40%
St Pauls OS
4%
Tea Tree Gully
3%

Total votes : 77

Re: Adelaide Footy League Division 7 - 2018

Postby The Bedge » Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:09 am

lion heart wrote:I’d expect us to put a better team on the park next season we didn’t spend much or really try to recruit this season. The players we had were at the club for the right reasons. We lost all our money recruits from last season Polec to Pulteney, Francis and Carr to Kilburn, Wheadon to Port Adelaide reserves, Papagozlov to Aldinga - some serious footballers amongst that lot. We are now a more attractive proposition for recruits after making a GF.

They're some massive outs - if you'd kept even two of those guys this year would've made a huge difference.

I'm curious, if I may ask.. how much does the move to AdFL impact on your footy budget compared to SFL given you cant take a gate for home games, and only have the two games? Is it a big drop in income?

Are OSB (or Marion) in a position to look to push for a C grade in the coming years?
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3188 times
Been liked: 3989 times

Postby lion heart » Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:14 am

TEX07 wrote:
It felt like you guys had so many more younger guys when we played that last final. We are a massive range in age, one guy is 52 right down to a lad who is 18. About 6 of us over 40 then a group between 25-30.

Plenty of youth in the reserves and on the sidelines this year. The A grade fielded 2 x 16 year olds in the GF and we also have a few in the SANFL system. A handful of them had a taste of A grade this year and can make an impact next year. Then we have the O'Leary boys who play great footy at the higher level (prob top 10 players at the club) but prefer to play with mates in the Ressies.
O’Sullivan Beach F.C Est. 1975
Lonsdale F.C Est. 1977
O’Sullivan Beach/Lonsdale F.C Est. 2001
Premierships
A-Grade ~ 5
Reserves ~ 5
Juniors ~ 17
lion heart
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 64 times
Been liked: 62 times
Grassroots Team: OSB Lonsdale

Postby lion heart » Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:24 am

The Bedge wrote:
lion heart wrote:I’d expect us to put a better team on the park next season we didn’t spend much or really try to recruit this season. The players we had were at the club for the right reasons. We lost all our money recruits from last season Polec to Pulteney, Francis and Carr to Kilburn, Wheadon to Port Adelaide reserves, Papagozlov to Aldinga - some serious footballers amongst that lot. We are now a more attractive proposition for recruits after making a GF.

They're some massive outs - if you'd kept even two of those guys this year would've made a huge difference.

I'm curious, if I may ask.. how much does the move to AdFL impact on your footy budget compared to SFL given you cant take a gate for home games, and only have the two games? Is it a big drop in income?

Are OSB (or Marion) in a position to look to push for a C grade in the coming years?

We lost the gate but the bar and subs were definitely up this year by a long way. We were also carrying a bit of debt coming into season which was a major factor in the move. We were paying big to win a couple of games per year (and not even be competitive in the rest).

C grade definitely on the cards we had great numbers and plenty missing out. We will see how numbers go next year.
Lonsdale F.C Est. 1977
Premierships
A-Grade ~ 5
Reserves ~ 5
Juniors ~ 17
lion heart
League Bench Warmer

Postby Courtney Fish » Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:29 am

The Bedge wrote:

I would hope a C grade would be in the club's sights next year. Can't remember when, if at all blokes are missing out on a game so often. Hopefully get a few SFL players looking for something different.
I'd say the Bar, Canteen and BBQ increase may offset the lack of gate takings. A lot of people only have so much cash to spend anyway so save a fiver on the entry and just spend it on food and drinks anyway. Way bigger crowds this year. A few wins goes along way to get people interested again.
Courtney Fish
Under 16s

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 25 times

Postby Off The Wall » Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:24 am

The Bedge wrote:
Dutchy wrote:Congrats on your flag, but "Dynasty' ?

Could be if their A grade don't earn promotion - Houghton B grade now 30 wins from 34 matches in the minor round, 2x Grand Finals (1x runner up and 1x premiership) from their last two seasons in D7R. :D ;)

IF Adelaide Lutheran drop down, then you'd have a reserves side coming off 2 x Premierships and 34 wins from 36 games in minor rounds. Battle of the sandbaggers ;)
Off The Wall
Under 16s

Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 22 times

Postby Keyser Soze » Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:48 am

The Bedge wrote:

C-Grade at Marion is a possibility and my information is it has been discussed but would need probably 65-70 players so still some work to do.

In saying that the premiership side was relatively young and not sure of any players not going on next year so still lots of scope for improvement. Similar to Lonsdale had players missing out in the B grade for the first time in years so numbers were good, but probably the biggest advantage moving forward is the club now has a solid junior program and junior players starting to transition to seniors. The Marion under 16.5's team is playing in a Grand Final this Sunday and up to 10 of these boys could play senior footy next year. Looking at Div 6 next year both Hectorville and Elizabeth have pretty good junior programs so I'd expect them to be around the mark in Div 6 next year.

As for the gate, lots of entry and exit points at Marion and SFL clubs made the most of these at home games. The bigger crowds and additional money on the BBQ and canteen plus the advantage of a huge crowd at a home final (which they didn't have to pay for) more than made up for loss of income on the gate.
Keyser Soze
Rookie

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 10 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:54 am

Keyser Soze wrote:
C-Grade at Marion is a possibility and my information is it has been discussed but would need probably 65-70 players so still some work to do.

80 minimum I'd say mate, last thing you'd wanna do is be chasing up players on a Thursday night to fill in as you wont see any rego out of them and numbers can get scarce during the colder months or if you're struggling.

To be sustainable you need at least half a dozen missing out each week, this will keep numbers on the track up a bit.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby norwood8 » Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:54 pm

hulkamania wrote:Hard as nails, 40+ years old (correct me if im wrong) and still playing good footy. Top bloke as well, very humble and always up for a chat. hopefully he gets another chance at some silverwear before he hangs up the boots for good.

Weeties is a top bloke and as hard at the footy as anyone running around. Speaking to him after the game he said "still got 10 plus years left" :lol: :lol:
norwood8
Under 18s

Has liked: 85 times
Been liked: 95 times

Postby scottroo » Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:23 pm

Need big numbers for 3 teams. 85 is a minimum
scottroo
League - Best 21

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 172 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby Down the Hill » Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:41 pm

Correct - 65 to 70 is well short for having 3 teams with the modern football generation. 3 teams requires at least 63 on the park every week but injury (stubbed toe), illness (a sniffle), holidays (Bali during Uni semester break), exams, girlfriends winery tour birthday, going to Melbourne for a footy weekend, aunties 50th, grandmas funeral (yes they bury and cremate on a Saturday these days) and work are just a few reasons why at least 20 out of 85 lads of this generation will miss a game of footy. Sad but true. I will stop short of saying "in my day" but as a club administrator it does my head in.
Down the Hill
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 275 times
Grassroots Team: Brighton District & OS

Postby Footy Chick » Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:49 pm

Down the Hill wrote:. I will stop short of saying "in my day" .

and it makes you sound old :lol:
Don't play games with a girl who can play 'em better...

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Has liked: 1737 times
Been liked: 2144 times

Postby The Bedge » Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:53 pm

Down the Hill wrote:Correct - 65 to 70 is well short for having 3 teams with the modern football generation. 3 teams requires at least 63 on the park every week but injury (stubbed toe), illness (a sniffle), holidays (Bali during Uni semester break), exams, girlfriends winery tour birthday, going to Melbourne for a footy weekend, aunties 50th, grandmas funeral (yes they bury and cremate on a Saturday these days) and work are just a few reasons why at least 20 out of 85 lads of this generation will miss a game of footy. Sad but true. I will stop short of saying "in my day" but as a club administrator it does my head in.

Add in baby showers, lunch for your girlfriends birthday, travel distance is too far, opposition is too tough, CBF, weddings.. umm what else.. hmm "resting" so your milestone game coming up falls on a certain round.
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3188 times
Been liked: 3989 times

Postby someguy1 » Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:16 pm

Used 115 the year we had a C grade.
someguy1
Under 16s

Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 45 times

Postby marbles » Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:10 pm

The Bedge wrote:
Down the Hill wrote:Correct - 65 to 70 is well short for having 3 teams with the modern football generation. 3 teams requires at least 63 on the park every week but injury (stubbed toe), illness (a sniffle), holidays (Bali during Uni semester break), exams, girlfriends winery tour birthday, going to Melbourne for a footy weekend, aunties 50th, grandmas funeral (yes they bury and cremate on a Saturday these days) and work are just a few reasons why at least 20 out of 85 lads of this generation will miss a game of footy. Sad but true. I will stop short of saying "in my day" but as a club administrator it does my head in.

Add in baby showers, lunch for your girlfriends birthday, travel distance is too far, opposition is too tough, CBF, weddings.. umm what else.. hmm "resting" so your milestone game coming up falls on a certain round.

And sorry but i got fully parro last night at the ramsgate so im not playing today.
marbles
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 275 times
Been liked: 258 times

Postby LaughingKookaburra » Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:07 pm

Best I’ve heard was one bloke forgot it was Saturday when I played in Mildura. He then went on to say that he thought it was Sunday which made it 1 million times funnier. Called him 5 mins before the game and he was 75 kms out of town.

The sad thing was that this bloke could seriously play.
Can you bring a man to his feet when defeat is on repeat?
LaughingKookaburra
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 738 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby lion heart » Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:46 pm

scottroo wrote:Need big numbers for 3 teams. 85 is a minimum

We used 86 this year for 2 grades. We would want 100+ I would think. Imagine the excuses a 10-20 start @ Trinity could conjure :shock:
Lonsdale F.C Est. 1977
Premierships
A-Grade ~ 5
Reserves ~ 5
Juniors ~ 17
lion heart
League Bench Warmer

Postby mighty hounds » Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:25 pm

lion heart wrote:
scottroo wrote:Need big numbers for 3 teams. 85 is a minimum

We used 86 this year for 2 grades. We would want 100+ I would think. Imagine the excuses a 10-20 start @ Trinity could conjure :shock:

Good thing they’re in Div 5 next season then ;)
mighty hounds
Coach

Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 285 times

Postby Dutchy » Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:00 am

lion heart wrote:
C grade definitely on the cards we had great numbers and plenty missing out. We will see how numbers go next year.

Would it make sense to put your C grade in the SFL C grade comp?
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3482 times

Postby Trader » Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:18 am

Would that create issues with guys that get promoted from the C's to the B's as they can't get cleared from SFL to AdFL after June 30, and visa versa
Danny Southern telling Plugga he's fat, I'd like to see that!
Trader
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 794 times

Postby Pag » Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:25 am

Dutchy wrote:
lion heart wrote:C grade definitely on the cards we had great numbers and plenty missing out. We will see how numbers go next year.

Would it make sense to put your C grade in the SFL C grade comp?

Wouldn't you have the C grade in the C9AFL so all grades can then play on the same day at the same venue. You know, like the SFL like to advertise they do? ;)
Pag
Coach

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 498 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Adelaide Footy League