Restaurant & Pub Reviews

Anything!

Re: Restaurant & Pub Reviews

Postby Lightning McQueen » Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:32 am

Booney wrote:The Norwood Hotel :

With Miss Boon finishing at 9pm on The Parade we thought we would take the opportunity to dine somewhere prior to collecting her from work. Drove up and down a couple of times, settled on the Norwood Hotel at about 7:50pm.

Park, go in, up to the bar for a drink and the lovely lass behind the bar advises that meals must be ordered by 8pm so we don't have long. All good, thank you. Grab a menu, grab a table and as we turn around we see "250g T-Bone $10 every night after 5pm". Sweet.

"Two t-bones with pepper please, one medium, one medium well". We ordered right on 8pm, I think two groups got in behind us.

There was a rapper on in the function room out the back so the place was packed, almost every table was full but we found a quaint little table for two.

Mrs had a rose, Chapel Hill, that tasted a "bit vinegary" so I took it back to the bar, the lass agreed it smelt a little off so asked what she would like as a replacement. "Any Alicante?" ( Rockfords ), "Yep, there you go". I offered to pay the gap, she said "No, don't be silly, what are you having?"

"It's ok, I've got a pale on the go thanks" -- "Would you like another one?" -- "Not right now" -- "It's on me, sorry about the rose" SWEET. An alicante for Mrs Boon and another pale for me.

Meals came out around 8:20, solid sized T-bone with barely any bone in it, basically they'd left the top of the "T" but the "leg" of the T was gone making it much easier to carve into. Chips and garden salad.

The T-Bone was excellent, just a little piece of charcoal singed fat on the outer edge, perfectly cooked, pepper sauce was proper pepper sauce not just gravy with pepper corns in it, salad is just salad.

Service - Exceptional, gave us fair warning about the kitchen closing, replaced the rose free and gave me a pale pint as compensation for our inconvenience. 10/10

Food - You'd think a $10 T-Bone could be a risk not worth taking, it was certainly worth taking. 8/10

Cost - Two T-Bones, a rose and a pale came to $34.50, a free upgrade on the rose and a free pint of pale. 8/10

My experience at the Norwood Hotel last night can only be given a 9/10 when it comes to a $10 T-Bone and a pale ( or two ). Not fine dining, but a fine pub meal indeed.

Superb, the minister of finance and recreation and I think that we should go out for dinner every second Thursday night just for something nice to do together, that will be our next destination, I've picked up a couple of scoupon deals that she's unaware of too so far.

It's the little things.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4344 times
Been liked: 7921 times

Postby Spargo » Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:52 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:

With Miss Boon finishing at 9pm on The Parade we thought we would take the opportunity to dine somewhere prior to collecting her from work. Drove up and down a couple of times, settled on the Norwood Hotel at about 7:50pm.

Park, go in, up to the bar for a drink and the lovely lass behind the bar advises that meals must be ordered by 8pm so we don't have long. All good, thank you. Grab a menu, grab a table and as we turn around we see "250g T-Bone $10 every night after 5pm". Sweet.

"Two t-bones with pepper please, one medium, one medium well". We ordered right on 8pm, I think two groups got in behind us.

There was a rapper on in the function room out the back so the place was packed, almost every table was full but we found a quaint little table for two.

Mrs had a rose, Chapel Hill, that tasted a "bit vinegary" so I took it back to the bar, the lass agreed it smelt a little off so asked what she would like as a replacement. "Any Alicante?" ( Rockfords ), "Yep, there you go". I offered to pay the gap, she said "No, don't be silly, what are you having?"

"It's ok, I've got a pale on the go thanks" -- "Would you like another one?" -- "Not right now" -- "It's on me, sorry about the rose" SWEET. An alicante for Mrs Boon and another pale for me.

Meals came out around 8:20, solid sized T-bone with barely any bone in it, basically they'd left the top of the "T" but the "leg" of the T was gone making it much easier to carve into. Chips and garden salad.

The T-Bone was excellent, just a little piece of charcoal singed fat on the outer edge, perfectly cooked, pepper sauce was proper pepper sauce not just gravy with pepper corns in it, salad is just salad.

Service - Exceptional, gave us fair warning about the kitchen closing, replaced the rose free and gave me a pale pint as compensation for our inconvenience. 10/10

Food - You'd think a $10 T-Bone could be a risk not worth taking, it was certainly worth taking. 8/10

Cost - Two T-Bones, a rose and a pale came to $34.50, a free upgrade on the rose and a free pint of pale. 8/10

My experience at the Norwood Hotel last night can only be given a 9/10 when it comes to a $10 T-Bone and a pale ( or two ). Not fine dining, but a fine pub meal indeed.

Superb, the minister of finance and recreation and I think that we should go out for dinner every second Thursday night just for something nice to do together, that will be our next destination, I've picked up a couple of scoupon deals that she's unaware of too so far.

It’s the little things.

Dessert covered too, I see...
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ
2024 champ, Spargo’s Good Friday Cup @ Ascot

I’ll wait for an angel, but I won’t hold my breath
‘Magine they’re busy, think I’m doin’ ok…
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5478 times
Been liked: 5119 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby Lightning McQueen » Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:01 am

Spargo wrote:
Dessert covered too, I see...

If she plays her cards right. ;)
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Magellan » Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:12 am

Whacko, dinner and a show. ;)
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:14 am

Magellan wrote:Whacko, dinner and a show. ;)

I'm sure the Boon's love a good rap show!!
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:58 pm

you don't mind if they stuff up if they then make up for it like that.
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:39 pm

Nandos - Kurralta Park

Friday night.

Very quiet. Ordered a shared platter thingy, that weve had before.
But this time it left us hungry....

Service was good
But its like the platter has downsized significantly.

Tad under $40.
Value for money 0
Service 7
Food itself was ok 7
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11840 times
Been liked: 3598 times

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:48 pm

So on our journey for a tour of Lot 14 - former Royal Adelaide Hospital

Still starving - see above

Parked at Hungry Jacks carpark, we stumbled on Brunelli's.
This joint, I assume has been there for donkeys, everytime we have been past its been busy!

So we popped in for dessert

Mrs grabbed Double Choc chip muffin and i had a vanilla slice
Hot Chocolate and a latte.
Tad under $20.

The muffin and Vanilla slice were huge.
Drinks were tasty.

Service was 8/10
Value for money 10/10

Look forward to going back and trying out their mains
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11840 times
Been liked: 3598 times

Postby Corona Man » Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:30 pm

The Medallion Club - Etihad Stadium.

I believe there are 3 dining choices here. The Carvery which is a Smorgasbord. The Grill which is an almost silver service Ala Carte and a Sports Bar which is pub grub.

Our host had booked into the Carverey. Smorgies aren’t usually my go but the food was excellent.

Seafood choices - Prawns, Mussels, Oysters, Morton Bay Bugs & Calamari.

Roasts - Slow cooked Beef and a Roast Pork.

Pasta - 3 to choose from.

Extensive Salad and Veggie Bars.

Dessert bar

Cheese Platters.

I started with Bugs and Prawns. The Prawns were really good. Second helping required.

Mrs C went the Pasta and had good reports.

The roast beef was outstanding, slow cooked with a hint of Hickory. Paired with the Penfold 389 was superb.
I had a slice of the Pork (as you do) and it was also very good.

Prompt table service and when the game starts just slip outside the door the to the comfy leather seats with in arm screens. Tough way to watch the footy.

In at half time for dessert I had a beer, Mrs C partook and said they were also good.

Food 9/10
Price 10/10 I wasn’t paying but at $65 a head I would pay that happily.
Service 8/10 had a wait on the second bottle of red.

If you get the chance book a table by the window. Excellent view of the game and you don’t even leave your table.
1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015.... And don't you forget it!
Corona Man
Coach

Has liked: 1278 times
Been liked: 3485 times
Grassroots Team: Echunga

Postby Spargo » Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:05 pm

You had me at bugs & mussels.
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ
2024 champ, Spargo’s Good Friday Cup @ Ascot

I’ll wait for an angel, but I won’t hold my breath
‘Magine they’re busy, think I’m doin’ ok…
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5478 times
Been liked: 5119 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby Bum Crack » Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:52 pm

Corona Man wrote:The Medallion Club - Etihad Stadium.

I believe there are 3 dining choices here. The Carvery which is a Smorgasbord. The Grill which is an almost silver service Ala Carte and a Sports Bar which is pub grub.

Our host had booked into the Carverey. Smorgies aren’t usually my go but the food was excellent.

Seafood choices - Prawns, Mussels, Oysters, Morton Bay Bugs & Calamari.

Roasts - Slow cooked Beef and a Roast Pork.

Pasta - 3 to choose from.

Extensive Salad and Veggie Bars.

Dessert bar

Cheese Platters.

I started with Bugs and Prawns. The Prawns were really good. Second helping required.

Mrs C went the Pasta and had good reports.

The roast beef was outstanding, slow cooked with a hint of Hickory. Paired with the Penfold 389 was superb.
I had a slice of the Pork (as you do) and it was also very good.

Prompt table service and when the game starts just slip outside the door the to the comfy leather seats with in arm screens. Tough way to watch the footy.

In at half time for dessert I had a beer, Mrs C partook and said they were also good.

Food 9/10
Price 10/10 I wasn’t paying but at $65 a head I would pay that happily.
Service 8/10 had a wait on the second bottle of red.

If you get the chance book a table by the window. Excellent view of the game and you don’t even leave your table.

U had me at bugs. That's great value.
So you've seen everything have you?
Yep
Have you ever seen a man eat his own head?
No
Well you haven't seen everything then have you.
Bum Crack
Coach

Has liked: 320 times
Been liked: 890 times
Grassroots Team: Berri

Postby Booney » Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:41 am

Bum Crack wrote:U had me at bugs. That's great value.

Best feed I've ever had was up in Cairns at a little place on the foreshore that did a seafoof platter that had bugs, muddies, the biggest tiger prawns ever caught and Coffin Bay Oysters. Had a bar a bulldog couldn't chew on.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7491 times
Been liked: 10772 times

Postby Corona Man » Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:16 am

Booney wrote:
Bum Crack wrote:U had me at bugs. That's great value.

Best feed I've ever had was up in Cairns at a little place on the foreshore that did a seafoof platter that had bugs, muddies, the biggest tiger prawns ever caught and Coffin Bay Oysters. Had a bar a bulldog couldn't chew on.

Yep when I saw the Bugs I was fairly happy too. They were good, but the Prawns were actually better. Put away a few natural Oysters for good measure, no return on investment though.
1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015.... And don't you forget it!
Corona Man
Coach

Has liked: 1278 times
Been liked: 3485 times
Grassroots Team: Echunga

Postby HH3 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:07 pm

Friday night, about 6pm, neither of us could be f**ked cooking, so I had the bright idea of heading down to Pizza Hut at Marion for all you can eat.

We drive down there, it's packed, and the poor kid at the counter was having to turn people away. You couldn't even wait, the place was so packed.

So I decided we'd just try Charlies at Brighton.

Now I'm going to be honest. I f**kin HATE buffets with a passion. Charlies, shit. The Watermark, shit. Etc, etc. But Mrs HH3 likes them for the variety, so I thought I'd do her a solid.

We walk in. The only tables available are near the playground thing, which is crawling with dirty kids. You could see the dirt. And don't get me started on the squealing. There was one teenage employee trying to wrangle them from the roof of the hut thing, but by the time she got one down, another little shit was up there too.

The parents nearby were basically staring into space with dead eyes, shoveling food in and slowly chewing, obviously taking a break from parenthood, having thrust the responsibility on a poor 17 year old girl.

Now for the food. It was basically shitty pizza, seafood extender, and different Asian dishes. I spotted the barely touched potato bake, so took a punt that it hadn't been coughed on yet. The front section was torn up, but i used the big long spoon to get some depth and took the crispy back corner, well away from the biological war zone that was the front.

I mixed and matched on the same plate as much as I could. Trying to get as much food as I could in one run so I didn't need to keep squeezing between the chairs of people who'd obviously been to a few all-you-can-eats. Mrs HH3 applauded me on my bravery of combining beef nachos with sweet and sour pork.

The only saving grace was the chocolate pudding and hot custard. I had four pieces drowned in custard over two trips.

This experience cost us $32 each, which seemed a bit steep on entry, and a whole lot steeper once we were done.

Food - 2/10 (a point for each bowl of choc pudding)
Price - get f**ked
Service - The only time anyone talks to you is when they rob you on the way in, so 1/10. (one point for the kid wrangling show)

If it was up to me we'd have burnt the place down on the way out, but since I'm married, we'll probably be back soon.
I TOLD YOU SO

2013/14 NFL Tipping Comp Champion
HH3
Coach

Has liked: 3301 times
Been liked: 2433 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby Dutchy » Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:37 pm

Good to hear Charlies is still shit, still get shivers every time I drive past after a visit 5 years ago!
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2322 times
Been liked: 3496 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:41 pm

HH3 wrote:Friday night, about 6pm, neither of us could be f**ked cooking, so I had the bright idea of heading down to Pizza Hut at Marion for all you can eat.

We drive down there, it's packed, and the poor kid at the counter was having to turn people away. You couldn't even wait, the place was so packed.

So I decided we'd just try Charlies at Brighton.

Now I'm going to be honest. I f**kin HATE buffets with a passion. Charlies, shit. The Watermark, shit. Etc, etc. But Mrs HH3 likes them for the variety, so I thought I'd do her a solid.

We walk in. The only tables available are near the playground thing, which is crawling with dirty kids. You could see the dirt. And don't get me started on the squealing. There was one teenage employee trying to wrangle them from the roof of the hut thing, but by the time she got one down, another little shit was up there too.

The parents nearby were basically staring into space with dead eyes, shoveling food in and slowly chewing, obviously taking a break from parenthood, having thrust the responsibility on a poor 17 year old girl.

Now for the food. It was basically shitty pizza, seafood extender, and different Asian dishes. I spotted the barely touched potato bake, so took a punt that it hadn't been coughed on yet. The front section was torn up, but i used the big long spoon to get some depth and took the crispy back corner, well away from the biological war zone that was the front.

I mixed and matched on the same plate as much as I could. Trying to get as much food as I could in one run so I didn't need to keep squeezing between the chairs of people who'd obviously been to a few all-you-can-eats. Mrs HH3 applauded me on my bravery of combining beef nachos with sweet and sour pork.

The only saving grace was the chocolate pudding and hot custard. I had four pieces drowned in custard over two trips.

This experience cost us $32 each, which seemed a bit steep on entry, and a whole lot steeper once we were done.

Food - 2/10 (a point for each bowl of choc pudding)
Price - get f**ked
Service - The only time anyone talks to you is when they rob you on the way in, so 1/10. (one point for the kid wrangling show)

If it was up to me we'd have burnt the place down on the way out, but since I'm married, we'll probably be back soon.

How was the salad bar?
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby woodublieve12 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:46 pm

Charlies is absolute filth... I think your mark of 2 is too high
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3025 times
Been liked: 2401 times

Postby HH3 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:49 pm

woodublieve12 wrote:Charlies is absolute filth... I think your mark of 2 is too high

I forgot to mention the pungent fish smell in the front bar area.

It smelt like I was driving down Hanson Rd with the windows down on a hot summers night.
I TOLD YOU SO

2013/14 NFL Tipping Comp Champion
HH3
Coach

Has liked: 3301 times
Been liked: 2433 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby JK » Thu Aug 23, 2018 4:47 pm

Oar Cafe - At the Rowing Club, Military Rd, West Lakes

Went for breakfast last Sunday Morning, 3 adults and 3 kids.

Food: Was outstanding. Not that you expect anyone to f*** breakfast up, but they had a few twists on the usual fare. Mate and I had the Eggs Benedict which wasn’t huge by any means, but was tasty as. Plenty of Hollandaise, 1 egg served on a Crossaint, with some Avacado and Beetroot relish. Being seedy as a MoFo at the time on about 3 hours sleep I didn’t need a big meal so the serving was perfect, but if you like a big feed you might need to supplement with one of the other offerings. I had it accompanied with a fresh Orange and Passionfruit juice which was fresh and free of additional sugars, again not a huge serve though.

Missus had the Crab Omelette (or scrambled eggs, can’t remember) which had Thai Herbs and legit Crab and was tasty as with a bit of a kick (I’m heading back at some stage for that one).

Kids shared Fries and Hotcakes, with a Ham and Cheese toasty somewhere
In the mix with strawberry Milkshake and a Berry Smoothy among their beverages.

Atmosphere: Excellent. They pile in on a Sunday morning so highly
Recommended a booking. The setup Is good as they still maintain room to move when they probably could have crammed a few more tables in. Staff were efficient and friendly and happy to share a joke and laugh.

Value: Perhaps takes a little hit here depending on what you’re after - The quality is certainly there but maybe not the quantity if you’re expecting to leave full as a goog.

Food: 9
Atmosphere: 8
Service: 8
Value: 7

Total Rate: 8.0
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4458 times
Been liked: 2986 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Dutchy » Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:59 pm

Went to the Morphy Arms last night, haven't been for years and undergone recent reno's. Impressed with the update and the beer garden has a great vibe. In the bistro I ordered the T bone with peppercorn sauce which was solid for $30, the highlight is the salad/veg bar which is the most upmarket one I have ever seen, some great stuff there and plenty of options to accompany your meal. Everyone in the group of 8 was happy with their feed. A number of options int eh beer department, $9.70 Furphy imperials went down a treat, worth a visit.

8/10
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2322 times
Been liked: 3496 times

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  General Discussion