State of the game

Talk on the national game

Re: State of the game

Postby whufc » Wed Jul 25, 2018 5:34 pm

Senor Moto Gadili wrote:
mots02 wrote:
Jim05 wrote:
gadj1976 wrote:My God! Gillon wants to trial new rules in the latter rounds of season 2018! He's gone mad.

I mentioned that this morning.
Is planning to trial it in games that have no bearing on finals.

The AFL should feel ok if fans boycott the games both live and on tv then.

Trial games deserve trial game atmosphere and interest.

...but, that won't happen. Under normal circumstances nobody will attend or watch the Q clash in round 23. However, if they decide to trial "whatever" the whole world will be watching.

Yep brilliant marketing tool to create interest and discussion in the many meaningless games the end of an AFL season brings.

They have been able to slide through this ‘wildcard’ idea to generate interest in more teams so this is their attempt.

The AFL would be extremely envious of the EPL to which at the end of the season the bottom half of the table can attract just as much media attention, crowds etc
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5588 times
Been liked: 2529 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Jim05 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:16 pm

For me there doesn’t need to be massive rule changes just umpire correctly to the current rules.
- Throw the ball up straight away. Why do the umps give time for Rucks and players to get into position. I see some take 20-30 seconds. Same for boundary throw ins.

- Pay incorrect disposal every single time. I don’t care if the ball is spilled in the tackle or knocked loose. If you don’t handball or kick the ball you are gone. Sick of seeing players drop it like a hot potato
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3552 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby gadj1976 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:47 pm

Jim05 wrote:For me there doesn’t need to be massive rule changes just umpire correctly to the current rules.
- Throw the ball up straight away. Why do the umps give time for Rucks and players to get into position. I see some take 20-30 seconds. Same for boundary throw ins.

- Pay incorrect disposal every single time. I don’t care if the ball is spilled in the tackle or knocked loose. If you don’t handball or kick the ball you are gone. Sick of seeing players drop it like a hot potato

As one once said "the more free kicketh does not maketh a goodeth gameth"
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 796 times
Been liked: 850 times

Postby Jim05 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:15 pm

gadj1976 wrote:
Jim05 wrote:For me there doesn’t need to be massive rule changes just umpire correctly to the current rules.

It’s stops congestion though. At the moment the bloke just drops it and then 5 blokes jump on it and then invariably one of those players throws it and the cycle continues. Award a free and watch the area clear quickly
Jim05
Coach

Postby daysofourlives » Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:36 pm

Jim05 wrote:
gadj1976 wrote:

It’s stops congestion though. At the moment the bloke just drops it and then 5 blokes jump on it and then invariably one of those players throws it and the cycle continues. Award a free and watch the area clear quickly

What about penalising the 3rd man to jump on top of a pack or the 2nd tackler, just leave it one on one
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2423 times
Been liked: 1660 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby gadj1976 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:21 pm

Jim05 wrote:
gadj1976 wrote:

Not so sure, if often gets cleared by the players around the ball. Your idea would be great except we'd get 1000 free kicks a game paid.
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 796 times
Been liked: 850 times

Postby Jim05 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:25 pm

gadj1976 wrote:
Jim05 wrote:
gadj1976 wrote:

Not so sure, if often gets cleared by the players around the ball. Your idea would be great except we'd get 1000 free kicks a game paid.

Maybe, maybe not. Players blatantly throw or drop the ball now because they know it will go unpunished. I bet after the first few frees they give away they switch on and change their method of disposal
Jim05
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:30 pm

HH3 wrote:Haven't watched a game in years. Probably won't watch one ever again. This is laughable at best.

You haven’t watched an afl game in years?!?!?
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby RB » Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:36 pm

Jim05 wrote:
gadj1976 wrote:
Jim05 wrote:
gadj1976 wrote:[quote="Jim05"]For me there doesn’t need to be massive rule changes just umpire correctly to the current rules.

Maybe, maybe not. Players blatantly throw or drop the ball now because they know it will go unpunished. I bet after the first few frees they give away they switch on and change their method of disposal[/quote]I tend to agree with this, although only where players are given a 'prior opportunity' to get rid of the ball. The last thing you'd want would be the first player to the ball being punished.
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 765 times
Been liked: 1074 times

Postby Jim05 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:40 pm

bennymacca wrote:
HH3 wrote:Haven't watched a game in years. Probably won't watch one ever again. This is laughable at best.

You might find it strange but I know a bloke who I see at Norwood games most weeks and he was a Fitzroy fan. He hasn’t watched a game since they folded and has no interest in the AFL. Loved the SANFL and his local ammo football
Jim05
Coach

Postby LMA » Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:44 pm

gadj1976 wrote:
Jim05 wrote:
gadj1976 wrote:

Think back to the 90's I don't recall that many frees for HTB or incorrect disposal. If they go back to the 90's and the late 80's, where football was regarded as the best it's been by many fans and experts, study games and the umpiring and see if it would be feasible for today's game
LMA
Coach

Has liked: 387 times
Been liked: 714 times
Grassroots Team: Port District

Postby PatowalongaPirate » Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:15 pm

Boundary throw ins are definitely an issue that shits me. The umpire will turn and wait for the players to get into position. Throw the ball in.....but wait, we have to nominate who’s Rucking.
safooty Melbourne Cup Day Tipping Champion 2018 & 2019 #Back2Back
2018 safooty NFL Tipping Champion
PatowalongaPirate
2022 SA Footy Punter of the Year

Has liked: 447 times
Been liked: 1211 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby bennymacca » Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:47 pm

Jim05 wrote:
bennymacca wrote:

You might find it strange but I know a bloke who I see at Norwood games most weeks and he was a Fitzroy fan. He hasn’t watched a game since they folded and has no interest in the AFL. Loved the SANFL and his local ammo football

That’s his choice but I thought HH3 was a North Melbourne fan
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby tigerpie » Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:57 pm

Less rotations will solve all.
Sure players would have to be managed and potentially miss a few games but the common theme is ,80s and 90s was better to watch.
Why, because blokes rested in the forward line which meant less congestion. Didn't kick a goal and bolt off for 6 minutes.
Rest guys like de goey and pendles in the square and their defenders would stick with them. Same up the other end. That's 8 less blokes around the stoppages.
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 500 times
Been liked: 431 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:44 am

Stumbled across this last night.

Wow :shock: :shock:
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4344 times
Been liked: 7921 times

Postby Senor Moto Gadili » Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:27 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:Stumbled across this last night.

So, the blueprint for future AFL success should be based on how football was played in Tasmania in the late '80s?
Senor Moto Gadili
Veteran

Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 532 times

Postby JK » Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:32 am

Miss those days when opponents didnt act like best mates and protected themselves rather than relying on the rules to do it for them.

Great umpiring at the start too, all it took was the ump to bounce the ball and the blue was over.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4458 times
Been liked: 2986 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby HH3 » Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:40 am

bennymacca wrote:

Nope. I've seen bits and pieces, but I can't sit through a whole quarter anymore. Once a blatant holding the ball call is let go, I can't watch.

Also, the commentary annoys the f**k out of me.

I like the sport. Not how it's umpired or broadcast.
I TOLD YOU SO

2013/14 NFL Tipping Comp Champion
HH3
Coach

Has liked: 3301 times
Been liked: 2433 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby whufc » Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:01 am

HH3 wrote:
bennymacca wrote:

Nope. I've seen bits and pieces, but I can't sit through a whole quarter anymore. Once a blatant holding the ball call is let go, I can't watch.

Also, the commentary annoys the f**k out of me.

I like the sport. Not how it's umpired or broadcast.

I'm the same, I honestly cant remember the last full 4 quarter game I have sat down and watched its entirety. I would be lucky to even watch half a game.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5588 times
Been liked: 2529 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:08 am

Senor Moto Gadili wrote:

So, the blueprint for future AFL success should be based on how football was played in Tasmania in the late '80s?

Eh?? I don't recall me saying anything like that mate?

Just a bit of vision relating to "state of the game" from the 80's.

sorry to offend you.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4344 times
Been liked: 7921 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL