Adelaide Hills Cricket (HCA, TVCA & A&EH)

Local cricket is the go here. Any talk about local comps, grade cricket, etc.

Re: Adelaide Hills Cricket (HCA, TVCA & A&EH)

Postby Dutchy » Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:36 am

jackpot jim wrote:Yes, Ideally you'd like to think that a carnival of such supposed stature would play their games on a TRUE cricket surface ?

True cricket surface? This is country cricket, which in the main is played on hard wicket and it takes nothing away from the game at all.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3482 times

Postby Corona Man » Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:13 am

Dutchy wrote:
jackpot jim wrote:Yes, Ideally you'd like to think that a carnival of such supposed stature would play their games on a TRUE cricket surface ?

True cricket surface? This is country cricket, which in the main is played on hard wicket and it takes nothing away from the game at all.

Somewhat off topic here.... but the hardwicket comps I have played in here in Melbourne are all on "permanent stuck down synthetic" as opposed to matting that is rolled/pegged out each week. IMO these permanent wickets play a little differently... there can be a bit more variable bounce.
1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015.... And don't you forget it!
Corona Man
Coach

Has liked: 1275 times
Been liked: 3461 times
Grassroots Team: Echunga

Postby FlyingHigh » Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:02 am

Funnily enough, I struggled too going to stuck down mats after growing up with strap-down ones. Thought it may be because I was used to judging the length of the ball based on the gap between the two mats.
FlyingHigh
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 81 times
Been liked: 173 times

Postby Corona Man » Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:12 am

FlyingHigh wrote:Funnily enough, I struggled too going to stuck down mats after growing up with strap-down ones. Thought it may be because I was used to judging the length of the ball based on the gap between the two mats.

Wouldn't say I am struggling. But there is some variable bounce on them. Not like turf wickets though.
1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015.... And don't you forget it!
Corona Man
Coach

Postby FlyingHigh » Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:41 am

Yeah, didn't word that how I was intending!!
FlyingHigh
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 81 times
Been liked: 173 times

Postby Buffet bowler » Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:49 am

Dutchy wrote:

Turf as JJ puts it is the TRUE cricket surface Dutchy it’s rather trite to deny that. Anyone who is serious about cricket would rather play on turf hands down, but obviously cost, labour etc are factors why there aren’t many turf decks in country cricket.
Buffet bowler
Mini-League

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 4 times

Postby Dutchy » Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:17 am

Why is a true cricket surface?

There is no possible way you could have turf pitches in the Adelaide Hills, you wouldn't play until December
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby Corona Man » Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:34 am

Buffet bowler wrote:
Dutchy wrote:

Turf as JJ puts it is the TRUE cricket surface Dutchy it’s rather trite to deny that. Anyone who is serious about cricket would rather play on turf hands down, but obviously cost, labour etc are factors why there aren’t many turf decks in country cricket.

Not to mention water.... either too much, or not enough.
Corona Man
Coach

Postby Buffet bowler » Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:40 pm

Dutchy wrote:Why is a true cricket surface?

There is no possible way you could have turf pitches in the Adelaide Hills, you wouldn't play until December

I disagree with that, I appreciate whilst it gets pretty wet in the hills with decent covers, suitable drainage and enough helpers you could have turf pitches, it doesn’t stop there being turf pitches in the uk and Ireland. I think the main stumbling block is that cricket is often seen as a periphery sport by many and so getting the funding and the volunteers is very hard, whereas concrete decks are much less cost and labour intensive.
Buffet bowler
Mini-League

Postby The Hound » Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:43 pm

How did the Meyer Shield go this year? as a former SCA rep it was always a good weekend so still keep an eye out
The Hound
Reserves

Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 35 times

Postby Dutchy » Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:41 pm

Buffet bowler wrote:
Dutchy wrote:Why is a true cricket surface?

I disagree with that, I appreciate whilst it gets pretty wet in the hills with decent covers, suitable drainage and enough helpers you could have turf pitches, it doesn’t stop there being turf pitches in the uk and Ireland. I think the main stumbling block is that cricket is often seen as a periphery sport by many and so getting the funding and the volunteers is very hard, whereas concrete decks are much less cost and labour intensive.

In UK and Ireland they dont have Aussie Rules played on them, it takes long enough for the outfields to repair after winter, imagine a turf deck

Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby Buffet bowler » Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:47 pm

I think the wicket is the least of your problems there, but nice cherry picking of photo to suit your narrative......
Buffet bowler
Mini-League

Postby Dutchy » Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:49 pm

So you would put a turf pitch in at Bridgewater then?
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:08 pm

Dutchy wrote:
In UK and Ireland they dont have Aussie Rules played on them, it takes long enough for the outfields to repair after winter, imagine a turf deck

Light roll and she'll be apples.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby Buffet bowler » Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:22 pm

Dutchy wrote:So you would put a turf pitch in at Bridgewater then?

Probably not there, you’d need more than a bag of sawdust, please don’t try telling me this is the same at all Adelaide hills ovals?
Buffet bowler
Mini-League

Postby Off The Wall » Thu Jan 31, 2019 4:17 pm

Buffet bowler wrote:

Probably not there, you’d need more than a bag of sawdust, please don’t try telling me this is the same at all Adelaide hills ovals?

You obviously dont venture out much then. 80% of hills ovals would look like that at some point in footy season unfortunately
Off The Wall
Under 16s

Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 22 times

Postby daysofourlives » Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:15 pm

Angaston Oval is worse than the one you pictured, we have a very good turf deck, elevate it, have a gap in the middle the same as Glenelg does for drainage and you cant go wrong. Any water on the pitch only has 6m to travel. There is also very good super soppers available at a great price that work a treat if you run them on the pitch just before the footy commences. all the issues can be addressed if theres enough will to do it
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2415 times
Been liked: 1657 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby Buffet bowler » Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:34 pm

daysofourlives wrote:

Angaston Oval is worse than the one you pictured, we have a very good turf deck, elevate it, have a gap in the middle the same as Glenelg does for drainage and you cant go wrong. Any water on the pitch only has 6m to travel. There is also very good super soppers available at a great price that work a treat if you run them on the pitch just before the footy commences. all the issues can be addressed if theres enough will to do it

Watch out daysofourlives these flat earthers say it’s impossible therefore there’s no point even entertaining the thought......
Buffet bowler
Mini-League

Postby Dutchy » Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:39 am

daysofourlives wrote:

Angaston is worse than this?????? :lol:

Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby Lightning McQueen » Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:12 am

The Hills ovals get less sun and warmer days to work with.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Regional Cricket Comps