Soooooo, how's this weather?

Anything!

Re: Soooooo, how's this weather?

Postby Booney » Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:04 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:
DOC wrote:Why are they called a swampy?

Cheers, I was wondering what a swampy was initially.

Just based on them creating humidity, swamp like if you will.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby Pseudo » Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:05 am

heater31 wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:
amber_fluid wrote:Was it cool upstairs though?

Yeah, I thought it would struggle big time, all our bedrooms were upstairs, no one needed to sleep downstairs at all during the summer.
South Australia is the best location for a Swampy. One of the most efficient cooling systems given the right conditions.

Meh. Had a small evap unit in our last pad. Had it serviced every so often so it was presumably operating as well as it could. It worked fine when the temp went up to the low 30s. Any higher and it merely took the edge off. There's only so far you can cool forty-something degree air by pumping it through water.
Clowns OUT. Smears OUT. RESIST THE OCCUPATION.
Pseudo
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1553 times
Grassroots Team: Marion

Postby mighty hounds » Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:06 am

amber_fluid wrote:
heater31 wrote:
amber_fluid wrote:Once it goes past 37 or 38 degrees it’s all the same anyway.
Inside with the A/C going.
Yeah ******* hot.....

Anyone on here actually work outside?
I couldn’t imagine it in this heat.

I do, working in telecommunications you cop all sorts or weather. On days like today we normally start earlier and knock off around lunch time. You do get used to it but as TDK said once you sweat early in the morning it makes the rest of your day uncomfortable. Just with your clothes sticking to you for so long. I’m unsure if I prefer 40 degrees in summer or 5 degrees in winter. :lol:
mighty hounds
Coach

Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 285 times

Postby Booney » Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:10 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:
heater31 wrote:South Australia is the best location for a Swampy. One of the most efficient cooling systems given the right conditions.

I did look up to see what was the best way to use them and found the right sort of mix of having windows or sliding doors slightly ajar, made a huge difference when everyone else in the house adhered.

You want to change the air in the space around every 4 minutes with evap, thus you need to relieve some of the air out so yes, doors/windows slightly ajar works best.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Booney » Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:22 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Booney wrote:
Seeley International employ about 300 people in Lonsdale and Albury, make around 70,000 coolers a year and export to 100 countries.

Really?

Late last year they got an order for 50,000 evap coolers to go to a tent city in Saudi Arabia, they beat several tenders from around the world. Mina Valley, it's unreal, 3,000,000 million people live in the tent city.

I was set to get a slice of that pie, my Melbourne wankers let me down and I missed out. :twisted:
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby MW » Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:24 am

Pseudo wrote:
heater31 wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:

Yeah, I thought it would struggle big time, all our bedrooms were upstairs, no one needed to sleep downstairs at all during the summer.
South Australia is the best location for a Swampy. One of the most efficient cooling systems given the right conditions.

Meh. Had a small evap unit in our last pad. Had it serviced every so often so it was presumably operating as well as it could. It worked fine when the temp went up to the low 30s. Any higher and it merely took the edge off. There's only so far you can cool forty-something degree air by pumping it through water.

I've got one at home. I never run it at its max power even on 40 deg days.
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2581 times
Been liked: 1822 times

Postby amber_fluid » Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:30 am

Pseudo wrote:
heater31 wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:

Yep agree.
Let’s see how the evaporative units go tomorrow.
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2217 times
Been liked: 2508 times

Postby MW » Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:32 am

if the evap aint working well I know the 70,000L of water out the back will cool me down!
MW
Coach

Postby amber_fluid » Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:34 am

MW wrote:if the evap aint working well I know the 70,000L of water out the back will cool me down!

And a few Icey cold beers I’m sure.
amber_fluid
Coach

Postby Jim05 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:26 pm

amber_fluid wrote:
Bum Crack wrote:
Booney wrote:
heater31 wrote:Swampys begin to lose their effectiveness at about 38 degrees from memory.....at 45 degrees totally useless!

Yes, and no.

Hot dry outside air is drawn in by a fan through a wet cooling pad, this process takes the heat out of the air before being pumped into the building.

In dry climates, like ours, this also adds moisture to the air giving more comfort to the building occupants. ( Relative humidity of about 45% is good for most people ).

The cooling potential for evaporative coolers is dependent upon the difference between dry-bulb and wet-bulb temperatures. ( Dry-bulb is dry thermometer shielded from radiation and humidity and wet-bulb is a thermometer covered in a wet towel with air passing over it ).

Your cooler at home should reduce the outside air temperature to within 3-4°c of the wet-bulb temperature. If the difference between dry-bulb and wet-bulb is too high then the coolers ability to take the heat out of the dry air is reduced.

In essence the air being drawn in from outside is still being cooled and saturated but not enough to get the temperature closer to wet-bulb than dry-bulb, thus you "feel" like it isn't working, it is but not as well.

Evaporative air conditioners are shit. End of story

You get what you pay for.
refrigerated air conditioning is the only way to go in Australia

Exactly.
Why would people even bother having evaps installed at their houses?
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3534 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby HH3 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:27 pm

I've just cracked my window. Bit chilly in here.
I TOLD YOU SO

2013/14 NFL Tipping Comp Champion
HH3
Coach

Has liked: 3301 times
Been liked: 2432 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby Jim05 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:28 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Booney wrote:
Seeley International employ about 300 people in Lonsdale and Albury, make around 70,000 coolers a year and export to 100 countries.

Really?

Yep, he is a big customer of ours and they are world leaders in his industry. I still wouldn’t buy one though [emoji13]
Jim05
Coach

Postby Booney » Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:42 pm

Jim05 wrote:Exactly.

Rough numbers - refrigerated costs 3x as much per year to run and 2x as much to install, roughly.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby MW » Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:45 pm

Booney wrote:

Rough numbers - refrigerated costs 3x as much per year to run and 2x as much to install, roughly.

Both reasons why I picked evap
reckon there is maybe 3-4 days per year when I regret it.
MW
Coach

Postby Jim05 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:46 pm

Booney wrote:

Comfort has no price.
I would rather have no carpets and bugger all furniture than not have a refrigerated aircon system.
After working a fair part of the day outside I want to come home to a house that is cool in summer and warm in winter.
Jim05
Coach

Postby Bum Crack » Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:47 pm

Booney wrote:

and it makes you 10x more comfortable in this shit weather as opposed to a crappy evaporative. The only people who rate evaporative are those who don't have refrigerated.
So you've seen everything have you?
Yep
Have you ever seen a man eat his own head?
No
Well you haven't seen everything then have you.
Bum Crack
Coach

Has liked: 320 times
Been liked: 884 times
Grassroots Team: Berri

Postby JK » Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:02 pm

Bum Crack wrote:Evaporative air conditioners are shit. End of story

Not according to 3 mates I know that own aircon businesses. Each of them (unknown to one another) reckon Evap is the way to go. One of these lads recently built a million dollar mansion at Henley, decked it out with bells and whistles, and installed Evap to the place.

They all reckon when the humidity kicks in, just leave a bowl of water in a room and there's no issue.

I wouldn't know, I've really only ever been exposed to refrig aircon so don't shoot the messenger .. I was as surprised by their preference as anyone.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4438 times
Been liked: 2985 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby amber_fluid » Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:12 pm

Bum Crack wrote:
Booney wrote:

and it makes you 10x more comfortable in this shit weather as opposed to a crappy evaporative. The only people who rate evaporative are those who don't have refrigerated.

It cost more coz it’s better.
The new refrigerator systems are alot more cost effective these days too.
I’ve got an 18kw big boy and it doesn’t cost that much more for A/C to run.
Heating costs kill me but don’t use it much in winter anyway.
amber_fluid
Coach

Postby Brodlach » Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:17 pm

Bum Crack wrote:
Booney wrote:
heater31 wrote:Swampys begin to lose their effectiveness at about 38 degrees from memory.....at 45 degrees totally useless!

Yes, and no.

Hot dry outside air is drawn in by a fan through a wet cooling pad, this process takes the heat out of the air before being pumped into the building.

In dry climates, like ours, this also adds moisture to the air giving more comfort to the building occupants. ( Relative humidity of about 45% is good for most people ).

The cooling potential for evaporative coolers is dependent upon the difference between dry-bulb and wet-bulb temperatures. ( Dry-bulb is dry thermometer shielded from radiation and humidity and wet-bulb is a thermometer covered in a wet towel with air passing over it ).

Your cooler at home should reduce the outside air temperature to within 3-4°c of the wet-bulb temperature. If the difference between dry-bulb and wet-bulb is too high then the coolers ability to take the heat out of the dry air is reduced.

In essence the air being drawn in from outside is still being cooled and saturated but not enough to get the temperature closer to wet-bulb than dry-bulb, thus you "feel" like it isn't working, it is but not as well.

Evaporative air conditioners are shit. End of story

100% agree
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4206 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:17 pm

I got Evap system through the house but bedroom and rumpus rooms have a refrigerated unit.
Evap system works well, and use the refrigerated A/C on days like tomorrow where its 45, where Ill get home from work and probably crash in the bedroom to Netflix
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11805 times
Been liked: 3582 times

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  General Discussion