Cycling: fitness, racing or leisure rides..

Losing Weight, Health, Body Building, Fitness, Exercising, Nutrition, etc.

Re: Cycling: fitness, racing or leisure rides..

Postby gadj1976 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:12 pm

valleys07 wrote:Hi all,

After some recommendations.

I am looking at buying a road bike to build up a bit of core strength and general fitness, hopefully getting to the point where I can commute to and from work on 2 wheels instead of 4 and cut some fuel expenses.

In terms of spending, I don't want to exceed $1000, but also don't want to be riding around on a piece of junk, either.

Any advice appreciated lads :)

I started with an $899 Orbea flat bar - similar to this https://www.thebikelist.co.uk/orbea/carpe-h10-2013. Mine was a 2012.

The idea being, if I liked riding in and was fit enough, I'd keep going, but like you I didn't want to have to ride in on something that was going to break down every 5 minutes and then have to upgrade if I did enjoy it. Also, I wanted to 'pay it off' easily (ie, how many bus rides would it take to save the 900 bucks back?).

As it was, I really did enjoy it but it was a heap of sh1t. I upgraded (paid the difference) to a $1299 bike after about 8 -10 months. That lasted me about 28000km and well and truly paid for itself. https://www.bicyclebluebook.com/searchl ... id=3042081. Shizen colour scheme but I had little choice in the matter at the time. The thing was bullet proof!

Now I've upgraded to a Giant and have kept the second Orbea as a backup. This giant was about 1499 but again, I've paid it off already in savings made by not catching the bus. It might take longer but it's really the only time I get to do any fitness work for myself and I find when I get into work I'm more mentally stimulated. I've had to catch the bus in a few times because of other commitments and found I take a while to mentally get into work.

I'd suggest, if you are going to buy something, go for something that's better quality second hand. There are lots of good bikes out there. I don't think I'd buy new again - not that there is anything wrong with buying new, but you'll get a better frame and gearset on a 1500 second hand bike that's a year or two old than a new one for the same money.

Best of luck and enjoy!
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 795 times
Been liked: 849 times

Postby Dutchy » Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:20 pm

Good advice, I still ride an old road bike, but have upgraded the wheels and pay extra $ to ensure I have top quality tyres on it at all times, at the end of the day thats the bit that you rely on the most so worth the extra $ IMO.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3482 times

Postby Psyber » Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:20 pm

I went for leisure and versality and got a Centurion Cross Line 400 a few years ago.
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 389 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Postby valleys07 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:43 pm

I ended up going brand new - Bought a Merida Scultura 100.

Went for a small 3km trundle tonight just to get a feel for it - I haven't ridden a bike in years so my balance was a little bit off.

Looking forward to breaking it in and hopefully make my first commute to work by the end of the year.
“Think of me like Yoda, but instead of being little and green I wear suits and I'm awesome. I'm your bro—I'm Broda!”

HOGG Shield 2015 Division I Premiers.
HOGG Shield 2017 Premier League Premiers.
valleys07
Coach

Has liked: 767 times
Been liked: 1168 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby Dutchy » Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:46 am

Nice one, if you haven't already get on Strava (look up on app store) its great to record your rides but also to find out best routes in your local area, especially bike paths you may not be aware of.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby valleys07 » Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:46 am

Cheers Dutch.

I am on Strava. Tell me more about finding the best bike paths, what do I need to do?
“Think of me like Yoda, but instead of being little and green I wear suits and I'm awesome. I'm your bro—I'm Broda!”

valleys07
Coach

Postby gadj1976 » Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:09 pm

valleys07 wrote:I ended up going brand new - Bought a Merida Scultura 100.

Went for a small 3km trundle tonight just to get a feel for it - I haven't ridden a bike in years so my balance was a little bit off.

Looking forward to breaking it in and hopefully make my first commute to work by the end of the year.

Good stuff valleys07 and welcome to the fun and enjoy the fresh air!
gadj1976
Coach

Postby Dutchy » Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:42 pm

valleys07 wrote:Cheers Dutch.

I am on Strava. Tell me more about finding the best bike paths, what do I need to do?

Go to Explore > Segment Explore and you can search via a map, it will show popular segments in the area you choose, I have worked out heaps of new routes around my area both on and off road just by checking this out. Best to do it on a desktop/laptop.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby gadj1976 » Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:47 pm

Nice wheels by the way Valleys. You won't be disappointed. If you see a fat old bloke on a Giant flat bar riding to and from work (struggling) give me a hoy. You might be able to tow me up the hills on the way home ;-)
gadj1976
Coach

Postby gadj1976 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:02 am

Hey Valleys. Did you ride in up Frome Road this morning, yellow top blue shorts?
gadj1976
Coach

Postby valleys07 » Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:59 pm

gadj1976 wrote:

Hey Valleys. Did you ride in up Frome Road this morning, yellow top blue shorts?

Nah mate, wasn't me.

I went for my first ride yesterday as part of a day off. Salisbury Plain to Mawson lakes and back. Basically just a loop around Parafield Airport. A nice 17 km ride just to become accustomed to riding on the road, becoming aware of my surroundings and learning my peripherals etc. Nice flat plains to ensure I stayed within my limitations.

I was fairly fatigued through the hamstrings, quads and back. Given a round trip from home to work for me is approximately 50kms, I have a fair way to go.

This weekend I plan to up my distance to about 20 - 25kms, might go as far as Montague Rd, Pooraka and back, see how I feel and build up from there.

valleys07
Coach

Postby mickey » Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:16 pm

Hows the gooch feeling! Takes a few rides to toughen it up and get used to the skinny saddle

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
mickey
Coach

Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 312 times
Grassroots Team: Seaton Ramblers

Postby gadj1976 » Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:17 pm

valleys07 wrote:
gadj1976 wrote:

Nah mate, wasn't me.

I went for my first ride yesterday as part of a day off. Salisbury Plain to Mawson lakes and back. Basically just a loop around Parafield Airport. A nice 17 km ride just to become accustomed to riding on the road, becoming aware of my surroundings and learning my peripherals etc. Nice flat plains to ensure I stayed within my limitations.

I was fairly fatigued through the hamstrings, quads and back. Given a round trip from home to work for me is approximately 50kms, I have a fair way to go.

This weekend I plan to up my distance to about 20 - 25kms, might go as far as Montague Rd, Pooraka and back, see how I feel and build up from there.

Ahh, ok. There was a bloke on a Merida that looked exactly like yours riding in front of me.

Regarding your comments above, you'll find that once you do 10km, the rest is a doddle. Remembering like me that you have a few hours between riding to and from work I assume. For me, I have a 16.6km ride in, 8 hours at work and a 16.6km ride home. It gives you plenty of time to recover. If I had to do the 33km in a row, I'd really struggle. I've done it once, on a hot day and it was tough.
gadj1976
Coach

Postby valleys07 » Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:01 pm

mickey wrote:Hows the gooch feeling! Takes a few rides to toughen it up and get used to the skinny saddle

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Haha - not too bad surprisingly. Was expecting it to feel more uncomfortable than it was.

The padded bicycle shorts will be a worthy investment for the longer rides though.

valleys07
Coach

Postby valleys07 » Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:09 pm

gadj1976 wrote:
valleys07 wrote:
gadj1976 wrote:

Nah mate, wasn't me.

Ahh, ok. There was a bloke on a Merida that looked exactly like yours riding in front of me.

Regarding your comments above, you'll find that once you do 10km, the rest is a doddle. Remembering like me that you have a few hours between riding to and from work I assume. For me, I have a 16.6km ride in, 8 hours at work and a 16.6km ride home. It gives you plenty of time to recover. If I had to do the 33km in a row, I'd really struggle. I've done it once, on a hot day and it was tough.

I see your point, hence why I want to get to 25 kms to guarantee I can cover the distance to work, then I will start to work some elevation into the routes. Once I am comfortable with distance, time and navigating my way through peak hour traffic, i'll start riding to work where possible.

valleys07
Coach

Postby gadj1976 » Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:38 pm

I've started riding from Modbury to Mile End each day. It's 20km each day and I love it. Besides almost getting cleaned up at my local roundabout and dodging some pigeons/ducks and pea hens nearer to the city, I absolutely love it.

So, after 200km a week, I'm really happy to rest the legs on weekends.

Looking forward to this week when it'll be over 40 each day!
Last edited by gadj1976 on Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gadj1976
Coach

Postby DOC » Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:40 pm

No one would blame you to have a day off next week.
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 723 times
Been liked: 2076 times

Postby gadj1976 » Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:53 pm

DOC wrote:No one would blame you to have a day off next week.

Thanks Doc, but my options are to drive which can take the same time or to catch the bus, which takes longer. Either way, I feel guilty if I'm not exercising, despite the heat.
gadj1976
Coach

Postby Dutchy » Thu Dec 19, 2019 9:44 pm

Great work!

I wish I didnt need my car so much at work, then Id ride a bit.

Have been training for the TDU ride in Jan - Norwood to the Barossa and finish at Murray Bridge, 162 k's.

Been riding as much as possible, including twice this week in the morning, struggled yesterday in the last half hour.

Been doing 50 km rides, this weekend I want to do a couple of 70kms rides and then early Jan a couple of 100's.

At my size its not easy, but I need something like this to train for otherwise I wont get out as much. amazing how good you feel within yourself when you get a small bit of fitness
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby Dutchy » Mon Dec 23, 2019 12:57 pm

Rode Flaggy to Willunga and back yesterday, longest ride so far this summer (70kms) struggling with a bit of a virus so the last 10kms (uphill) was tough, but feel really good today and jumped on the scales to show Im the "lightest" Ive been for 2 years. Did 196kms last week which I was pretty happy with considering the heat, including 1,900m of vert.

Hope to get out tomorrow at some stage before a week off the bike, then come NYE Ill be back into it with under 4 weeks to go until the ride.
Dutchy
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  Health & Fitness