .

:lol: I reckon you are secretly in love with her. Can't stop thinking about her
Jimmy_041
Coach

Postby Jimmy_041 » Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:18 am

Leaping Lindner wrote:

South Australia...<<<<<

Everytime South Australia gets a Liberal State Government it's regressive. Par for the course for these clowns.

You mean like decriminalising euthanasia & prostitution that RWNJs like Atkinson, Snelling & Co have fought against?
Sunday morning trading that the Labor religious conservatives have fought against because they think we should all be in church?
Jimmy_041
Coach

Postby Booney » Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:33 am

Shopping deregulation....now there's something we desperately need.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7481 times
Been liked: 10770 times

Postby Executive Member » Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:43 am

Booney wrote:Shopping deregulation....now there's something we desperately need.

indeed we do as it is not fair on Jimmy's maid to have to line up and wait for her to get his shopping :D
Executive Member
Veteran

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 140 times

Postby Jimmy_041 » Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:59 pm

Booney wrote:Shopping deregulation....now there's something we desperately need.

I must admit I'm a bit lost on it all (and I'm being serious here)

Woolworths Marryatville is open 7am to 5pm on Saturdays and 11am to 5pm on a Sundays
All of the anti (I hear) is about Woolworths and Coles dominating and the demise of their competitors by extending shopping hours
What? 4 hours extra on a Sunday morning (or am I missing something?)
And who wants to go to the supermarket at 7am on a Sunday anyway?
Fair enough on a Saturday as you go to sport or get the gear for the BBQ
Jimmy_041
Coach

Postby Jimmy_041 » Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:00 pm

Executive Member wrote:

indeed we do as it is not fair on Jimmy's maid to have to line up and wait for her to get his shopping :D

I'm not complaining - she is
Jimmy_041
Coach

Postby Leaping Lindner » Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:08 pm

"As part of a new war on drugs declared by the Marshall Liberal government, the state’s Attorney-General Vickie Chapman is looking to slap those smoking weed with fines which are more than four times higher than they are now.
The proposal means cannabis would be elevated to the status of “other controlled drugs” such as ecstasy and heroin with fines of up to $2000 or up to two years behind bars."

Two years behind bars :shock: So now in South Australia you can get more gaol time for smoking pot than you do for protecting peadophiles. :rolleyes:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-07-03/a ... se/9883610
"They got Burton suits, ha, you think it's funny,turning rebellion into money"
Leaping Lindner
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 47 times

Postby Booney » Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:24 pm

Jimmy_041 wrote:

Woolworths Marryatville is open 7am to 5pm on Saturdays and 11am to 5pm on a Sundays
All of the anti (I hear) is about Woolworths and Coles dominating and the demise of their competitors by extending shopping hours

I don't get it, either.

Is there really a time of day that something you desperately need at that time can't be sourced?

I mean for day to day musings OTR's/servo's are open 24 hours with most things you need, weekends you have as you note all day Saturday and most of Sunday and in most areas there is an IGA to get the things OTR/servo can't supply.

How many of your mates want to buy leather lounges after hours anyway?
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7481 times
Been liked: 10770 times

Postby shoe boy » Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:40 pm

Leaping Lindner wrote:
"As part of a new war on drugs declared by the Marshall Liberal government, the state’s Attorney-General Vickie Chapman is looking to slap those smoking weed with fines which are more than four times higher than they are now.
The proposal means cannabis would be elevated to the status of “other controlled drugs” such as ecstasy and heroin with fines of up to $2000 or up to two years behind bars."

Two years behind bars :shock: So now in South Australia you can get more gaol time for smoking pot than you do for protecting peadophiles. :rolleyes:

The bitch has no idea, in a world where cannabis is becoming excepted for medicinal and social benefits .
She is probably sitting back with a Chardonnay and doing zip about Archbishop Wilson in her capacity as attorney general .
shoe boy
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 488 times
Been liked: 209 times

Postby Jimmy_041 » Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:55 pm

shoe boy wrote:
Leaping Lindner wrote:

The bitch has no idea, in a world where cannabis is becoming excepted for medicinal and social benefits .
She is probably sitting back with a Chardonnay and doing zip about Archbishop Wilson in her capacity as attorney general .

I’m not sure the NSW government would listen to her anyway
Jimmy_041
Coach

Postby LaughingKookaburra » Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:51 pm

Jimmy_041 wrote:

No, they will stay open until 9 or 10 pm 7 days a week. Maybe until 12 midnight or 24 hours in some cases depending on the viability. What small businesses are open during those hours anyway?

With my work I do a hell of an amount of travel intrastate. My favourite is when I go to places like Mt Barker, Mt Gambier and Berri (where trading hour laws are far more relaxed to assist the economy and tourism) and I see those posters up everywhere claiming that de-regulation will kill our economy and small business. These are locations where the hours are pretty much de-regulated anyway and it may add seriously another 1-2 hours per week.
Can you bring a man to his feet when defeat is on repeat?
LaughingKookaburra
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 740 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby Psyber » Sat Jul 07, 2018 4:57 pm

shoe boy wrote: The bitch has no idea, in a world where cannabis is becoming excepted for medicinal and social benefits .

As a medical practitioner I'm for legalisation of Cannabis products for specific medical purposes, but I want to see proper peer reviewed studies demonstrating which extracts are beneficial for which conditions before I'll go near it.

So far it looks like CBD has promise in several areas but there is ample evidence of THC's harmful effects on the immature and still deveoping brain, and on those vulnerable for other reasons.

PS: Greetings from the WA Wheatbelt where I'm working for a few weeks - weekends get a bit boring but the public health service team I'm working with is good, and the money they are prepared to pay to get me here is great. (Almost what I'm worth! ;) )
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 390 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Postby LaughingKookaburra » Sun Jul 08, 2018 1:24 am

That’s WA for you mate. They fork out good coin to get you across.
Can you bring a man to his feet when defeat is on repeat?
LaughingKookaburra
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 740 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby tigerpie » Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:42 pm

heater31 wrote:They're Targeting the wrong drugs.....

The rest of the world moving to decriminalize it. And these clowns doing the opposite?
Ice is the killer and should be targeted heavily
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 500 times
Been liked: 431 times

Postby Q. » Sun Jul 08, 2018 5:21 pm

tigerpie wrote:
heater31 wrote:They're Targeting the wrong drugs.....

The rest of the world moving to decriminalize it. And these clowns doing the opposite?
Ice is the killer and should be targeted heavily
Prescription drugs are the real killer
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby tigerpie » Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:23 pm

I have to disagree.
There's an ice epidemic happening in rural areas across Australia at the moment that is ruining whole communities lives.
Dealers known to police but somehow when raided they find nothing?
Insane amounts of money being made off this crap and the penalties are not enough of a deterrent.
Anyhow it just shows how out of touch the liberal party is.
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 500 times
Been liked: 431 times

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  Politics