2019 AFL mid season draft

All discussions to do with the SANFL

2019 AFL mid season draft

Postby Wolf Pack » Thu Oct 04, 2018 5:32 pm

So, from next year there is an AFL mid season draft. Teams can take SANFL players mid year.
Essentially, SANFL top players from the real clubs could end up playing for the Crows or Port SANFL teams mid year.

In theory, the SANFL could lose a dozen or so of its best players mid year.
Another nail in the coffin for the competition......... :(
Wolf Pack
Under 16s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 31 times
Grassroots Team: Flinders Park

Re: 2019 AFL mid season draft

Postby Tiger83 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 5:41 pm

Wolf Pack wrote:So, from next year there is an AFL mid season draft. Teams can take SANFL players mid year.
Essentially, SANFL top players from the real clubs could end up playing for the Crows or Port SANFL teams mid year.

From my understanding the ‘mid season draft’ is actually open from Dec to March so isn’t exactly the middle of the year, but any SANFL clubs will still be
a little disadvantaged just before the season starts..
Tiger83
Under 18s

Has liked: 48 times
Been liked: 20 times

Postby Wedgie » Thu Oct 04, 2018 5:45 pm

Tiger83 wrote:
Wolf Pack wrote:So, from next year there is an AFL mid season draft. Teams can take SANFL players mid year.

From my understanding the ‘mid season draft’ is actually open from Dec to March so isn’t exactly the middle of the year, but any SANFL clubs will still be

Nup, it is mid season.
AFL clubs will be able to rookie draft players from December to March AND also midseason.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2020 times
Been liked: 3862 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Tiger83 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 5:57 pm

Wedgie wrote:
Tiger83 wrote:

Nup, it is mid season.
AFL clubs will be able to rookie draft players from December to March AND also midseason.

Rightio, I stand corrected then. As much as it sucks for the SANFL Clubs, I would never begrudge any player that takes up the offer of an AFL club. It’s every clubs job to develop players and have them get the best out of themselves. If things don’t work out, hopefully the environment of the SANFL club ensures they return to them. So I don’t mind the idea
Tiger83
Under 18s

Has liked: 48 times
Been liked: 20 times

Postby Jim05 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:04 pm

State league clubs should be recompensed appropriately by the AFL. If you want someone halfway through the season then something like $50k each is more than fair
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3534 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby Wedgie » Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:08 pm

Imagine if this year the Crows were 6th in the SANFL and Norwood were 5th and the Crows rookie listed Grigg and played him in their SANFL side for the rest of the year.
It's opening up the opportunity to further compromise an already over compromised comp.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2020 times
Been liked: 3862 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Jim05 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:56 pm

Jim05
Coach

Postby JK » Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:32 pm

Tiger83 wrote:
Wedgie wrote:
Tiger83 wrote:

Nup, it is mid season.

Rightio, I stand corrected then. As much as it sucks for the SANFL Clubs, I would never begrudge any player that takes up the offer of an AFL club. It’s every clubs job to develop players and have them get the best out of themselves. If things don’t work out, hopefully the environment of the SANFL club ensures they return to them. So I don’t mind the idea

Tired of this attitude .. Responsibility to develop players in preparedness to play at the highest level they can? For sure, but NOT at the expense of the club. Between seasons no drama. Putting 1 or 2 individuals ahead of the club will kill the club eventually - How long will people continue parting with their hard earned through membership, sponsorship or attendance when their reward for the club doing the right thing in development could destroy its entire season?
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4438 times
Been liked: 2984 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby beef » Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:38 pm

Be lucky if 2 or 3 sanfl players got drafted in a year. Hardly destroying the whole league. Feeder league so just keep feeding players to the afl. Reckon the player could say no if against going.
beef
League - Best 21

Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 253 times

Postby Dogs64 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:54 pm

beef wrote:Be lucky if 2 or 3 sanfl players got drafted in a year. Hardly destroying the whole league. Feeder league so just keep feeding players to the afl. Reckon the player could say no if against going.

One player could cripple a clubs season. Its another nail in the sanfl coffin. Disgusting attitude by the afl. Whats the sanfl come out and said in defence of "our" competition?
Dogs64
Under 16s

Has liked: 309 times
Been liked: 177 times

Postby Jim05 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:01 pm

Dogs64 wrote:
beef wrote:Be lucky if 2 or 3 sanfl players got drafted in a year. Hardly destroying the whole league. Feeder league so just keep feeding players to the afl. Reckon the player could say no if against going.

One player could cripple a clubs season. Its another nail in the sanfl coffin. Disgusting attitude by the afl. Whats the sanfl come out and said in defence of "our" competition?

The SANFL has released a statement but I’d bet it’s ignored
Jim05
Coach

Postby FlyingHigh » Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:03 pm

A North premiership won when Grigg was drafted mid-season would be far more compromised and lacking integrity that what happened with the 19th man.
But trying explaining that to the AFL nuffies.
FlyingHigh
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 81 times
Been liked: 173 times

Postby Pseudo » Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:32 pm

JK wrote:Tired of this attitude .. Responsibility to develop players in preparedness to play at the highest level they can? For sure, but NOT at the expense of the club. Between seasons no drama. Putting 1 or 2 individuals ahead of the club will kill the club eventually - How long will people continue parting with their hard earned through membership, sponsorship or attendance when their reward for the club doing the right thing in development could destroy its entire season?

Well put JK.
Clowns OUT. Smears OUT. RESIST THE OCCUPATION.
Pseudo
Coach

Been liked: 1553 times
Grassroots Team: Marion

Postby gadj1976 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:59 pm

Some players will enjoy the opportunity to go. Some play SANFL to be able to be drafted but can't or are overlooked for various reasons. This isn't the death knell for the SANFL IMO, I actually think it might keep some people in the SANFL on the off chance they play a good 8 games and get picked up (ie, ruckman, defenders).

The SANFL has many dimensions to it, one of them being players that want to play AFL. To lose some players to the AFL isn't the be all and end all.
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 795 times
Been liked: 849 times

Postby Dogs64 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:30 pm

gadj1976 wrote:

Some players will enjoy the opportunity to go. Some play SANFL to be able to be drafted but can't or are overlooked for various reasons. This isn't the death knell for the SANFL IMO, I actually think it might keep some people in the SANFL on the off chance they play a good 8 games and get picked up (ie, ruckman, defenders).

The SANFL has many dimensions to it, one of them being players that want to play AFL. To lose some players to the AFL isn't the be all and end all.

I reckon Sturt would have at least one less premiership without Kirkwood.
Dogs64
Under 16s

Has liked: 309 times
Been liked: 177 times

Postby daysofourlives » Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:32 pm

Why is this not in the whinge thread it is clearly effecting our ability to push on towards Lara
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2415 times
Been liked: 1657 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby gadj1976 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:41 pm

Dogs64 wrote:
gadj1976 wrote:

I reckon Sturt would have at least one less premiership without Kirkwood.

All hypotheticals.
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 795 times
Been liked: 849 times

Postby Hopeful Jelly » Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:55 pm

Serious question - is there any other professional sport that currently has a mid-season draft?

I can think of a lot of sports that have trade/transfer windows, but not an actual draft.
Hopeful Jelly
Under 16s

Been liked: 11 times

Postby Groucho » Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:26 pm

Wow! What a strong response from the S.A.N.F.L to the mid season AFL draft. They have sent the AFL a letter. Man, that should really put them in their place. :roll:

Why am I underwhelmed. Olsen et al bend over once again. :evil:
Groucho
Under 18s

Has liked: 106 times
Been liked: 160 times

Postby Groucho » Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:31 pm

JK wrote:

I would hope that Centrals raison d'etre is to win Premierships and NOT to develop players for the AFL. And with our past record anyone drafted will play for Sturt, Norwood or Eagles if they return. They don't come back to Centrals. ](*,)
Groucho
Under 18s

Has liked: 106 times
Been liked: 160 times

Next

Board index   Football  SANFL