Preliminary Final

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: Preliminary Final

Postby FlyingHigh » Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:37 pm

JK wrote:
FlyingHigh wrote:Scoring in September a re, the Eagles neither over or underachieved. Since then it's been the complete opposite of those two. Perhaps the right players haven't been found to replace those of the ilk, grit or experience of McKenzie, Treeby, Powell, Cicca etc

Players of that calibre are near impossible to get and/or keep these days. Clubs could offer far more money last decade, and the SANFL was probably the highest rated state league.

Good point I overlooked regarding the ability to recruit talent. However, not too much of the hard-bitten element, Rowntree (who also had the ability of those mentioned), Poole, FIrns and Guifredda (who don't have that talent), and the game plan and players revolve around a cautious, keep-possession, non-urgent style. Last week heard Godden comparing Sharrard's competitiveness to some of the 2011 team, saying it was something the team had been lacking then
FlyingHigh
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 81 times
Been liked: 174 times

Postby Ye Olde Place Kick » Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:48 pm

Hondo wrote:
Footy Chick wrote:
Dogs64 wrote:
goddy11 wrote:I don't understand all the interchange protocols but I hope someone can explain how
1. North did not know the status of one of its injured player. Was actually on the ground.
2. the interchange steward at the end of 3/4 time does not know who is on/off
3.The guy with the magnets on the North bench does not realise an extra player is on.

4. The player and team mates around don't realise.

Carr said it wasnt tropiano who supposedly didnt read the board, he was meant to be on. So they knew he wasnt down getting treatment or being tested, as discussed by some.

I thought the below from the judge was interesting;
"Their various explanations as to how this
came about were unsatisfactory and confusing; however, I find that the decision that they indulged in was
not deliberate."

A little bit of double standards here (not necessarily directed at you here)

But everyone is crying that in this day and age the game is far too fast and busy for a captain to be expected to see a 19th man on the field to report to the ump so why should a player or any other person on the sideline notice if they're busy trying to coach the game?

Lets all think about that.

I reckon one change will be the officials giving an all clear at the start of each quarter regarding an accounting for the 3 players not on the field

I think that alone would solve this ever happening again. It seems really obvious in hindsight and would be unnecessary 999 times out of 1,000.

But clearly here there’s been an Uber blunder with an obvious thing completely left up to the team to police itself.

Was thinking along similar lines Hondo wondering who was responsible for identifying the 3 players - club or interchange steward?

Looking for solutions make it the club's responsibility to inform the steward of the 3 players before the start of each quarter. If they can't after a set amount of time, get the 4th umpire to play a free to their opposition to start the quarter from the centre circle or if it was discovered at 19 were on the field then a count would occur, it would only happen once and clubs would be quick to comply. As well as the captain making the call perhaps if the steward realises a team has 19 on the field at any stage during the match he could get the 4th umpire to call for a count. Finally if it wasn't identified there were 19 on the field until after a game had finished, set a ruling of a goal per minute. ie up to 60 seconds 1 goal for the opposition, 61 to 2 mins = 2 goals, 2.01 to 3 mins = 3 goals etc. It makes for a quick resolution to the matter to adjust one teams score and if it changes the result of the game so be it. Certainly clubs would act in great haste to remove any extra player.
Ye Olde Place Kick
Under 16s

Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 42 times

Postby rocketeer » Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:00 pm

amber_fluid wrote:
He could of at least made some sort of an apology to the Eagles.

This is on the North website. It looks like an apology to me and it who is it is addressed to includes all the Eagles supporters on here:

We expected to be penalised and were open to whatever penalty was to be handed down. We were fined $10,000 and the loss of 4 premiership points for 2019. The mistake that occurred on Sunday has created much angst and emotion for both the NAFC and WWTFC communities and for that we apologise to all supporters of both clubs,
rocketeer
Rookie

Has liked: 133 times
Been liked: 15 times
Grassroots Team: Adelaide University

Postby daysofourlives » Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:21 pm

Hondo wrote:
Footy Chick wrote:
Dogs64 wrote:
goddy11 wrote:I don't understand all the interchange protocols but I hope someone can explain how
1. North did not know the status of one of its injured player. Was actually on the ground.
2. the interchange steward at the end of 3/4 time does not know who is on/off
3.The guy with the magnets on the North bench does not realise an extra player is on.

4. The player and team mates around don't realise.

Carr said it wasnt tropiano who supposedly didnt read the board, he was meant to be on. So they knew he wasnt down getting treatment or being tested, as discussed by some.

I thought the below from the judge was interesting;
"Their various explanations as to how this
came about were unsatisfactory and confusing; however, I find that the decision that they indulged in was
not deliberate."

A little bit of double standards here (not necessarily directed at you here)

But everyone is crying that in this day and age the game is far too fast and busy for a captain to be expected to see a 19th man on the field to report to the ump so why should a player or any other person on the sideline notice if they're busy trying to coach the game?

Lets all think about that.

I reckon one change will be the officials giving an all clear at the start of each quarter regarding an accounting for the 3 players not on the field

I think that alone would solve this ever happening again. It seems really obvious in hindsight and would be unnecessary 999 times out of 1,000.

But clearly here there’s been an Uber blunder with an obvious thing completely left up to the team to police itself.

Wont need to do anything like that, the 666 starting formation will take care of that, if there is a loose in one of the thirds a free will be paid
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2423 times
Been liked: 1660 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby daysofourlives » Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:23 pm

Has there been any please explain on Seb Galhuis outburst on facebook, i would say accusing the umpires of cheating is up there. Or are they sweeping that under the carpet because they feel guilty,

Surely he gets games or at the very least a fine and so should his club
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2423 times
Been liked: 1660 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby Ye Olde Place Kick » Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:28 pm

But clearly here there’s been an Uber blunder with an obvious thing completely left up to the team to police itself.[/quote]

Wont need to do anything like that, the 666 starting formation will take care of that, if there is a loose in one of the thirds a free will be paid[/quote]

Shit Days 6 in the medical rooms would make it a bit crowded. :shock:

On a serious note is that 6-6-6 rule definitely going to come in?
Would make things a bit easier count wise.
Ye Olde Place Kick
Under 16s

Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 42 times

Postby bulldogproud » Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:05 pm

Bombers4EVA wrote:How often do the rules get looked over?

Not as often as they get overlooked.
A Bulldog in winter; a WTDCC Eagle and OICC Wolf in Summer!
bulldogproud
League - Top 5

Has liked: 489 times
Been liked: 401 times
Grassroots Team: Imperials

Postby bulldogproud » Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:07 pm

Eagles2014 wrote:
woodublieve12 wrote:19th man didn’t cost the eagles, blowing a 40 odd point lead did. More should be talked about that

Agree totally. All this drama has done has meant Godden's failures as a finals coach and his game plan in finals has been glossed over. All the attention on other matters. Have not heard him accept any responsibility for what really was a massive choke, just focussing on the 19th man fiasco.

I do think Eagles were affected early in the last quarter as the Coaches box were in chaos, but also think the right decision was made in the end. Cant imagine how Eagles players would have got up for the game knowing they were beaten last week.

Give credit where credit's due though: the Eagles were good enough to establish that 47 point lead in the first place.
Also, without the injuries during the 2nd Semi, they may have beaten the almost unstoppable Norwood.
The Eagles should be full of pride for their season.
Cheers.
A Bulldog in winter; a WTDCC Eagle and OICC Wolf in Summer!
bulldogproud
League - Top 5

Has liked: 489 times
Been liked: 401 times
Grassroots Team: Imperials

Postby PatowalongaPirate » Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:26 am

What a disgrace. Hybrids should be in the Grand Final due to North’s cheating. SANFL has zero integrity these days.
safooty Melbourne Cup Day Tipping Champion 2018 & 2019 #Back2Back
2018 safooty NFL Tipping Champion
PatowalongaPirate
2022 SA Footy Punter of the Year

Has liked: 446 times
Been liked: 1209 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby king neptune » Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:21 am

So every single rule in a game of football is up to the umpires/officials to enforce, except this one which requires players' input? Not like they have a game to focus on.

Farcical isn't strong enough a word.
NO AMOUNT OF PSYCHOLOGICAL MANIPULATION, HORMONAL OR SURGICAL MUTILATION WILL EVER CHANGE A PERSON'S GENDER
king neptune
Rookie

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 26 times
Grassroots Team: Kilburn

Preliminary Final

Postby Hondo » Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:06 am

daysofourlives wrote:Wont need to do anything like that, the 666 starting formation will take care of that, if there is a loose in one of the thirds a free will be paid

Yes it would make it a lot easier and maybe this fiasco shows another reason why that rule could be a good idea.

You could still have a thumbs up from the interchange steward to indicate all good to go regarding players not on the field. Then the interchanges from then on are monitored. If there’s a problem later on the clubs don’t need to defend what they did or didn’t do. The officials control numbers on field.

FWIW if that was all in place I’d only want to see a score wipe for an intentional, wilful breach ie cheat. And that would have to be investigated after the game so even then don’t wipe the score on the spot, way too harsh a penalty IMO.

Anything else should be picked up almost instantly and the penalty be something basic like one free kick in the goal square. Then you could have a demerit system to fine a club or some other penalty of they accumulate x number of breaches over time.
In between signatures .....
Hondo
Coach

Has liked: 70 times
Been liked: 32 times

Postby Wedgie » Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:30 am

Happy 19th of the month everyone! :D
#PutYourTissuesOut
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2039 times
Been liked: 3880 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby holden78 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:38 am

Wedgie wrote:Happy 19th of the month everyone! :D
#PutYourTissuesOut

That’s not the light of the Lord you’re seeing,
It’s the Karma train a coming.......
holden78
League - Best 21

Has liked: 37 times
Been liked: 55 times

Postby Wedgie » Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:03 am

holden78 wrote:
Wedgie wrote:Happy 19th of the month everyone! :D
#PutYourTissuesOut

That’s not the light of the Lord you’re seeing,
It’s the Karma train a coming.......

Mate, any karma train that has North going from 10th to a Grand Final and knocking the Eagles out in a Prelim after being 47 points down has me up the front stoking the boiler!
Toot toot!
8)

#PutYourTissuesOut
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2039 times
Been liked: 3880 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby amber_fluid » Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:04 am

rocketeer wrote:
amber_fluid wrote:
He could of at least made some sort of an apology to the Eagles.

This is on the North website. It looks like an apology to me and it who is it is addressed to includes all the Eagles supporters on here:

We expected to be penalised and were open to whatever penalty was to be handed down. We were fined $10,000 and the loss of 4 premiership points for 2019. The mistake that occurred on Sunday has created much angst and emotion for both the NAFC and WWTFC communities and for that we apologise to all supporters of both clubs,

Cheers.
I hadn’t seen that.

But alot of people wouldn’t read an opposing clubs website though.
Maybe a more public apology by the coach on a radio show would have helped those that don’t read clubs websites.

Anyway we move on.
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2224 times
Been liked: 2512 times

Postby Booney » Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:53 am

Goddsy hasn't taken it particularly well, has he?

He mentioned they'd have been happy to replay the last quarter on Tuesday night, was he taking the piss there or what?
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7481 times
Been liked: 10770 times

Postby Corona Man » Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:01 am

Is rock, paper, scissors still an option?
1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015.... And don't you forget it!
Corona Man
Coach

Has liked: 1277 times
Been liked: 3476 times
Grassroots Team: Echunga

Postby woodublieve12 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:19 am

Booney wrote:Goddsy hasn't taken it particularly well, has he?

He mentioned they'd have been happy to replay the last quarter on Tuesday night, was he taking the piss there or what?

maybe if he wants it like the game he should be allowed to give themselves a 45 point lead and see if they can hold onto this time
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3023 times
Been liked: 2398 times

Postby Spargo » Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:24 am

Wubbsy “the flog” slips it into fourth gear... :lol:
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ
2024 champ, Spargo’s Good Friday Cup @ Ascot

I’ll wait for an angel, but I won’t hold my breath
‘Magine they’re busy, think I’m doin’ ok…
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5471 times
Been liked: 5114 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:25 am

If you're not cheating, you're not trying hard enough.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4344 times
Been liked: 7921 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL