tipper
League - Top 5

Has liked: 359 times
Been liked: 531 times
Grassroots Team: Peake

Re: Things that give you the sh1ts

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:09 am

School holidays.

With 3 teenagers at home I thought I'd do the right thing on the weekend and provide them with plenty of food options, by Tuesday evening they've gone through a kilo of short cut bacon, half a 1kg block of cheese plus over 36 slices, 6 litres of juice, a few litres of soft drink and I get home 2 about 30mls of cordial left in two containers so they didn't finish it excluding them from the refill.

Chuck in, a couple packets of microwave popcorn, 2 add water and pour pancake mixes, some hamburger patties I made up, some mac and cheese & alfredo pasta packets along with 2 packets of assorted cream biscuits, 3 loaves of bread, and that's what I have noticed.

They'll be eating pretty scarce for the remainder of the week.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4344 times
Been liked: 7921 times

Postby HH3 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:14 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:School holidays.

With 3 teenagers at home I thought I'd do the right thing on the weekend and provide them with plenty of food options, by Tuesday evening they've gone through a kilo of short cut bacon, half a 1kg block of cheese plus over 36 slices, 6 litres of juice, a few litres of soft drink and I get home 2 about 30mls of cordial left in two containers so they didn't finish it excluding them from the refill.

Chuck in, a couple packets of microwave popcorn, 2 add water and pour pancake mixes, some hamburger patties I made up, some mac and cheese & alfredo pasta packets along with 2 packets of assorted cream biscuits, 3 loaves of bread, and that's what I have noticed.

Make em run around the lake
I TOLD YOU SO

2013/14 NFL Tipping Comp Champion
HH3
Coach

Has liked: 3301 times
Been liked: 2433 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:28 am

HH3 wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:School holidays.

Make em run around the lake

They bloody well have been, and rode their bikes to Semaphore yesterday, should've ridden to Port Noarlunga.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Corona Man » Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:03 pm

This one has been building for the last few weeks.

My stepfather has dementia. He is going downhill fast. The passing of my mother has bought this to a head. Long story short, he called me last night asking me to pay for Mum's funeral..... I know he has the money for this. I know Mum would have taken care of this. Turns out he has the exact cost of the funeral in cash in his safe. Mum would have put it there, no doubt. But his mental state means he cannot recall why he has this money on hand.

Frustrating.
1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015.... And don't you forget it!
Corona Man
Coach

Has liked: 1278 times
Been liked: 3477 times
Grassroots Team: Echunga

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:08 pm

Corona Man wrote:This one has been building for the last few weeks.

My stepfather has dementia. He is going downhill fast. The passing of my mother has bought this to a head. Long story short, he called me last night asking me to pay for Mum's funeral..... I know he has the money for this. I know Mum would have taken care of this. Turns out he has the exact cost of the funeral in cash in his safe. Mum would have put it there, no doubt. But his mental state means he cannot recall why he has this money on hand.

Frustrating.

did your mum have any super or life insurance?
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Corona Man » Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:11 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:

Frustrating.

I would assume so. I had Power of attorney over Mum, but not over him. He is unable now to manage his own affairs - Don't know how this is going to pan out, but I fear the worst.
1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015.... And don't you forget it!
Corona Man
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:18 pm

Corona Man wrote:
I would assume so. I had Power of attorney over Mum, but not over him. He is unable now to manage his own affairs - Don't know how this is going to pan out, but I fear the worst.

Who done the funeral arrangements? The first thing we were told is that the super would cover the costs of the funeral, we didn't have to do anything.

Things went really pear shaped in our situation as two nighta before my old man passed the POA changed while my dad was in an unfit stage to change it as he'd have his medication around 5:30pm and would become delusional.

Regardless of this, the first bit of any money left in the estate goes towards the funeral costs should there be no funeral plan in place, dad passed away too quickly for us to know what was happening and then once he was in a state of "no coming back" we were presented with the signed documents placing someone else as POA, despite all the way along him telling us to NOT allow this person anywhere near his affairs.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Footy Chick » Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:37 pm

Corona Man wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:

Frustrating.

any way you can con in him into opening the safe?

Might be a good time to see if you can get an enduring POA

*edit - assuming he has no birth children of his own...
Don't play games with a girl who can play 'em better...

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Has liked: 1738 times
Been liked: 2146 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:42 pm

Footy Chick wrote:
Corona Man wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:

Frustrating.

Who is the executor?
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Corona Man » Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:11 pm

Ok to answer a few questions here.

Stepfather is executor of Mums will, so long as he survives her by 30 days, I have POA on her, but that doesn't count for much now does it?

I am a benefactor in the will. Stepfather has 1 daughter, they are estranged.

The safe has been opened, there is "coincidently" the amount needed to cover mums funeral in cash sitting there..... let alone a house freehold (say $500k), a life insurance policy I guess, super (most likely) along with savings accounts.

They were planning a OS holiday before mum got Ill, so they must have had cash tucked away for that.... A good as new Honda Civic in the driveway, that he doesn't drive as he gets lost by the end of the street.

The fact we are in Melbourne makes it really hard as the only communication is by phone.
Corona Man
Coach

Postby Bum Crack » Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:48 pm

Footy Chick wrote:
Corona Man wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:

Frustrating.

Won't be able to get an Enduring Power of Attorney if he's got dementia.
So you've seen everything have you?
Yep
Have you ever seen a man eat his own head?
No
Well you haven't seen everything then have you.
Bum Crack
Coach

Has liked: 320 times
Been liked: 890 times
Grassroots Team: Berri

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:54 pm

Bum Crack wrote:Won't be able to get an Enduring Power of Attorney if he's got dementia.

Could if he's listed as next of kin, a little hard not being directly related though.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Footy Chick » Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:57 pm

Bum Crack wrote:[Won't be able to get an Enduring Power of Attorney if he's got dementia.

Yeah wasn't sure about the legalities there if he's already been diagnosed.

Any suggestions @jo172 or god forbid, @The Big Shrek
Don't play games with a girl who can play 'em better...

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Has liked: 1738 times
Been liked: 2146 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:01 pm

Corona Man wrote:Ok to answer a few questions here.

Stepfather is executor of Mums will, so long as he survives her by 30 days, I have POA on her, but that doesn't count for much now does it?

The safe has been opened, there is "coincidently" the amount needed to cover mums funeral in cash sitting there..... let alone a house freehold (say $500k), a life insurance policy I guess, super (most likely) along with savings accounts.

They were planning a OS holiday before mum got Ill, so they must have had cash tucked away for that.... A good as new Honda Civic in the driveway, that he doesn't drive as he gets lost by the end of the street.

The fact we are in Melbourne makes it really hard as the only communication is by phone.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:05 pm

Corona Man wrote:Ok to answer a few questions here.

POA is defunct on her passing, if he's diagnosed with dementia then you'll have some leverage in obtaining the executor of the will status.

Mate, you're going to have to take a couple of weeks off work to go sort this out in person with the step dad in toe, the last thing you'll want to do is have to fight it in court as no one will win, and given his mental condition anything can happen.

Don't be surprised if the "estranged" daughter all of a sudden appears from nowhere either.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Bum Crack » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:12 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Bum Crack wrote:Won't be able to get an Enduring Power of Attorney if he's got dementia.

Could if he's listed as next of kin, a little hard not being directly related though.

His step-father needs to nominate CM as his Power of Attorney and if he's legally incapacitated, as he will be with dementia, it won't be legal even if he does sign it and the solicitor witnessing the signature is then liable.
Yep
No
Bum Crack
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:23 pm

Bum Crack wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:

His step-father needs to nominate CM as his Power of Attorney and if he's legally incapacitated, as he will be with dementia, it won't be legal even if he does sign it and the solicitor witnessing the signature is then liable.

Yep, it's not a pretty situation.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Corona Man » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:27 pm

Yikes what a mess.
Corona Man
Coach

Postby Bum Crack » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:34 pm

Corona Man wrote:Yikes what a mess.

Did your mum have her POA and Will in safekeeping at a Solicitor's firm? If so, give them a call and see if the step-father already has a POA in safekeeping with them and if so, see who he has nominated and maybe go direct through them and discuss about fixing up the funeral bill
Yep
No
Bum Crack
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  General Discussion