Abbott/Liberal Govt Watch

Labor, Liberal, Greens, Democrats? Here's the place to discuss.

Re: Abbott/Liberal Govt Watch

Postby tigerpie » Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:21 pm

The reason malcy got the big A was not necessarily him as a person it was the policies he had to sell.

They couldn't have been all his ideas surely.

So new leader same policies see ya later!
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 498 times
Been liked: 429 times

Postby Gozu » Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:06 pm

tigerpie wrote:The reason malcy got the big A was not necessarily him as a person it was the policies he had to sell.

They couldn't have been all his ideas surely.

So new leader same policies see ya later!

"The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment" – Warren Bennis
Gozu
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 659 times

Postby Psyber » Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:08 am

I had high hopes for Turnbull originally given his small "l" liberal teencies and his support for a republic, but it became obvious he was sruggling to hold the party together as the conservative element never even remotely liked him. I think he probably should have kept Tony Abbott busy with a heavy portfolio like health, as Morrison has done with his main rivals.

Overall, I think we now have the best achievable compromise out of this mess. Although personally I'd have voted for Julie Bishop as leader, I think Dutton would have got up had she been the candidate against him in the final vote, because some of the middle ground in the party may have let gender bias influence them and because she was closely linked to Turnbull in people's minds.

The voters have never liked leadership changes and turmoil, and any party that has one of these events will suffer in the polls for a while. Hopefully Morrison (or Albanese) can save us from Shorten as a future PM.
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 389 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Postby shoe boy » Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:19 am

Psyber wrote:I had high hopes for Turnbull originally given his small "l" liberal teencies and his support for a republic, but it became obvious he was sruggling to hold the party together as the conservative element never even remotely liked him. I think he probably should have kept Tony Abbott busy with a heavy portfolio like health, as Morrison has done with his main rivals.

Overall, I think we now have the best achievable compromise out of this mess. Although personally I'd have voted for Julie Bishop as leader, I think Dutton would have got up had she been the candidate against him in the final vote, because some of the middle ground in the party may have let gender bias influence them and because she was closely linked to Turnbull in people's minds.

The voters have never liked leadership changes and turmoil, and any party that has one of these events will suffer in the polls for a while. Hopefully Morrison (or Albanese) can save us from Shorten as a future PM.

Have you been puffing on your HA mates blunts , Your mob are rotten to the bone and without the Nationals you lot would be extinct .
shoe boy
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 488 times
Been liked: 209 times

Postby Psyber » Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:35 am

shoe boy wrote:
Psyber wrote:I had high hopes for Turnbull originally given his small "l" liberal teencies and his support for a republic, but it became obvious he was sruggling to hold the party together as the conservative element never even remotely liked him. I think he probably should have kept Tony Abbott busy with a heavy portfolio like health, as Morrison has done with his main rivals.

Have you been puffing on your HA mates blunts , Your mob are rotten to the bone and without the Nationals you lot would be extinct .

Matey, I was a blind lefty once too and voted for Whitlam twice in 1972 and 1974.
In 1975 having seen the financial mess they created I gave away Liberal voting cards in Hindmarsh as a act of contrition.

Another factor in my doing that in that location was that and old friend of mine who was the local liberal branch president asked me to because they needed a large guy - at the previous election a woman giving out cards there was assaulted by a large thug and suffered a fractured jaw.

I'm still somewhat of a lefty socially but as far as I am concerned the current ALP/Union push amounts to organised crime - as dictatorial as the LCP's conservatives and the Nationals. I stand for the middle ground, and genuinely democratic processes, but with fiscal responsibility.

I oppose the rotten self-seeking authoritarians in both major parties, and joined the Liberals because at least in that party the candidates for seats are elected by the local membership in the seat and have to listen to them, as they cannot be imposed by backgrond power brokers. Even Cory Bernardi, before he left listened politely and civilly when I presented the argument for supporting gay marriage.
Psyber
Coach

Postby Magellan » Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:39 pm

shoe boy wrote:

Albeit unnecessarily blunt in its delivery, this point is interesting and worth examining further, I think.
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby DOC » Fri Aug 31, 2018 5:00 pm

Dutton now accused of misleading parliament and it does seem that he has (asked to categorically rule out if he had any personal connection or relationship with the intended employer of the au pairs) and his answer was that he could rule it out. Turns out they were cops together for nine years.
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 723 times
Been liked: 2076 times

Postby DOC » Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:25 pm

Imploding quickly.

Peter Dutton battles ahead of further au pair revelations
DAVID SPEERS, The Daily Telegraph
Subscriber only
LAST week Peter Dutton came within three votes of ­becoming prime minister.

It now looks like that’s the closest he’ll ever get. Dutton is facing enemies on all sides.

Some of those who publicly backed him last week are furious. One Cabinet minister reckons either Dutton or Mathias Cormann lied to him about the numbers and led them all over a cliff.

Those who never wanted to dump Malcolm Turnbull are even angrier. They hold Dutton chiefly accountable for destroying the government’s election chances.

Home affairs minister Peter Dutton created a new raft on enemies in his failed coup last week, as close as he became to being Prime Minister.
Labor still has Dutton’s constitutional eligibility to sit in Parliament in its sights and will again try to refer him to the High Court when Parliament resumes.

And then there’s Dutton’s own ­department. The bureaucrats are the ones he should really worry about — or perhaps former bureaucrats in this case.

It’s unclear who’s leaking, but someone with access to internal ­departmental emails from 2015 is out to cause Dutton enormous damage, by simply exposing his actions as minister.

We now know that the then-­immigration minister overruled his department multiple times in 2015 to allow women into the country on tourist visas despite the Border Force experts concluding they were coming here to work as au pairs.

One was French woman Alexandra Deuwel, who had already been counselled about breaching visa conditions on previous visits to Australia, when she had worked as an au pair for the well-connected Mac­Lachlan family in South Australia’s Barossa ­Valley.

When she tried to come back into Australia in November 2015 on a tourist visa, Border Force officers rightly pulled her aside.

Deuwel admitted she had ­arranged “free accommodation for three months in return for helping with this family’s children, cooking and riding their horses”.

Text messages on her mobile phone confirmed this.

That sounds a lot like an employment-like arrangement.

Just months earlier, Border Force stopped an Italian woman entering the country on a tourist visa. They suspected she was planning to work as an au pair for Brisbane couple Russell and Nicole Keag.

Once again, Peter Dutton overruled his department to let her in.

In both cases, there were personal connections. Dutton and Russell Keag were colleagues in the Queensland Police Force more than 20 years ago. The MacLachlan family were generous donors to the Liberal Party.

The minister insists these connections had no influence over his decisions, and there’s no evidence to suggest they did, but some wonder why they can’t get similar treatment.

Former army captain Jason Scanes says Dutton won’t even meet with him to discuss granting a visa to an Afghan interpreter who served alongside Australian forces, wearing an Australian uniform, fighting the Taliban.

Scanes says this interpreter is now being hunted by the Taliban and he can’t believe the minister is instead giving priority to letting nannies into the country.

Labor will pursue these two cases, as well as a third au pair they believe was let in by Dutton on a tourist visa, at a Senate inquiry on Wednesday.

Home Affairs Department head Mike Pezzullo is among those who have been called to give evidence. The ­MacLachlan and Keag families may also be asked to appear.

While granting visas to a few au pairs is hardly of Watergate proportions, Dutton’s judgment has been called into question.

He claims to have acted on “humanitarian” grounds in letting these women into the country as tourists.

While these women are no doubt very nice people, that would seem to be a strange definition of a “humanitarian” act, especially from a minister who’s built a hardman reputation staring down requests to let sick refugees come to Australia for treatment.

All of this is just another headache for the new Prime Minister Scott Morrison, as he tries to put an end to the infighting in his ranks.

Sadly for Morrison, there’s no sign of that happening yet.

Victorian MP Julia Banks exposed how toxic things remain when she ­announced her plans to leave at the next election, partly because of “bullying and intimidation” she’s ­experienced from her own colleagues.
The Prime Minister must ensure such claims are now properly dealt with.

Leaked documents reveal Dutton also intervened in Italian au pair case
Others are still steaming at the ­behaviour of their colleagues.

Just one example is the “palpable rage” one Victorian backbencher expressed at young Liberal senator James Paterson, “who arrived five minutes ago and then runs around getting signatures to bring down the PM”, leaving MPs in lower house seats to face the wrath of voters.

Scott Morrison himself is off to a solid start: putting in place a well-­balanced Cabinet, visiting drought-stricken farmers, a brief trip to Indonesia and a quick game of footy to raise awareness for organ donation.

But the hard work of settling policy divisions and personal animosities still has a long way to go.

At least Morrison has some breathing room on one front: he no longer has to worry about a leadership rival in Peter Dutton.

David Speers is political editor at Sky News.
DOC
Coach

Postby DOC » Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:26 pm

Prime Minister Scott Morrison has ordered an investigation into why his Assistant Treasurer Stuart Robert has been slugging taxpayers up to $2,800 a month for internet bills at his home on Queensland's Gold Coast.

Mr Robert, the Member for Fadden, said "connectivity issues" at his home on Queensland's Gold Coast were to blame for his unusually high bills.

Mr Robert charged taxpayers more than $11,000 for home data over a six-month period, the latest parliamentarians' expenditure reports show, which is an average of $1,846 a month for internet usage.

"My family home is located a significant distance from the telephone exchange resulting in poor broadband internet connectivity," Mr Robert said in a statement.

"At the time a 4G Home Wi-Fi internet connection was the only way to receive reliable and stable internet access.

"My internet, like many in semi-rural areas, was previously unreliable which interfered with my ability to perform my parliamentary and Ministerial duties."

He said the NBN was now being rolled out in his area and he was seeking to be connected to the network.

"When installed, this will result in an immediate drop in costs to a level similar to other parliamentarians," he said.

Mr Morrison said the Federal Government minister responsible for the administration of parliamentary entitlements was looking into the matter.

"Once I've heard from the special minister of state, we'll take the next step," Mr Morrison said.

He said Australians would "want an explanation" about why a MP was spending up to $90 a day for home internet.

In May, taxpayers forked out $2,831 for the Assistant Treasurer's internet bill.

The bill came to $2,704 in April, $1,686 in March, $1,813 at the end of February, $186 in January and $1,859 at the end of December 2017

Should be sacked but won't be. Has now agreed to repay. The only way to incur this bill is to use your phone on a small plan and go over it without giving a toss. There are numerous 4G WiFi plans with unlimited data for $100 or less.
DOC
Coach

Postby tipper » Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:31 am

DOC wrote:Should be sacked but won't be. Has now agreed to repay. The only way to incur this bill is to use your phone on a small plan and go over it without giving a toss. There are numerous 4G WiFi plans with unlimited data for $100 or less.

agree that he should be sacked, and that he wont... and of course he didnt give a toss how much it was costing, he wasnt paying for it.

pollies of all stripes just seem so out of touch with the rest of the world. even if he could argue he didnt realise the bills were so high (as a staffer was taking care of it or something, which i dont necessarily believe) to come out and defend it initially when it is pointed out is rediculous, but sadly appears to be the norm. "its standard practice", "it isnt against the rules", "its technically allowed" or whatever excuse they try to trot out just highlights how insulated from the world they are.

sadly, he will just be added to the growing list that have been called out for this sort of thing and collectively they wont learn a thing.
tipper
League - Top 5

Has liked: 359 times
Been liked: 531 times
Grassroots Team: Peake

Postby stan » Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:27 am

I think Australians would be asking why we are paying for his home internet at all regardless of the ridiculous cost for those few months.

We already pay for his office as a MP with internet, so really if you want to watch Netflix pay for your own internet.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1253 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby Psyber » Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:23 pm

stan wrote:I think Australians would be asking why we are paying for his home internet at all regardless of the ridiculous cost for those few months.

We already pay for his office as a MP with internet, so really if you want to watch Netflix pay for your own internet.

AGREED!
Psyber
Coach

Postby bulldogproud » Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:13 pm

The Morrison government has been rocked today by revelations that a large proportion of the legislation passed in the last five years did so only through administrative errors.

“It’s actually quite embarrassing,” said a senior cabinet member who wished to remain anonymous for obvious reasons. “It turns out probably about half of the stuff we’ve voted for, we were actually supposed to vote against.” The minister then requested directions to his office.

The legislation which has been confirmed to have been erroneously passed includes the Abbott government’s bill to scrap the Australian Charities and Not-For-Profits Commission, and the Turnbull government’s funding of $95 million for the Gold Coast light rail project.

“The government wishes to reassure the Australian people that it is in fact pro-charity, and anti-Gold Coast,” said a spokeswoman, before wandering off.

No answer has yet been forthcoming on what the revelations mean for the marriage equality bill which also passed under the Turnbull government. Rumours are circulating that while those government MPs who voted for marriage equality may have done so by mistake, the same was true of those who voted against it, meaning the overall result may have been the same.

Government staffers could not explain how such an extensive series of administrative errors could have occurred, but offered the theory that Raelene had only just realised she was feeding the voting advice sheets into the photocopier the wrong way up.

“It could happen to anyone really,” said an unidentified and disheveled man in the Parliament House courtyard who claimed to work for Mathias Cormann.

The news is being seen by many commentators as another blow for Scott Morrison’s electoral appeal, although some pundits are speculating that it could actually be helpful to the government, inasmuch as voters will find it difficult to determine whether or not it is in favour of or opposed to any particular policy.

“General confusion is this government’s best chance,” said press gallery doyenne Michelle Grattan, while Sky News commentator Chris Kenny tweeted that “the LNP has shown its genius again with the strategic deployment of administrative error to set the ratbag left into disarray.”

In other circles, observers were seeing the admission as a welcome explanation for some of the government’s more baffling decisions of recent years, such as the short-lived Travel Expenses Abolition Act, and the now-infamous motion “that the House recognise Peter Dutton as Josh Frydenberg’s biological father”.

Late in the day, a story emerged from the chief whip’s office suggesting that the entire Turnbull prime ministership was in fact an administrative error. At the time of writing, official confirmation of this had not been received, but several Liberal staffers communicating with Crikey said that the party room had in 2015 been under the impression they were voting to appoint a new fire warden.
:D
A Bulldog in winter; a WTDCC Eagle and OICC Wolf in Summer!
bulldogproud
League - Top 5

Has liked: 489 times
Been liked: 401 times
Grassroots Team: Imperials

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:43 pm

Sounds about right
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11805 times
Been liked: 3582 times

Postby Q. » Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:02 pm

Remember, the adults are in charge.
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby Gozu » Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:57 pm

Wentworth by-election on Saturday that the Liberal Party desperately need to hold and the smears have hit a new low.

An email falsely claiming independent candidate Dr Kerryn Phelps has pulled out of the Wentworth by-election because she has HIV has emerged, in what the candidate says is just one of the "dirty tricks" being deployed in the campaign.

The email, obtained by the ABC, was sent to hundreds of constituents and organisations from a fake address on Sunday and urges recipients to divert their vote to Liberal candidate Dave Sharma.

The ABC does not suggest Mr Sharma or anyone involved with his campaign was behind the email

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-10-17/ ... v/10382406
"The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment" – Warren Bennis
Gozu
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 659 times

Postby DOC » Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:52 pm

Kerryn Phelps will win and send the government into minority.
DOC
Coach

Postby Q. » Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:08 pm

Appaling speech by Morrison
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby stan » Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:33 pm

Spill mate, seems the internet is struggling tonight. What was his gist?
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1253 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby Brodlach » Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:41 pm

He likened the spirit of the Liberal Party to the Imdomitible Spirit of the Invictus Games
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4206 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  Politics