INS and OUTS for 2019

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: INS and OUTS for 2018

Postby wild dog » Wed Aug 22, 2018 3:12 pm

bulldogproud wrote:
JK wrote:Groucho, doubt he’ll do time (but I’m no legal expert so who knows).

Northerner, from that sense you might be right, the $ don’t bother me though, we’ve spent more on recruits in the last 10 years (Lee, Doyle, Eagleton, McInnes etc) that also didn’t work out for varying different reasons. Josh might still lineup for us somewhere down the track, just have to see how it pans out.

Enjoy the gardening, I think your club will be busy on the trade front and determined to get themselves back on track in 2019. Us, well we obviously have a decent shot at it, but I still think Sturt are the team to beat.

Hard for us to be busy on the trade front; sadly we don't have the cash resources that some other clubs have.
Cheers

Yep BP, the club is being prudent and wont spend itself into oblivion, so losing / not gaining the services of home grown guys like Glenn, Colquhoun, Menzel et al is disappointing. If we could find another Jansen and Holman over the break and keep most of what we have got, the gardening season will have been worthwhile.
wild dog
Under 18s

Has liked: 56 times
Been liked: 180 times
Grassroots Team: Smithfield

Postby Wedgie » Wed Aug 22, 2018 3:22 pm

Don't be suprised if Troy Menzel is back next year.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2021 times
Been liked: 3862 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Dutchy » Wed Aug 22, 2018 4:03 pm

Daniel Webb retiring from West :D
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3484 times

Postby Groucho » Wed Aug 22, 2018 6:01 pm

Wedgie wrote:Don't be suprised if Troy Menzel is back next year.

I won't hold my breath. Will probably go to Sturt, Eagles or Norwood like nearly every other AFL player that shoulkd have returned to us over the years. We don't have a good return rate. If they do return 1 year and they go somewhere else.
Groucho
Under 18s

Has liked: 106 times
Been liked: 160 times

Postby Wedgie » Wed Aug 22, 2018 6:11 pm

Groucho wrote:

I won't hold my breath. Will probably go to Sturt, Eagles or Norwood like nearly every other AFL player that shoulkd have returned to us over the years. We don't have a good return rate. If they do return 1 year and they go somewhere else.

I reckon he'll be at the Dogs.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2021 times
Been liked: 3862 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Magellan » Wed Aug 22, 2018 6:50 pm

Potentially more players than we would've thought...

Struggling AFL clubs may get access to players from state leagues

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/struggling-afl-clubs-may-get-access-to-players-from-state-leagues-20180822-p4zz47.html

First access to mature-aged recruits from state leagues, or a conditional priority pick that must be traded, are scenarios being discussed at AFL House to help Gold Coast, Carlton and potentially even St Kilda.

Carlton, Gold Coast and St Kilda are likely to apply for “special assistance” under rule 19 early next month, but a priority pick in its purest form might not be given by the AFL Commission.

The AFL executive is likely to recommend that the struggling clubs - which may or may not include St Kilda - be granted first access to state league players, so that the likes of Geelong sensation Tim Kelly end up at bottom clubs rather than premiership contenders. Under this proposal, which is considered likely, the bottom teams would be able to sign two players each from the state leagues.

In what would likely be a separate hand-out, the AFL executive is considering recommending priority picks to Carlton and the Suns, with consideration given to mid-first-round choices - likely to be picks 12 and 13 - after each non-finalist has had a selection. AFL football chief Steve Hocking said on the weekend the AFL had not ruled out the contentious early priority picks, which would potentially give the Blues and Suns the first five picks in the national draft (including a pick for Tom Lynch), though this appears less likely than later choices.

But the AFL also is contemplating whether these priority picks must be traded for mature players - a move that would require that the clubs have room in their salary cap.

A number of state league players will be considered if the AFL approves special access to the state league talent. Former Fremantle defender and Werribee star Sam Collins is one player who would immediately be considered in these circumstances, as would his teammate Josh Corbet, Williamstown’s 2016 Liston Trophy winner Michael Gibson, Essendon VFL’s Nick Hind, Collingwood VFL defender Marty Hore and Sturt forward Shane McAdam.

Rule 19 of the AFL handbook states that at the end of each home-and-away season, “the commission may determine in its absolute discretion that a club is entitled to one or more priority selections at the next occurring national draft selection meeting.”

There is a belief inside AFL House that Carlton and Gold Coast have had significant access to elite young talent, without improving quickly enough.

Indeed, the Blues have 20 first-round draft picks on their list, and boast quality youngsters such as Charlie Curnow, Paddy Dow, Harry McKay and Caleb Marchbank.

It was also only two years ago that Gold Coast had four selections inside the top 10 of the 2016 draft, while young guns like Jaeger O’Meara, Dion Prestia and Josh Caddy have left for stronger Victorian teams.

The reason for the AFL’s rethink on priority picks - and for the state league access option - is multi-faceted.

First, it assists struggling young teams in the short term, rather than simply handing them another elite teenager.

Second, it placates the other clubs in the competition by limiting any compromise to the draft. There is more acceptance from rival clubs of the Suns' structural issues as a northern club in a small market than of Carlton's position, which is seen as more self-inflicted.

St Kilda remain the intriguing club when it comes to “special assistance”. Although the Saints won 11 games in 2017 and missed out on finals football by just one game, senior figures at the AFL believe St Kilda’s list is worse than Carlton's.

And given the disastrous year that Alan Richardson’s side has had, it would be remiss of the Saints to not at least inquire.

Clubs also believe the process of seeking special assistance from the AFL needs clarifying.

While nothing in the rules state that a club must put out their hand, it’s widely accepted at both AFL and club level that clubs must apply, rather than be given, extra help.

Decisions will be made in commission meeting of grand final week.
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby Groucho » Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:36 pm

Wedgie wrote:[

I Really hope you're right.
Groucho
Under 18s

Postby UK Fan » Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:26 am

Josh Glenn out for the year
fester69 wrote: I'm full of "pish and wind" !!You can call me weak !!

MW wrote: Well call me a special asshole!.

Booney wrote: I'm a happy clapper **** stick.

THE SKY HAS FALLEN!!!!
UK Fan
Coach

Has liked: 1197 times
Been liked: 500 times

Postby GMcG » Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:44 am

Groucho wrote:

nobody likes me, everybody hates me, think I'll go and eat worms...…………….
you should try out as the robot on the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy!
GMcG
Under 16s

Has liked: 221 times
Been liked: 45 times

Postby GMcG » Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:45 am

Groucho wrote:

Coming back to Centrals,
together with Peter Krieg & Tim McIntyre :D
GMcG
Under 16s

Has liked: 221 times
Been liked: 45 times

Postby JK » Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:48 am

GMcG wrote:
Groucho wrote:

Coming back to Centrals,
together with Peter Krieg & Tim McIntyre :D

You want Stephen Trigg too?
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4440 times
Been liked: 2985 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby bulldogproud » Thu Aug 23, 2018 12:58 pm

JK wrote:
bulldogproud wrote:
JK wrote:
northerner wrote:Karma Bus for the Legs.... I admire the group they have on the park this season, but taking on a player under those circumstances was a huge gamble.
Beggars belief that an amateur football side felt the lad was not befitting of their culture and ethics, but a semi-professional Club had no qualms in taking him on board.

Player came to us at the 11th hour and he’s fit in well. No gamble on our behalf - well maybe transfer fee, but that’s it, although might play for us again someday who knows? Norwood people happy with the culture at the club, not fussed what others think

11th hour is correct, and after Norwood had negotiated their full salary cap with their players. I will leave you guys to fill in the gaps. Cheers.

Match payments only? Not like he had a lot of options. There, gap filled :D

I thought match payments still counted as part of the salary cap? Is that not the case at Norwood?
I know they struck some sort of deal with the Power and Crows (who pretty much control the SANFL, in that what those clubs want, they get) when they switched their vote at the last minute to allow the Reserves sides in. I thought it was about having Norwood's third-party payments to players exempted from the salary cap (e.g. payments directly from sponsors to players). I didn't realise it extended to match payments not being included as part of the salary too.
Cheers
A Bulldog in winter; a WTDCC Eagle and OICC Wolf in Summer!
bulldogproud
League - Top 5

Has liked: 489 times
Been liked: 401 times
Grassroots Team: Imperials

Postby Groucho » Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:28 pm

Norwood are exempt from the salary cap. ;)
Groucho
Under 18s

Postby JK » Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:30 pm

Base match payment gets paid every game so wouldn’t matter whether that player was Josh or someone else. Lol you Dogs supporters have fallen a long way, moan more than Jenna Jameson now the good times are done
FUSC
JK
Coach

Postby heater31 » Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:46 pm

JK wrote:Base match payment gets paid every game so wouldn’t matter whether that player was Josh or someone else. Lol you Dogs supporters have fallen a long way, moan more than Jenna Jameson now the good times are done
Are sign on fees counted in the cap?
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1259 times

Postby Booney » Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:51 pm

JK wrote:Base match payment gets paid every game so wouldn’t matter whether that player was Josh or someone else. Lol you Dogs supporters have fallen a long way, moan more than Jenna Jameson now the good times are done

:lol:
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby Magellan » Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:52 pm

The difference is Jenna Jameson moaned during the good times.
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby StrayDog » Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:54 pm

Well, a few of us, maybe.

Fair to say though that we did cop a fair bit of this stuff when the 'Dogs were dominating so it's not really anything new on here, or FootySA before it.

Magellan wrote:The difference is Jenna Jameson moaned during the good times.

:lol:
Last edited by StrayDog on Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"— here I opened wide the door; —
Darkness there, and nothing more."

- Edgar Allan Poe from " The Raven "

StrayDog
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 1132 times
Been liked: 192 times

Postby JK » Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:02 pm

heater31 wrote:
Are sign on fees counted in the cap?

Any sign-on payment would be included, transfer fee wouldn’t
FUSC
JK
Coach

Postby northerner » Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:17 pm

bulldogproud wrote:
JK wrote:Groucho, doubt he’ll do time (but I’m no legal expert so who knows).

Northerner, from that sense you might be right, the $ don’t bother me though, we’ve spent more on recruits in the last 10 years (Lee, Doyle, Eagleton, McInnes etc) that also didn’t work out for varying different reasons. Josh might still lineup for us somewhere down the track, just have to see how it pans out.

Enjoy the gardening, I think your club will be busy on the trade front and determined to get themselves back on track in 2019. Us, well we obviously have a decent shot at it, but I still think Sturt are the team to beat.

Hard for us to be busy on the trade front; sadly we don't have the cash resources that some other clubs have.
Cheers

I think we may be in a better position than previously in this regard. A few monetary gains including a tidy sum from Norwood for two lads that we wouldn't have got if they had headed to country leagues :)
I have also heard Troy M is a very likely.... not sure about Peter Krieg though!
northerner
Reserves

Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 429 times
Grassroots Team: Eastern Park

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL