State of the game

Talk on the national game

Re: State of the game

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:10 am

JK wrote:
Miss those days when opponents didnt act like best mates
and protected themselves rather than relying on the rules to do it for them.

Great umpiring at the start too, all it took was the ump to bounce the ball and the blue was over.

Probably because the whole team was related.

I can't believe no one was seriously injured, there were some big hits thrown. I'm not sure what I'd do if I was umpiring and something like that broke out in this day and age.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby Booney » Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:26 pm

Gil wants to trial rules in season, yeah?

What happened to Dean Bailey when he brought the game into disrepute?
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby westozfalcon » Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:39 pm

A good rule to introduce for stopping congestion is one that applies in Australia v Ireland International Rules games i.e if a player is on the ground he can't grab the ball, he must punch or tap it away. This would stop players diving on the footy which in turn leads to the formation of packs.
westozfalcon
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 113 times
Been liked: 28 times

Postby tigerpie » Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:22 am

How many times does the player know he's had no prior opportunity so just absorbs the tackle without really trying to dispose of it?
Maybe if you are caught with the ball regardless of prior opportunity its holding the ball.
That'll do 2 things...reward a solid tackle and, the players will tend to tap it into space releasing a runner. Ala Cyril.
Just a thought.
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 498 times
Been liked: 429 times

Postby whufc » Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:40 am

Booney wrote:Gil wants to trial rules in season, yeah?

What happened to Dean Bailey when he brought the game into disrepute?

Agree, surely that's what the pre-season is for where I think it is perfectly acceptable to trial new rules. (not that I agree with constant rule changes)
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5565 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby woodublieve12 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:46 am

My thoughts on the rules committee

"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3016 times
Been liked: 2384 times

Postby bennymacca » Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:39 am

HH3 wrote:
bennymacca wrote:
HH3 wrote:Haven't watched a game in years. Probably won't watch one ever again. This is laughable at best.

You haven’t watched an afl game in years?!?!?

Nope. I've seen bits and pieces, but I can't sit through a whole quarter anymore. Once a blatant holding the ball call is let go, I can't watch.

Also, the commentary annoys the f**k out of me.

I like the sport. Not how it's umpired or broadcast.

How can you possibly comment on the game or any team any more, let alone the team you supposedly support.

At least WHUFC has never claimed to be an AFL fan
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby Footy Smart » Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:59 am

Interesting comments from Alan Richardson who trialed some of the rule changes at training with AFL umpires and overseen by Hocking. He said that throwing the ball up quickly made it worse as players couldn’t clear the pack and re position
Footy Smart
Coach

Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 118 times
Grassroots Team: Modbury

Postby HH3 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:21 am

bennymacca wrote:
HH3 wrote:
bennymacca wrote:
HH3 wrote:Haven't watched a game in years. Probably won't watch one ever again. This is laughable at best.

You haven’t watched an afl game in years?!?!?

Nope. I've seen bits and pieces, but I can't sit through a whole quarter anymore. Once a blatant holding the ball call is let go, I can't watch.

Also, the commentary annoys the f**k out of me.

I like the sport. Not how it's umpired or broadcast.

How can you possibly comment on the game or any team any more, let alone the team you supposedly support.

:lol:
I TOLD YOU SO

2013/14 NFL Tipping Comp Champion
HH3
Coach

Has liked: 3301 times
Been liked: 2432 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby Senor Moto Gadili » Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:29 am

Footy Smart wrote:Interesting comments from Alan Richardson who trialed some of the rule changes at training with AFL umpires and overseen by Hocking. He said that throwing the ball up quickly made it worse as players couldn’t clear the pack and re position

I heard that quote and it made absolutely no sense.
Senor Moto Gadili
Veteran

Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 532 times

Postby Footy Smart » Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:05 am

Senor Moto Gadili wrote:
Footy Smart wrote:Interesting comments from Alan Richardson who trialed some of the rule changes at training with AFL umpires and overseen by Hocking. He said that throwing the ball up quickly made it worse as players couldn’t clear the pack and re position

no sense? he didnt say every stoppage, but stoppages with high numbers around the ball meant they didnt end up having time to leave the contested area and then are likely to enter the play/contest again. The result of the change is that nothing improves or changes.
Footy Smart
Coach

Postby woodublieve12 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:18 am

HH3 wrote:
bennymacca wrote:How can you possibly comment on the game or any team any more, let alone the team you supposedly support.

:lol:

grow up HH3...
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:56 pm

Not sure that was an issue before. Players seemed to clear the ball out pretty well
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11807 times
Been liked: 3582 times

Postby Footy Smart » Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:10 pm

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:

Not sure that was an issue before. Players seemed to clear the ball out pretty well

its aim is to speed play up and reduce congestion supposedly. Im not saying either way as i havent seen it play out, but it shows that there is always un intended consequences in change and that there i need for lengthy testing.
Footy Smart
Coach

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:20 pm

Footy Smart wrote:
mighty_tiger_79 wrote:

its aim is to speed play up and reduce congestion supposedly. Im not saying either way as i havent seen it play out, but it shows that there is always un intended consequences in change and that there i need for lengthy testing.
Watching a replay recently of the SOO from '94 v Vics at Footy Park.
Boundary throw-ins and ball ups around the ground, saw the Umps just grab the ball and get the ball back in play regardless of who was around.
That kept the ball/game moving
Less congestion around the ball.
The ball was cleared out of these situations easily.

The AFL just like ******* things up.
The game naturally evolves, but the AFL feel the need to artificially manufacture results.

If only someone in there got rid of:
A) ruck noms
B)below the knee rubbish
C) pay holding the ball/incorrect disposal. The AFL looks more like Union at the moment.
D) reduce the Chopping Arm rule for blatant offences.
E) reward tackler, not those that dive forward when there is the faintest touch on the back.

Thats just to start with....

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11807 times
Been liked: 3582 times

Postby Senor Moto Gadili » Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:36 pm

Footy Smart wrote:
Senor Moto Gadili wrote:

no sense? he didnt say every stoppage, but stoppages with high numbers around the ball meant they didnt end up having time to leave the contested area and then are likely to enter the play/contest again. The result of the change is that nothing improves or changes.

The trial consisted of the following components;

Starting positions for ball ups in centre - 6:6:6
No prior opportunity
A line drawn through the centre of the ground and at every stoppage each team had to have at least two players on the attacking side of the line
Making the goal square twice as long - i.e. 18 m in lieu of 9m

This is what Alan Richardson said...

"Given that there were so many stoppages and so many ball-ups because there was no prior opportunity, and the way that was adjudicated was to be a ball-up, there was a lot of ball-ups," Richardson said.

"Then, when the umpires were really committed to throwing the ball up quickly, players just couldn't clear the area, so I think there'll be a lot that the AFL get out of that in terms of perhaps what not to do as opposed to, 'Yeah, that's a good look for us'."

So, I'm still not sure what point he is trying to make. I assume it is a criticism of applying zones at stoppages more so than any criticism of umpires throwing the ball up quickly at stoppages.
Senor Moto Gadili
Veteran

Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 532 times

Postby goddy11 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:43 pm

Senor Moto Gadili wrote:

My thoughts as well. I would have thought players could not get into defensive positions as quick. Maybe its the Saints are too slow to clear the ball.
goddy11
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 559 times
Been liked: 211 times
Grassroots Team: Myponga-Sellicks

Postby woodublieve12 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 2:02 pm

This is for all those proposed rule changes above

woodublieve12
Coach

Postby whufc » Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:49 pm

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:
Footy Smart wrote:
mighty_tiger_79 wrote:

Watching a replay recently of the SOO from '94 v Vics at Footy Park.
Boundary throw-ins and ball ups around the ground, saw the Umps just grab the ball and get the ball back in play regardless of who was around.
That kept the ball/game moving
Less congestion around the ball.
The ball was cleared out of these situations easily.

The AFL just like ******* things up.
The game naturally evolves, but the AFL feel the need to artificially manufacture results.

If only someone in there got rid of:
A) ruck noms
B)below the knee rubbish
C) pay holding the ball/incorrect disposal. The AFL looks more like Union at the moment.
D) reduce the Chopping Arm rule for blatant offences.
E) reward tackler, not those that dive forward when there is the faintest touch on the back.

Thats just to start with....

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Wash your mouth, don’t discredit union like that, we are not allowed to knock the ball on.
whufc
Coach

Postby whufc » Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:52 pm

goddy11 wrote:
Senor Moto Gadili wrote:

My thoughts as well. I would have thought players could not get into defensive positions as quick. Maybe its the Saints are too slow to clear the ball.

I think what he was saying was that teams rely on structure and set plays to win the ball from balls up

By throwing the ball up quicker players could not get into a structured position meaning ruckman were not able to get hit outs to advantage and were nearly tapping the ball to what was still a 50/50 contest meaning the ball wasn’t cleared.
whufc
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL