2018/19 Australian Summer of cricket

First Class Cricket Talk (International and State)

Re: 2018/19 Australian Summer of cricket

Postby Q. » Sat Jan 05, 2019 3:53 pm

When was the last time we went a home test series without someone scoring a century?
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby northerner » Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:13 pm

Q. wrote:When was the last time we went a home test series without someone scoring a century?

And heres the answer to your question re patience and concentration and the Aussie cricketer.

Harris had a ton on toast. Brain fade.
Head has ability... every innings this series he has made a start. Yet he has a litany of brain fades that are surely concentration lapses.
The list of examples is endless.
A great example of mindset would be to compare the leaves of Indian batsmen compared to ours. If we leave two we feel a compulsion to belt the next.

India are showing on the field what is required for Test cricket. But its the struggles that these guys overcame to get to Test level that sets them above us. Ours do not want to do the hard yards. It's the same generation who is walking away from SANFL footy aged 25 to play country footy. They aint interested in pushing themselves when the rewards are ample with less work required.

Aussie culture is softer than that of India. And the result is on show atm.
northerner
Reserves

Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 429 times
Grassroots Team: Eastern Park

Postby locky801 » Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:16 pm

Q. wrote:When was the last time we went a home test series without someone scoring a century?

has never happened in a 4 test series, cant find an answer about any 5 or more test series as yet
You cant change your past but you can sure hell shape you future
locky801
Coach

Has liked: 3645 times
Been liked: 1160 times

Postby Q. » Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:21 pm

northerner wrote:

And heres the answer to your question re patience and concentration and the Aussie cricketer.

Head has ability... every innings this series he has made a start. Yet he has a litany of brain fades that are surely concentration lapses.
A great example of mindset would be to compare the leaves of Indian batsmen compared to ours. If we leave two we feel a compulsion to belt the next.

India are showing on the field what is required for Test cricket. But its the struggles that these guys overcame to get to Test level that sets them above us. Ours do not want to do the hard yards. It's the same generation who is walking away from SANFL footy aged 25 to play country footy. They aint interested in pushing themselves when the rewards are ample with less work required.

Harris and Head have ten tests between them and you expect them to bat with the mastery of Pujara?

You're the one lacking patience.
Q.
Coach

Postby Jase » Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:23 pm

Was just watching the Foxtel coverage with Skull and Warney giving their top 6 for the Ashes... both went Harris, Warner, Khawaja, Smith, Marsh and then Skull went Head, Warne said Stoinis...

Now they both picked Marsh at 5... have they been watching different cricket for the past 2 or so years ?

Warney actually said he'll get better... Hey? What the actual heck is going on... have the Marsh family got some sort of magical power over everyone in Australian cricket?

I'm an England fan, so I hope he plays in the Ashes, but I just don't get it...

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Jase
League - Best 21

Has liked: 1476 times
Been liked: 550 times

Postby whufc » Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:24 pm

Q. wrote:
locky801 wrote:
Q. wrote:
northerner wrote:And there lies the issues... not selectors nor coaches or pitches. Our generation of youngsters lack the persistence patience and concentration. They cannot be bothered learning (unless its a gamer on youtube) and have no motivation to aspire as they have all they need as it is.

This is an absurd generalization

as they said on the ABC yesterday, kids cricket these days up to U14';s are only allowed to make 20 or bat 4 overs, how can they learn patience and concentration as a younger player with crap rules like that.

Its all about the quick bash and quick grab for cash, kids and parents dont want to spend hours on end on a weekend playing/watching cricket when it can all be done and dusted in a few hours, sad but true
Are teenagers incapable of learning the art of patience?

Patience is extremly difficult to train. We see this in the health and fitness industry all the time, it’s easy to train one on how to do a bench press or dead lift but extremly extremly hard to encourage/train and motivate one to continue training the amount of time required to see results.

From my understanding patience is generally taught at an extremly early developmental age and even if one becomes more patient as a teenager/adult their preference is to still not be patient

We live in a fast food society unfortunately. The amount of times I will have someone and in a lot of cases 13-25 year olds message our work Facebook page to then send a secondary message 5 minutes later saying ?????. This despite the fact it’s generally at 9,10,11pm
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5565 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby locky801 » Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:49 pm

Jase wrote:
Warney actually said he'll get better... Hey? What the actual heck is going on... have the Marsh family got some sort of magical power over everyone in Australian cricket?

well lets be honest he can't get any worse ;)
You cant change your past but you can sure hell shape you future
locky801
Coach

Has liked: 3645 times
Been liked: 1160 times

Postby Grenville » Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:29 pm

locky801 wrote:
Jase wrote:

well lets be honest he can't get any worse ;)

Well put sir, well put.
Grenville
Veteran

Has liked: 262 times
Been liked: 761 times

Postby RB » Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:02 pm

Jase wrote:Warney actually said he'll get better... Hey? What the actual heck is going on... have the Marsh family got some sort of magical power over everyone in Australian cricket?

It's a cult, plain and simple.
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 759 times
Been liked: 1073 times

Postby northerner » Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:27 pm

Q. wrote:
northerner wrote:

Harris and Head have ten tests between them and you expect them to bat with the mastery of Pujara?

Mate you are proving my point. Harris is 26 and Head is 25. Guys that age were much more advanced in Aussie Test teams 15 yrs ago.
And just to further my point about this being a cultural phenomenon... Pant showed plenty of patience in his knock yesterday. Age... 21.
Privthi Shaw has played two tests for India against England IN England. Scored 134 in one hit. Age... 18.
I aint comparing Head and Harris to Pujara. I am comparing the youngest team members of both sides... and the Indian 18 to 21 yr olds have far more patience and concentration than the Aussies in their mid 20s.
northerner
Reserves

Postby Grenville » Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:56 pm

RB wrote:
Jase wrote:Warney actually said he'll get better... Hey? What the actual heck is going on... have the Marsh family got some sort of magical power over everyone in Australian cricket?

It's a cult, plain and simple.

Indeed it is, hopefully by the time he's 78 his Test average will be over 40. Or more likely still nicking out to Bumrah's first born.
Grenville
Veteran

Has liked: 262 times
Been liked: 761 times

Postby Yank Man » Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:01 pm

Why do we keep going back to to the old failures. The Marsh boys, see ya. Take a risk on the young kids for a few years and accept they will make a few mistakes along the way. Harris is OK and I’d persist with him for now. Smith and Warner will get back in eventually and the young ones will learn from them. It’s embarassing to watch frankly. I know it’s difficult but it was easy anybody would be doing it.
Yank Man
League - Top 5

Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 316 times
Grassroots Team: Edwardstown

2018/19 Australian Summer of cricket

Postby Sharksta » Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:14 pm

I’d be interested to know if there has been a shift in the average age of our shield cricketers. It seems like with more money on offer, guys are sticking around longer & less players are getting exposed at a younger age.
Sharksta
Rookie

Has liked: 476 times
Been liked: 58 times

Postby Q. » Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:49 pm

northerner wrote:
Q. wrote:
northerner wrote:

Mate you are proving my point. Harris is 26 and Head is 25. Guys that age were much more advanced in Aussie Test teams 15 yrs ago.
And just to further my point about this being a cultural phenomenon... Pant showed plenty of patience in his knock yesterday. Age... 21.
Privthi Shaw has played two tests for India against England IN England. Scored 134 in one hit. Age... 18.
I aint comparing Head and Harris to Pujara. I am comparing the youngest team members of both sides... and the Indian 18 to 21 yr olds have far more patience and concentration than the Aussies in their mid 20s.

Hardly - a couple of anecdotal examples isn't the same as robust statistical evidence.

The only cultural phenomenon likely to be witnessed is that the statistical probability that India's population of 1.3 billion produced generationally gifted cricketers completely dwarfs the statistical probability of Australia's 25 million population being able to produce them.
Q.
Coach

Postby Q. » Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:53 pm

whufc wrote:Patience is extremly difficult to train. We see this in the health and fitness industry all the time, it’s easy to train one on how to do a bench press or dead lift but extremly extremly hard to encourage/train and motivate one to continue training the amount of time required to see results.

From my understanding patience is generally taught at an extremly early developmental age and even if one becomes more patient as a teenager/adult their preference is to still not be patient

We live in a fast food society unfortunately. The amount of times I will have someone and in a lot of cases 13-25 year olds message our work Facebook page to then send a secondary message 5 minutes later saying ?????. This despite the fact it’s generally at 9,10,11pm

Patience is also genetically expressed. But social patience isn't the same as being patient in the middle of a cricket pitch at an elite level of sport - that is something that can be trained via time spent in the middle of a cricket pitch at an elite level of sport.
Q.
Coach

Postby northerner » Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:48 pm

Q. wrote:
northerner wrote:
Q. wrote:
Hardly - a couple of anecdotal examples isn't the same as robust statistical evidence.

The only cultural phenomenon likely to be witnessed is that the statistical probability that India's population of 1.3 billion produced generationally gifted cricketers completely dwarfs the statistical probability of Australia's 25 million population being able to produce them.

A couple of anecdotal...? Ok. Name me ANY young cricketer we have who has the patience persistence and concentration AS WELL AS THE MOTIVATION to be a Test cricketer. Because I cannot think of ONE... thats a fact. Out of a very large sample size.

Another example... anecodotal if you wish but it shows why our latest generation do not have what it takes to be Test cricketers ... Jake Weatharld. Made it publicly known he much prefers BBL to red ball cricket. Because its done and dusted and then you can start again. And he also said he found it very hard to concentrate over the length of time needed in longer forms of the game.

I might suggest a solid statistical base is found in our batting averages across the first class level.

Let me know if you can think of ONE young Aussie who shows the mental skills AND has the aspiration to be a Test cricketer. Cos I cannot. Meanwhile India have them left right and centre. Now clearly they have a far larger population to select from but thats always been the case. I maintain that guys like Pujara and Bumrah and harbajhan Singh have so much more to gain for themselves and their families by working their way out of the castes that their families are consigned to than we have in our society. We have it good whatever... For Indians its a lifeline. And so it matters so much more.
northerner
Reserves

Postby The Dark Knight » Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:09 am

A nice snapshot of the past to put a smile on our facesImage
The Dark Knight
Coach

Has liked: 10298 times
Been liked: 1516 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby Spargo » Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:50 am

The Dark Knight wrote:A nice snapshot of the past to put a smile on our facesImage

Only one of those players there is currently in our test side.
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ

Don’t lose your grip on the dreams of the past
You must fight just to keep them alive...
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5457 times
Been liked: 5089 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby The Dark Knight » Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:18 am

Saw this last night, ODI results in 2018 and wow just hits home how far we've fallen.Image
The Dark Knight
Coach

Has liked: 10298 times
Been liked: 1516 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby Armchair expert » Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:07 am

Our ODI is a complete mess, good luck to anyone that can name our starting 11 in the WC

Warner
Finch
Usman
Smarsh
Smith
Head
Carey
Starc
Cummins
Zampa
Hazlewood

Plenty missing out Short Lynn Lyon Stoinis Marsh NCN Behrendorff Maxwell Richarson Siddle Stanlake Tye
Dave Warner will be missed!
Armchair expert
Coach

Has liked: 379 times
Been liked: 1414 times
Grassroots Team: Ports

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Cricket