Things that you don't understand

Anything!

Re: Things that you don't understand

Postby JK » Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:14 am

whufc wrote:A young 18 lad I played rugby with and was his boss at work committing suicide last night.

Didn’t see it coming, not even the slightest.

Not good mate, you doing OK? PM if you ever need a chat mate
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4438 times
Been liked: 2984 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby The Bedge » Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:06 pm

whufc wrote:A young 18 lad I played rugby with and was his boss at work committing suicide last night.

Terrible news :(

Guy I play cricket with who has been going through some issues with his wife, I've tried to be a sounding board for him in recent weeks as he struggles to deal with their separation and found out yesterday he had tried to take his own life as well.

Mens Mental Health - it's a serious problem that needs to be talked about and managed more. :(
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3188 times
Been liked: 3989 times

Postby Bum Crack » Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:00 pm

The Bedge wrote:

Guy I play cricket with who has been going through some issues with his wife, I've tried to be a sounding board for him in recent weeks as he struggles to deal with their separation and found out yesterday he had tried to take his own life as well.

Mens Mental Health - it's a serious problem that needs to be talked about and managed more. :(

There was a good segment on the Feed last night on SBS at 7.30pm about Men's Mental Health issues. They interviewed a bloke who attempted to hang himself and realised when he kicked the chair away that he had done the wrong thing. Was unable to reach the chair and ended up taking 45 minutes to resuscitate him and he ended up with some brain damage. Geez he spoke well though. Basically said that blokes need to talk about their issues more and once this starts happening, there will be a decrease in suicide rates.
So you've seen everything have you?
Yep
Have you ever seen a man eat his own head?
No
Well you haven't seen everything then have you.
Bum Crack
Coach

Has liked: 320 times
Been liked: 884 times
Grassroots Team: Berri

Postby heater31 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:56 pm

Bum Crack wrote:
The Bedge wrote:

There was a good segment on the Feed last night on SBS at 7.30pm about Men's Mental Health issues. They interviewed a bloke who attempted to hang himself and realised when he kicked the chair away that he had done the wrong thing. Was unable to reach the chair and ended up taking 45 minutes to resuscitate him and he ended up with some brain damage. Geez he spoke well though. Basically said that blokes need to talk about their issues more and once this starts happening, there will be a decrease in suicide rates.
One of my best mates did it in his parents shed 14 years ago. I still think about what I could have done differently. I assume I'm not the only one doing this.

Always make the effort to speak to his 2 brothers when I see them.
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1259 times

Postby HH3 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:31 pm

My dad took his life, and looking back, you think what could you have done differently. If anything could have changed it.

At the time, I remember I was having a busy week, and didnt take up his offer of a catch up, and never saw him again.

It's tough, but unless someone tells you whats going on, you can't predict these things. Especially now when everybody seems to have one issue or another.
I TOLD YOU SO

2013/14 NFL Tipping Comp Champion
HH3
Coach

Has liked: 3301 times
Been liked: 2432 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby Failed Creation » Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:30 am

I've always been vocal about my struggles, in the hope that others can find the strength to speak up too.

But the stigma still remains; I know there's certain family members and friends who always change the subject when I bring it up.

In my experience, many of those who commit suicide or self-harm choose not to tell anyone before the fact. This could be that they don't want to burden people any more than they feel they are. So many people say that suicide is a selfish act, but those who attempt it are often thinking that their loved ones would be better of without them. Most people don't see this perspective, unless they've been through (or are going through) it.

I've been lucky to have a beautiful wife who understands me, and can often sense what's going on before I know myself. There have been a few posters on here (namely Booney and Valleys07) who have always been there for a chat when I've needed it.

SAFooty is a wonderful community, and there's no shortage of folks around who'd lend an ear if you needed it.
Politicians kissing babies for good luck,
TV preachers sell salvation for a buck.
You don't need no golden cross to tell you wrong from right,
The world's worst murderers were those who saw the light.
Failed Creation
Coach

Has liked: 3307 times
Been liked: 613 times
Grassroots Team: Gawler Central

Postby Brodlach » Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:11 am

Fabulous words mate.
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4206 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby Dutchy » Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:23 am

I went thru a really bad patch last year, thankfully only lasted a week or so, but the darkness that overcame me was really really scary, very hard to describe and I won't attempt to on here.

Just like we need to focus on physical health, mental health needs the same focus.

If you have insta look up "Puka Up" - its run by Wayne Schwass, the odd post pops up in your feed and I find it a great reminder to check on yourself. I have also listened to a few of his podcasts which interview some well known people and are excellent to hear on how others deal with their mental health.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3482 times

Postby Booney » Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:57 pm

Failed Creation wrote:I've always been vocal about my struggles, in the hope that others can find the strength to speak up too.

But the stigma still remains; I know there's certain family members and friends who always change the subject when I bring it up.

In my experience, many of those who commit suicide or self-harm choose not to tell anyone before the fact. This could be that they don't want to burden people any more than they feel they are. So many people say that suicide is a selfish act, but those who attempt it are often thinking that their loved ones would be better of without them. Most people don't see this perspective, unless they've been through (or are going through) it.

I've been lucky to have a beautiful wife who understands me, and can often sense what's going on before I know myself. There have been a few posters on here (namely Booney and Valleys07) who have always been there for a chat when I've needed it.

SAFooty is a wonderful community, and there's no shortage of folks around who'd lend an ear if you needed it.

Any time.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10754 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:13 pm

Arabic.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby valleys07 » Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:18 pm

Failed Creation wrote:I've always been vocal about my struggles, in the hope that others can find the strength to speak up too.

A wonderful post.

At times when having a moment of self doubt or a prolonged period of sadness I have struggled to open up, even after being told by many friends and family that they are a phone call away. It is incredibly hard to explain why - some feel they are a pest, others don't like the feeling they might be judged.

The bolded is exactly why there is still such a major issue surrounding mental health, particularly for men.
“Think of me like Yoda, but instead of being little and green I wear suits and I'm awesome. I'm your bro—I'm Broda!”

HOGG Shield 2015 Division I Premiers.
HOGG Shield 2017 Premier League Premiers.
valleys07
Coach

Has liked: 767 times
Been liked: 1168 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby Lightning McQueen » Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:26 pm

valleys07 wrote:
A wonderful post.

At times when having a moment of self doubt or a prolonged period of sadness I have struggled to open up, even after being told by many friends and family that they are a phone call away. It is incredibly hard to explain why - some feel they are a pest, others don't like the feeling they might be judged.

The bolded is exactly why there is still such a major issue surrounding mental health, particularly for men.

Probably easier in some sense to open up a bit to an avatar, I know when I was at my lowest I felt at more ease writing than what I did talking to friends etc.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby valleys07 » Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:40 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
valleys07 wrote:
A wonderful post.

Probably easier in some sense to open up a bit to an avatar, I know when I was at my lowest I felt at more ease writing than what I did talking to friends etc.

Agreed, and that is why social media platforms such as SAFooty and Blokes Advice (a private FB group) are great. Plenty of people open up in times of struggle and both platforms have added an outlet for those who you have just described.
Last edited by valleys07 on Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Think of me like Yoda, but instead of being little and green I wear suits and I'm awesome. I'm your bro—I'm Broda!”

HOGG Shield 2015 Division I Premiers.
HOGG Shield 2017 Premier League Premiers.
valleys07
Coach

Has liked: 767 times
Been liked: 1168 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby JK » Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:00 pm

Mate introduced me to the “Blokes Advice” group on FB recently. Ok, there’s some nork pics getting around and fishing chats etc, but there’s a LOT of blokes on there battling demons, particularly fathers in painful custody battles. Must admit I’ve never read so much support coming from blokes, ever. Any lads on here that could use some support and/or provide it for others should jump onboard and have a look.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4438 times
Been liked: 2984 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby whufc » Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:01 pm

JK wrote:Mate introduced me to the “Blokes Advice” group on FB recently. Ok, there’s some nork pics getting around and fishing chats etc, but there’s a LOT of blokes on there battling demons, particularly fathers in painful custody battles. Must admit I’ve never read so much support coming from blokes, ever. Any lads on here that could use some support and/or provide it for others should jump onboard and have a look.

Try SA Brothers, its heaps better and more supportive than BA.

SA Brothers is the best group on Facebook. They tolerate the smart arses etc.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5564 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:23 am

Why by 10:20am I've eaten my daily quota of food? I do it all the time, I have no self control.

When I was younger and worked in our factory I'd do a 14 hour shift on afternoon's, I'd take 6 curried egg sanga's in for a 4pm start and eat them all by 5:30pm :lol:
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Pseudo » Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:46 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:Why by 10:20am I've eaten my daily quota of food? I do it all the time, I have no self control.

When I was younger and worked in our factory I'd do a 14 hour shift on afternoon's, I'd take 6 curried egg sanga's in for a 4pm start and eat them all by 5:30pm :lol:

I'm guessing that your coworkers wore pegs on their noses?
Clowns OUT. Smears OUT. RESIST THE OCCUPATION.
Pseudo
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1553 times
Grassroots Team: Marion

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:57 am

Pseudo wrote:I'm guessing that your coworkers wore pegs on their noses?

It was in the factory so it was easy to push the blame.

I don't get the egg thing, they don't have that affect on me, onions on the other hand.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:17 am

The word "shit ton".

It gets thrown around at work a bit, it makes no sense to me.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Trader » Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:50 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:The word "shit ton".

It gets thrown around at work a bit, it makes no sense to me.

Hopefully this helps:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzAnUzpROzA
Danny Southern telling Plugga he's fat, I'd like to see that!
Trader
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 794 times

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  General Discussion