Restaurant & Pub Reviews

Anything!

Re: Restaurant & Pub Reviews

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:40 pm

Dutchy wrote:Good to know there might be a pub worth visiting in the South, I banned it after MT's recent review.

Speaking of Christies I spent $7 on a coffee down there last week, and it wasn't even that good!

I'm glad Christies may have picked up there game, but from my last visit I'm in no rush for a feed.
I might get down there for an arvo on the beers and have a burger. But anything else I'd be cautious.
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11807 times
Been liked: 3582 times

Postby Pag » Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:34 am

Sammys on The Marina

3rd wedding anniversary so off we went, had never been before but had always wanted to. Had read Booney's previous poor and then good review so went in with an open mind.

Booked for 7pm, got there about 10 past, no probs, table outside. Waiter was great, got us a beer and a red wine almost immediately.

Came back five later to take entrees. Came out 10 mins later. A garlic and herb brad (four generous slices) and an entree S&P squid, lovely and buttery, barely had to chew. Wife is not a seafood eater and that's about as much as she can do but she was happy with it. Got another beer and red ordered as plates were taken, waiter was great.

Went Battered KGW for main, wife went sirloin (cooked medium). About a 30 min wait for main but wasn't too bothered, weren't in a rush and sun was going down so we were relatively relaxed. Mains come out, KGW was brilliant, wife cuts into steak, it's well-done. No pink whatsoever. She debates whether to return or just eat it, but after some encouragement she walks it back to the counter (waiter wasn't around but I think was leaving us to our devices to eat). They front of house staff looked at it and immediately apologised, took the plate back. Waiter came back to table two minutes later, apologised again, and offered a complimentary round of drinks while new steak was being cooked. Thanks mate.

Five mins later the head of the front-of-house staff comes over and apologises again, puts the steak on the house. We argued she didn't have to but was adamant. No worries.

Steak comes out 10 mins later, cooked perfectly this time, red wine mushroom jus, garlic mash and asparagus. Wife smashed it down and was quite pleased with what she got.

All up for the three beers, three reds (including one complimentary one each), garlic bread, S&P squid, KGW main and sirloin main (complimentary) came to $107. Was more than happy to fork over the dosh, the staff couldn't have been more helpful and attentive, view was great, food was very good, can't complain about anything. Will definitely be back.

Every chef is going to make a mistake at some point, and we understand that, so well done to Sammys for their customer service when the mistake happened. They owned it and went above and beyond after to make our dinner as enjoyable as possible.
Last edited by Pag on Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pag
Coach

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 498 times

Postby valleys07 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:41 am

Pag wrote:Sammys on The Marina

3rd wedding anniversary so off we went, had never been before but had always wanted to. Had read Booney's previous poor and then good review so went in with an open mind.

Booked for 7pm, got there about 10 past, no probs, table outside. Waiter was great, got us a beer and a red wine almost immediately.

Came back five later to take entrees. Came out 10 mins later. A garlic and herb brad (four generous slices) and an entree S&P squid, lovely and buttery, barely had to chew. Wife is not a seafood eater and that's about as much as she can do but she was happy with it. Got another beer and red ordered as plates were taken, waiter was great.

Went Battered KGW for main, wife went sirloin (cooked medium). About a 30 min wait for main but wasn't too bothered, weren't in a rush and sun was going down so we were relatively relaxed. Maisn come out, KGW was brilliant, wife cuts into steak, it's well-done. No pink whatsoever. She deates whether to return or just eat it, but after some encouragement she walks it back to the counter (waiter wasn't around but I think was leaving us to our devices to eat). They front of house staff looked at it and immediately apologised, took the plate back. Waiter came back to table two minutes later, apologised again, and offered a complimentary round of drinks while new steak was being cooked. Thanks mate.

Five mins later the head of the front-of-house staff comes over and apologises again, puts the steak on the house. We argued she didn't have to but was adamant. No worries.

Steak comes out 10 mins later, cooked perfectly this time, red wine mushroom jus, garlic mash and asparagus. Wife smashed it down and was quite pleased with what she got.

All up for the three beers, three reds (including one complimentary one each), garlic bread, S&P squid, KGW main and sirloin main (complimentary) came to $107. Was more than happy to fork over the dosh, the staff couldn't have been more helpful and attentive, view was great, food was very good, can't complain about anything. Will definitely be back.

Every chef is going to make a mistake at some point, and we understand that, so well done to Sammys for their customer service when the mistake happened. They owned it and went above and beyond after to make our dinner as enjoyable as possible.

Now that is what the consumer wants to hear. Positive experiences, but should there be negatives- ownership taken and high level customer service followed through.

Props to Sammy's. Glad to hear it was a memorable anniversary dinner for you both!
“Think of me like Yoda, but instead of being little and green I wear suits and I'm awesome. I'm your bro—I'm Broda!”

HOGG Shield 2015 Division I Premiers.
HOGG Shield 2017 Premier League Premiers.
valleys07
Coach

Has liked: 767 times
Been liked: 1168 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby Lightning McQueen » Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:42 am

Went Battered KGW for main, wife went sirloin (cooked medium). About a 30 min wait for main but wasn't too bothered, weren't in a rush and sun was going down so we were relatively relaxed. Maisn come out, KGW was brilliant, wife cuts into steak, it's well-done. No pink whatsoever. She deates whether to return or just eat it, but after some encouragement she walks it back to the counter (waiter wasn't around but I think was leaving us to our devices to eat). They front of house staff looked at it and immediately apologised, took the plate back. Waiter came back to table two minutes later, apologised again, and offered a complimentary round of drinks while new steak was being cooked. Thanks mate.

Awesome, was planning to take the Fun Police there pretty soon.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby Booney » Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:51 am

As above, good on them for taking ownership of it.

I'd put them on the banned list but removed them and they're still a chance of further patronage from me but as you note it's not somewhere you go on a regular basis.

Perfect night last night to be out on the deck there.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby Footy Chick » Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:04 am

Pag - takes wife who doesn't eat seafood, to a seafood restaurant for anniversary :lol:
Don't play games with a girl who can play 'em better...

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Has liked: 1737 times
Been liked: 2144 times

Postby heater31 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:07 am

Footy Chick wrote:Pag - takes wife who doesn't eat seafood, to a seafood restaurant for anniversary [emoji38]
It's the thought that counts [emoji6]
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1259 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:14 am

Footy Chick wrote:Pag - takes wife who doesn't eat seafood, to a seafood restaurant for anniversary :lol:

What an operator. :lol: :lol:

Can't wait for the backlash.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Pag » Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:36 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Footy Chick wrote:Pag - takes wife who doesn't eat seafood, to a seafood restaurant for anniversary :lol:

What an operator. :lol: :lol:

Can't wait for the backlash.

She actually booked it, knowing I had never been.

Won't let that get in the way though. ;)
Pag
Coach

Postby mighty hounds » Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:22 pm

Booney wrote:

As above, good on them for taking ownership of it.

I'd put them on the banned list but removed them and they're still a chance of further patronage from me but as you note it's not somewhere you go on a regular basis.

Perfect night last night to be out on the deck there.

What year did you blacklist them Booney? I was there in Feb 2015 for Valentines day. We ordered one of their seafood platers and there was a couple who rocked up 20-25 minutes after us on the next table and they gave our meal to them. We waited for over an hour and in the mean time they gave us complimentary drinks for their stuff up. Went to play and they didn't accept the Entertainment Voucher which they said they would when we booked. The young prick smirk when i told him the lady I spoke to over the phone said we could use it. Haven't been back since. Does it have new owners?
mighty hounds
Coach

Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 285 times

Postby gadj1976 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:29 pm

The Bavarian at Modbury (TTP)

Food - 9
Atmosphere - 9.5
Service - 4
Price - 3

The knocks;

They were flat out on a Sunday lunchtime which meant their service was hampered somewhat. And they opened two weeks ago. We had two orders given to our table that were not ours but they decided after the third person brought them out, to leave them with us.

My wife ordered a wrap, which we then had to ask where it was, after everyone had finished eating.

The wraps were interesting. On your table, you had a pen and pad and circled the elements you wanted in your wrap. You rip that off and take that to the counter when placing your order. When you received the order, the one you completed is under your wrap. Not sure about the hygiene factor but oh well.

Overall I'd go back but not at peak hour. We would've spent for 2 adults and 2 kids (kids eat free Sunday) at least 100 bucks. 500ml pints were $12.50 with a surcharge on Sundays and schnitzels were $25ish.

They do have some specials on which would make it more enjoyable.
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 795 times
Been liked: 849 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:41 pm

gadj1976 wrote:The Bavarian at Modbury (TTP)

Food - 9
Atmosphere - 9.5
Service - 4
Price - 3

The knocks;

They were flat out on a Sunday lunchtime which meant their service was hampered somewhat. And they opened two weeks ago. We had two orders given to our table that were not ours but they decided after the third person brought them out, to leave them with us.

My wife ordered a wrap, which we then had to ask where it was, after everyone had finished eating.

The wraps were interesting. On your table, you had a pen and pad and circled the elements you wanted in your wrap. You rip that off and take that to the counter when placing your order. When you received the order, the one you completed is under your wrap. Not sure about the hygiene factor but oh well.

Overall I'd go back but not at peak hour. We would've spent for 2 adults and 2 kids (kids eat free Sunday) at least 100 bucks. 500ml pints were $12.50 with a surcharge on Sundays and schnitzels were $25ish.

That bit lost me.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Booney » Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:54 pm

@mighty hounds

You can read below :

26/6/16 was when I posted the lifting of the ban.

Booney wrote:
Booney wrote:Sammys on the Marina.

Booked for 4. Got sat at a table for 6. :-??

20 minutes in no drinks order taken, no menus on table. 40 minutes in get beers and bottle of wine to the table. About to up and go and they apologize and take food order. 30 minutes passes by and they come to ask what we ordered and with who. It was the chick who asked us who took the order!

Said don't bother and upped and out. They didn't ask for payment of the wine and beers ( lucky for them ) and gave us two $100 vouchers. Who wants them?

0/10. Banned.

Well, we went back Saturday for lunch with the couple who joined us last time to use our 2 x $100 vouchers.

We booked for 1pm, table of 4. Got there to be greeted by a very attentive manager behind the counter, taken to our table and seated. The other couple joining us were running a little late so I asked for a bottle of water for the table, a Pale for me and a lemon. lime and bitters for Mrs Boon. All this back on our table in about 5 minutes. I should note there was 3 tables of 2 and 1 table of 4 already seated upon our arrival, so not busy.

The other couple arrived and saw where we were seated, they just came and joined us. They sat down as the waitress came back to check on us, they ordered the same drinks as we had, Pale and L,L,B. We asked for 5 minutes or so to decide on our food order, the waitress was excellent, topped up the water, bit chatty without being intrusive. The other couple had just been to an open inspection ( they're looking for a home ) and we were looking at the glossy brochure, the waitress "Oooh,nice house, good luck". She left us for 5 minutes, she was on song.

We ordered the "Sammys Platter" for 3, Mrs Boon doesn't eat seafood, of any description, so she went with the crusted lamb on mash and veg.

Sammy platter : Grilled king prawns (3 skewers with 2 on each), crab (2) , grilledscallops (6), batteredflathead (3),grilled King George whiting (3),crumbed calamari (6),spicy calamari (6), smoked salmon (3) ,fresh king prawns (6) , chilli mussels ( 3) ,oysters natural (6) all served with a side of chips and greek salad. ( I added the quantities in ).

Mrs Boon's lamb came out with one waiter as the platter arrived with another, good work. The platter was excellent bar one of the crabs that was either a little over done or not that fresh, was a bit chalky and mushy on the inside. It is the end of the crab season so you can't be too upset with one being a little under perfect. The rest was outstanding, the type of level you'd expect for the price.

I had another pale, the other couple and Mrs Boon shared a bottle of white.

The platter was $160 for two, $80 for every extra person > $240. The lamb $45, the beers $9 and I think the bottle was around $40.

Total $362. It was at this point we unleashed the vouchers, 2 x $100 bringing our bill down to $162. I explained to the waitress why we were given them, she called the manager over and I explained that we were very happy with todays service, food and the friendly manner of the staff. He was great, apologised for our last visit, took the vouchers and my card to fix up the balance, came back with a receipt for $100 on my card ( I was expecting $162 ) and said the balance is on him and he looks forward to seeing us again some time.

They are off the banned list, BUT, at the best part of $100 per head without over doing drinks it isn't a place to visit on a regular basis nor with a big group as they don't do separate bills.

This time round :

Service 9/10
Food 9/10
Ambiance 8/10

Over all - 8.5/10 and they're not going to be shit canned by me like they were last time.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby Pag » Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:29 pm

gadj1976 wrote:The Bavarian at Modbury (TTP)

Food - 9
Atmosphere - 9.5
Service - 4
Price - 3

The knocks;

You're a brave man for trying so early. I won't be going in until at least after Christmas, everytime I walk past they are absolutely flat out. Will wait until the novelty wears off.
Pag
Coach

Postby Corona Man » Thu Nov 22, 2018 4:32 pm

Arkaba.

Been a busy day and only got around to lunch at about 3.45pm.

Wandered into the Bistro Bar. Quick look at the menu $16 Salt & Pepper Squid caught my eye.

Wait at the bar for over 5 minutes no service. Eventually a tall streak of Pelican shit tells me I need to go to another counter to order food.

Go to other counter. Squid thanks pal. $26 thanks mate WTF? Oh you looked at the entree prices I’m told. Yep whatever mate, I’ll have the Squid.

Back to the bar, try to order a beer, another 5 minute wait ensues. Eventually get served (I’m the only one in the bar) after 15 minutes I can sit down with a beer and wait the arrival of lunch.

Lunch arrives, if that’s the main size I’d hate to see the entree!

Half way through eating my beer is empty. Up to the bar, another 5+ minute wait, again.... I’m practically the only one here. I watch staff take phone calls, re stack fridges, wipe glasses... everything but serve me. Finally get a beer, turn around to see a waitress walking off with my plate of half finished (now cold) lunch. FFS!!

I never came here when I lived in Adelaide. I won’t come back either.

Banned!
1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015.... And don't you forget it!
Corona Man
Coach

Has liked: 1275 times
Been liked: 3461 times
Grassroots Team: Echunga

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Thu Nov 22, 2018 4:59 pm

Ha ha, I would have asked where my lunch was???
Should've just gone to Maccas or HJs
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Postby Corona Man » Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:10 pm

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:Ha ha, I would have asked where my lunch was???
Should've just gone to Maccas or HJs

I just said.... Oi!

It worked.
1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015.... And don't you forget it!
Corona Man
Coach

Has liked: 1275 times
Been liked: 3461 times
Grassroots Team: Echunga

Postby Pag » Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:24 am

To all those that positively reviewed Boony's at Port Noarlunga, big thumbs up. Was hungover yesterday after staying down south for John Farnham/Daryl Braithwaite at Leconfield, headed into Port Noarlunga for breakfast, the name rang a bell. Walked in at 10am, hardly anyone there. $52 for two big breakkies (that were out in 10-15 mins) and two coffees, all done so well (although I was hungover so anything may have worked). One of the best breakfast sausages I've had in a long time. Thanks for the tip :D
Last edited by Pag on Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Pag
Coach

Postby Wedgie » Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:12 am

I was at the Ark Saturday night and had the opposite experience. Was at a sold out gig and got served quickly everytime both upstairs and downstirs. I was so impressed with how good the staff was I sent some good feedback to the pub which Ive hardly ever done.
Must admit I ate there a few years ago and found it overpriced and ordinary so if I want a meal when going out there usually go to the Parkside first.
I love the Ark, always have a great night there, although I didnt love it yesterday morning when I was starting work with a hangover as we didn't leave the Ark till about 2am.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2020 times
Been liked: 3862 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:13 pm

Pag wrote:To all those that positively reviewed Boony's at Port Noarlunga, big thumbs up. Was hungover yesterday after staying down south for John Farnham/Daryl Braithwaite at Leconfield, headed into Port Noarlunga for breakfast, the name rang a ball. $52 for two big breakkies and two coffees, all done so well (although I was hungover so anything may have worked). One of the best breakfast sausages I've had in a long time. Thanks for the tip :D

I was there Sat night, fully packed out, albeit not hard given its not big.
Again it was brilliant.

There was our table of 13, another table of 8ish, plus outside had a party where more rocked up then booked.
All meals came out at same time and no complaints.

Boonys may have rung a bell as it is similar to an esteemed member of our SA Footy family... :)
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  General Discussion