Port Adelaide 2018

Talk on the national game

Re: Port Adelaide 2018

Postby mots02 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:48 am

Booney wrote:
mots02 wrote:
Booney wrote:

Nope, they haven't earned a call up by any means but we don't have Dixon available to send into the ruck so there's no option but to play at least one of them, maybe both.

and that's my point - earlier in the year there was an opportunity to expose one or even both of them in games that were less critical and perhaps against some softer opposition.

Now, there is no choice but to play a couple of guys who are still probably not ready, still haven't probably earned the right but could have at least experienced it once or twice before. It comes on the back of the perfect PAFC big man shit storm which is really unlucky and would have been difficult to plan for but it could have been made easier on the young fellas if they'd had a go when opportunity presented before.

Games that were less critical? :shock: Seriously, look how even the competition is mate, if you think some games are more critical than others you're joking. Every game is critical.

Beat Sydney, Brisbane and North and lost to Essendon, Geelong and GWS without Ryder this year.

Yes every game is critical but you left off the rest of my quote ''and perhaps against some softer opposition''

My point it that throwing a young ruck in for his first game against Brisbane in Round 3 at your home ground when you're 2-0 and top of the table might have been easier on the kid than now being forced to do it against Collingwood at the MCG, against a rampaging Grundy in a game that you now must win to stay alive for the final 8 :)

This game would have been less critical if you hadn't choked on the weekend though ;)
mots02
League - Top 5

Has liked: 138 times
Been liked: 880 times
Grassroots Team: Reynella

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:53 am

Bombers4EVA wrote:How so? Take a look at their last 3 - 5 results against the eagles? Take a look at their results against the better sides? When it comes down to a hard and close contest they go missing. They have a lot of blokes on their list that should be grateful of getting a game.

Eagles play Adelaide Oval well, they have the wood on Port there, it happens. If that is hurting Port "mentally" then they're probably playing the wrong sport.

You rock up the game ready to play regardless of the opposition, Port's put away some quality teams this season but their best and worst are poles apart.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4346 times
Been liked: 7921 times

Postby Booney » Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:58 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Bombers4EVA wrote:How so? Take a look at their last 3 - 5 results against the eagles? Take a look at their results against the better sides? When it comes down to a hard and close contest they go missing. They have a lot of blokes on their list that should be grateful of getting a game.

Eagles play Adelaide Oval well, they have the wood on Port there, it happens. If that is hurting Port "mentally" then they're probably playing the wrong sport.

You rock up the game ready to play regardless of the opposition, Port's put away some quality teams this season but their best and worst are poles apart.

No, it isn't. Our biggest losses to the Eagles, 42 in Perth, and Geelong by 34 at home the only losses over 30 points. It means our best and worst aren't that far apart, we've been in most games, it means our ability to play smart in the close ones is simply not good enough.

But, I'd rather be in close ones and lose than get pumped by 8 goals all the time.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7493 times
Been liked: 10776 times

Postby amber_fluid » Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:02 am

In tight games like this you need your senior players to stand up and be counted.
In the last 5 minutes where was Boak, Ebert, Jonas(Tom was good all game but went missing when needed), Gray(he should have kicked that goal to seal it), even Rockliff and Watts??
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2227 times
Been liked: 2523 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:16 am

Booney wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:

No, it isn't. Our biggest losses to the Eagles, 42 in Perth, and Geelong by 34 at home the only losses over 30 points. It means our best and worst aren't that far apart, we've been in most games, it means our ability to play smart in the close ones is simply not good enough.

But, I'd rather be in close ones and lose than get pumped by 8 goals all the time.

Watching the Freo game was as ugly football as you could get.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby am Bays » Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:24 am

@Booney I think you need another trip/holiday to Thailand.

Port didn't lose a game while you were over there, IIRC, and since you've been back....
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 1809 times

Postby Brodlach » Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:25 am

am Bays wrote:@Booney I think you need another trip/holiday to Thailand.

Port didn't lose a game while you were over there, IIRC, and since you've been back....

Haven’t won a game since before he left I think
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4216 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby mots02 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:26 am

am Bays wrote:@Booney I think you need another trip/holiday to Thailand.

Confiscate his passport...
mots02
League - Top 5

Has liked: 138 times
Been liked: 880 times
Grassroots Team: Reynella

Postby Bombers4EVA » Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:26 am

amber_fluid wrote:In tight games like this you need your senior players to stand up and be counted.
In the last 5 minutes where was Boak, Ebert, Jonas(Tom was good all game but went missing when needed), Gray(he should have kicked that goal to seal it), even Rockliff and Watts??

That's one of my points about Port. When the game is in the balance. Too many times Port's best players go missing or some of their stars seem to disappear when they are needed most. I reckon Wingard is getting close to playing in the reserves. He's one of a few that I can point out.
Bombers4EVA
League - Best 21

Has liked: 326 times
Been liked: 89 times

Postby Booney » Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:27 am

And amber tells me I'm the biggest troll.

At least a good troll would get their facts right, but am is on his Mad Monday so I'll let his poor effort slide.
Last edited by Booney on Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Booney » Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:32 am

Bombers4EVA wrote:
amber_fluid wrote:In tight games like this you need your senior players to stand up and be counted.

That's one of my points about Port. When the game is in the balance. Too many times Port's best players go missing or some of their stars seem to disappear when they are needed most. I reckon Wingard is getting close to playing in the reserves. He's one of a few that I can point out.

LOL, it's easy to pick the people who watch and those who don't. 4 goals against Adelaide two weeks ago all while spending more time in the midfield.

Watts, S.Gray ( who only just came back in ), Motlop, Pittard all closer to a spell than Wingard.

As noted previously though, nobody making a case for selection or injuries preventing others.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Jimmy_041 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:34 am

Biggest laugh I've had in years:

https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/afl/expert-opinion/reece-homfray/power-rankings-port-adelaide-to-embrace-underdog-status/news-story/8db393d764e9b8f6ea1cea0f660890ca

SO AFTER 21 rounds of the season it’s Port Adelaide against the world again — just the way it likes it.

How come they lose when they are "against the world"
Jimmy_041
Coach

Has liked: 719 times
Been liked: 1072 times
Grassroots Team: Prince Alfred OC

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:41 am

Bombers4EVA wrote:

Averaging 20.4 disposals, 2.8 marks, 1.2 goals and 3.3 tackles per game for the season, still managed 18 disposals, 4 marks, 5 tackles and a goal in Saturday's disappearance, you must be pretty bloody good.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby amber_fluid » Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:44 am

Booney wrote:And amber tells me I'm the biggest troll.

At least a good troll would get their facts right, but am is on his Mad Monday so I'll let his poor effort slide.

YOUR mother and Amber know best! ;)
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2227 times
Been liked: 2523 times

Postby Booney » Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:49 am

amber_fluid wrote:
Booney wrote:And amber tells me I'm the biggest troll.

YOUR mother and Amber know best! ;)

50% right, not bad. ;)
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Senor Moto Gadili » Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:39 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Bombers4EVA wrote:

Averaging 20.4 disposals, 2.8 marks, 1.2 goals and 3.3 tackles per game for the season, still managed 18 disposals, 4 marks, 5 tackles and a goal in Saturday's disappearance, you must be pretty bloody good.

Chad is going OK and he was one of the few to show some composure late in the game. Took a contested mark, went back and passed off to Clurey. Clurey had a short option also, but ignored it and chose to bomb to Robbie Gray who was surrounded by WCE talls. Barrass marks and the rest as they say is history.
Senor Moto Gadili
Veteran

Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 532 times

Postby Dutchy » Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:11 pm

My take on Port is they are way too focused on defence, which they are doing well BTW..no-one has scored over 100 points against them since R7. However this all out defensive strategy is hurting their ability to move the ball into space and give their forwards a decent crack at it.

They should be trying to loosen the defence a little to allow them to open the game up and score more, they will get a bit more exposed at the back but hey you need to score to win games of footy. Question is will the coaching staff stick with their game plan or massage it a little?
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2324 times
Been liked: 3499 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:14 pm

Dutchy wrote:My take on Port is they are way too focused on defence, which they are doing well BTW..no-one has scored over 100 points against them since R7. However this all out defensive strategy is hurting their ability to move the ball into space and give their forwards a decent crack at it.

They should be trying to loosen the defence a little to allow them to open the game up and score more, they will get a bit more exposed at the back but hey you need to score to win games of footy. Question is will the coaching staff stick with their game plan or massage it a little?

They've stuck with it since 2014 mate, aint gonna change.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Booney » Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:21 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Dutchy wrote:My take on Port is they are way too focused on defence, which they are doing well BTW..no-one has scored over 100 points against them since R7. However this all out defensive strategy is hurting their ability to move the ball into space and give their forwards a decent crack at it.

They've stuck with it since 2014 mate, aint gonna change.

Other than in 2017 where only Adelaide scored more,
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby valleys07 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:37 pm

LOL, Watts. Despite playing down back during the latter part of his tenure at Melbourne, he looked about as familiar with the defensive 50 as Tony Lockett when shifted back there after Dixon and Ryder went down. Mindboggling.
“Think of me like Yoda, but instead of being little and green I wear suits and I'm awesome. I'm your bro—I'm Broda!”

HOGG Shield 2015 Division I Premiers.
HOGG Shield 2017 Premier League Premiers.
valleys07
Coach

Has liked: 767 times
Been liked: 1169 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL