AFL 2019 season

Talk on the national game

Re: AFL 2019 and proposed rule changes

Postby daysofourlives » Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:33 pm

tigerpie wrote:
LMA wrote:With a 9m goal square the best torps reach as far as the centre, I don't think an extra 9m will get it to the forward 50 somehow :shock:[/quote)

I give you the SCG with a decent wind.

Ok in the unlikely event we have a 150km/hr breeze that transcends the grandstands and they make it to the F50 with a kick out, what would be wrong with that?
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2415 times
Been liked: 1657 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby LMA » Sat Sep 15, 2018 3:25 pm

OK I've done some analysis and found to reach the forward 50 from the top of the 18m goal square a player would need to barrel it :

SCG - 87m
Gabba - 88m
MCG - 93m
Optus - 97m
AO - 99m
GMBHA - 102m
UTAS - 107m

FFS bring on the footy :)
LMA
Coach

Has liked: 387 times
Been liked: 714 times
Grassroots Team: Port District

Postby tigerpie » Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:43 pm

daysofourlives wrote:
tigerpie wrote:
LMA wrote:With a 9m goal square the best torps reach as far as the centre, I don't think an extra 9m will get it to the forward 50 somehow :shock:[/quote)

I give you the SCG with a decent wind.

Ok in the unlikely event we have a 150km/hr breeze that transcends the grandstands and they make it to the F50 with a kick out, what would be wrong with that?

Its another stupid, needless change to the game!
Just stop already
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 498 times
Been liked: 429 times

Postby whufc » Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:09 pm

bennymacca wrote:
mighty_tiger_79 wrote: All it does is move the zone out another 10m. Then the scrum is in the middle of the ground.

That’s exactly the point. Much harder to zone across the widest part of the ground

Nope instead of 6/8 men zones they become 10/11/12 man zones
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5565 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

AFL 2019 and proposed rule changes

Postby bennymacca » Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:08 pm

whufc wrote:
bennymacca wrote:
mighty_tiger_79 wrote: All it does is move the zone out another 10m. Then the scrum is in the middle of the ground.

That’s exactly the point. Much harder to zone across the widest part of the ground

When was the last time there was a 6/8 man zone? 1997?

Anything less than 12 would be rare

What it does is force them to defend more space per player
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby whufc » Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:43 pm

bennymacca wrote:
whufc wrote:
bennymacca wrote:

When was the last time there was a 6/8 man zone? 1997?

Anything less than 12 would be rare

What it does is force them to defend more space per player

What ever the exact numbers are teams will use a couple more to congest the extra space.

We will go back to see the massive floods.

Remembering it will take longer for the players to take the kick in giving teams more time to congest.

You can just see it now teams will continue to give up the sidewards kicks completely and just look to congest the second kick with a cut down angle.
whufc
Coach

Postby Jim05 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:08 pm

Up to 12 Thursday night games planned for 2019
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3534 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby Booney » Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:11 pm

Jim05 wrote:Up to 12 Thursday night games planned for 2019

Booney wrote:Footy Classified Monday night, talking about Thursday night football, Chris Judd with a wry grin on his face says :

"The only thing better than Friday night football is Thursday night football. An old team mate of mine, Ben Cousins used to say that. I guess it means different things to different people".

:lol:

Even in the perilous state Cousins is now in, I still find this terribly entertaining.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:24 pm

I hate Thursday night footy
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11805 times
Been liked: 3582 times

Postby DOC » Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:04 am

THE AFL will make a change to its kick-out rules next year but will not increase its goalsquare to 18 metres.

The Herald Sun understands that instead of radical changes that were proposed mid-year the league will instead make a number of tweaks to arrest the low-scoring football of the past five seasons.

At one stage this year the league seemed likely to bring in an 18 metre goalsquare and a rigid zones format across all stoppages.

But after a surge in scoring in the second half of the season and more attractive football the league has pulled back from that scenario.

It is understood instead of the 18 metre goalsquare there will be another alteration that will allow teams to play on more quickly and kick the ball deeper into attack.

The league trialled the 18m goalsquare in a series of VFL game but it has not drawn popular support.

Potentially players may be able to play on more easily or the man on the mark might be forced further back to ensure a team defending goals can pump the ball into the mid-part of the ground.

The league’s research found this year that a team was twice as likely to score from defending a kick-in than taking the ball end-to-end.

The league is set to announce its rule changes regarding eight key areas of football this afternoon.

The 6-6-6 centre square formation will mean teams must have six players inside each arc at a centre bounce, potentially with one player from each team in each goalsquare.

It will make the wingmen some of the most critical players in the league because they will have acres to move in as the ball bounces their way at a centre bounce.

The areas of concern for the AFL include marking contests, deliberate out of bounds, ruck contests, holding the ball and runners.

Alex Woodward’s runner controversy, where he got in the way of a Collingwood players as Elliot Yeo kicked a key goal in the Grand Final, would be impossible next year.

The league is likely to crack down on runners being on the ground during play, handed only 45 seconds after goals to quickly deliver a message then get off the ground.

The AFL Commission has ticked off on a series of tweaks and interpretation changes rather than a massive overhaul.

The AFL believes the rules as written in their rule book can help save the game rather than altering them.

For instance the AFL’s umpires are likely to be stricter around the holding the ball rule when a player has had prior opportunity.

Rather than introducing a team prior opportunity rule or abolishing it as Nathan Buckley has suggested, they will police it more firmly.

If a player has had prior opportunity he must dispose of the ball legally rather than many of the half-hearted attempts that currently take place.
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 723 times
Been liked: 2076 times

Postby woodublieve12 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:05 am

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:I hate Thursday night footy

i hate rule changes
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3016 times
Been liked: 2384 times

Postby The Bedge » Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:48 pm

DOC wrote:It is understood instead of the 18 metre goalsquare there will be another alteration that will allow teams to play on more quickly and kick the ball deeper into attack..

If they want to make it quicker, couldn't they just make it a player can play on straight away from the goal square instead of having to kick to himself?
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3188 times
Been liked: 3989 times

Postby whufc » Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:50 pm

The Bedge wrote:
DOC wrote:It is understood instead of the 18 metre goalsquare there will be another alteration that will allow teams to play on more quickly and kick the ball deeper into attack..

If they want to make it quicker, couldn't they just make it a player can play on straight away from the goal square instead of having to kick to himself?

Come on mate stop simplyfing things with common sense.
whufc
Coach

Postby Booney » Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:40 pm

9 rule changes :

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-10-11/n ... s-for-2019

Traditional playing positions at centre bounces

Clubs must have six players inside both 50m arcs, with one player inside the goalsquare.
Four midfield players must start inside the centre square with the two wingmen stationed along the wing.

Kick-ins

At kick-ins, a player will no longer need to kick to himself to play on from the goalsquare.
Following a behind, the man on the mark will be brought out to 10m from the top of the goalsquare, rather than the existing five metres.

Marks and free kicks in defence

When defenders mark or receive a free kick within nine metres of their own goal, the man on the mark will be brought in line with the top of the goalsquare.

Runners and water carriers

Team runners may only enter the playing surface after a goal has been kicked and must exit before play restarts.
Water carriers are not permitted to enter the playing surface during live play.

Umpire contact

Players will be prohibited from setting up behind the umpire at centre bounces.

50m penalties

The player with the ball:
Must be allowed to advance the mark by 50m without the infringing player delaying the game.
Will be able to play on while the 50m penalty is being measured out.

Kicking for goal after the siren

A player who has been awarded a mark or free kick once play has ended:
Will now be able to kick across their body using a snap or check-side kick
BUT must kick the ball directly in line with the man on the mark and the goal.

Marking contests

The 'hands in the back’ rule interpretation has been repealed so a player can now:
Place his hands on the back of his opponent to protect his position in a marking contest
PROVIDED he does not push his opponent in the back.

Ruck contests: prior opportunity

A ruckman who takes direct possession of the ball from a bounce, throw-up or boundary throw-in will no longer be regarded as having had prior opportunity.
Where there is uncertainty over who is the designated ruckman, the ruckman for each team will still be required to nominate to the field umpire.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby BZB27 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:40 pm

whufc wrote:
The Bedge wrote:

Come on mate stop simplyfing things with common sense.

Well that is exactly the rule now. Plus the man of the mark has to be 10 metres away from the top of the square
BZB27
League - Best 21

Has liked: 216 times
Been liked: 173 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby Senor Moto Gadili » Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:54 pm

So, no change to ruckmen having to nominate.
Senor Moto Gadili
Veteran

Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 532 times

Postby Zelezny Chucks » Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:58 pm

Senor Moto Gadili wrote:So, no change to ruckmen having to nominate.

But not if they are certain they are the ruckman...

To be fair most might not know.
Zelezny Chucks
League - Best 21

Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 66 times
Grassroots Team: Morphett Vale

Postby valleys07 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:33 pm

The Bedge wrote:

Can this filter into the lower grades? Specifically C5 of the AdFL? ;)

Wouldn't mind having a gallop out of the square without the worry of fumbling the kick :lol:
“Think of me like Yoda, but instead of being little and green I wear suits and I'm awesome. I'm your bro—I'm Broda!”

HOGG Shield 2015 Division I Premiers.
HOGG Shield 2017 Premier League Premiers.
valleys07
Coach

Has liked: 767 times
Been liked: 1168 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby The Bedge » Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:36 pm

valleys07 wrote:Wouldn't mind having a gallop out of the square without the worry of fumbling the kick :lol:

I did that this year against Pulteney - went to kick to myself quickly, kicked little higher than intended, wind took it, fumbled grabbing, by the time I regathered got smashed and done HTB :oops: :lol:

Not my finest moment haha!
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3188 times
Been liked: 3989 times

Postby valleys07 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:41 pm

The Bedge wrote:
valleys07 wrote:Wouldn't mind having a gallop out of the square without the worry of fumbling the kick :lol:

I did that this year against Pulteney - went to kick to myself quickly, kicked little higher than intended, wind took it, fumbled grabbing, by the time I regathered got smashed and done HTB :oops: :lol:

Not my finest moment haha!

Meh.

With the amount of points you blokes conceded, 1 fumble amongst 200+ kick outs is still a great strike rate :lol:
“Think of me like Yoda, but instead of being little and green I wear suits and I'm awesome. I'm your bro—I'm Broda!”

HOGG Shield 2015 Division I Premiers.
HOGG Shield 2017 Premier League Premiers.
valleys07
Coach

Has liked: 767 times
Been liked: 1168 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL