2018/19 Australian Summer of cricket

First Class Cricket Talk (International and State)

Re: 2018/19 Australian Summer of cricket

Postby PatowalongaPirate » Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:53 pm

If we are any chance of winning this Test we will probably have to be around 0/186 at stumps.
safooty Melbourne Cup Day Tipping Champion 2018 & 2019 #Back2Back
2018 safooty NFL Tipping Champion
PatowalongaPirate
2022 SA Footy Punter of the Year

Has liked: 444 times
Been liked: 1209 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby carey » Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:54 pm

Regulation catch
you've gota keep on keep'n on .........
carey
Coach

Has liked: 2796 times
Been liked: 2985 times
Grassroots Team: Paralowie

Postby Brodlach » Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:54 pm

PatowalongaPirate wrote:If we are any chance of winning this Test we will probably have to be around 0/186 at stumps.

That would be an entertaining 10 overs
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4206 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby Computer Crashed » Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:01 pm

The Dark Knight wrote:
PatowalongaPirate wrote:The return of veterans Peter Siddle, Nathan Lyon and Usman Khawaja headline Australia's 14-man revamped squad for the upcoming three-match Gillette ODI Series against India.

Batsmen Travis Head, Chris Lynn, D'Arcy Short and Ben McDermott and allrounder Ashton Agar have all been omitted, with the Test trio of Mitch Starc, Josh Hazlewood and Pat Cummins ordered to rest.

Fast bowler Nathan Coulter-Nile has been left out after suffering lower back soreness recently.

Only skipper Aaron Finch, vice-captain Alex Carey, Shaun Marsh, Glenn Maxwell, Marcus Stoinis and Adam Zampa have survived.

Australia ODI squad: Aaron Finch (c), Jason Behrendorff, Alex Carey (wk), Peter Handscomb, Usman Khawaja, Nathan Lyon, Mitch Marsh, Shaun Marsh, Glenn Maxwell, Jhye Richardson, Peter Siddle, Billy Stanlake, Marcus Stoinis, Adam Zampa

Lyon and Khawaja back in the squad is a positive move, not so sure about Siddle but he seems like the type of guy that surprises the doubters. Head real unlucky! Surprised he was left out. I'm glad Lynn has been dropped, he is simply not up to ODI level and Short is probably not there as an ODI batsman just yet.

Coutler-Nile back soreness LOL, just when he gets really up and going he gets bloody injured! I like Richardson and Behrendorff in there but not Stanlake, yeah he bowls 145/150 kmph but can bowl some absolute trash at times.

Stanlake has had an interrupted lead up to the 20/20s with some lack of fitness being able to be built up.
He is getting fitter by the week, if no injuries he should be bowling much better very soon.
Computer Crashed
Reserves

Has liked: 213 times
Been liked: 124 times
Grassroots Team: Moonta

Postby Grenville » Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:03 pm

daysofourlives wrote:
Bum Crack wrote:And people want Warner back in the team. He's the main reason Australia find themselves in this position.

Bullshit

I detest Warner as much as any person who has ever walked the earth but he is not the only reason. We learned nothing from the West Indies decline. They had an era of great players and rested on their laurels or just plain neglected the game domestically and at grass roots level, and paid the price. We have done similarly. Culturally the decline started with Michael Clarke when vice captain, watching him giggle at second slip whilst we were struggling under Ponting made we worry what we were getting ourselves into. The Arthur sacking showed the players had far too much power and sway, they got him sacked for someone they could manipulate. The powers that be were too spineless/didn't care to intervene as they were only concerned with winning/$$$$$$$$. Warner was allowed to fester in this environment and he flourished as a complete and utter cancerous f***wit. He is the tumour they allowed to grow.
Grenville
Veteran

Has liked: 262 times
Been liked: 761 times

Postby Grenville » Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:08 pm

Brodlach wrote:
PatowalongaPirate wrote:If we are any chance of winning this Test we will probably have to be around 0/186 at stumps.

Warne was saying we should declare behind and see if Kohli will set us a target. Why would he, they can just bat out the game and be the 1st Indian Test team to win a series in Australia. Why would he risk that?
Grenville
Veteran

Has liked: 262 times
Been liked: 761 times

Postby locky801 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:10 pm

Grenville wrote:
Brodlach wrote:

Warne was saying we should declare behind and see if Kohli will set us a target. Why would he, they can just bat out the game and be the 1st Indian Test team to win a series in Australia. Why would he risk that?

in fairness to Warne he did say after we passed the follow on target of 412, lets see if we can get their first :D
You cant change your past but you can sure hell shape you future
locky801
Coach

Has liked: 3645 times
Been liked: 1160 times

Postby Computer Crashed » Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:10 pm

Aust batsmen are a million miles away from the Indian's.
Our bowlers don't get any rest, wasn't surprised at all to see what has happened in the past 7 days of Test Cricket.
Graham Hick can take the next bus home, no return.
CA have screwed up our test team in the pursuit of $$$$$$$$$$$, everyone knows it but the big question is what are they going to do about it.
Well played India, strong leadership and pure love for the game.
Computer Crashed
Reserves

Has liked: 213 times
Been liked: 124 times
Grassroots Team: Moonta

Postby carey » Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:10 pm

Grenville wrote:
Brodlach wrote:

Shane Warne is a f**ing moron.
you've gota keep on keep'n on .........
carey
Coach

Has liked: 2796 times
Been liked: 2985 times
Grassroots Team: Paralowie

Postby locky801 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:15 pm

carey wrote:
Grenville wrote:
Brodlach wrote:

Shane Warne is a f**ing moron.

a very rich one :D
You cant change your past but you can sure hell shape you future
locky801
Coach

Has liked: 3645 times
Been liked: 1160 times

Postby valleys07 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:30 pm

0/24. Damn, i'm not sure if we are going to win now.
“Think of me like Yoda, but instead of being little and green I wear suits and I'm awesome. I'm your bro—I'm Broda!”

HOGG Shield 2015 Division I Premiers.
HOGG Shield 2017 Premier League Premiers.
valleys07
Coach

Has liked: 767 times
Been liked: 1168 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby jackpot jim » Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:47 pm

Grenville wrote:
Brodlach wrote:

Warne realistically knows Aust are NO HOPE of winning but was just offering thoughts of the ONLY way they could possibly win.
And yes, that would involve Kohli being generous to set them a target that wont happen.
Then again, what reason did Kohli have to declare when he did if all he was concerned about was NOT losing the Test? Obviously still wants to win it but certainly wont take any unnecessary risks to do it like making generous declarations.
Personally i dont see them needing to. Unless theres significant loss of time through rain, it should be 3 - 1 India
jackpot jim
Coach

Has liked: 339 times
Been liked: 444 times

Postby whufc » Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:54 pm

We don’t beat this Indian team even if the selectors got it all right and picked our best 11 available
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5565 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby The Dark Knight » Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:52 pm

Computer Crashed wrote:
The Dark Knight wrote:
PatowalongaPirate wrote:The return of veterans Peter Siddle, Nathan Lyon and Usman Khawaja headline Australia's 14-man revamped squad for the upcoming three-match Gillette ODI Series against India.

Batsmen Travis Head, Chris Lynn, D'Arcy Short and Ben McDermott and allrounder Ashton Agar have all been omitted, with the Test trio of Mitch Starc, Josh Hazlewood and Pat Cummins ordered to rest.

Fast bowler Nathan Coulter-Nile has been left out after suffering lower back soreness recently.

Only skipper Aaron Finch, vice-captain Alex Carey, Shaun Marsh, Glenn Maxwell, Marcus Stoinis and Adam Zampa have survived.

Australia ODI squad: Aaron Finch (c), Jason Behrendorff, Alex Carey (wk), Peter Handscomb, Usman Khawaja, Nathan Lyon, Mitch Marsh, Shaun Marsh, Glenn Maxwell, Jhye Richardson, Peter Siddle, Billy Stanlake, Marcus Stoinis, Adam Zampa

Lyon and Khawaja back in the squad is a positive move, not so sure about Siddle but he seems like the type of guy that surprises the doubters. Head real unlucky! Surprised he was left out. I'm glad Lynn has been dropped, he is simply not up to ODI level and Short is probably not there as an ODI batsman just yet.

Coutler-Nile back soreness LOL, just when he gets really up and going he gets bloody injured! I like Richardson and Behrendorff in there but not Stanlake, yeah he bowls 145/150 kmph but can bowl some absolute trash at times.

Stanlake has had an interrupted lead up to the 20/20s with some lack of fitness being able to be built up.
He is getting fitter by the week, if no injuries he should be bowling much better very soon.

Trader Posted this in the BBL thread-

Trader wrote:Stanlake can go, that's a win for mine.
2/50 (4), 2/43 (4), 1/18 (4), 0/25 (2), 2/27 (4).

7/163 (18)

Given that the average score this year has been closer to 140, he's a liability.

I know T20 is real hit and miss but this is really the only form we can go off? It looks like he is starting to come good so you're probably right which is a positive sign but I still think he bowls more loosely and tends to bowl more trash than other fast bowling options.

I'll be real happy if he surpirses me and kills it against India as he has the attributes to be a decent ODI bowler, time will tell.
Last edited by The Dark Knight on Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Dark Knight
Coach

Has liked: 10298 times
Been liked: 1516 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby The Dark Knight » Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:55 pm

.ImageImage
The Dark Knight
Coach

Has liked: 10298 times
Been liked: 1516 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby Q. » Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:21 pm

Would've been nice to win the toss at Sydney or Melbourne to see how we batted on some the most docile pitches I've ever seen served up for the first two days of a match in Australia. Curators doing their best to ensure matches go into a fifth day.

I'll forgive the snoozefests if I get to see Harris or Head hit a century tomorrow.
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby RB » Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:23 pm

whufc wrote:We don’t beat this Indian team even if the selectors got it all right and picked our best 11 available
I'm not so sure about that. We won in Perth and were pretty close in Adelaide.

The Indians have had plenty of passengers fly under the radar this tour. With our best team they're beatable in Australia, IMO. In India we would have no chance though.

This had been one of those series where whoever wins the toss goes on to win.
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 759 times
Been liked: 1073 times

Postby Brodlach » Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:25 pm

Swap Warner and Smith in for Kohli and Pujara and the series is completely reversed
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4206 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby heater31 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:28 pm

RB wrote:
whufc wrote:We don’t beat this Indian team even if the selectors got it all right and picked our best 11 available
I'm not so sure about that. We won in Perth and were pretty close in Adelaide.

The Indians have had plenty of passengers fly under the radar this tour. With our best team they're beatable in Australia, IMO. In Indian we would have no chance though.

Australia has beaten them 4 times since 1956 away from home. India are on the cusp of doing it for the first time. So 5 series in 70 years has gone to the visiting team.
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1259 times

Postby whufc » Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:04 pm

locky801 wrote:
Grenville wrote:
Brodlach wrote:

in fairness to Warne he did say after we passed the follow on target of 412, lets see if we can get their first :D

Agree with Warne if we batted to get a first innings lead the 3rd innings wouldn’t start until lunch day 5 at very least.

If we pass the follow on declare, who knows what Kohli will do but the only way we could win is if they set us a score. That’s more of a chance than hitting 650-700 and having time left in the game albeit unlikely.

Unfortunately that’s the situation your in when the team batting first scores over 600.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5565 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Cricket