Restaurant & Pub Reviews

Anything!

Re: Restaurant & Pub Reviews

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:55 am

Booney wrote:
mighty_tiger_79 wrote:
I assume battery acid wasn't on the drinks menu? [emoji38]

Don't like the Yenda range I take it?
I was just remembering Mt Osmond and Battery Acid....when you mentioned your 'pain in the arse brother'

Memories...[emoji16]

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11805 times
Been liked: 3582 times

Postby Booney » Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:16 am

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:
Booney wrote:
mighty_tiger_79 wrote:
I assume battery acid wasn't on the drinks menu? [emoji38]

Don't like the Yenda range I take it?
I was just remembering Mt Osmond and Battery Acid....when you mentioned your 'pain in the arse brother'

Memories...[emoji16]

LOL.... :lol:
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby Spargo » Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:44 am

Pt Hughes Tavern
Firstly, I have never seen a bistro so busy on a Monday night anywhere - the place was heaving.
The staff did a great job as they were swamped come 6:30.
I understand sometimes people don’t always book, that’s life - but if you’re a “walk in” at 7pm wanting a table for eight & the place is pretty full, don’t be a rude, arrogant prick to the staff because they can’t immediately find you a table. I went to tell him to pull his head in but the bloke at the next table beat me to it - gave him a real good serve too.

All meals included Salad & Veg bar. I’ve never been a fan of this type of operation - flies on the food, people coughing on the food, kids putting their fingers in the food - ugh!
The kids had chicken nuggets & chips and also macaroni cheese balls & chips - both $11.90
Smallish serves, bugger all chips.
Wifey went the beef schnitzel ($22) with pepper sauce ($3) - large serve, plenty of chips, very very good pepper sauce - plenty of kick.
I went the chicken parmigiana ($26), huge portion, good sauce to cheese ratio, plenty of chips.
Drinks were 3 x VB cans & 1 x Somersby pear cider - all $6 each, extremely reasonable
1 can Fanta with 2 glasses of ice, $4.50 WTF?
Meals came out within 10-15 mins, staff were very friendly & efficient.
Tables were well spaced out however the use of “wedding style” chairs was interesting.
The one major negative is they offer stone grilled meat brought to your table, sounds fine but if you’re at the next table you cop a fair bit of smoke.

Service 9/10
Food 7.5/10
Value 7/10
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ

Don’t lose your grip on the dreams of the past
You must fight just to keep them alive...
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5457 times
Been liked: 5089 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:24 am

Lost me at VB Cans
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11805 times
Been liked: 3582 times

Postby Dutchy » Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:26 am

Yep always been a great pub to go to, staff always try hard to please and food is always above average.

We cant resist the seafood platter for two so cant comment on anything else on the menu!
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3482 times

Postby HH3 » Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:28 am

The Midway Tavern

My little brothers 16th birthday family dinner was last Wednesday at the Midway. In the past, the MIdway has been good to us, but we hadn't been for a few years.

I got the seafood trio, which was fish, prawns and salt and pepper squid. I had to pull the batter off of the fish because it was a thick, greasy mess. The fish inside was quite nice. The prawns weren't bad. The squid was two big chunks of grey cardboard. It felt like my mouth was coated in flour.

Mrs HH3 got a chicken salad.

Both meals were barely touched when the girl came to collect the plates.

The buffet was pretty good. They made a mistake having tongs to serve the "Seafood" salad. Old mate HH3 picked out all the seafood extender, so the rest of the joint was left to eat the celery. I also ruined the neat distribution of the potato bake by digging out the crispy back corner, as is my MO.

$58 for basically the buffet and two cokes.

Some riff raff kids were practicing WWE moves on the floor near us for most of the night. Decent technique, but not the time or place.

Will not return.
I TOLD YOU SO

2013/14 NFL Tipping Comp Champion
HH3
Coach

Has liked: 3301 times
Been liked: 2432 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:30 am

HH3 wrote:The Midway Tavern

My little brothers 16th birthday family dinner was last Wednesday at the Midway. In the past, the MIdway has been good to us, but we hadn't been for a few years.

