Port Adelaide 2019

Talk on the national game

Re: Port Adelaide 2019

Postby Booney » Thu Jan 31, 2019 4:35 pm

amber_fluid wrote:
The Bedge wrote:
Booney wrote:
MW wrote:Kane said the other night that amongst 217 players that qualify for a certain stats category (not sure what it was...) Wines was second last for kicking.

Wines is ordinary by foot, very ordinary, but I'd like to see some of the silky outside runners win as much contested ball in and under as he does.

Kornes comparing apples with bananas.

Not sure Kornes is one to be throwing shade over kicking ability..

Didn’t have a penetrating kick but he hit his targets more often than not.
Be good to see stats head to head with Kane and Ollie.

To compare different eras and different positions?
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7491 times
Been liked: 10772 times

Postby amber_fluid » Thu Jan 31, 2019 4:38 pm

Kane played with Ollie so it’s similar era’s.
They are both on ballers albeit different types but Kane was maligned for his kicking and Ollie not so much.
I reckon Kane’s stats would suggest he’s the better kick.
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2224 times
Been liked: 2519 times

Postby Booney » Thu Jan 31, 2019 4:41 pm

About 25% of Cornes possessions were contested, Wines is around 50%.

Already apples / bananas.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby carey » Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:14 pm

Fat Santa reported on the rush hour tonight that a young Port Player tore his hamstring off the bone on the same sking trip but its yet to be reported.

:?
you've gota keep on keep'n on .........
carey
Coach

Has liked: 2806 times
Been liked: 2996 times
Grassroots Team: Paralowie

Postby amber_fluid » Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:26 pm

Booney wrote:About 25% of Cornes possessions were contested, Wines is around 50%.

Sorry I didn’t realise players had to have the exact % of contested possessions before you could compare them.
Silly me!
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2224 times
Been liked: 2519 times

Postby Spargo » Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:28 pm

carey wrote:Fat Santa reported on the rush hour tonight that a young Port Player tore his hamstring off the bone on the same sking trip but its yet to be reported.

Well the club have said they don’t have an issue with Wines so the young lad (if true) should be fine.
A question I haven’t seen asked is what if Wines had done his knee & was out for the season?
Would the club or those defending his choice to ski change their tune?
For what it’s worth (and I understand players need to unwind away from footy) but if it was Higgins or Ziebell injured skiing so close to the season, I’d be filthy.
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ
2024 champ, Spargo’s Good Friday Cup @ Ascot

I’ll wait for an angel, but I won’t hold my breath
‘Magine they’re busy, think I’m doin’ ok…
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5477 times
Been liked: 5118 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby Brodlach » Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:55 pm

Hearing it was a Port player......Port Magpie player
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4216 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby PatowalongaPirate » Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:49 pm

carey wrote:Fat Santa reported on the rush hour tonight that a young Port Player tore his hamstring off the bone on the same sking trip but its yet to be reported.

Pretty hard to hide a hamstring off the bone injury all season I would think. Surely couldn't be true.
safooty Melbourne Cup Day Tipping Champion 2018 & 2019 #Back2Back
2018 safooty NFL Tipping Champion
PatowalongaPirate
2022 SA Footy Punter of the Year

Has liked: 447 times
Been liked: 1210 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby carey » Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:16 pm

PatowalongaPirate wrote:

Pretty hard to hide a hamstring off the bone injury all season I would think. Surely couldn't be true.

The idiot barely ever gets a story right so why start now.

Clarkson coaching the Crows, Bont signing a 5 year deal at Adelaide, Slone a 8 year deal at the saints the list goes on and on.
you've gota keep on keep'n on .........
carey
Coach

Has liked: 2806 times
Been liked: 2996 times
Grassroots Team: Paralowie

Postby UK Fan » Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:12 am

So is it safe to assume that Kane found out about Ollie before any other journo via Chad ??

Chad a paid PAFC employee atm.
fester69 wrote: I'm full of "pish and wind" !!You can call me weak !!

MW wrote: Well call me a special asshole!.

Booney wrote: I'm a happy clapper **** stick.

THE SKY HAS FALLEN!!!!
UK Fan
Coach

Has liked: 1202 times
Been liked: 502 times

Postby woodublieve12 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:38 am

Spargo wrote:

Well the club have said they don’t have an issue with Wines so the young lad (if true) should be fine.
A question I haven’t seen asked is what if Wines had done his knee & was out for the season?
For what it’s worth (and I understand players need to unwind away from footy) but if it was Higgins or Ziebell injured skiing so close to the season, I’d be filthy.

I was filthy when Rampe couldn't step over a chain :roll:
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3025 times
Been liked: 2401 times

Postby Booney » Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:28 am

amber_fluid wrote:
Booney wrote:About 25% of Cornes possessions were contested, Wines is around 50%.

Sorry I didn’t realise players had to have the exact % of contested possessions before you could compare them.
Silly me!

Agreed.

What I'm saying is you're wanting to compare kicking efficiency ( among other things ) of two players who play differing roles.

30 years ago midfielders were midfielders, the modern era has far more defined roles and as such comparing an inside mid to a tagger, that whilst close, isn't exactly a direct comparison, is it?

I've looked and can't find Cornes' disposal efficiency stats anywhere.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Booney » Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:29 am

carey wrote:
PatowalongaPirate wrote:

Clarkson coaching the Crows, Bont signing a 5 year deal at Adelaide, Slone a 8 year deal at the saints the list goes on and on.

Surprise, surprise, seems Jarman had poor mail.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby stan » Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:57 am

Booney wrote:
carey wrote:
PatowalongaPirate wrote:

Surprise, surprise, seems Jarman had poor mail.
Jarman has seriously in the past gotten a big footy rumour and run with it thinking it had some girth. The bloke is a moron and nobody would trust him with any information or be a source for him.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1253 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby Dutchy » Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:29 am

Being a contested bull his shoulder is pretty important, probably more important than his pre-season absence is how it will stand up thru the season now, if it doesn't then I think the media have the right to be all over him.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2322 times
Been liked: 3496 times

Postby DOC » Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:06 am

Good perspective from a recent ex player:

Why it's crucial players have a life away from footy
Jude Bolton

How much of a life should AFL players -- and professional athletes more broadly, for that matter -- be able to enjoy outside of their chosen sport?

It's a debate that has again resurfaced after Ollie Wines' shoulder injury, which occurred while he was water skiing and looks set to cost him a large chunk of the remainder of his preseason, with at least one or two early-season games at risk for Port's likely next captain.

Injuries are a fact of life in professional sports, especially one as demanding as football. But when they occur outside of the crash-and-bash of a game, or during the almost year-round training schedule, many are quick to point the finger.

This week former Port champion Kane Cornes -- not shy to voice his opinion -- took aim at Wines' lack of professionalism. Cornes said Wines made a "terrible mistake," had "let his team down badly" and that it was "an embarrassing situation for the club's highest paid player".

Essendon legend Kevin Sheedy also questioned Wines' choice of off-field activities, drawing an analogy that it was unlikely someone like Roger Federer would be water skiing months before an Australian Open.

Many, however, disagreed with Cornes, Sheedy and Co. most notably AFL Players' Association president and Geelong star Patrick Dangerfield, who said: "It's ironic given some of the people that have criticised Ollie - I'd love to see what their extra-curricular activities were like when they were playing. You've still got to be able to have fun, go out and do the things we love doing. If you lose that within the game then we become robots."

I'm in Dangerfield's camp - within reason. For me, it's important players have an escape from the AFL bubble, and if that includes potentially risky activities like surfing or skateboarding, or, yes, water skiing, then so be it. Players have to have a life outside footy. Some study, some dabble in business, but every player needs to find an outlet.

Dealing with the all-encompassing pressure of being a professional footballer isn't easy. Yes, the perks are fantastic -- getting to live your dream while getting handsomely rewarded certainly beats most 9-5, Monday-Friday desk jobs -- but the pressure never leaves you, even in the so-called off-season. I say so-called because it's always really hard to totally switch off.

I remember having regular conversations with our coaching and sport science teams to map out my off-season plans - it's not really time off as you're constantly thinking about training, you're doing your own intense fitness program and you're doing all the one percenters to try to get a jump on your opponents for the next year. You're never really totally switching off. But having a mental escape is vital - you can see how important that is across all industries, not just sports. You have to be able to cope with the mental side of whatever you're working in and having a balance is critical.

Having that outlet also helps footy players to get to know themselves outside of the AFL bubble - there are so many players who retire and they don't really know themselves outside of their AFL persona.

However, all this comes with a caveat. A big one. As professional athletes, footballers need to find a way to minimise the risks of their activities outside of footy.

My releases were swimming at the beach or golf - pretty gentile activities but even any rounds of golf I could squeeze in were managed to the point of getting instructed to take an electronic cart around instead of walking because the sports science gurus didn't want me to be fatigued for the next session. But everyone's different; almost every offseason, Adam Goodes used to play cricket back in Horsham (he was a pretty quick opening bowler) while Isaac Heeney loves spear fishing (despite John Longmire always trying to put him off by saying stuff like 'I've heard there's been a few shark attacks around' or 'we can't have you thinking you're Bear Grylls all the time').

Clubs will do everything in their power to minimise any possible injuries to their players, and rightly so. I remember at the Swans, we used to have discussions with coaches and staff before every break, whether it be pre-season or if you had a few extra days off for a bye. We were always told "you're a 24/7 footballer - you're still representing us even if you're on a break."

And there's the fact that 'extreme sports clauses' are generally written into standard player contracts to prevent players from doing anything too risky away from the club. I dug up an old contract of mine recently and the exact wording is: "[A player can] not engage in any dangerous or hazardous activity, including but not limited to trail bike riding, professional boxing or wrestling, soccer, grid iron, karate, judo, hang gliding, parachuting, or bungee jumping, which, in the reasonable opinion of the AFL Club, may affect the player's ability to perform his obligations under this contract, without first obtaining the consent of the AFL Club, which consent shall not be unreasonably withheld."

So it's a delicate balancing act, for sure. Players need an outlet away from the game but the clubs need a way to mitigate any potential risks at times the players are enjoying some downtime.

It's also worth remembering the simple fact that accidents happen - some former teammates of mine have missed time after standing on sea urchins, others have required surgery from simply stepping out of a taxi awkwardly on the gutter, some have fallen off mopeds (or bars) while on holiday overseas. Then there was one night I tripped over our old German shepherd, carrying our newborn at the time - I had to take the brunt of the fall on my back and shoulder area to protect her. The following day, I had to get my shoulder checked out by the club doctor ... sheepishly I might add.

Footy players are human, and all humans make mistakes!

We also can't forget the fact AFL players are physically active young men - they can't be wrapped in cotton wool. These are men in the prime of their lives, generally with high disposable incomes - if they were banned from any sort of physical activities away from the footy field, then the risks of them getting involved with far riskier behaviour such as gambling, drinking or worse, would only rise.

It's a classic risk vs. reward situation. But the bigger risk would be looking to ban these young men from finding an outlet outside of footy.
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 730 times
Been liked: 2085 times

Postby Booney » Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:37 am

Excellent piece.

Fair to say current or recently retired players, in the main, are understanding.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:38 am

amber_fluid wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:
Booney wrote:Wines not important?

It is when you run out!

He's our 2nd most vital organ.

More important than Gray or Ryder?

Vital.

Ryder is our most vital player, Gray goes missing at times and we still can operate, when he's on song though we are a hell of a lot better.

Wines is vital in the middle, if he isn't firing we don't move the ball forward, we have a massive hole in the guts without him.

My opinion of course, based on nothing but the way I view the games and his work ethic compared to others.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4344 times
Been liked: 7921 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:43 am

Spargo wrote:

I see both sides of the ledger, when we talk about mental health and the vigours that come with playing AFL, these guys need their out, they need to do the things they enjoy.
Water skiing isn't dangerous, he could've gone arse up playing cricket, could do an ACL playing a bit of social soccer or basketball, there's plenty of season ending injuries from training drills, while I'm annoyed that we will start our season off without him because of something easily avoidable, I don't begrudge his choices.
I'd rather this outcome than Tom Mitchell's.

I've done water skiing and surfed, I found surfing more dangerous and scarier.
Last edited by Lightning McQueen on Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4344 times
Been liked: 7921 times

Postby DOC » Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:44 am

Booney wrote:
amber_fluid wrote:

Silly me!

Agreed.

What I'm saying is you're wanting to compare kicking efficiency ( among other things ) of two players who play differing roles.

30 years ago midfielders were midfielders, the modern era has far more defined roles and as such comparing an inside mid to a tagger, that whilst close, isn't exactly a direct comparison, is it?

I've looked and can't find Cornes' disposal efficiency stats anywhere.

I would think his disposal efficiency would have been high, as he tended to kick backwards/sideways to open players. That said,who hurts you more?
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 730 times
Been liked: 2085 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL