2018 Grand Final - Norwood v North Adelaide

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: 2018 Grand Final - Norwood v North Adelaide

Postby therisingblues » Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:24 pm

jo172 wrote:
mighty hounds wrote:
Who cares about the AFL listed players, how about Jarrod Twitt kicking 1.6!!

Wasn't he on the Crows Rookie List that year? :lol:

Not unless you know something I don't.
I'm gonna sit back, crack the top off a Pale Ale, and watch the Double Blues prevail
1915, 1919, 1926, 1932, 1940, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1974, 1976, 2002, 2016, 2017
therisingblues
Coach

Has liked: 369 times
Been liked: 514 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby bulldogproud » Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:26 pm

JK wrote:Norwood 84’ was the only time mate, Port came from the Elim also in 98’ but finished minor round 4th

Not taking anything away from the great Norwood effort in 1984, but they were helped greatly by Alan Stringer and lack of discipline by our boys.
Stringer went the biff in the Qualifying Final between Glenelg and Central when Centrals led by 30 points. Our boys 'lost it' and we ended up having our whole halfback line rubbed out for the First Semi against Norwood (Jamie Thomas, Brett Hannam and STephen Nolan). We still only lost to Norwood by a few points, being less than a kick down in time-on of the last quarter.. Glenelg also lost Peter Carey for their Prelim Final against Norwood.
Cheers
A Bulldog in winter; a WTDCC Eagle and OICC Wolf in Summer!
bulldogproud
League - Top 5

Has liked: 489 times
Been liked: 401 times
Grassroots Team: Imperials

Postby mighty hounds » Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:32 pm

jo172 wrote:
mighty hounds wrote:

even if he was i don't remember him playing any games for the Crows
mighty hounds
Coach

Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 285 times

Postby therisingblues » Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:41 pm

bulldogproud wrote:
JK wrote:Norwood 84’ was the only time mate, Port came from the Elim also in 98’ but finished minor round 4th

Not taking anything away from the great Norwood effort in 1984, but they were helped greatly by Alan Stringer and lack of discipline by our boys.
Stringer went the biff in the Qualifying Final between Glenelg and Central when Centrals led by 30 points. Our boys 'lost it' and we ended up having our whole halfback line rubbed out for the First Semi against Norwood (Jamie Thomas, Brett Hannam and STephen Nolan). We still only lost to Norwood by a few points, being less than a kick down in time-on of the last quarter.. Glenelg also lost Peter Carey for their Prelim Final against Norwood.
Cheers

I was at the CD v Norwood SF in '84.
Amazing game! I remember a very large group of Norwood supporters came down our end in the 3rd Q, this one fella had a ghetto blaster, and played "Twisted Sister, We're Not Gonna Take It". Great experience to be amongst it all with an oversupply of teenage energy and rebellious rock and roll.
In the final Q, an equally large group of Dogs fans came down our end (always the Northern End, Sturt supporters do not look into the sun). After they went up by a couple of goals late in the Q, they went ballistic. I thought they'd won it. Then Norwood somehow struck back.
Amazing game, great memories.
I'm gonna sit back, crack the top off a Pale Ale, and watch the Double Blues prevail
1915, 1919, 1926, 1932, 1940, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1974, 1976, 2002, 2016, 2017
therisingblues
Coach

Has liked: 369 times
Been liked: 514 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby jo172 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:03 pm

therisingblues wrote:
jo172 wrote:
mighty hounds wrote:

Not unless you know something I don't.

He was certainly on it at one point.

Possibly 99
jo172
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1198 times
Been liked: 724 times

Postby JK » Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:09 pm

therisingblues wrote:
bulldogproud wrote:

Cheers

I was at the CD v Norwood SF in '84.
Amazing game! I remember a very large group of Norwood supporters came down our end in the 3rd Q, this one fella had a ghetto blaster, and played "Twisted Sister, We're Not Gonna Take It". Great experience to be amongst it all with an oversupply of teenage energy and rebellious rock and roll.
In the final Q, an equally large group of Dogs fans came down our end (always the Northern End, Sturt supporters do not look into the sun). After they went up by a couple of goals late in the Q, they went ballistic. I thought they'd won it. Then Norwood somehow struck back.
Amazing game, great memories.

Was a cracking game from our POV, geez we left it late .. When Connelly slotted the Dogs first and only goal into the wind for the day (around mid- last qtr IIRC) I thought we were cooked.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4438 times
Been liked: 2985 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Wedgie » Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:11 pm

I went to all the finals in 84 except the Grand Final, jumped back on the Norwood bandwagon for that finals series. Was an amazing few weeks!
I remember that in about round 7 that year North and Norwood played each other to decide who would be bottom at the time!
We were plagued by injuries but still managed to smash minor premiers Port by over 10 goals at Footy Park that year when Grenville took the best mark I'd ever seen. Got my hands on the ball when Grenville kicked his 100th at Elizabeth that year too.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2020 times
Been liked: 3862 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Pseudo » Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:12 pm

bulldogproud wrote:

Cheers

Reckon the luck of the draw helped 'em too. As Dave Warner wrote in Footy's Hall Of Shame, Norwood came up against "footy's greatest finals schmucks" in its first two games. Could make a similar argument about the Mudpies in 98; once they cleared Norwood in the 1st semi, the remaining field had minimal finals experience. Particularly Sturt after so many years in the wilderness.
Clowns OUT. Smears OUT. RESIST THE OCCUPATION.
Pseudo
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1553 times
Grassroots Team: Marion

Postby JK » Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:17 pm

Pseudo wrote:
bulldogproud wrote:

Cheers

Reckon the luck of the draw helped 'em too. As Dave Warner wrote in Footy's Hall Of Shame, Norwood came up against "footy's greatest finals schmucks" in its first two games. Could make a similar argument about the Mudpies in 98; once they cleared Norwood in the 1st semi, the remaining field had minimal finals experience. Particularly Sturt after so many years in the wilderness.

Think we won 13 of our last 14 games that season, or something like that, including wins over Port (a week after getting massacred at the Ponderosa) and the Bays, so took some decent scalps along the way. ‘Twas indeed a great year :D
FUSC
JK
Coach

Postby Wedgie » Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:23 pm

Pseudo wrote:
bulldogproud wrote:

Cheers

Similar in 91. As soon as West knocked out Port in the Elim Final I started celebrating North's flag.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby Spargo » Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:39 pm

We simply cost ourselves in ‘84
Finished equal top with Port at the end of the minor round but 1.17% behind
Played the bottom 2 sides in the last 2 rounds (Torrens & Woodville) yet could only win both games by 12 points
Port beat Sturt by 56 & Torrens by 76
That difference cost us the first week off
Add to that Peter Carey getting 2 weeks for attempting to strike in the Qualifying final & kicking 1.8 in the first qtr of the Prelim against Norwood & finishing with 11.23 - we only had ourselves to blame.
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ

Don’t lose your grip on the dreams of the past
You must fight just to keep them alive...
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5457 times
Been liked: 5089 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby Jim05 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:43 pm

JK wrote:
Pseudo wrote:
bulldogproud wrote:

Cheers

Think we won 13 of our last 14 games that season, or something like that, including wins over Port (a week after getting massacred at the Ponderosa) and the Bays, so took some decent scalps along the way. ‘Twas indeed a great year :D

Reckon we started the season 1-5 and 4 of the losses were about 10 goals IIRC.
I remember Centrals beat us by over 7 goals early in the season and about 15 goals later in the year.
The Bays kicked themselves out of the Prelim, 1.8 or 1.9? at 1/4 time
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3534 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby locky801 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:45 pm

anyway back to this weeks game ;)
You cant change your past but you can sure hell shape you future
locky801
Coach

Has liked: 3645 times
Been liked: 1160 times

Postby Jim05 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:58 pm

locky801 wrote:anyway back to this weeks game ;)

Us by 78
Jim05
Coach

Postby mal » Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:59 pm

PRESS RELEASE
Wednesday 19/9/2018

Article about the North Adelaide Grog Squad , working on some banners
Here is the statement made by a Grog Squad member
" There has been a buzz among fans, who had endured bottom 2 finishes by their club in each of the past 3 seasons
Weve been suffering for a few years now so this has been a long time coming."

NA no Premierships since 1991
This supporter looks like he has been to Jupiter and back waiting for a flag
mal
Coach

Has liked: 1138 times
Been liked: 892 times

Postby Wedgie » Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:04 pm

Jim05 wrote:

Us by 78

Spina out for North already but the big one is Thring, he's North's heart and soul.
I suspect he will play but he will be on one leg, the fact he missed the last 3 minor rounds with a calf and it was on Ice and he could hardly move late in the game suggests to me he won't be fit even if he does play. The only positive is 3 forwards have stepped up for North so far in the finals and Barns hasn't be one of those, if he has a day out anything could happen. If he, Ramsay, Hender and Harvey all fired them look out!
BUT the head says Norwood by about 6 or 7 goals for me, Grigg or Panos for the Jack Oatey.
Similar to 2013 we've already played our GF 3 times over.

I reckon Norwood will do the double and win the ressies by about 4 or 5 goals too despite losing the 2nd semi.

Hopefully North prove me wrong and they have a few times this year.

I know Adelaide Oval staff are stoked, it was the most feral day of the year last year when Sturt and the Powers reserves played off, I've never encountered anything like it and wouldn't wish it upon anyone!
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby JK » Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:15 pm

Jim05 wrote:

Us by 78

Obviously I'd take it, but can't see that on the cards at all.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Postby Wedgie » Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:20 pm

GRAND FINAL North Adelaide V Norwood

Sunday September 23, 3:00pm at Adelaide Oval

Mitch Harvey Alex Barns Robbie Young
Lewis Hender Keenan Ramsey Boyd Woodcock
Maris Olekalns Aidan Tropiano Jarred Allmond
Brock Castree Tanner Smith Connor Rozee
Callum Wilkie Cameron Craig Mitch Clisby
Ruck - Jordon Sweet, Tom Schwarz, Max Thring

Interchange - Matt McDonough, Sam McInerney, Dakota Nixon, Mackenzie Slee, Jake Wohling

In - Matt McDonough, Dakota Nixon, Mackenzie Slee

Out - Alex Spina (Collarbone)
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby Wedgie » Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:21 pm

Ryswyk playing reserves.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby Jim05 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:22 pm

JK wrote:
Jim05 wrote:

Us by 78

Obviously I'd take it, but can't see that on the cards at all.

It will be a blow out or we lose by under a goal IMO.
Jim05
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL