Trade + Draft Period 2018

Talk on the national game

Re: Trade + Draft Period 2018

Postby beef » Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:58 am

woodublieve12 wrote:i didn't write this, its from a swans group... After initially being frustrated and then thinking we don't need any big fish yet, considering our list is still decent.

-----------------------

Okay, I was very critical of how our trade period has gone, but the events of the past hour have slightly changed that in regards to drafting Blakey.
Essendon, North Melbourne and Brisbane were our biggest threats to getting Blakey. Essendon and North have no first rounders, with the later having Tarryn Thomas and Bailey Scott to get. Brisbane have Pick 18 due to the Beams deal.
With a bit of luck, Blakey could fall to 18 and have Brisbane select him. 985 points is what that pick is worth, with only 788 points required after the 20% discount.
Our picks are 26,33,38,39,40 and 88. 39 and 40 will be enough to get him, but we also keep 26,33 and 38 to use in the draft. Now, I'm not saying this is a certainty but depending how things go we may have pulled off a gamble.
Clarke and Thurlow could prove to be astute acquisitions, but I think given what had been said by Longmire, this trade period has been a bit of a let-down in regards to targetted players.

Zero chance of no club bidding on Blakey before 18. Wouldn't be surprised for StK to bid on him at 4. Swans fans are so greedy, get Heeney and Mills for free basically and still want more. Can't wait for Carlton's academy picks, oh wait
beef
League - Best 21

Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 255 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:59 am

woodublieve12 wrote:i didn't write this, its from a swans group (below the line)... After initially being frustrated and then thinking we don't need any big fish yet, considering our list is still decent.
Next year though with more salary cap space freed up by us (McVeigh, Grundy and maybe Jack), there are plenty of names coming off contract to potentially have a go at getting.

In saying that, I still do think that this trade period could have been better for us than it has turned out.

-----------------------

Okay, I was very critical of how our trade period has gone, but the events of the past hour have slightly changed that in regards to drafting Blakey.
Essendon, North Melbourne and Brisbane were our biggest threats to getting Blakey. Essendon and North have no first rounders, with the later having Tarryn Thomas and Bailey Scott to get. Brisbane have Pick 18 due to the Beams deal.
With a bit of luck, Blakey could fall to 18 and have Brisbane select him. 985 points is what that pick is worth, with only 788 points required after the 20% discount.
Our picks are 26,33,38,39,40 and 88. 39 and 40 will be enough to get him, but we also keep 26,33 and 38 to use in the draft. Now, I'm not saying this is a certainty but depending how things go we may have pulled off a gamble.
Clarke and Thurlow could prove to be astute acquisitions, but I think given what had been said by Longmire, this trade period has been a bit of a let-down in regards to targetted players.

Swans to miss the finals for the first time in a long time next season, had to happen sooner or later.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4344 times
Been liked: 7921 times

Postby woodublieve12 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:02 am

beef wrote:
woodublieve12 wrote:i didn't write this, its from a swans group... After initially being frustrated and then thinking we don't need any big fish yet, considering our list is still decent.

-----------------------

Zero chance of no club bidding on Blakey before 18. Wouldn't be surprised for StK to bid on him at 4. Swans fans are so greedy, get Heeney and Mills for free basically and still want more. Can't wait for Carlton's academy picks, oh wait

Yeah how greedy of us doing all the developing of a player and still have to give up a bit to get them... He'll be a swan and rightly so...
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3025 times
Been liked: 2401 times

Postby woodublieve12 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:05 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:
woodublieve12 wrote:i didn't write this, its from a swans group (below the line)... After initially being frustrated and then thinking we don't need any big fish yet, considering our list is still decent.
Next year though with more salary cap space freed up by us (McVeigh, Grundy and maybe Jack), there are plenty of names coming off contract to potentially have a go at getting.

In saying that, I still do think that this trade period could have been better for us than it has turned out.

-----------------------

Swans to miss the finals for the first time in a long time next season, had to happen sooner or later.

we'll play finals... Not in doubt. The injuries this year couldn;t even stop us, we beat everyone in the 8 except the tigers.
Our list is still good. Got rid of some dead weight in Rohan, Hannebery (love the guy but he won't be like he was again) and Newman.

I am not saying we will win the flag, but their is zero chance we'll miss finals...
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3025 times
Been liked: 2401 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:18 am

woodublieve12 wrote:
we'll play finals... Not in doubt. The injuries this year couldn;t even stop us, we beat everyone in the 8 except the tigers.
Our list is still good. Got rid of some dead weight in Rohan, Hannebery (love the guy but he won't be like he was again) and Newman.

I am not saying we will win the flag, but their is zero chance we'll miss finals...

You lost to the Suns at home, your list is ageing, you haven't added anything to it, you have one forward that is too heavily relied on and a slow midfield.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Spargo » Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:20 am

woodublieve12 wrote:
beef wrote:

-----------------------

Yeah how greedy of us doing all the developing of a player and still have to give up a bit to get them... He'll be a swan and rightly so...

Laughable that under AFL rules an academy recruit supersedes the father/son rule.
Another loophole that favours Sydney...
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ
2024 champ, Spargo’s Good Friday Cup @ Ascot

I’ll wait for an angel, but I won’t hold my breath
‘Magine they’re busy, think I’m doin’ ok…
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5478 times
Been liked: 5119 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby Booney » Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:24 am

locky801 wrote:
Booney wrote:Lions will be thrilled with Beams' Insta comments.

what he say

Just said that Collingwood were always the club he had in his heart, that he was always a Collingwood person.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7492 times
Been liked: 10774 times

Postby Booney » Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:25 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:Everyone got to where they wanted except for Tim Kelly.

Usually when a player asks for a trade on compassionate grounds the two clubs involved make it happen one way or another. Beams, twice now, and I'm ok with that.

Makes me wonder if Kelly was prepared to go to Fremantle would a deal have been done there?
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:25 am

Who were the winners and losers??

Brisbane and Freo done alright apart from the obvious, the Dons landed their big fish and Carlton will bring themselves a little closer to the pack.

As frustrating as Pittard has been for Port, at least he does get in there and get the ball, his disposal has been deplorable at times, if he could improve that tenfold he'd be a handy rebounding defender, I used to almost throw my stubbie at the TV when I'd see him about to kick in from a point.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Booney » Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:27 am

Essendon were the big winners with Port last year and neither played finals so....
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:30 am

Booney wrote:

Usually when a player asks for a trade on compassionate grounds the two clubs involved make it happen one way or another. Beams, twice now, and I'm ok with that.

Makes me wonder if Kelly was prepared to go to Fremantle would a deal have been done there?

Makes me wonder what type of bloke he is, it would seem unlikely for Geelong to put a block on someone wanting to return home, I can't remember who but I reckon they've had a couple of decent players in this category and have been successful in their pursuit.

Could also be that Geelong well and truly have their window open.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby goddy11 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:31 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:Who were the winners and losers??

Brisbane and Freo done alright apart from the obvious, the Dons landed their big fish and Carlton will bring themselves a little closer to the pack.

As frustrating as Pittard has been for Port, at least he does get in there and get the ball, his disposal has been deplorable at times, if he could improve that tenfold he'd be a handy rebounding defender, I used to almost throw my stubbie at the TV when I'd see him about to kick in from a point.

I think PA would be over the moon with how they have done. Lost a couple of good players and picked up a couple but have placed themselves well in the draft. JC is a good negotiator.
How are they placed to pick up F/S and NGA players. Not too many points left at the lower end of their pick. Maybe hoping they slide to rookie.
goddy11
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 564 times
Been liked: 211 times
Grassroots Team: Myponga-Sellicks

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:32 am

Booney wrote:Essendon were the big winners with Port last year and neither played finals so....

I was sceptical about Port's additions last year, Rockliff was the only one I was excited about and we didn't use him to his strength.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:36 am

FIRST ROUND

Pick 1: Carlton

Pick 2: Gold Coast

Pick 3: Gold Coast (received as compensation for Tom Lynch)

Pick 4: St Kilda

Pick 5: Port Adelaide (received off Brisbane)

Pick 6: Gold Coast (received off Melbourne, via on-trades)

Pick 7: Western Bulldogs

Pick 8: Adelaide

Pick 9: Greater Western Sydney (received off Essendon, via on-trades)

Pick 10: Port Adelaide

Pick 11: Greater Western Sydney (received off Fremantle, via on-trades)

Pick 12: Geelong

Pick 13: Adelaide (received off Sydney, via on-trades)

Pick 14: Fremantle (received off Fremantle)

Pick 15: Port Adelaide (received off Hawthorn)

Pick 16: Adelaide (received off Melbourne in 2017)

Pick 17: Richmond

Pick 18: Brisbane (received off Collingwood)

Pick 19: Greater Western Sydney (received off Fremantle, via on-trades)

END OF ROUND ONE

Pick 20: West Coast (received as compensation for Scott Lycett)

SECOND ROUND

Pick 21: Adelaide (received off Carlton in 2017)

Pick 22: West Coast (received off Gold Coast in 2017)

Pick 23: Melbourne (received off Fremantle, via on-trades)

Pick 24: Gold Coast (received off Brisbane)

Pick 25: Greater Western Sydney (received off Fremantle in 2017)

Pick 26: Sydney (received off Carlton, via on-trades)

Pick 27: Western Bulldogs (received as compensation for Luke Dahlhaus)

Pick 28: Melbourne (received off St Kilda, via on-trades)

Pick 29: Gold Coast (received off Essendon in 2017)

Pick 30: Brisbane (received off Fremantle, via on-trades)

Pick 31: Fremantle (received off North Melbourne)

Pick 32: Western Bulldogs (received off Brisbane, via on-trades)

Pick 33: Sydney

Pick 34: Essendon (received off GWS in 2017)

Pick 35: Brisbane (received off Port Adelaide, via on-trades)

Pick 36: St Kilda (received off Melbourne)

Pick 37: Richmond

Pick 38: Sydney (received off Collingwood)

Pick 39: Sydney (received off St Kilda, via on-trades)

THIRD ROUND

Pick 40: Sydney (received off Adelaide, via on-trades)

Pick 41: Brisbane (received off Gold Coast)

Pick 42: North Melbourne (received off St Kilda via on-trades)

Pick 43: Fremantle (received off GWS, via on-trades)

Pick 44: Collingwood (received off Brisbane, via on-trades)

Pick 45: Western Bulldogs

Pick 46: St Kilda (received off Melbourne, via on-trades)

Pick 47: North Melbourne (received off Fremantle, via on-trades)

Pick 48: North Melbourne (received off Port Adelaide, via on-trades)

Pick 49: North Melbourne (received off Fremantle, via on-trades)

Pick 50: Geelong

Pick 51: Collingwood (received off Sydney in 2017)

Pick 52: Greater Western Sydney

Pick 53: Hawthorn

Pick 54: Melbourne

Pick 55: North Melbourne (received off Fremantle, via on-trades)

Pick 56: Brisbane (received off Collingwood)

Pick 57: Collingwood (received as compensation for Alex Fasolo)

Pick 58: North Melbourne (received off West Coast via on-trades)

FOURTH ROUND

Pick 59: Geelong (received off Gold Coast, via on-trades)

Pick 60: Geelong (received off Gold Coast in 2017)

Pick 61: West Coast (received off St Kilda)

Pick 62: Melbourne (received off North Melbourne, via on-trades)

Pick 63: Western Bulldogs (received off Fremantle in 2017)

Pick 64: Richmond (received off Western Bulldogs)

Pick 65: Fremantle (received off Melbourne via on-trades)

Pick 66: Essendon

Pick 67: St Kilda (received off Port Adelaide in 2017)

Pick 68: Richmond (received off Adelaide, via on-trades)

Pick 69: Carlton (received off Geelong in 2017)

Pick 70: Geelong (received off Sydney)

Pick 71: Carlton (received off GWS)

Pick 72: West Coast (received off Hawthorn via on-trades)

Pick 73: Adelaide (received off Melbourne in 2017)

Pick 74: Richmond

Pick 75: Collingwood

Pick 76: West Coast

FIFTH ROUND

Pick 77: Carlton

Pick 78: Brisbane (received off Gold Coast)

Pick 79: St Kilda

Pick 80: Gold Coast (received off Brisbane)

Pick 81: Fremantle

Pick 82: Western Bulldogs

Pick 83: Adelaide

Pick 84: Essendon

Pick 85: Port Adelaide

Pick 86: North Melbourne

Pick 87: Geelong

Pick 88: Sydney

Pick 89: Greater Western Sydney

Pick 90: Hawthorn

Pick 91: Melbourne

Pick 92: Richmond

Pick 93: Collingwood

Pick 94: West Coast
Last edited by Lightning McQueen on Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby whufc » Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:36 am

goddy11 wrote:

I think PA would be over the moon with how they have done. Lost a couple of good players and picked up a couple but have placed themselves well in the draft. JC is a good negotiator.
How are they placed to pick up F/S and NGA players. Not too many points left at the lower end of their pick. Maybe hoping they slide to rookie.

Whilst I agree on face value they have had a good week ultimately as a club I think they have taken a massive step backwards.

Within one season they have gone from trading/drafting for ultimate success to within 22 games of football trading/drafting for the future.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5588 times
Been liked: 2529 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:40 am

whufc wrote:
Whilst I agree on face value they have had a good week ultimately as a club I think they have taken a massive step backwards.

Within one season they have gone from trading/drafting for ultimate success to within 22 games of football trading/drafting for the future.

Rebuilding: A term used for a coach to buy an extra couple of years of contract.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Booney » Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:40 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Booney wrote:

Makes me wonder what type of bloke he is, it would seem unlikely for Geelong to put a block on someone wanting to return home, I can't remember who but I reckon they've had a couple of decent players in this category and have been successful in their pursuit.

Could also be that Geelong well and truly have their window open.

:lol:
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby gadj1976 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:40 am

whufc wrote:
goddy11 wrote:

I agree WHUFC. Their drafting and trading has been strange. They loaded up for success but now have placed themselves well for the draft. Good on them but I wonder where there list is at.
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 796 times
Been liked: 850 times

Postby whufc » Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:41 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:
whufc wrote:

Rebuilding: A term used for a coach to buy an extra couple of years of contract.

Almost dismisses them of their prior failures.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5588 times
Been liked: 2529 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby gadj1976 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:42 am

Booney wrote:
locky801 wrote:
Booney wrote:Lions will be thrilled with Beams' Insta comments.

what he say

Just said that Collingwood were always the club he had in his heart, that he was always a Collingwood person.

The more and more I learn about the guy, the more I dislike him.
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 796 times
Been liked: 850 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL