2018/19 Australian Summer of cricket

First Class Cricket Talk (International and State)

Re: 2018/19 Australian Summer of cricket

Postby David Brent » Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:41 pm

Bombers4EVA wrote:How about we stop talking about Smith and Warner and talk about the upcoming Ashes tour in England where we really need to start preparing NOW for the conditions over there. We really struggle in overcast conditions against swing and seam bowlers. And we dont have a bowler who can bowl to those conditions or the Australian selectors dont want to use them.

I think Worrell might sneak on the plane over for the Ashes. Was speaking to some people in the know at a bar Sat night of the test & the general vibe is he's rated more highly than Sayers by most at the top level.
If you can keep your head when all around you have lost theirs, then you probably haven't understood the seriousness of the situation.
David Brent
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 98 times
Been liked: 161 times

Postby The Dark Knight » Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:09 pm

Bombers4EVA wrote:How about we stop talking about Smith and Warner and talk about the upcoming Ashes tour in England where we really need to start preparing NOW for the conditions over there. We really struggle in overcast conditions against swing and seam bowlers. And we dont have a bowler who can bowl to those conditions or the Australian selectors dont want to use them.

This has to be your best post in this topic.

Agree to a certain extent, worry about and plan for the current series then as soon as it's ended everything should be done to prepare and organise for the Ashes.
The Dark Knight
Coach

Has liked: 10298 times
Been liked: 1516 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby PatowalongaPirate » Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:19 pm

Yep. Focus on now. We need to at least draw this home Test series. I do not want to be around the first time India win a series in Australia.
safooty Melbourne Cup Day Tipping Champion 2018 & 2019 #Back2Back
2018 safooty NFL Tipping Champion
PatowalongaPirate
2022 SA Footy Punter of the Year

Has liked: 444 times
Been liked: 1209 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby The Dark Knight » Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:42 pm

northerner wrote:
Booney wrote:
mal wrote:India winning the first is MORE to do with 2 of Australias greatest ever batsmen Steve Smith and David Warner being unavailable
Have a LOOK at the last series these 2 teams played in Australia
Take special note at how many runs the 2 stars made

This is purely a hypothetical
Imagine Smith and Warner playing in the Adelaide test and Kohli and Pujara did not
The teams were rated about equal favs in Adelaide
Make the 4 changes , Australia would be clear fav and probable winner

I can blame 20/20 to a certain/small extent, as an overall
But this fist test loss has little to do with 20/20 scheduling, thats because the BBL has not started as yet
The states have played 5 SS games before the first test, and one during ,thats a reasonable preparation for enough players

The BBL will/might make a BIGger difference from now on, with no SS matches until February

Mal, the reason we're shit without Smith and Warner is our next crop of batsman have poor techniques, no patience and simply don't bat well in long form cricket. Warner is the exception, not the rule.

Finch's first innings dismissal, going hard at the 3rd ball of the innings, the fact Handscombe is playing at all ( There's a text book for a reason, Peter, ever seen any of the world's best batsman play like you do? No. ) shows the flaws in our domestic scene. Nobody stands out at the next level.

Remember when Jamie Siddons, Stuart Law, Martin Love, Darren Lehmann, Jimmy Maher, Hodge, Di Venuto, Cox and I could go on and on were biding their time in the Shield waiting for a Test spot?

Correct. As I mentioned before, David Hookes had to rattle up 5 centuries in 6 Sheffield Shield Innings to get a Test call up.
Now we see media claim the selectors made a mistake not picking Renshaw because he carted a Grade attack for 350 odd. (Lets not worry about him not making one single decent score in SS this season).

Warner and Smith's exclusion has highlighted our lack of batting maestros. We have guys playing atm who are not up to it, but nothing to replace them with.
Without doubt, the worst crop of batting talent since forever, without question.
And the reason is clearly the Twenty 20 format which seduces talented lads away from technique in the quest for their Andy Warhol moment.

This problem is not unique to us. If India didn't have Kholi and Pujara they would be in similar strife. Their other batsmen all play sensibly for 4 or 5 balls and then attempt to smack the Bejesus out of the next one. Despite their troubles on Day One, how many sixes did they belt? And don't get me started on Pant's efforts... almost bordering on disrespectful to Test cricket the way he bats.
Good point Northerner, take out each teams 2 best batsmen and they're all in a fair amount of strife too. The guys in the test team at the moment are trying their best but are not completely up to it at international level and the depth of first class level is not really there, it's sad to watch. I very much look forward to Smith coming back hes a jet and we need him, with Warner I'm not fussed if he comes back in or not.
The Dark Knight
Coach

Has liked: 10298 times
Been liked: 1516 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby westozfalcon » Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:16 pm

David Brent wrote:

I think Worrell might sneak on the plane over for the Ashes. Was speaking to some people in the know at a bar Sat night of the test & the general vibe is he's rated more highly than Sayers by most at the top level.

If fit, Worrall is a certainty for the Ashes squad.
westozfalcon
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 113 times
Been liked: 28 times

Postby Dutchy » Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:05 pm

Key Stats

*Australia have lost consecutive tests at home only once in the past seven years.

*In their past six tests, Australia’s average score in their first innings of the match is 217.

*Between them, Australia’s four frontline bowlers have taken 115 wickets in tests this year.

*India haven’t won consecutive tests outside of Asia since 2006.

*In their past six away tests, India’s average score in their first innings of the match is 254.

*Between them, India’s four frontline bowlers have averaged 24.87 in tests this year.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3482 times

Postby northerner » Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:41 am

Quoting Jake Weatherald, sums up the mindset of talented youngsters and why they (and sadly Jake included) cannot ever be considered Test batsmen.

"I enjoy the quicker the better to be honest, going out there and expressing yourself as much as possible...Four day cricket can be a bit daunting when you have to sit there and bat long periods of time. T20 you just go go out there and do your best and whatever happens, happens"

Test cricket is doomed.
northerner
Reserves

Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 429 times
Grassroots Team: Eastern Park

Postby Booney » Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:52 am

Other than the fact we've still got 3 Tests to play against India and then 2 against Sri Lanka to sort out our most troubled department, the top order and that Smith and Warner will be crucial to our Ashes chances you're right, I think.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby Booney » Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:03 am

northerner wrote:Quoting Jake Weatherald, sums up the mindset of talented youngsters and why they (and sadly Jake included) cannot ever be considered Test batsmen.

"I enjoy the quicker the better to be honest, going out there and expressing yourself as much as possible...Four day cricket can be a bit daunting when you have to sit there and bat long periods of time. T20 you just go go out there and do your best and whatever happens, happens"

Test cricket is doomed.

Of course it is, 50 over cricket is already dead.

Within 5 years Tests will be 4 days and we can all use that extra day to talk about how great T20 is.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Spargo » Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:08 am

Booney wrote:
northerner wrote:Quoting Jake Weatherald, sums up the mindset of talented youngsters and why they (and sadly Jake included) cannot ever be considered Test batsmen.

Test cricket is doomed.

Within 5 years Tests will be 4 days and we can all use that extra day to talk about how great T20 is.

Warnie has already suggested 4 day tests. Increasing the overs in a day to 100.
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ

Don’t lose your grip on the dreams of the past
You must fight just to keep them alive...
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5457 times
Been liked: 5089 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby Booney » Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:12 am

Spargo wrote:
Booney wrote:

Test cricket is doomed.

Warnie has already suggested 4 day tests. Increasing the overs in a day to 100.

Good idea, they get through 90 in a day so easily now. :lol:
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby RB » Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:03 pm

So apparently the test tomorrow is scheduled to start at 10.20 local time tomorrow.

Not sure if I've ever heard of a test not starting right on the hour or half hour.
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 759 times
Been liked: 1073 times

Postby Booney » Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:07 pm

RB wrote:So apparently the test tomorrow is scheduled to start at 10.20 local time tomorrow.

Not sure if I've ever heard of a test not starting right on the hour or half hour.

10:20 Perth is 1:20 Eastern

1:20-3:20 first session
3:20-4:00 lunch
4:00-6:00 middle session and Bingo it's the News in the tea break at 6pm.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:11 pm

Booney wrote:
RB wrote:So apparently the test tomorrow is scheduled to start at 10.20 local time tomorrow.

It baffles me how they take a 40 minute break for lunch and twenty minutes for tea, would be better to go 30/30 or 20/40, at least you could have a tub in the afternoon to get through the last session.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby Booney » Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:12 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Booney wrote:

It baffles me how they take a 40 minute break for lunch and twenty minutes for tea, would be better to go 30/30 or 20/40, at least you could have a tub in the afternoon to get through the last session.

Yes, and no, as a bowler you don't want 40 minutes off late in the day where you cool right down and then have to get going again.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Spangas » Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:14 pm

Test cricket is doomed.

Play for extra years without too much stress on your body making big, big $$$$$ in T20. No surprise they enjoy it more than Test Cricket.
I apologise.
Spangas
Under 16s

Has liked: 118 times
Been liked: 103 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:19 pm

Booney wrote:
Yes, and no, as a bowler you don't want 40 minutes off late in the day where you cool right down and then have to get going again.

It's just as crap either way, once you have a spell it's really tiring to come back and deliver with the same pace and venom as before, any break of more than 10-15 overs and it will take two or three overs to get anywhere near it.

I know I used to like just carrying on even into my twentieth successive over as I'd lack what I needed if I wanted to go again later in the day, if I could have a bath in the afternoon it would make more of a difference than it would during the lunch break.

It's one thing that I really admire about the fast bowlers, sometimes it would take me a few days to get over my ails, they have to back it up the next morning if the opposition are still batting.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Booney » Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:27 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Booney wrote:

It's just as crap either way, once you have a spell it's really tiring to come back and deliver with the same pace and venom as before, any break of more than 10-15 overs and it will take two or three overs to get anywhere near it.

I know I used to like just carrying on even into my twentieth successive over as I'd lack what I needed if I wanted to go again later in the day, if I could have a bath in the afternoon it would make more of a difference than it would during the lunch break.

It's one thing that I really admire about the fast bowlers, sometimes it would take me a few days to get over my ails, they have to back it up the next morning if the opposition are still batting.

Difference between what you and I played and Test cricket is we would have never bowled a 5 over opening spell, wouldn't give the ball up that easily!

Sure, bowl 12-15 straight but that was it for me, no coming back after that, but if you bowled 5 to start with, 5 before tea, you could easily back up for another 5 at least later in the day.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:30 pm

Booney wrote:
Difference between what you and I played and Test cricket is we would have never bowled a 5 over opening spell, wouldn't give the ball up that easily!

Sure, bowl 12-15 straight but that was it for me, no coming back after that, but if you bowled 5 to start with, 5 before tea, you could easily back up for another 5 at least later in the day.

Not sure DK would've been too thrilled coming off inside the 20th over either, times have changed.

The Windies were in a class of their own as their run ups were so relaxed, with Marshall being the exception.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Booney » Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:33 pm

The Perth wicket.

PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach