Southern Football League

A forum dedicated to the Southern Football League!

Re: Southern Football League

Postby sweendog » Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:12 pm

Well!! I hope saints put up a better fight than the cockdivers did today...while I’m at it can I get a refund??
Confirms sfl is on deathrow
oh when the saints go marching in
sweendog
Rookie

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 12 times
Grassroots Team: Christies Beach

Postby The_Goss » Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:22 pm

helicopterking wrote:
The_Goss wrote:
helicopterking wrote:Is this competition still going?

Coming from a Marion supporter whose club took the easy option, moved to a competition/division which would be the 2nd or 3rd worst standard in the state, spent a bucket load of cash and still probably won't win the flag....... Laughable!

Let me guess, Flagstaff Hill or Noarlunga involved?
Huge crowd at Marion today. Playing a GF next week and working up the divisions.
Could have stayed and been smashed every week, attracting no players and struggling to keep juniors transitioning into seniors because of it.
Can’t wait See how long Morphettvale stay being the whipping boys of the comp.

Not involved with either actually. My team has had it's struggles and is a long time between drinks in terms of premierships, but hasn't decided to take our bat and ball home and move to an inferior standard of competition for some easy wins.

It's funny how you mention Flagstaff Hill though. Weren't they playing Division 2 before the league in their infinite wisdom decided to create the one div? So they've actually come from a lower base than Marion (and OSB/Lonsdale for that matter) to achieve what they have. I'd suggest that is something to be proud of.......

Anyway, good luck in the prestigious Div 7 GF this weekend.
The_Goss
Mini-League

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 2 times
Grassroots Team: Aldinga

Postby MW » Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:34 pm

Inferior standard LMAO!
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2581 times
Been liked: 1822 times

Postby shoe boy » Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:57 pm

MW wrote:Inferior standard LMAO!

I dont want to down play Div 7 footy standard but when you have a club like Marion who had not won a game in 4 years and Lonsdale who would win 2 a year for a long period and are now playing in a GF :-??
shoe boy
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 488 times
Been liked: 209 times

Postby tigerpie » Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:34 pm

shoe boy wrote:

I dont want to down play Div 7 footy standard but when you have a club like Marion who had not won a game in 4 years and Lonsdale who would win 2 a year for a long period and are now playing in a GF :-??

Hit nail on head, flush as, shoeboy.
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 498 times
Been liked: 429 times

Postby The Bedge » Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:43 pm

D7 is a very ordinary standard, as it would be expected being the lowest A grade division, but the competition as a whole isn't inferior to AdFL, and over the coming years Marion & OSB will find their place in the pecking order just the same as everyone else - that's the biggest upside to AdFL over SFL, is that there is a place for all clubs regardless of ability - the good ones excel up near the top, the middle range clubs sit middle divs and the battlers sit near the bottom with some good years in the lowest, and some ordinary years higher.
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3188 times
Been liked: 3989 times

Postby Look Good In Leather » Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:05 pm

The Bedge wrote:D7 is a very ordinary standard, as it would be expected being the lowest A grade division, but the competition as a whole isn't inferior to AdFL, and over the coming years Marion & OSB will find their place in the pecking order just the same as everyone else - that's the biggest upside to AdFL over SFL, is that there is a place for all clubs regardless of ability - the good ones excel up near the top, the middle range clubs sit middle divs and the battlers sit near the bottom with some good years in the lowest, and some ordinary years higher.

I do not think anyone is in debate with that. I would suggest most football people would recognize that the Adelaide Footy League is a well run organisation, and what is does works really well, but it is solely focused on Senior football and as such is not a direct comparison to our competition.

Our competition is built on maximum community involvement, and as such the integration with three grades of junior football is a key plank in what we do, this is something the Adelaide Footy League does not, and cannot provide. Saturday home games are a significant fundraiser for our clubs, something the AdFL is a long way behind us on. AdFL is a perfect fit for Lonsdale, Marion, Morphettville Park, Plympton, Mitchell Park, Edwardstown, and I expect in time Hackham. All of those clubs struggled (or would struggle now) to regularly field the required Saturday grades, and as such did not fit the expectations of our league. The Adelaide Footy League allows them to play without the expectation of a full 5 games of football and they can find their level as a result.

So yes, Div 7 is a low standard, but it has given those two clubs an opportunity to play at a competitive level, both will eventually find their level at a higher level. A couple of seasons ago they had to play against Brighton, who are now one win away from Division 1, instead they can now compete against clubs at a similar, or this year at a lower, level to them.
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Has liked: 150 times
Been liked: 284 times

Postby Courtney Fish » Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:46 pm

shoe boy wrote:

If you think the Marion side this year is of the same standard as 2017 you would be mistaken. Would take care of Morphies and Aldinga I reckon.
Courtney Fish
Under 16s

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 25 times
Grassroots Team: OSB Lonsdale

Postby marbles » Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:41 am

Sfl will only have 7 clubs in 2019.
marbles
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 275 times
Been liked: 258 times

Postby tigerpie » Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:47 am

marbles wrote:Sfl will only have 7 clubs in 2019.

Ok. I'll bite.

Who are they?
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 498 times
Been liked: 429 times

Postby Look Good In Leather » Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:05 am

Unless two are folding, not sure how that is going to work when everyone has signed two year agreements
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Has liked: 150 times
Been liked: 284 times

Postby shoe boy » Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:23 am

If you think the Marion side this year is of the same standard as 2017 you would be mistaken. Would take care of Morphies and Aldinga I reckon.[/quote]

I would disagree !
shoe boy
Assistant Coach

Postby Q. » Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:34 am

shoe boy wrote:

So by your logic, the SFL must also have been inferior standard while those two clubs were in it
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby heater31 » Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:55 am

Look Good In Leather wrote:

Unless two are folding, not sure how that is going to work when everyone has signed two year agreements
Doesn't give much long term future of the league then....gives the remaining clubs 2 years to look at their options.
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1259 times

Postby Dutchy » Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:02 am

Marion brought SFA to the SFL and Should have made the move 10 years ago, OSBL tried really hard with good people in a tight geographical area surrounded by strong clubs so could never get their juniors humming along.

I really hope OSBL get some reward this Saturday.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3484 times

Postby shoe boy » Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:13 am

Q. wrote:
shoe boy wrote:

So by your logic, the SFL must also have been inferior standard while those two clubs were in it

No ,the SFL has one division and someone has to sit on the bottom of the table.

Sorry if i offended just stating the facts.
shoe boy
Assistant Coach

Postby Q. » Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:47 am

shoe boy wrote:
Q. wrote:
shoe boy wrote:

Sorry if i offended just stating the facts.
Yeah, but they're D6/7 standard and came from your league
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby zer0day9 » Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:10 am

What's with the negativity aimed at Marion and OSB/Lonsdale? It sounds like there are a few here that were hoping to see them fail. Is it jealousy that both clubs have had instant success in a different league, albeit in Div 7? Or is it fear that your own club could be the cellar dweller in a rapidly declining SFL?
zer0day9
Mini-League

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 2 times

Postby shoe boy » Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:11 am

Sorry if i offended just stating the facts.[/quote]Yeah, but they're D6/7 standard and came from your league[/quote]

Once again we have one division , within that the bottom sides get a soft draw and are allocated more points in the APPS but continue to battle at the bottom .
The main problem as LGIL pointed was the junior structure where we play with 3 junior and 2 senior on Saturday .

I know a number of Lonsdale personal and wish them all the best for the wend.
shoe boy
Assistant Coach

Postby marbles » Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:36 am

Look Good In Leather wrote:
marbles wrote:Sfl will only have 7 clubs in 2020.

fixed that for u

youd have to be numb nuts to not see the ship is sinking, you hate to end up stuck in a season where only 5 clubs remain? or something like that
marbles
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 275 times
Been liked: 258 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  SFL