Stanley Cricket Association

Local cricket is the go here. Any talk about local comps, grade cricket, etc.

Re: Stanley Cricket Association

Postby whufc » Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:51 pm

I’m up in the air about shortening games

I appreciate the fact cutting game time down may make the afternoon more attractive to play.

On the flip side cutting game time down makes it harder to give all 11 players a role in the team. Will a player play if all they get to do is bat a couple of overs at the end of an innings and maybe only bowl an over or two.

Having come from PDCA we found getting fill ins was easier for the one dayers but trying grow permenant players was harder because if they weren’t a top 5 bat or top 4 bowler they were doing stuff all most weeks.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5565 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby happyhawk » Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:17 pm

If you shorten it too much it will end up being a twenty20 comp on a Friday night with beers. It’s a tough one, if people want to play shortened cricket they will have difficulty going back to longer format cricket or will just give the game away all together. Not sure what the answer is
happyhawk
Rookie

Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 22 times
Grassroots Team: RSMU

Postby whufc » Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:15 pm

happyhawk wrote:If you shorten it too much it will end up being a twenty20 comp on a Friday night with beers. It’s a tough one, if people want to play shortened cricket they will have difficulty going back to longer format cricket or will just give the game away all together. Not sure what the answer is

Yeah I’m not sure what the answer is and I agree they need to try and attract more players just not sure shortening games is the answer.
whufc
Coach

Postby Tony Clifton » Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:01 pm

40 over games, 1-6pm

God's gift to cricketers. Don't know why every comp doesn't do this. Long enough for the jets to make a ton. Plenty of overs to go round for the bowlers. And obviously being one dayers you bat every week so if you have a good day and batters 5, 6, 7... don't get a hit and aren't bowlers then they can bat top 3 next week.
This is Tony Clifton! A name to respect! A name to fear!
Tony Clifton
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1462 times
Been liked: 244 times
Grassroots Team: Adelaide University

Postby OnSong » Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:40 pm

Tony Clifton wrote:40 over games, 1-6pm

God's gift to cricketers. Don't know why every comp doesn't do this. Long enough for the jets to make a ton. Plenty of overs to go round for the bowlers. And obviously being one dayers you bat every week so if you have a good day and batters 5, 6, 7... don't get a hit and aren't bowlers then they can bat top 3 next week.

They're already 40-over games starting at 1pm
Right in front of me. RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME!
OnSong
Coach

Has liked: 524 times
Been liked: 543 times

Postby Tony Clifton » Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:57 pm

OnSong wrote:

Ah ok. Poster on the previous page said they were 45 overs.
This is Tony Clifton! A name to respect! A name to fear!
Tony Clifton
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1462 times
Been liked: 244 times
Grassroots Team: Adelaide University

Postby OnSong » Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:03 pm

Tony Clifton wrote:
OnSong wrote:

Yeah, A1 45, A2 is 40
OnSong
Coach

Postby whufc » Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:00 am

OnSong wrote:
Tony Clifton wrote:
OnSong wrote:

Yeah, A1 45, A2 is 40

Oops I’m showing my lack of competition knowledge

Forgive the newbie
whufc
Coach

Postby Hazbeen » Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:57 pm

A2's has been changed to 30 overs per side, batsmen to retire at 50
Hazbeen
Veteran

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 122 times
Grassroots Team: Hummocks-Watchman

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:06 am

Hazbeen wrote:A2's has been changed to 30 overs per side, batsmen to retire at 50

Jesus, can you get out first ball?
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby OnSong » Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:21 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Hazbeen wrote:A2's has been changed to 30 overs per side, batsmen to retire at 50

Jesus, can you get out first ball?

I do believe this is aimed at getting more kids coming up from colts to senior cricket. Not sure how to feel about it.
OnSong
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:47 am

OnSong wrote:I do believe this is aimed at getting more kids coming up from colts to senior cricket. Not sure how to feel about it.

It will be a negative outcome IMO if that's what the aim is, you'll see the kids batting 7 though to 10 and maybe bowling a few overs later in the innings unless they are very talented.

I'm not a fan of T20 for kids or lower grades and this just seems like that on a bit of juice, 30 overs is like 100 minutes batting per team.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby daysofourlives » Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:29 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
OnSong wrote:I do believe this is aimed at getting more kids coming up from colts to senior cricket. Not sure how to feel about it.

It will be a negative outcome IMO if that's what the aim is, you'll see the kids batting 7 though to 10 and maybe bowling a few overs later in the innings unless they are very talented.

I'm not a fan of T20 for kids or lower grades and this just seems like that on a bit of juice, 30 overs is like 100 minutes batting per team.

Exactly, want to get juniors involved have two day cricket.
In my experience the ones that want to play less and less cricket make the most noise, administrators have to ignore this noise and cater for the players that actually want to play cricket as they are the ones that are going to be there year after year.
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2415 times
Been liked: 1657 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby Angler » Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:49 pm

Read in the Sunday Mail today that Rocky River won’t be competing in the North Eastern Shield. What does this mean for their comp?
Angler

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 13 times

Postby whufc » Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:49 pm

daysofourlives wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:

In my experience the ones that want to play less and less cricket make the most noise, administrators have to ignore this noise and cater for the players that actually want to play cricket as they are the ones that are going to be there year after year.

Couldn’t agree more
whufc
Coach

Postby whufc » Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:51 pm

daysofourlives wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:

Even playing 45 over one dayers is almost impossible to give everyone a decent hit and bowl, we had blokes only get 4-5 hits last season.
whufc
Coach

Postby whufc » Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:36 am

What's everyone's predications for this week?

For me Blyth will be the surprise packet this season.
whufc
Coach

Postby Angler » Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:18 pm

Lower North will again be the team to beat. If Brinkworth have a full side for the majority of the season they’ll be strong again. Then throw in Clare and Sevenhill and I reckon that’s the top 4. Blyth will jag the odd upset, but not sure they’ll make finals. Auburn/Mintaro with a full team could surprise a few people, but I don’t expect them to be in the frame for finals. Not sure how Watervale are shaping up.
Angler

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 13 times

Postby whufc » Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:30 am

Not sure about the lower north vs Blyth score but no major upsets in the other two games.

Hopefully Watervale can pick up a couple of blokes, really good bunch of lads but are in for a very long year if yesterday is anything to go by.

Speaking to a few it appears most want to play in the b grade so not sure how long they will last playing a’s
whufc
Coach

Postby Hazbeen » Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:33 am

Brinkworth forfeited the A's yesterday
Hazbeen
Veteran

Has liked: 1 time