Soooooo, how's this weather?

Anything!

Re: Soooooo, how's this weather?

Postby Pseudo » Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:03 am

amber_fluid wrote:
Bum Crack wrote:Freezing my tits off here in the office. Bloody beautiful

It’s funny how us ‘office’ workers are talking about it being hot and 44 degrees tomorrow.
How the hell would we know.

www.bom.gov.au

Beats looking out of the window! :lol:
Clowns OUT. Smears OUT. RESIST THE OCCUPATION.
Pseudo
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1557 times
Grassroots Team: Marion

Postby Booney » Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:06 am

heater31 wrote:Swampys begin to lose their effectiveness at about 38 degrees from memory.....at 45 degrees totally useless!

Yes, and no.

Hot dry outside air is drawn in by a fan through a wet cooling pad, this process takes the heat out of the air before being pumped into the building.

In dry climates, like ours, this also adds moisture to the air giving more comfort to the building occupants. ( Relative humidity of about 45% is good for most people ).

The cooling potential for evaporative coolers is dependent upon the difference between dry-bulb and wet-bulb temperatures. ( Dry-bulb is dry thermometer shielded from radiation and humidity and wet-bulb is a thermometer covered in a wet towel with air passing over it ).

Your cooler at home should reduce the outside air temperature to within 3-4°c of the wet-bulb temperature. If the difference between dry-bulb and wet-bulb is too high then the coolers ability to take the heat out of the dry air is reduced.

In essence the air being drawn in from outside is still being cooled and saturated but not enough to get the temperature closer to wet-bulb than dry-bulb, thus you "feel" like it isn't working, it is but not as well.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7493 times
Been liked: 10776 times

Postby Bum Crack » Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:34 am

Booney wrote:
heater31 wrote:Swampys begin to lose their effectiveness at about 38 degrees from memory.....at 45 degrees totally useless!

Yes, and no.

Hot dry outside air is drawn in by a fan through a wet cooling pad, this process takes the heat out of the air before being pumped into the building.

In dry climates, like ours, this also adds moisture to the air giving more comfort to the building occupants. ( Relative humidity of about 45% is good for most people ).

The cooling potential for evaporative coolers is dependent upon the difference between dry-bulb and wet-bulb temperatures. ( Dry-bulb is dry thermometer shielded from radiation and humidity and wet-bulb is a thermometer covered in a wet towel with air passing over it ).

Your cooler at home should reduce the outside air temperature to within 3-4°c of the wet-bulb temperature. If the difference between dry-bulb and wet-bulb is too high then the coolers ability to take the heat out of the dry air is reduced.

In essence the air being drawn in from outside is still being cooled and saturated but not enough to get the temperature closer to wet-bulb than dry-bulb, thus you "feel" like it isn't working, it is but not as well.

Evaporative air conditioners are shit. End of story
Last edited by Bum Crack on Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
So you've seen everything have you?
Yep
Have you ever seen a man eat his own head?
No
Well you haven't seen everything then have you.
Bum Crack
Coach

Has liked: 320 times
Been liked: 890 times
Grassroots Team: Berri

Postby Booney » Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:35 am

Bum Crack wrote:
Booney wrote:

Yes, and no.

Evaporative air conditioners and shit. End of story

:lol:
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby The Dark Knight » Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:39 am

Lol the old wet bulb, that was used in the 'hot work policy' where I used to work, it's a load of shit and so was their whole the hot work policy. As a tradie unless you have a good employer who has a decent hot work policy you're on a hiding to nothing. But that's just the way it goes as a blue collar worker.

I really think people get overawed by the highest temperature prediction, it's going to be around that temperature anywhere from 2.30-4.30 which is or is close to knock off time so people aren't exposed to it as much as they anticipate.

The thing I find most difficult with the heat is when it's 25-30 at 6.30-7.30 in the morning when I'm starting work (and your sweating before 8am). That shit is f**ked and you feel like there's no escape.
The Dark Knight
Coach

Has liked: 10340 times
Been liked: 1520 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby amber_fluid » Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:40 am

Bum Crack wrote:
Booney wrote:

Yes, and no.

Evaporative air conditioners are shit. End of story

You get what you pay for.
refrigerated air conditioning is the only way to go in Australia
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2227 times
Been liked: 2523 times

Postby HH3 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:43 am

The Dark Knight wrote:Lol the old wet bulb, that was used in the 'hot work policy' where I used to work, it's a load of shit and so was their whole the hot work policy. As a tradie unless you have a good employer who has a decent hot work policy you're on a hiding to nothing. But that's just the way it goes as a blue collar worker.

I really think people get overawed by the highest temperature prediction, it's going to be around that temperature anywhere from 2.30-4.30 which is or is close to knock off time so people aren't exposed to it as much as they anticipate.

The thing I find most difficult with the heat is when it's 25-30 at 6.30-7.30 in the morning when I'm starting work (and your sweating before 8am). That shit is f**ked and you feel like there's no escape.

The wet bulb is how Gridiron SA judges if its too hot to play.

My rookie year we had to win the last game of the year to get into the semi. They tried to call the game off (a tie) which would've knocked us out.

We waited, padded up under a tree til the wet bulb favoured us, and started the game.

Ended up playing in 42 degrees. I think my brain was boiling inside the helmet. Could barely tell where I was. We won, and went on to lose the semi in OT. :lol:
I TOLD YOU SO

2013/14 NFL Tipping Comp Champion
HH3
Coach

Has liked: 3301 times
Been liked: 2433 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:48 am

amber_fluid wrote:

I was always under that impression until we had our evaporative system replaced last summer, it was a massive two storey place and it kept the whole house cool as, I get very irritable with extreme humidity and would rather be cold than hot, it restored some faith for evaporative as I always thought it was shit in our conditions.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4346 times
Been liked: 7921 times

Postby amber_fluid » Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:50 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:
amber_fluid wrote:

I was always under that impression until we had our evaporative system replaced last summer, it was a massive two storey place and it kept the whole house cool as, I get very irritable with extreme humidity and would rather be cold than hot, it restored some faith for evaporative as I always thought it was shit in our conditions.

Was it cool upstairs though?
amber_fluid
Coach

Postby Booney » Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:51 am

amber_fluid wrote:You get what you pay for.

Tell Frank Seeley's accountant that. :lol:
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:54 am

amber_fluid wrote:Was it cool upstairs though?

Yeah, I thought it would struggle big time, all our bedrooms were upstairs, no one needed to sleep downstairs at all during the summer.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Booney » Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:57 am

Most people have a dim view of evap cooling because they last forever and most units around the place are decades old.

If you've got one that's been manufactured in the last 3-5 years you'll know they work just fine*.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby amber_fluid » Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:57 am

Booney wrote:

Who’s he when he’s home? :lol:

I assume he manufactured or invented parts of the evaporative system?

Or flog them off for a profit?

They are cheaper than refrigeration units coz they are inferior IMO.

I love our A/C(not necessarily the bill) and would never go evaporative.
Each to their own.
amber_fluid
Coach

Postby heater31 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:58 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:
amber_fluid wrote:Was it cool upstairs though?

Yeah, I thought it would struggle big time, all our bedrooms were upstairs, no one needed to sleep downstairs at all during the summer.
South Australia is the best location for a Swampy. One of the most efficient cooling systems given the right conditions.
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1263 times

Postby Booney » Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:00 am

amber_fluid wrote:
Booney wrote:

Who’s he when he’s home? :lol:

I assume he manufactured or invented parts of the evaporative system?

Or flog them off for a profit?

They are cheaper than refrigeration units coz they are inferior IMO.

I love our A/C(not necessarily the bill) and would never go evaporative.
Each to their own.

Seeley International employ about 300 people in Lonsdale and Albury, make around 70,000 coolers a year and export to 100 countries.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:02 am

heater31 wrote:South Australia is the best location for a Swampy. One of the most efficient cooling systems given the right conditions.

I did look up to see what was the best way to use them and found the right sort of mix of having windows or sliding doors slightly ajar, made a huge difference when everyone else in the house adhered.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby DOC » Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:02 am

Why are they called a swampy?
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 731 times
Been liked: 2086 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:02 am

Booney wrote:
Seeley International employ about 300 people in Lonsdale and Albury, make around 70,000 coolers a year and export to 100 countries.

Really?
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:03 am

DOC wrote:Why are they called a swampy?

Cheers, I was wondering what a swampy was initially.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Footy Chick » Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:03 am

DOC wrote:Why are they called a swampy?

Cos they smell like a swamp if you dont clean them :lol:
Don't play games with a girl who can play 'em better...

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Has liked: 1738 times
Been liked: 2146 times

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  General Discussion