INS and OUTS for 2019

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: INS and OUTS for 2018

Postby Aerie » Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:30 pm

Steven Summerton retiring. The last Magpie? Credit where it's due, he is/was a very good player and stood strong when his club as he knew it was taken from him. He did what was best for his club and you've got to respect him for that. It wouldn't have been easy.
Aerie
Coach

Has liked: 147 times
Been liked: 503 times

Postby The Dark Knight » Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:25 pm

Aerie wrote:Steven Summerton retiring. The last Magpie? Credit where it's due, he is/was a very good player and stood strong when his club as he knew it was taken from him. He did what was best for his club and you've got to respect him for that. It wouldn't have been easy.
Yep the last original Magpie, sad day. Was always going to be once he goes, in a way, the end of an era.

He's an absolute legend, has gained alot of respect in the local Port football community and had a great career. Hopefully North Haven can get him back one day, sooner rather than later. The club has been trying for a few years.
The Dark Knight
Coach

Has liked: 10298 times
Been liked: 1516 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby blood bath » Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:28 pm

Ex-Gold Coast Suns rookie Joshua William Glenn and Curtis Scot Marks admit to drunken assault
Jordanna Schriever, The Advertiser
an hour ago
Subscriber only
A FORMER AFL player and his footballing co-accused have admitted to drunkenly assaulting another man outside a pub — an incident a magistrate has labelled “a scourge on modern society”.

Joshua William Glenn, 24, broke the victim’s nose when he repeatedly punched him after being kicked out of Gawler’s Exchange Hotel just before midnight on March 2.

He appeared in the Adelaide Magistrates Court on Thursday where he and co-accused Curtis Scot Marks both pleaded guilty to an aggravated count of recklessly causing harm to another.

Glenn, a current Norwood SANFL player, was drafted to the Gold Coast Suns from Central District with pick seven in the 2014 rookie draft.

Joshua William Glenn outside the Adelaide Magistrates Court on Thursday. Picture: AAP / Brenton Edwards
He played five games for the Suns before quitting the club at the end of 2015, citing homesickness.

Police prosecutor Sergeant Neil Kinsey on Wednesday told the court Glenn, 24, of Elizabeth Grove and Marks, 21, of Willaston, were “quite intoxicated” when the incident occurred.

“(Glenn) had about 10 drinks in the space of an hour and a half,” he said.

The court heard Glenn and Marks were sitting outside the hotel when they were approached by the victim, who repeatedly called Marks “a skinny c …”.

Sgt Kinsey said Glenn “told the victim to stop or he’d do something about it”, before setting upon him.

Marks then took a photo of the victim.

“(Glenn) was shocked at the footage and how many times he hit the victim. He was quite contrite in his interview,” Sgt Kinsey said.

Magistrate Simon Smart viewed CCTV of the incident in court, saying Glenn “goes for it” during the attack.

“I mean there’s this blow at first and then he gives him a few more for good measure.

“And then other man (Marks) sees fit to take a souvenir.”

Mr Smart said violence between drunk young men had become a blight on society.

“This is not atypical of what occurs is it? It’s a scourge on modern society, isn’t it, that young men go to licensed premises, drink too much liquor and assault other people,” he said.

Defence lawyer Martin Anders said the pair’s involvement was “inconsistent with the balance of their existence”.

“Both come from good families, both come from law abiding families, both are very disappointed in their conduct and it’s reflected in not only their guilty pleas, it’s reflected in their co-operation with police,” he said.

Play
Mute
0:00
/
0:53
Fullscreen

More news across Adelaide — Lunchtime Newsbyte, Aug. 16
He said Glenn had sought counselling “in a bid to ensure there would never be a repetition”.

He asked the court consider imposing a penalty without recording a conviction.

But Mr Smart questioned whether that was appropriate.

“Do you think that would send an adequate message to the other members of the otherwise law abiding public that they would be safe in licensed premises where there are young men who’ve drunk too much who might become violent,” he said.

“Do you think that would adequately address the scourge that I’ve referred to?”

Both Glenn and Marks had been recruited by Willaston — which plays in the Barossa, Light & Gawler competition — before the incident, but were then sacked.

Glenn was then recruited to SANFL club Norwood.

He has played 10 games and kicked 21 goals — including eight against former club Central District — for the Redlegs’ league side this year but was a late withdrawal on Saturday in what would have been his Elizabeth Oval homecoming.

The case was adjourned to September 21, just two days before the SANFL grandfinal at Adelaide Oval.

With two rounds still to play, Norwood is sitting on the top of the SANFL ladder and premiership favourite.
blood bath
Under 16s

Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 26 times

Postby blood bath » Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:15 pm

Josh Glenn makes himself unavailable for Norwood selection as court case adjourned to next month
Warren Partland, The Advertiser
August 18, 2018 1:39pm
Subscriber only
THE future of Josh Glenn at Norwood is under a cloud after he made himself unavailable for selection.

Joshua William Glenn, 24, pleaded guilty in court on Thursday to an aggravated count of recklessly causing harm to another after breaking the victim’s nose in Gawler in March, has told the club he needs to sort out his personal life.

The midfielder has not played in the past two rounds, including Friday night’s win over North Adelaide at The Parade. The Redlegs will play South Adelaide at Noarlunga Oval on Sunday and then have the bye in the first week of finals the following week as reward for earning the minor premiership.

Former AFL and current SANFL player Joshua William Glenn outside the Adelaide Magistrates Court on Thursday Picture: AAP Image/Brenton Edwards
Glenn’s case has been adjourned to September 21, only two days before the SANFL grand final.

Drafted by Gold Coast Suns from Central District in 2014, Glenn made five AFL appearances before quitting the club at the end of 2015.

He returned to the Bulldogs, only to leave the club at the end of last season to play with Willaston. However, he was sacked by the Barossa, Light & Gawler league club after the incident at a Gawler Hotel.

SPONSORED STORIES
blood bath
Under 16s

Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 26 times

Postby Big Phil » Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:16 pm

daysofourlives wrote:
Big Phil wrote:Will Josh Glenn play for the Legs again this season?

Oh beauty this game again, just tell us what you know FFS

I was actually asking the question, FFS.
Big Phil
Coach

Has liked: 120 times
Been liked: 271 times

Postby stan » Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:55 am

Big Phil wrote:
daysofourlives wrote:

Hard to say now Phill. Difficult when the court date is set 2 days before the GF. So if Norwood make the big dance and he's playing all season it might get a little distracting in the week leading up to the game.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1253 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby Jim05 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:54 am

stan wrote:
Big Phil wrote:
daysofourlives wrote:

Hard to say now Phill. Difficult when the court date is set 2 days before the GF. So if Norwood make the big dance and he's playing all season it might get a little distracting in the week leading up to the game.

Hasn’t Josh made himself unavailable for the remainder of the season?
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3534 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby Wedgie » Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:56 am

Jim05 wrote:
stan wrote:
Big Phil wrote:
daysofourlives wrote:

Hasn’t Josh made himself unavailable for the remainder of the season?

Correct
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2020 times
Been liked: 3862 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby northerner » Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:20 pm

Karma Bus for the Legs.... I admire the group they have on the park this season, but taking on a player under those circumstances was a huge gamble.
Beggars belief that an amateur football side felt the lad was not befitting of their culture and ethics, but a semi-professional Club had no qualms in taking him on board.
northerner
Reserves

Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 429 times
Grassroots Team: Eastern Park

Postby Wedgie » Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:33 pm

northerner wrote:Karma Bus for the Legs.... I admire the group they have on the park this season, but taking on a player under those circumstances was a huge gamble.
Beggars belief that an amateur football side felt the lad was not befitting of their culture and ethics, but a semi-professional Club had no qualms in taking him on board.

Sturt managed to win the 2002 flag, the karma bus sometimes takes the wrong turn.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2020 times
Been liked: 3862 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby JK » Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:16 pm

northerner wrote:Karma Bus for the Legs.... I admire the group they have on the park this season, but taking on a player under those circumstances was a huge gamble.

Player came to us at the 11th hour and he’s fit in well. No gamble on our behalf - well maybe transfer fee, but that’s it, although might play for us again someday who knows? Norwood people happy with the culture at the club, not fussed what others think
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4438 times
Been liked: 2985 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Groucho » Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:16 pm

Day release?
Groucho
Under 18s

Has liked: 106 times
Been liked: 160 times

Postby northerner » Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:16 pm

JK wrote:

Player came to us at the 11th hour and he’s fit in well. No gamble on our behalf - well maybe transfer fee, but that’s it, although might play for us again someday who knows? Norwood people happy with the culture at the club, not fussed what others think

A transfer fee that you couldn't pay until this month! For a player that wont play again this season.... reckon that was a gamble that backfired.

But, yes, the team is playing a great brand of football and will bring home the goods. Me, I will be tending the garden after this weekend :roll:
northerner
Reserves

Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 429 times
Grassroots Team: Eastern Park

Postby Magellan » Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:19 pm

Groucho wrote:Day release?

A home ground detention bracelet, perhaps? ;)
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby JK » Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:26 pm

Groucho, doubt he’ll do time (but I’m no legal expert so who knows).

Northerner, from that sense you might be right, the $ don’t bother me though, we’ve spent more on recruits in the last 10 years (Lee, Doyle, Eagleton, McInnes etc) that also didn’t work out for varying different reasons. Josh might still lineup for us somewhere down the track, just have to see how it pans out.

Enjoy the gardening, I think your club will be busy on the trade front and determined to get themselves back on track in 2019. Us, well we obviously have a decent shot at it, but I still think Sturt are the team to beat.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Postby bulldogproud » Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:09 pm

JK wrote:

11th hour is correct, and after Norwood had negotiated their full salary cap with their players. I will leave you guys to fill in the gaps. Cheers.
A Bulldog in winter; a WTDCC Eagle and OICC Wolf in Summer!
bulldogproud
League - Top 5

Has liked: 489 times
Been liked: 401 times
Grassroots Team: Imperials

Postby bulldogproud » Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:14 pm

JK wrote:Groucho, doubt he’ll do time (but I’m no legal expert so who knows).

Northerner, from that sense you might be right, the $ don’t bother me though, we’ve spent more on recruits in the last 10 years (Lee, Doyle, Eagleton, McInnes etc) that also didn’t work out for varying different reasons. Josh might still lineup for us somewhere down the track, just have to see how it pans out.

Enjoy the gardening, I think your club will be busy on the trade front and determined to get themselves back on track in 2019. Us, well we obviously have a decent shot at it, but I still think Sturt are the team to beat.

Hard for us to be busy on the trade front; sadly we don't have the cash resources that some other clubs have.
Cheers
A Bulldog in winter; a WTDCC Eagle and OICC Wolf in Summer!
bulldogproud
League - Top 5

Has liked: 489 times
Been liked: 401 times
Grassroots Team: Imperials

Postby JK » Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:40 pm

bulldogproud wrote:
JK wrote:

11th hour is correct, and after Norwood had negotiated their full salary cap with their players. I will leave you guys to fill in the gaps. Cheers.

Match payments only? Not like he had a lot of options. There, gap filled :D
FUSC
JK
Coach

Postby JK » Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:43 pm

bulldogproud wrote:
JK wrote:Groucho, doubt he’ll do time (but I’m no legal expert so who knows).

Hard for us to be busy on the trade front; sadly we don't have the cash resources that some other clubs have.
Cheers

Oh well, had a good decade while you did have it
FUSC
JK
Coach

Postby wild dog » Wed Aug 22, 2018 3:05 pm

Wedgie wrote:

Sturt managed to win the 2002 flag, the karma bus sometimes takes the wrong turn.

Depends on how far down the road your talking about; Clarkson got booted out and won 5 AFL premierships. Laird took over and won 7 SANFL premierships. As a passenger, it was a party bus.
wild dog
Under 18s

Has liked: 56 times
Been liked: 180 times
Grassroots Team: Smithfield

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL