Southern Football League

A forum dedicated to the Southern Football League!

Re: Southern Football League

Postby Dutchy » Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:51 am

Thats the issue, if the kids are u12 then they have every right to play as its obviously their last chance to enjoy the carnival, how the club manages it is critical though.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3482 times

Postby woodublieve12 » Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:31 pm

Tiger83 wrote:
woodublieve12 wrote:
Dutchy wrote:
shoe boy wrote:I believe a number of parents are not happy that during the under 12 carnival their kids missed out so that kids that had played under 13 all year played in the 12 carnival at the expense of their kids who had played under 12 all year !

good luck getting them parents back.

Which club?

We didn't play 5 kids who have been playing u13's all year cause of this issue specifically.

This is another issue with the ridiculous 13/15/17.5 junior set up, should have never been agreed to in the first place, time to go back to 14/16/18.

THIS!!!
Made zero sense changing it in the first place...

Might not make sense at local level, but isn’t it to bring the age groups into line statewide?? Was that the reason for the change?? The old CFB getting to push their weight around??

But you'd think being in line with SANFL is more important???
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3016 times
Been liked: 2384 times

Postby Courtney Fish » Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:25 pm

Look Good In Leather wrote:
Dutchy wrote:This is another issue with the ridiculous 13/15/17.5 junior set up, should have never been agreed to in the first place, time to go back to 14/16/18.

Rubbish, one of the best things we ever did.

We have not been split up once on a Saturday this year, all clubs have a full set (except for one team in the 17.5s), less behavioral issue as the older kids are now playing senior football whilst also providing a larger pool of players in the oldest age group.

The mistake was not changing the Minis to be inline (ie U/11, U/9 & U/7)

I agree, having a stand alone year level in the middle of the junior setup is a bad idea. Have either all odd years starting at under 7's finishing at 17.5's or all even years starting at under 8's through to 18's.
Courtney Fish
Under 16s

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 25 times
Grassroots Team: OSB Lonsdale

Postby Tiger83 » Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:45 pm

THIS!!!
Made zero sense changing it in the first place...[/quote]

Might not make sense at local level, but isn’t it to bring the age groups into line statewide?? Was that the reason for the change?? The old CFB getting to push their weight around??[/quote]
But you'd think being in line with SANFL is more important???[/quote]

You’d think so yes, but I think the SANFL get bent over for anything the AFL want and I think that’s where the directive ultimately came from...
Tiger83
Under 18s

Has liked: 48 times
Been liked: 20 times

Postby Broken Down Hack » Sat Aug 25, 2018 9:14 pm

Impressive finish to the minor round season off SFL
average winning margin 130pts ....
Broken Down Hack
Rookie

Has liked: 49 times
Been liked: 15 times

Postby jake the snake » Sat Aug 25, 2018 9:24 pm

League is cooked, crowds are down, I thought results would even up with marion and osb leaving?
jake the snake
Under 16s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 12 times

Postby helicopterking » Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:02 am

Is this competition still going?
helicopterking
Coach

Has liked: 298 times
Been liked: 666 times

Postby Courtney Fish » Sun Aug 26, 2018 1:15 pm

jake the snake wrote:League is cooked, crowds are down, I thought results would even up with marion and osb leaving?

It's just someone elses turn to be the easybeats now. Someone has to be at the bottom.
Courtney Fish
Under 16s

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 25 times
Grassroots Team: OSB Lonsdale

Postby Zelezny Chucks » Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:21 pm

Courtney Fish wrote:
jake the snake wrote:League is cooked, crowds are down, I thought results would even up with marion and osb leaving?

It's just someone elses turn to be the easybeats now. Someone has to be at the bottom.

Except it's more than that. The standard of the league has dropped dramatically.

Flaggies would be the only team I would rate as being up with the best in the state. 10 years ago I would have said the top 6 would have mixed it at that level. Top players wouldn't even consider playing in the SFL anymore if they aren't already aligned with a club.

When the top side is beating the 4th side by 20 goals a week out from finals it raises questions. Sadly though it's probably too late to fix.
Zelezny Chucks
League - Best 21

Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 66 times
Grassroots Team: Morphett Vale

Postby The_Goss » Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:17 pm

helicopterking wrote:Is this competition still going?

Coming from a Marion supporter whose club took the easy option, moved to a competition/division which would be the 2nd or 3rd worst standard in the state, spent a bucket load of cash and still probably won't win the flag....... Laughable!
The_Goss
Mini-League

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 2 times
Grassroots Team: Aldinga

Postby jet-airport » Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:15 pm

Zelezny Chucks wrote:
Courtney Fish wrote:

Except it's more than that. The standard of the league has dropped dramatically.

Flaggies would be the only team I would rate as being up with the best in the state. 10 years ago I would have said the top 6 would have mixed it at that level. Top players wouldn't even consider playing in the SFL anymore if they aren't already aligned with a club.

When the top side is beating the 4th side by 20 goals a week out from finals it raises questions. Sadly though it's probably too late to fix.

Think you'll find it was a dead rubber game as such, Saints couldn't move from 4th.
jet-airport
Rookie

Has liked: 34 times
Grassroots Team: Reynella

Postby Zelezny Chucks » Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:44 am

jet-airport wrote:
Zelezny Chucks wrote:
Courtney Fish wrote:

Think you'll find it was a dead rubber game as such, Saints couldn't move from 4th.

LOL - you can't be serious that you think this is the reason they got beaten by 20 goals? What did the Bushpigs have to play for? They'd wrapped up top spot already as well. A 10 goal loss you might be able to make a case for but at some point pride should kick in.
Zelezny Chucks
League - Best 21

Postby jet-airport » Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:42 pm

[

When the top side is beating the 4th side by 20 goals a week out from finals it raises questions. Sadly though it's probably too late to fix.[/quote]

Think you'll find it was a dead rubber game as such, Saints couldn't move from 4th.[/quote]

LOL - you can't be serious that you think this is the reason they got beaten by 20 goals? What did the Bushpigs have to play for? They'd wrapped up top spot already as well. A 10 goal loss you might be able to make a case for but at some point pride should kick in.[/quote]

Wasn't at the game, so cant comment on why 20 goal, my comment was Saints side could not change positions was my point, I wouldn't expect the same result come finals if they did cross paths? maybe only 10 goals as you said :D
jet-airport
Rookie

Postby Animus » Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:59 pm

Saints were playing for 3rd spot & the double chance, not exactly a dead rubber
Animus
Under 16s

Has liked: 14 times

Postby jet-airport » Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:33 pm

Animus wrote:Saints were playing for 3rd spot & the double chance, not exactly a dead rubber

Porties were playing M / vale and had 5% better % than Christies, as I said Christies couldn't get any higher .

Look forward to a close finals series, should be 2 x competitive games Sat & Sunday. Shoe and the Winey's for me.
jet-airport
Rookie

Postby Animus » Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:40 pm

jet-airport wrote:
Animus wrote:Saints were playing for 3rd spot & the double chance, not exactly a dead rubber

Porties were playing M / vale and had 5% better % than Christies, as I said Christies couldn't get any higher .

Look forward to a close finals series, should be 2 x competitive games Sat & Sunday. Shoe and the Winey's for me.

Christies % was 2.26 better than Porties after Rd 17...but let's not let the truth get in the way of a good story :roll:
Animus
Under 16s

Has liked: 14 times

Postby Zelezny Chucks » Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:28 pm

Animus wrote:
jet-airport wrote:

Christies % was 2.26 better than Porties after Rd 17...but let's not let the truth get in the way of a good story :roll:

Not sure what point was trying to be made with his original comment anyway. Christies rolling over because they couldn't move up or down is a pretty poor excuse for a drubbing if true and has no bearing on the fact that the standard of the league has dropped overall.

I'm sure Shaun Tanner would love to have heard that no one gave a shit about the result in a milestone game as well.
Zelezny Chucks
League - Best 21

Postby jet-airport » Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:57 pm

Animus wrote:
jet-airport wrote:

My bad was looking at final ladder% :oops:
jet-airport
Rookie

Postby Dutchy » Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:16 am

Christies also playing for a home final
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3482 times

Postby helicopterking » Sat Sep 01, 2018 6:03 pm

The_Goss wrote:
helicopterking wrote:Is this competition still going?

Coming from a Marion supporter whose club took the easy option, moved to a competition/division which would be the 2nd or 3rd worst standard in the state, spent a bucket load of cash and still probably won't win the flag....... Laughable!

Let me guess, Flagstaff Hill or Noarlunga involved?
Huge crowd at Marion today. Playing a GF next week and working up the divisions.
Could have stayed and been smashed every week, attracting no players and struggling to keep juniors transitioning into seniors because of it.
Can’t wait See how long Morphettvale stay being the whipping boys of the comp.
Last edited by helicopterking on Sun Sep 02, 2018 5:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
helicopterking
Coach

Has liked: 298 times
Been liked: 666 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  SFL