I got the seafood trio, which was fish, prawns and salt and pepper squid. I had to pull the batter off of the fish because it was a thick, greasy mess. The fish inside was quite nice. The prawns weren't bad. The squid was two big chunks of grey cardboard. It felt like my mouth was coated in flour.

Mrs HH3 got a chicken salad.

Both meals were barely touched when the girl came to collect the plates.

The buffet was pretty good. They made a mistake having tongs to serve the "Seafood" salad. Old mate HH3 picked out all the seafood extender, so the rest of the joint was left to eat the celery. I also ruined the neat distribution of the potato bake by digging out the crispy back corner, as is my MO.

$58 for basically the buffet and two cokes.

Some riff raff kids were practicing WWE moves on the floor near us for most of the night.

Will not return.

Did your mum ask you's to stop?
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby gadj1976 » Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:27 pm

Bread and Bone

Went there before the 20/20. The staff treated the 3 kids fantastically. Food, awesome. The food took a little while to get out however it was a Monday and the place was packed.

Food 9/10.
Service 10/10
Price 6/10

I said to the staff that I'd rather pay for a 19 burger there than a 5 buck burger in Hungry Jacks. The kids loved their meals as did I.
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 795 times
Been liked: 849 times

Postby PatowalongaPirate » Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:26 pm

gadj1976 wrote:Bread and Bone

Went there before the 20/20. The staff treated the 3 kids fantastically. Food, awesome. The food took a little while to get out however it was a Monday and the place was packed.

Food 9/10.
Service 10/10
Price 6/10

I said to the staff that I'd rather pay for a 19 burger there than a 5 buck burger in Hungry Jacks. The kids loved their meals as did I.

Hold up, you paid $19.00 for a burger? And are happy about it?
safooty Melbourne Cup Day Tipping Champion 2018 & 2019 #Back2Back
2018 safooty NFL Tipping Champion
PatowalongaPirate
2022 SA Footy Punter of the Year

Has liked: 444 times
Been liked: 1208 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby carey » Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:25 am

Jolleys boathouse

Ring on Wedesday to book for 4, leave 2 meassages with no reply finally get a reply yep can take my booking for 4 but has to be 5:30 till 7.30 I ask ohh ok so someone has the table at 7.30? That’s fine we’ll be out by then as we’re going to the concert. Replies with no, no one has the table after you, you just have to be ok by 7.30. I’m confussed but make the booking.

The Mrs and I Get there at 5.20 they take us to our table, here you go. (It’s set for 2) I explain the booking is for 4, no sir it’s for 2 I kindly explain its for 4. They again tell me it’s for 2 at this stage I remember a conformation text on the booking and show it’s for 4. Oh so sorry sir, it’s our bad we’ll set you a table for 4, no free drink no nothing whilst we wait. Yep off to great start.

Drinks menu comes out and after I fall off my chair! the Mrs wants a wine and I want a West End (which they don’t have). Wait for a good 10-15 mins I go to the bar to get served and get informed you need to ordered at your table at which stage I blow my top and this joint gets told! Right as I’m mid rant my old man and step mum rock up and wonder what is going on. I explain at the table.

But from from that moment on the night was very good. Drinks very expensive but food very well priced and absolutely beautiful. Step Mum went the Salmon, old man and the Pork belly, the mrs the steak and me the brisket, this after 2 serves of Entrees.

Very poor beer selection. I had to drink Bogas
Very expensive wine
Great food at a very good price
Gold card discount (ent book)

Would recommend for the food.
you've gota keep on keep'n on .........
carey
Coach

Has liked: 2796 times
Been liked: 2985 times
Grassroots Team: Paralowie

Postby mighty hounds » Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:05 am

carey wrote:Jolleys boathouse

Ring on Wedesday to book for 4, leave 2 meassages with no reply finally get a reply yep can take my booking for 4 but has to be 5:30 till 7.30 I ask ohh ok so someone has the table at 7.30? That’s fine we’ll be out by then as we’re going to the concert. Replies with no, no one has the table after you, you just have to be ok by 7.30. I’m confussed but make the booking.

The Mrs and I Get there at 5.20 they take us to our table, here you go. (It’s set for 2) I explain the booking is for 4, no sir it’s for 2 I kindly explain its for 4. They again tell me it’s for 2 at this stage I remember a conformation text on the booking and show it’s for 4. Oh so sorry sir, it’s our bad we’ll set you a table for 4, no free drink no nothing whilst we wait. Yep off to great start.

Drinks menu comes out and after I fall off my chair! the Mrs wants a wine and I want a West End (which they don’t have). Wait for a good 10-15 mins I go to the bar to get served and get informed you need to ordered at your table at which stage I blow my top and this joint gets told! Right as I’m mid rant my old man and step mum rock up and wonder what is going on. I explain at the table.

But from from that moment on the night was very good. Drinks very expensive but food very well priced and absolutely beautiful. Step Mum went the Salmon, old man and the Pork belly, the mrs the steak and me the brisket, this after 2 serves of Entrees.

Very expensive wine

No creek water at fine dining restaurants Carey.
mighty hounds
Coach

Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 285 times

Postby Corona Man » Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:15 am

mighty hounds wrote:
carey wrote:Jolleys boathouse

Very expensive wine

No creek water at fine dining restaurants Carey.

My take away from the review was that Carey was drinking Bogans!
1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015.... And don't you forget it!
Corona Man
Coach

Has liked: 1275 times
Been liked: 3461 times
Grassroots Team: Echunga

Postby magpie in the 80's » Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:23 am

When I was back in Adelaide over xmas we went out for lunch/dinner about 6 times and each place I booked quoted a 2 hour window. Must be the new thing these days.
I went to a fight the other night, and a hockey game broke out. - Rodney Dangerfield (1921 - 2004)
magpie in the 80's
Coach

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

Postby Kahuna » Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:51 pm

Below is a part review of Jolley's I started a couple of years ago----

Kahuna's review of Jolley's Boat House.

Went last Friday night with my Missus, her brother and his wife. On arrival first impression was how noisy it was and how closely the tables were set up. Had a reservation for 7:30, table not ready when we arrived so were ushered into a lounge area while our table was prepared. Comfy enough and a good spot to watch our table setup happening. Sat there for about 15 minutes and $80 in booze before we were shown to our placing.
Converted a two seater setup into 4, chairs back to back with adjacent diners on three sides, me seated back to the window. No way to get out without someone on another table also having to get up.

Waitress apologised for the apparent shortage of menus, in fact it was over half an hour before we got any. Glug, glug, close to $150 down before we were able to order. All four ordered entrée and main, me kingfish sashimi, 2 had the pork belly and sister-in-law the cap end steak with Japanese noodles.
Waiter arrived with starters and after serving, found himself boxed in by the Great Wall of Diners, had to exit via sliding door out onto the veranda and reappear through another a little further down.

S-i-L's entrée (the cap end) turned out to be a slice of raw beef wrapped around the noodles. No mention of raw beef on the menu and waiter offered her another choice at no charge. Credit where it's due for that, thanks. She too chose the pork as a replacement.
Sashimi was nice, bit of salad and a few blobs of sauce went down a treat with a Two Birds Golden Ale. Reports on the pork were also positive, crispy skin and crunchy dressed Asian type salad to go with it.

Onto mains, I ordered a 350g fillet, B-i-L the same, S-i-L had barramundi and my lady ordered I forget what but as you will see shortly, it didn't matter cos she didn't get it.
Three mains arrived along with another apology as the fourth would be another couple of minutes, but would be done and sent out top priority. This was closely followed by a visit from the maitre de (fancy for Boss Waiter) who acknowledged it would be somewhat longer than a couple of minutes as they had not received the order for it in the kitchen..........

That is the end of the original draft. From memory the 3 mains were good, however, the fourth still hadn't arrived when other 3 were finished and plates cleared.
Basically we up and left at that point, had a very heated discussion with "management" over paying for the 4th main we didn't receive. We didn't pay for it.
Disgraceful "service", will never go back.
Kahuna
League - Top 5

Has liked: 499 times
Been liked: 187 times

Postby Corona Man » Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:13 pm

Groove Lounge. Williamstown Victoria.

Took the ferry from Southbank over to Williamstown this arvo. It’s a pleasant 55 minute jaunt.

Walked up and down the cafe strip and settled on this place. Sat outside took up a table under the umbrellas and settled in. Perused the menu while I had a Corona and Mrs C a lemon, lime & bitters.

I went the Calamari, Mrs had the Chicken and Avocado Focaccia.

Calamari was very good, also a good sized serving. Although not the best I’ve ever had but a worthy entry into the top 5. At $24 a serve good value, plenty of chips and a nice salad.

Chicken Focaccia good by all reports and also a large serve for $18.

Lunch washed down by another Corona while Mrs C had coffee.

Wandered about for a while, took in some live music by the dock, before heading back in the return ferry to the city.

8.5/10

Worth a look if you’re in Melbourne and have the time to take the ferry over.
1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015.... And don't you forget it!
Corona Man
Coach

Has liked: 1275 times
Been liked: 3461 times
Grassroots Team: Echunga

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:10 am

Little Miss Mc turned 16 on Sunday and had plans taking up most of the day so I suggested we do a Dad and daughter late lunch date for yesterday instead.

We set sail around 2pm and although she has gone vegan for the past few weeks I suggested that she live on the wild side again for the day as we headed to Taco Quetzalcoatl's in Salisbury, get there and it's closed.

Plan B, well there was no Plan B, I was just happy to be driving around with my girl having a good chat and laugh, she has been working many hours lately as she prepares to go back to school today.

We drive up Main North Road looking for something open and suitable to no avail, we return down Prospect Road with our eyes peeled but still nothing, I then have a brainwave and think "Burek Lounge", we go there and they are closed too, even a Greek place in Grange that she suggested was closed.

Head to Sempahore knowing something suitable will be open, pull up out the front of a place called "Bodrum Kahve" and noticed it had a bit of everything there.

Head inside and Miss Mc is happy for me to order a lamb AB along with a large Italiano pizza, the pleasant young lad took my order and when I said I wanted BBQ sauce and Garlic sauce on the AB he smiled, gave me the thumbs up and said "respect".

He asked if we wanted them served together as the pizza would take some time, I just said "Do whatever you want mate, whatever is easiest for you"

He and another lad fossicked around to get us glasses, a water bottle and set to work to make sure we were looked after, I think it was more of making sure Miss Mc was looked after, I doubt that they'd pick her age.

Anywho, the AB came out first and was served on chips as per usual but, they had a pita bread cut into about 12 portions too which was an instant double thumbs up for me, we were both picking at that and got about half way through when the pizza was presented, and by Jesus it was cooked to perfection, a crispy crust but fluffy interior, the topping evenly placed and stayed on as you ate it, both were thoroughly enjoyable.

The service was excellent, I'd say Papa does all the front cooking, Mama or son do the pizza's, they had Turkish food, all sorts of Mediterranean dishes along with South American cuisine, they had a decent array of alcoholic beverages too.

All up, for the AB, the pizza and a 600ml Coke each, it came to $33, excellent value, we demolished the AB but only got through half of the pizza to which one of the young lads chucked in a pizza box for us to take with, it will be a compulsory stop for us now whenever we frequent Semaphore, a hidden little gem.

A solid 9/10, the tables could've been laid out better but the lack of space doesn't help and neither of us wanted to eat hot food at the table provided outside.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Footy Chick » Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:13 am

Who brainwashed your child - keep feeding her meat! :lol:
Don't play games with a girl who can play 'em better...

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Has liked: 1737 times
Been liked: 2144 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:35 am

Footy Chick wrote:Who brainwashed your child - keep feeding her meat! :lol:

I know, it's more of the dairy products that she's staying off, she's in the crows elite talent squad atm so cutting meat out of her diet would be a bad decision at this point of time IMO.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby DOC » Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:42 am

There is nothing wrong with vegan and vegetarian food.

It goes beautifully with steak.
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 723 times
Been liked: 2076 times

Postby Dutchy » Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:44 am

Went to Norwood yesterday looking for a feed at lunch with the FIL.

Went to the Lost Barrel almost opposite the Norwood Hotel, set up in a old building.

$6 lunch special menu was a winner, very cheap but the food was very good, you end up ordering 2 meals as they are pretty small but its still only $12!

Wood oven pizza, taco's, nacho's, wings etc etc - large range.

If you are in the area and want a quick cheap meal its perfect.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3482 times

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  General Discussion