SANFL Junior codes

Adelaide Footy League Talk

Re: AdFl Junior codes

Postby Broken Down Hack » Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:06 pm

Tackling in junior gtades .... don't get me started .... can someone pls explain to me the difference between a big kid tackling a kid his own size by wrapping him up dropping the legs and bringing him down, not high, not rd the legs or in the back ..... awarded with a free for incorrect disposal or a ball up ..... but same player tackles a smaller player in the same way .... yet its deamed to rough and sent off with yellow card .... got me confused ..
Broken Down Hack
Rookie

Has liked: 49 times
Been liked: 15 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:29 am

Broken Down Hack wrote:Tackling in junior gtades .... don't get me started .... can someone pls explain to me the difference between a big kid tackling a kid his own size by wrapping him up dropping the legs and bringing him down, not high, not rd the legs or in the back ..... awarded with a free for incorrect disposal or a ball up ..... but same player tackles a smaller player in the same way .... yet its deamed to rough and sent off with yellow card .... got me confused ..

I seen some very poor interpretations of the law on Sunday, gee they make it hard for themselves.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4344 times
Been liked: 7921 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:43 am

I seen the good, the bad and the ugly on the weekend after watching two games of junior footy.

Friday night I was watching a do or die battle between Ingle Farm and Hectorville under 16's, the game was intense, the lead seesawed as did the momentum, the crowd was vocal, especially in the last quarter when it was really tight and pretty much every parent there became an expert on umpiring.

Amongst it all, this short, young well presented lad who looked no more than 13 or 14 was unperturbed about what was going on around him and called every decision the way he saw it, the way he had all game and pretty much finished the game blemish free from what I seen, he didn't pay a lot of frees but picked out the obvious ones and looked after the player going for the ball, umpiring girls or women's footy is bloody hard gig.

Sunday I seen a very experienced umpire who teamed up with a tall green shirt lad about 18 years of age that looked the part and I thought would be a pretty good umpire on first instincts.
The older statesman was a bit over-zealous but I couldn't knock his consistency though, the trouble was that the younger lad hardly blew his whistle, didn't pay obvious marks and when he did finally make a decision it was usually a howler, I thought the older bloke should've over-ridden or made some calls, especially considering the closeness of the game and the pace it was being played at.

The team that played the better football on the day won, but even my lad pointed out on the way home how hard it is to change your style of footy once the ball passes half-way over to the other umpire.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Dutchy » Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:34 pm

Are junior games usually only 1 umpire?

We usually have 2 umpires, which can cause inconsistency issues as above.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2320 times
Been liked: 3492 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:46 pm

Dutchy wrote:Are junior games usually only 1 umpire?

We usually have 2 umpires, which can cause inconsistency issues as above.

11's up are two umpires I reckon.

Yes, it is a big issue, it's pretty much why I stopped umpiring junior footy in the metro area, was alright when you knew who you'd be teamed up with.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Dutchy » Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:34 am

Wasnt sure where to put this, went and had a look at the u15 State Schoolboys GF of SA v Vic on Saturday at Thebby. Few interesting names in both teams - Salmon, Long, Viska... anyway the highlight for me was Isaiah Dudley, what an outstanding talent, I see he goes to Salisbury HS, where does he play his junior footy? Anyone here seen him play?
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2320 times
Been liked: 3492 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:57 am

Dutchy wrote:Wasnt sure where to put this, went and had a look at the u15 State Schoolboys GF of SA v Vic on Saturday at Thebby. Few interesting names in both teams - Salmon, Long, Viska... anyway the highlight for me was Isaiah Dudley, what an outstanding talent, I see he goes to Salisbury HS, where does he play his junior footy? Anyone here seen him play?

Was at Salisbury North a couple of years ago.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby beef » Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:11 am

Dutchy wrote:Wasnt sure where to put this, went and had a look at the u15 State Schoolboys GF of SA v Vic on Saturday at Thebby. Few interesting names in both teams - Salmon, Long, Viska... anyway the highlight for me was Isaiah Dudley, what an outstanding talent, I see he goes to Salisbury HS, where does he play his junior footy? Anyone here seen him play?

Played u/16's at Centrals this year and actually made the state u/16's team that was national champions. He has now received a football scholarship from Prince Alfred College. If he grows a bit will be an unbelievable player. Tells you all about how good he is as well.
beef
League - Best 21

Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 254 times

Postby Wazz17 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:30 pm

beef wrote:

Played u/16's at Centrals this year and actually made the state u/16's team that was national champions. He has now received a football scholarship from Prince Alfred College. If he grows a bit will be an unbelievable player. Tells you all about how good he is as well.

Salisbury North Junior
Wazz17

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 23 times
Grassroots Team: Eastern Park

Postby Punk Rooster » Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:08 pm

being involved with U8's, the most frustrating interpretation, is of the smothering- watching kids kicking into the player on the mark, and the player on the mark being penalised... The problem is most of these young kids umpiring lack football experience, and are guessing most of the time- not a lot of decisions are made with confidence. My concern is for the players being wrongly penalised, and having various interpretations of the rules to deal with over the course of the year, causing them confusion.
Ralph Wiggum wrote:That's where I saw the leprechaun. He told me to burn things

Ken Farmer>John Coleman

Hindmarsh Pest Control
Punk Rooster
Coach

Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 16 times
Grassroots Team: Fitzroy

Postby The Ash Man » Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:30 am

Punk Rooster wrote:being involved with U8's, the most frustrating interpretation, is of the smothering- watching kids kicking into the player on the mark, and the player on the mark being penalised... The problem is most of these young kids umpiring lack football experience, and are guessing most of the time- not a lot of decisions are made with confidence. My concern is for the players being wrongly penalised, and having various interpretations of the rules to deal with over the course of the year, causing them confusion.

Couldn't agree more.
Smothering is my biggest frustration in U6s too.
Yesterday we got called 4 times for smothering which were just kicks into the man (as I have taught the kids to corral the player with the ball) but then when there was a kick for goal and it is touched off the boot it wasn't a smother.
Very confusing for everyone
The Ash Man
Coach

Has liked: 381 times
Been liked: 260 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:33 am

Watched a cracking under 13 game on Friday night where I thought there was a senior umpire going around due to his maturity, decision making and control of the game.
Turned out he must've only been 18 max, what made it better was he was paired up with a young girl no more than say 13ish, she was very hot the holding the ball interpretation but extremely consistent with all of her decision making, they were both outstanding.
Unfortunately my thoughts on juniors playing at night stands, there aren't many ovals in the metro area suitable for night footy for kids using the full oval, leave it for the younger ones where you can have two or three game going on the at the same time.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:35 am

The Ash Man wrote:
Punk Rooster wrote:being involved with U8's, the most frustrating interpretation, is of the smothering- watching kids kicking into the player on the mark, and the player on the mark being penalised... The problem is most of these young kids umpiring lack football experience, and are guessing most of the time- not a lot of decisions are made with confidence. My concern is for the players being wrongly penalised, and having various interpretations of the rules to deal with over the course of the year, causing them confusion.

Couldn't agree more.
Smothering is my biggest frustration in U6s too.
Yesterday we got called 4 times for smothering which were just kicks into the man (as I have taught the kids to corral the player with the ball) but then when there was a kick for goal and it is touched off the boot it wasn't a smother.
Very confusing for everyone

I'd sooner kids learn early to smother the ball correctly.
I recall the "drop tackle" rule, we played a team that purposely fell to the ground all season every time they got tackled so they'd get the free, great coaching when they're not playing for points, must've done wonders for the kids development.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby marbles » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:47 am

who won the girls under 12s prelim, brighton or port districts?
marbles
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 276 times
Been liked: 258 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:32 am

marbles wrote:who won the girls under 12s prelim, brighton or port districts?

Should be updated by noon you'd think, there's often a lag with some grades.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby marbles » Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:36 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:
marbles wrote:who won the girls under 12s prelim, brighton or port districts?

Should be updated by noon you'd think, there's often a lag with some grades.

dammit frikkin slow nbn
marbles
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 276 times
Been liked: 258 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:41 am

Watched an under 13 game yesterday where the top team got defeated and the coach went troppo at his players telling them the following for all parents and opposition to hear loud and clear.

* Told them they are ruining his coaching career.
* Told them if they don't learn to play how they are told they wont have their spot next season.
* Said he was sick of the way they won't play like the coaching staff want them to.

This was under 13's, the team will still finish top, how can he blame the kids when they got 2 goals behind in the first he played a loose man in defence, kept him there til three quarter time and then deployed two loose in defence for the last despite only being two goals down, kicking with the breeze and having the scoring momentum.

Worst party is, I always thought it was the most well run club in the state both at junior and senior level.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:43 am

marbles wrote:
dammit frikkin slow nbn

It's probably one of the clubs fault mate, most other results are in.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby locky801 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:51 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:Watched an under 13 game yesterday where the top team got defeated and the coach went troppo at his players telling them the following for all parents and opposition to hear loud and clear.

* Told them if they don't learn to play how they are told they wont have their spot next season.
* Said he was sick of the way they won't play like the coaching staff want them to.

This was under 13's, the team will still finish top, how can he blame the kids when they got 2 goals behind in the first he played a loose man in defence, kept him there til three quarter time and then deployed two loose in defence for the last despite only being two goals down, kicking with the breeze and having the scoring momentum.

Worst party is, I always thought it was the most well run club in the state both at junior and senior level.

will pass the message on ;)
You cant change your past but you can sure hell shape you future
locky801
Coach

Has liked: 3694 times
Been liked: 1164 times

Postby cracka » Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:55 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:Watched an under 13 game yesterday where the top team got defeated and the coach went troppo at his players telling them the following for all parents and opposition to hear loud and clear.

I'd love it if a parent would record that on their phone & then post it on facebook or something.
cracka
Veteran

Has liked: 460 times
Been liked: 566 times
Grassroots Team: Onkaparinga Valley

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Adelaide Footy League