2018/19 Australian Summer of cricket

First Class Cricket Talk (International and State)

Re: 2018/19 Australian Summer of cricket

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:47 am

Senor Moto Gadili wrote:
helicopterking wrote:You shouldn’t be in the Australian team as a batsmen if
You are not batting in the top 5 for your state.

.... and you shouldn't be in the Australian team if your 1st class average is 18. Finch is not a test cricketer.

Who's averaging 18?
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby heater31 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:05 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Senor Moto Gadili wrote:

.... and you shouldn't be in the Australian team if your 1st class average is 18. Finch is not a test cricketer.

Who's averaging 18?
Certainly not Finch.....his FC average is twice that.
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1259 times

Postby Senor Moto Gadili » Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:13 am

heater31 wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:
Senor Moto Gadili wrote:

Who's averaging 18?
Certainly not Finch.....his FC average is twice that.

It was reported yesterday that Finch's average as an opening bat in shield games for Victoriais is 18,
Senor Moto Gadili
Veteran

Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 532 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:15 am

heater31 wrote:Certainly not Finch.....his FC average is twice that.

Marcus Harris' record prior to this season must've been pretty horrid.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby PatowalongaPirate » Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:01 am

Michael Clarke v Gerard Whateley, Ding Ding :

Here is what Whateley said about Clarke on Wednesday:

"In cricketing terms, Michael Clarke has proven himself the last of the great climate deniers.

"When the cultural review identified the phenomenon of the gilded bubble where elite cricketers existed in a parallel universe blessed with wealth and privilege, oblivious to outside perception and influence, it should’ve posted a photo of the former captain at the bottom of the page.

"Clarke’s interpretation of the predicaments of Australian men’s Test cricket is just breathtaking. That he would continue to rely on 'the line' – the fiction his and subsequent teams used to excuse all manner of boorish behavior – might be the single greatest piece of nonsense over the past nine months.

"Australia didn’t know what or where the line was - that’s how it ended up with sandpaper on the field.

"Tim Paine’s Australia isn’t trying to be the most liked team in world cricket. It is very specifically trying to no longer be the most despised team in world cricket, a scourge that is part of Clarke’s legacy.

"It’s why the Test team ranks last in the research measuring the emotional connection of Australian sports fans to its teams.

"The Test summer before us is a critical moment of recalibration, and Paine and his team are left with the tremendous responsibility to restore the national cricketing character. And they frankly deserve better than what Clarke is espousing.

"To hear it, to read it, it just made me angry. The fundamental lack of understanding of what has taken place.

"And Clarke's hand in it - because you can trace a lot of this back to the moment where Australian cricket chose to install Clarke as captain."

Clarke on Twitter last night :

Pup goes Bang.jpg
Pup goes Bang.jpg (209.48 KiB) Viewed 1032 times
safooty Melbourne Cup Day Tipping Champion 2018 & 2019 #Back2Back
2018 safooty NFL Tipping Champion
PatowalongaPirate
2022 SA Footy Punter of the Year

Has liked: 444 times
Been liked: 1209 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby PatowalongaPirate » Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:06 am

It continues this morning as Clarke has doubled down on his twitter tirade :

Back on Macquarie Sports Radio on Thursday, Clarke said: "When somebody questions or insults my integrity or credibility, that's not for sale. That's not on.

"I think what Gerard has said is completely out of line. Trying to blame me for cheating in South Africa is an absolute disgrace."

Clarke said that he was not condoning cheating or personal abuse by advocating hard cricket, that he backed current Australian Test captain Tim Paine, and said he was prepared to have it out with Whateley personally.

“I stand by every word I’ve said and I’m not the type of person to just say something on social media. If I knew Gerard, I would pick up the phone and call him. I don’t know him from a bar of soap,” Clarke said.

“That’s 100 per cent how I feel [that Whateley is a 'coward']. I look forward to one day saying that to his face."

Gerard has also commented this morning :

"It is a fallacy to say that the only way to play hard, competitive cricket is by being aggressive, abusive and in face of the opposition," Whateley said.

"Competitiveness comes from within and can be done in the right spirit. Many have before and many do right now.

"Australia's quest it indeed to restore respect but without being reviled. That was the descent that began under Clarke.

"Mitch Johnson has written about the toxic culture that developed under Clarke's leadership, the collapse of the sense of team that left some not even wanting to play.

"The Australian cricket team belongs to the nation. Not to a captain, a coach, or those passing through.

"It's a special distinction that comes with an expectation that the team represents and reflects us. It's a truth rediscovered over the past nine months. Tim Paine clearly understands this ... shutting down Clarke's criticisms.

"As for the courage to play ... I had a complete lack of ability, but let's call it courage, I'm pretty sure I know what I'd get from Michael Clarke [Whateley then played the clip of Clarke telling England opponent Jimmy Anderson to 'get ready for a broken f***ing arm']."
PatowalongaPirate

Postby gadj1976 » Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:30 am

Clarko's missed the point IMO. The team behaviour on field (maybe off as well) festered and the style of play potentially encouraged (nay, maybe 'not discouraged') this behaviour under his regime. No, he didn't have the ball tampering occur on his watch but most could see the team unravelling (behaviour wise, not form wise) under his captaincy.

Unless something is specifically discouraged then I think you are in line for an anything goes mentality by players seeking an advantage.
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 795 times
Been liked: 849 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:36 am

gadj1976 wrote:Clarko's missed the point IMO. The team behaviour on field (maybe off as well) festered and the style of play potentially encouraged (nay, maybe 'not discouraged') this behaviour under his regime. No, he didn't have the ball tampering occur on his watch but most could see the team unravelling (behaviour wise, not form wise) under his captaincy.

Unless something is specifically discouraged then I think you are in line for an anything goes mentality by players seeking an advantage.

I grew to love Clarke as a cricketer but couldn't really love him as a captain or a person for that matter, I thought he was a tough guy on the field with hundreds of camera's around, I think Jimmy Anderson would kick his arse in a scrap, if it was Mitchell Johnson ripping into him then it's a different story.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby stan » Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:20 am

Just looking at the Indian team at the moment and whilst I think they'll generally be too good for us I have some questions over there side, mainly the bowling front.

Ashwin is world class and almost impossible to play on Indian decks. His record in Oz isn't staggering.

Shami and Yudeev the fast men. Not great either to be honest. They have a bit of pace between them but have struggled over here. In recent times they have brought over Zaheer Khan and Ishant Sharma who have really bowled well. But these 2, hmmmmmm.

I feel the contest of Hazelwood, Starc, Cummins and Lyon vs the Indian batsmen will be as good as any.

I mean at the moment our tip 6 might make the Indians look good over here but I'm starting to think perhaps we aren't that far back.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1253 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby Booney » Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:26 am

Clarke had me until he said "..if he was talented enough or courageous enough to make it onto a cricket pitch...".

**** you Michael Clarke, very few of us are talented enough to play for Australia, even less of us the honor of captaining our country and to suggest Whateley's opinion is any less valid because he never "made it onto a pitch" is bullshit.

Once a wanker, always a wanker.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby PatowalongaPirate » Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:40 am

stan wrote:Just looking at the Indian team at the moment and whilst I think they'll generally be too good for us I have some questions over there side, mainly the bowling front.

Ashwin is world class and almost impossible to play on Indian decks. His record in Oz isn't staggering.

Shami and Yudeev the fast men. Not great either to be honest. They have a bit of pace between them but have struggled over here. In recent times they have brought over Zaheer Khan and Ishant Sharma who have really bowled well. But these 2, hmmmmmm.

I feel the contest of Hazelwood, Starc, Cummins and Lyon vs the Indian batsmen will be as good as any.

I mean at the moment our tip 6 might make the Indians look good over here but I'm starting to think perhaps we aren't that far back.

Sharma would have to be one of the worst quicks to ever tour Australia. He got Ponting out once and has ridden the coat tails of that wicket for years. This really doesn't bother me if they pick him as he will haemorrhage runs. I can see our bowlers keeping the Indians to around 300-350 in most innings, but then it is up to our batsmen to perform.
PatowalongaPirate

Postby PatowalongaPirate » Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:41 am

Booney wrote:Clarke had me until he said "..if he was talented enough or courageous enough to make it onto a cricket pitch...".

**** you Michael Clarke, very few of us are talented enough to play for Australia, even less of us the honor of captaining our country and to suggest Whateley's opinion is any less valid because he never "made it onto a pitch" is bullshit.

Clarke is a flog of the highest order and has always been self absorbed. The last few days just proves he still lives in a Michael Clarke bubble.
PatowalongaPirate

Postby The Dark Knight » Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:28 am

PatowalongaPirate wrote:
stan wrote:Just looking at the Indian team at the moment and whilst I think they'll generally be too good for us I have some questions over there side, mainly the bowling front.

Sharma would have to be one of the worst quicks to ever tour Australia. He got Ponting out once and has ridden the coat tails of that wicket for years. This really doesn't bother me if they pick him as he will haemorrhage runs. I can see our bowlers keeping the Indians to around 300-350 in most innings, but then it is up to our batsmen to perform.
Sharma- 22 matches against Aus, 48 wickets @46.41 and in Aus, 10 matches, 20 wickets @62.15. He's not much of a threat and Shami, Yadav, Kumar and Bumrah should all be in front of him now anyway.

Personally I rate Yadav, bowls good pace, good lines and moves the ball a bit. Being Indian he rarely gets the ideal conditons at home for fast bowling. His numbers are average but much better than Sharma's, 11 matches against Aus, 42 wickets @35.64 and in Aus, 7 matches, 25 wickets @ 43.96.

I think India should play Kuldeep Yadav instead of Ashwin because our batsman cannot pick him. Ashwin would more of a defensive option in Australia- 6 matches, 21 wickets @54.71 isn't great.

Their batting order is obviously strong but the Aussies will definitely test out Shaw, Rahul and Rohit Sharma, they might be the weak links in the order.
The Dark Knight
Coach

Has liked: 10298 times
Been liked: 1516 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby Mr Beefy » Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:44 am

India's new Tendulkar...
shaw.JPG
shaw.JPG (87.01 KiB) Viewed 899 times
Mr Beefy
Coach

Has liked: 404 times
Been liked: 651 times
Grassroots Team: Rosewater

Postby Booney » Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:02 am

Ouch!
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby Jim05 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:08 am

PatowalongaPirate wrote:
Booney wrote:Clarke had me until he said "..if he was talented enough or courageous enough to make it onto a cricket pitch...".

Clarke is a flog of the highest order and has always been self absorbed. The last few days just proves he still lives in a Michael Clarke bubble.

Not a fan of Clarke but can’t stand Whateley at all
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3534 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby PatowalongaPirate » Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:11 pm

Shaw has returned to the SCG in a moon boot and on crutches, he is surely unlikely to play any part in most of the Test series. I never ever wish injury upon any player, but this works in Australia's favour as he was a certain starter for the Indians.
PatowalongaPirate

Postby The Bedge » Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:37 pm

He’ll be right for Boxing Day
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3188 times
Been liked: 3989 times

Postby northerner » Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:04 pm

PatowalongaPirate wrote:……... I can see our bowlers keeping the Indians to around 300-350 in most innings, but then it is up to our batsmen to perform.

:( :( :( :( :( :(
northerner
Reserves

Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 429 times
Grassroots Team: Eastern Park

Postby Q. » Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:46 pm

Clarke has always been poison
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Cricket