2019 AFL mid season draft

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: 2019 AFL mid season draft

Postby Locky » Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:44 am

Groucho wrote:Wow! What a strong response from the S.A.N.F.L to the mid season AFL draft. They have sent the AFL a letter. Man, that should really put them in their place. :roll:

Why am I underwhelmed. Olsen et al bend over once again. :evil:

Credit where credit is due. Good work by the SANFL to get a statement out quickly. Seemed a good response to me.
Locky

Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 7 times

Postby robranisgod » Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:08 am

Remember the mid season draft of about 25 years ago. In 1994 Central lost Tony Lynn mid season to Carlton. Given that Central finished third it may have cost Central a Grand Final berth.
On the other hand Rod Saunders and Peter Bennett from North were drafted by Essendon and Brisbane respectively in the 1991 mid season draft. They didn't go and played in North's 1991 premiership. Other SANFL players stayed at that time too. I doubt that anyone would stay in the SANFL now.
robranisgod
League - Best 21

Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 224 times
Grassroots Team: Flinders University

Postby Booney » Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:21 am

Would also think there's very little chance of an AFL side looking at taking a half back flanker mid season, most AFL lists have "extra" smalls to bring through so it's more than likely going to be a KPP, ruckman or inside mid, the types of players AFL clubs spend their most money on thus having less on their list.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby darley16 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:47 am

Don't just sit there typing concerns on this site, DO SOMETHING! Today i emailed my club and advised them with great sadness my financial support has been withdrawn, it's not the fault of my club or the SANFL however this greed of the AFL destroys the last vestige of integrity and relevance for our 140+ year competition. Contact your club, let your club know your thoughts, at least put up some sort of fight!!
darley16
Under 18s

Has liked: 232 times
Been liked: 58 times

Postby amber_fluid » Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:52 am

Booney wrote:Would also think there's very little chance of an AFL side looking at taking a half back flanker mid season, most AFL lists have "extra" smalls to bring through so it's more than likely going to be a KPP, ruckman or inside mid, the types of players AFL clubs spend their most money on thus having less on their list.

Losing a KPP or ruckman in any side has more impact than losing a HBF as you said.
Imagine losing your ruckman or CHB mid season, that would impact your team dramatically.
Injuries can’t be prevented but mid season drafts can.

Keep it as it is I say.
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2217 times
Been liked: 2508 times

Postby am Bays » Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:54 am

Can't the other 16 VFL clubs just keep raiding the Gold Coast and GWS like they currently do for their top ups??
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 1804 times

Postby StrayDog » Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:11 am

Locky wrote:
Groucho wrote:Wow! What a strong response from the S.A.N.F.L to the mid season AFL draft. They have sent the AFL a letter. Man, that should really put them in their place. :roll:

Why am I underwhelmed. Olsen et al bend over once again. :evil:

Credit where credit is due. Good work by the SANFL to get a statement out quickly. Seemed a good response to me.

Agreed, and I'm no Jake Parkinson fan by any means.

Groucho wrote:
JK wrote:
Rightio, I stand corrected then. As much as it sucks for the SANFL Clubs, I would never begrudge any player that takes up the offer of an AFL club. It’s every clubs job to develop players and have them get the best out of themselves. If things don’t work out, hopefully the environment of the SANFL club ensures they return to them. So I don’t mind the idea

No, JK didn't.
"— here I opened wide the door; —
Darkness there, and nothing more."

- Edgar Allan Poe from " The Raven "

StrayDog
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 1132 times
Been liked: 192 times

Postby StrayDog » Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:19 am

Booney wrote:Would also think there's very little chance of an AFL side looking at taking a half back flanker mid season, most AFL lists have "extra" smalls to bring through so it's more than likely going to be a KPP, ruckman or inside mid, the types of players AFL clubs spend their most money on thus having less on their list.

Pretty fair call.

StrayDog
League Bench Warmer

Postby stan » Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:27 pm

StrayDog wrote:

Pretty fair call.
So basically if your going to get screwed it's going to be nice and big?
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1253 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby Booney » Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:32 pm

Whilst not exactly the same there are SAAFL clubs who feed players to SANFL clubs and they've dealt with it for years.

Devils advocate here, I don't like the prospect of SANFL players leaving mid-year but clubs below the SANFL have dealt with it for years.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby JK » Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:02 pm

They’ve also dealt with injuries and retirements too, maybe the AFL could sort that out for themselves rather than making it a problem for every other level of footy?
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4440 times
Been liked: 2985 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby beef » Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:11 pm

Booney wrote:Whilst not exactly the same there are SAAFL clubs who feed players to SANFL clubs and they've dealt with it for years.

Devils advocate here, I don't like the prospect of SANFL players leaving mid-year but clubs below the SANFL have dealt with it for years.

Slight difference though, if home club has a big game or needs to qualify for finals, players were released back and a different top-up was selected. My experience was communication between crows and SAAFL club was excellent to allow SAAFL club wasn't too impacted
beef
League - Best 21

Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 253 times

Postby StrayDog » Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:20 pm

stan wrote:
StrayDog wrote:

Pretty fair call.
So basically if your going to get screwed it's going to be nice and big?

Just to clarify, I was endorsing Booney's well thought-out prediction of a possible outcome, not necessarily the outcome itself.

I'm not comfortable with players leaving mid season, and I don't agree with the mid-season draft, but wouldn't blame clubs or players from maximising their short or long term goals if that option were available to them.

Neither, more importantly, would I blame a club (at any level) from kicking up a right royal stink if it left them with critical shortages that they might not have planned for, naively or otherwise.

From the summer off season training right through to the final siren of the year, from an SANFL on-field perspective, the SANFL Premiership should be the main focus of all involved - from supporters, volunteers, players, right through to the top level of club management. (FWIW, this has been my biggest gripe against the current AFL club involvement, but I digress.)

Fair guess that communication with between players and clubs, specifically about mid-season intentions, would come under scrutiny more than ever before.
Last edited by StrayDog on Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

StrayDog
League Bench Warmer

Postby StrayDog » Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:21 pm

Booney wrote:Whilst not exactly the same there are SAAFL clubs who feed players to SANFL clubs and they've dealt with it for years.

I think Jason Sutherland might have been a case in point going back a few years, seem to remember he was contracted with Berri and debuted for us late in the season ended with an SANFL Premiership medallion. :?:

NB: I can't remember sure how much it affected his country club at the time, so happy for fellow 'Dogs fans to rip me a new one on this point regarding its relevance.

A generation ago and a different era I realise, but I can recall the gut-wrenching frustration and anger at losing Tony Lynn to Carlton mid season that year.
Last edited by StrayDog on Sat Oct 06, 2018 2:34 am, edited 2 times in total.

StrayDog
League Bench Warmer

Postby StrayDog » Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:22 pm

I mentioned before importance of communication. The Tweet quoted below leaves me feeling a tad uneasy, seems that not everyone is listening:-

Jim05 wrote:https://twitter.com/integrityunit/status/1047762715731607553?s=21

StrayDog
League Bench Warmer

Postby Booney » Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:41 pm

StrayDog wrote:

I think Jason Sutherland might have been a case in point going back a few years, seem to remember he was contracted with Berri and debuted for us late in the season ended with an SANFL Premiership medallion. :?:

NB: I can't remember sure how much it affected his country club at the time, so happy for fellow 'Dogs fans to rip me a new one on this point regarding its relevance.

A generation ago and a different era I realise, but I can recall the gut-wrenching frustration and anger at losing Tony Lynn to Carlton mid season one year.

This, did anyone at the time cry bloody murder on behalf of Berri? I would doubt it, they would have been thrilled for the bloke to get an opportunity at a higher level.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby cennals05 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:41 pm

Booney wrote:
StrayDog wrote:

A generation ago and a different era I realise, but I can recall the gut-wrenching frustration and anger at losing Tony Lynn to Carlton mid season one year.

This, did anyone at the time cry bloody murder on behalf of Berri? I would doubt it, they would have been thrilled for the bloke to get an opportunity at a higher level.

I believe Centrals worked closely with Berri on the situation and pretty sure Sutherland played in both the Berri flag and Centrals flag that year (2010).
cennals05
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 146 times
Been liked: 248 times

Postby Dogs64 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:51 pm

Booney wrote:
StrayDog wrote:

As mentioned, he also played in a premiership for Berri that year, the two clubs worked together.
Dogs64
Under 16s

Has liked: 309 times
Been liked: 177 times

Postby DOC » Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:12 pm

StrayDog wrote:I mentioned before importance of communication. The Tweet quoted below leaves me feeling a tad uneasy, seems that not everyone is listening:-

Jim05 wrote:https://twitter.com/integrityunit/status/1047762715731607553?s=21

That is not a real tweet from the AFL.
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 723 times
Been liked: 2076 times

Postby northerner » Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:44 pm

robranisgod wrote:Remember the mid season draft of about 25 years ago. In 1994 Central lost Tony Lynn mid season to Carlton. Given that Central finished third it may have cost Central a Grand Final berth.
On the other hand Rod Saunders and Peter Bennett from North were drafted by Essendon and Brisbane respectively in the 1991 mid season draft. They didn't go and played in North's 1991 premiership. Other SANFL players stayed at that time too. I doubt that anyone would stay in the SANFL now.

Man, you did well to recall that time... I was discussing this with a fellow Doggie supporter this morning. The addendum to that is what would Lynn say about this NOW in retrospect? He was a gun in a good comp with a good team. He went to Carlton and played a handful of games over 15 months and then drifted away from top tier footy altogether.
Now, a player who gets selected in this draft is unlikely to play AFL in the remainder of the season and faces the real possibility of being delisted just three months later. In the interim he has likely uprooted from his home and quit his job.... all for naught. And he really doesn't get a say because he knows if he doesn't accept he blackbans himself.
This idea has little thought to the second tier compass AND the individual player.
northerner
Reserves

Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 429 times
Grassroots Team: Eastern Park

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL