New Rules 2019

Adelaide Footy League Talk

New Rules 2019

Postby BZB27 » Fri Nov 23, 2018 12:20 pm

This is via the Adelaide footy league site

New rules and interpretations for Adelaide Footy umpires in Season 2019 have been finalised after the League’s General Committee meeting on Monday night. The Football Operations department and Executive Committee put forward recommendations to the League’s clubs which then agreed on what new AFL rules would also be adopted in Adelaide Footy games next year.

Changes to be included will be the new kick-in rules (the defending player can play on from inside the goal square without kicking the ball to themselves), having the player on the mark move back in line with the top of the goal square when there is a mark or free kick behind the kick off line, allowing a player being given a 25m penalty to play on, not considering taking the ball out of the ruck a prior opportunity and getting rid of the hands in the back rule (only paying marking infringements if the player is pushed).

Changes not adopted will be the starting positions rule, restrictions on runners and water carriers, prohibited zones behind umpires and allowing players to kick for a goal after the siren on an angle. Other existing AFL rules will continue to not be used in Adelaide Footy games including ruck nominations, deliberate rushed points and 50m penalties (25m instead).

Adelaide Footy Umpiring Manager Colin Rowston says there has been a great deal of thought put into what is appropriate for local football. “It was important for the League to go through a process to work out what was best for us. While we acknowledge the influence the AFL has on players, coaches, spectators and umpires, it is also clear that not everything that happens at that level can or should be implemented in our games. The challenge will now be to educate everyone involved exactly what is expected in Season 2019.”

One other major change to be implemented next year will be a tightening of the holding the ball rule, with the player who has possession of the ball to be penalised more often if there is seen to be a prior opportunity or if there is not a genuine attempt to dispose of the ball.

A video will be produced to outline these changes, with its release in February so it can be distributed to umpires and clubs before trial games begin. A forum for coaches at all levels will be held at ALDI Arena on the evening of Wednesday February 20 to discuss the rules and interpretations for 2019 in detail.

A summary of the outcome of the recommendations can be found online at http://www.adelaidefootball.com.au/wp-c ... s-2019.pdf

L
BZB27
League - Best 21

Has liked: 216 times
Been liked: 173 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Re: New Rules 2019

Postby Q. » Fri Nov 23, 2018 12:47 pm

BZB27 wrote:One other major change to be implemented next year will be a tightening of the holding the ball rule, with the player who has possession of the ball to be penalised more often if there is seen to be a prior opportunity or if there is not a genuine attempt to dispose of the ball.

Except during finals where they won't pay a single HTB :roll:
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby The Bedge » Fri Nov 23, 2018 1:00 pm

Q. wrote:Except during finals where they won't pay a single HTB :roll:

Stop playing D7R and you wont need to worry bub :P
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3188 times
Been liked: 3989 times

Postby Q. » Fri Nov 23, 2018 1:10 pm

The Bedge wrote:

I avoid contact these days anyway ;)
Q.
Coach

Postby The Bedge » Fri Nov 23, 2018 1:10 pm

Q. wrote:
The Bedge wrote:

Actually just realised you wont need to worry - C grade umpires are club appointed ;)
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3188 times
Been liked: 3989 times

Postby Q. » Fri Nov 23, 2018 1:55 pm

The Bedge wrote:
Q. wrote:
The Bedge wrote:

Actually just realised you wont need to worry - C grade umpires are club appointed ;)
Not next season. League umps for C grade
Q.
Coach

Postby The Dark Knight » Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:20 pm

BZB27 wrote:One other major change to be implemented next year will be a tightening of the holding the ball rule, with the player who has possession of the ball to be penalised more often if there is seen to be a prior opportunity or if there is not a genuine attempt to dispose of the ball.

I welcome this change in the interpretation of HTB. Every game last season I played in we had players from either side hold onto the footy with every chance to dispose of the ball but the umpires let it go and let the player hold onto the ball then finally call a ball up, much to the frustration of the players thinking he would be penalized. It became comical at times as even my own teammates could hold on to it knowing they won't get pinned until there was the odd occasion, maybe once a game where a player would get pinged for not getting rid of it.

This is a change for the better, rewarding the tackler more often.
The Dark Knight
Coach

Has liked: 10298 times
Been liked: 1516 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby laser » Sat Nov 24, 2018 8:31 am

The Dark Knight wrote:

I welcome this change in the interpretation of HTB. Every game last season I played in we had players from either side hold onto the footy with every chance to dispose of the ball but the umpires let it go and let the player hold onto the ball then finally call a ball up, much to the frustration of the players thinking he would be penalized. It became comical at times as even my own teammates could hold on to it knowing they won't get pinned until there was the odd occasion, maybe once a game where a player would get pinged for not getting rid of it.

Agree, would’ve been a world record number of ball ups in 2018.
laser
Under 16s

Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 45 times
Grassroots Team: Unley

Postby Dutchy » Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:50 pm

This is what the SFL & GSFL have agreed to, it looks like it is identical to AdFL if I ready above right??

SFL/GSFL Umpiring Panel have agreed on the following -

> No 6/6/6 set up required - Not adopted
> Kick out changes - Adopted
> Defensive mark inside goalsquare (and out to point posts), mark will be brought out to top of goal square - Adopted
> Runners/Water People only allowed on ground between goals - Not adopted
> 50m penalty, able to play on run to mark - Adopted
> Kicking for goal after siren, kicking off the centre line - Not adopted
> new hands in the back rule - Adopted
> Ruck contest remove prior opportunity - Adopted

Anyone aware of any other leagues doing anything different?
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3482 times

Postby bird of prey » Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:34 pm

BZB27 wrote:This is via the Adelaide footy league site

New rules and interpretations for Adelaide Footy umpires in Season 2019 have been finalised after the League’s General Committee meeting on Monday night. The Football Operations department and Executive Committee put forward recommendations to the League’s clubs which then agreed on what new AFL rules would also be adopted in Adelaide Footy games next year.

Changes to be included will be the new kick-in rules (the defending player can play on from inside the goal square without kicking the ball to themselves), having the player on the mark move back in line with the top of the goal square when there is a mark or free kick behind the kick off line, allowing a player being given a 25m penalty to play on, not considering taking the ball out of the ruck a prior opportunity and getting rid of the hands in the back rule (only paying marking infringements if the player is pushed).

Changes not adopted will be the starting positions rule, restrictions on runners and water carriers, prohibited zones behind umpires and allowing players to kick for a goal after the siren on an angle. Other existing AFL rules will continue to not be used in Adelaide Footy games including ruck nominations, deliberate rushed points and 50m penalties (25m instead).

Adelaide Footy Umpiring Manager Colin Rowston says there has been a great deal of thought put into what is appropriate for local football. “It was important for the League to go through a process to work out what was best for us. While we acknowledge the influence the AFL has on players, coaches, spectators and umpires, it is also clear that not everything that happens at that level can or should be implemented in our games. The challenge will now be to educate everyone involved exactly what is expected in Season 2019.”

One other major change to be implemented next year will be a tightening of the holding the ball rule, with the player who has possession of the ball to be penalised more often if there is seen to be a prior opportunity or if there is not a genuine attempt to dispose of the ball.

A video will be produced to outline these changes, with its release in February so it can be distributed to umpires and clubs before trial games begin. A forum for coaches at all levels will be held at ALDI Arena on the evening of Wednesday February 20 to discuss the rules and interpretations for 2019 in detail.

A summary of the outcome of the recommendations can be found online at http://www.adelaidefootball.com.au/wp-c ... s-2019.pdf

L

The last time I attempted the kick to myself from a kick in I actually kicked the ball over my head and was forced to rush it’s through for another behind. It was 3 years ago, and my own supporters gave me more crap than the opposition did I reckon. This new rule would’ve come in handy for me back then :oops:
bird of prey
Under 18s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 40 times

Postby jo172 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:05 am

laser wrote:
The Dark Knight wrote:

Agree, would’ve been a world record number of ball ups in 2018.

Also led to an increase in dangerous tackles. Blokes would be permitted to hold the ball forever which would increase the likelihood of them eventually getting slung to the ground. It was shocking and good that something is being done to rectify it.
jo172
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1198 times
Been liked: 724 times

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Adelaide Footy League