AFLW - Womens AFL

Talk on the national game

Re: AFLW - Womens AFL

Postby HH3 » Wed May 23, 2018 2:00 pm

Booney wrote:MELBOURNE champion Garry Lyon has labelled the AFLW expansion signing period as a “joke” after Brisbane coach Craig Starcevich accused North Melbourne of disrespecting the spirit of the competition.
The 10-day expansion club signing stage concluded on Monday, with key signings for new clubs North Melbourne and Geelong finalised. The Kangaroos’ 17 signings, including 13 AFLW signings, were ticked off by the AFL, as were Geelong’s 13 signatures.

North landed an array of high-profile signings, including reigning league best and fairest winner Emma Kearney via the Western Bulldogs and Collingwood duo Emma King and Mo Hope, while it also landed five players from Starcevich’s Brisbane Lions, headlined by Kaitlyn Ashmore

As compensation, the Lions have been given two rookie list selections, which were confirmed after the league released the pick order for October’s AFLW draft. The Cats have been given the first two selections of the draft and North’s first selection won’t occur until Pick 12.

But Starcevich accused the Kangaroos of not abiding by the “spirit” of AFLW, telling ABC Grandstand on the weekend that they’d been targeting some players “for the best part of six months”.

Lyon told SEN Breakfast: “This is a joke.

“Who is making these rules on the run?

“For a competition that we are told is, and we believe and have embraced, is so important to the future, and women’s football is growing at a rapid rate.

“Surely there is a more professional approach to putting in the parameters for building and developing teams?

“You can understand why Craig Starcevich is upset, because he is saying, what rules are we working with here?”

Starcevich said he wasn’t sure whether the Kangaroos had been “super” when it came to the "spirit" of building the league.

“Across the clubs we’ve all had some ownership about how this league works. I think a little bit of it is to do with the spirit of how we build the competition, I’m not sure North have been super with it, to be honest,” Starcevich said.

“ ... There’s a little bit there about respecting each other’s space and not necessarily going in and pillaging each other’s players and doing it with some ounce of integrity.

“They’ve been into some of the players for the best part of six months.

“I’m not sure that sits that comfortably with us, even though the rules don’t allow that.

“You’ve got to do things a little bit underhanded at times to try and get where you want to get in terms of building your list so that’s disappointing.”

A North Melbourne spokesman told the Herald Sun that the club takes “exception to any suggestions we acted outside the rules and against the spirit of the game”.

Starcevich, though, said the expansion list rules must be reviewed ahead of next year, with four new teams — Richmond, St Kilda, Gold Coast and West Coast — set to enter the competition in 2020.

“There’s got to be a certain amount of movement with players that have had experience at AFLW, but at this point in time North Melbourne look like they are going to assemble 12 to 16 of those players,” he said.

“It’s probably a lesson learnt for next year when there’s four new clubs that will take us up to 14 teams in the comp as to what is the right mechanism.”

The AFLW trade period opens on Wednesday and will continue until Monday 4 June.

Eight of the 10 AFLW clubs will gather at AFL House for a ‘trade facilitation day’ where they will discuss 2019 primary list considerations.

K
I TOLD YOU SO

2013/14 NFL Tipping Comp Champion
HH3
Coach

Has liked: 3301 times
Been liked: 2432 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby Gozu » Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:43 pm

New TV deal for AFLW with Seven & Foxtel.

Seven and Foxtel have signed a 4 year broadcast deal with the AFLW.

In 2019, Seven will broadcast two games per round Live in every state and territory plus all non-Victorian club matches into their respective local markets.

Foxtel will broadcast every AFLW game Live.

From 2020, Seven will broadcast three games per round, with Foxtel continuing to air every game live.

Both networks will broadcast all finals matches live nationally throughout the four-year partnership. All games will also be available live on the digital platforms of Seven and Foxtel and via the official AFLW app.

https://tvtonight.com.au/2018/12/seven- ... -deal.html
"The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment" – Warren Bennis
Gozu
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 659 times

Postby carey » Sun Feb 03, 2019 5:04 pm

You’d hope this standard is just because it’s the ‘first hit out’ of the year :shock:
you've gota keep on keep'n on .........
carey
Coach

Has liked: 2796 times
Been liked: 2985 times
Grassroots Team: Paralowie

Postby Armchair expert » Sun Feb 03, 2019 5:18 pm

carey wrote:You’d hope this standard is just because it’s the ‘first hit out’ of the year :shock:

An under 13s boys team would win by 20 goals
Dave Warner will be missed!
Armchair expert
Coach

Has liked: 379 times
Been liked: 1414 times
Grassroots Team: Ports

Postby carey » Sun Feb 03, 2019 6:18 pm

Armchair expert wrote:
carey wrote:You’d hope this standard is just because it’s the ‘first hit out’ of the year :shock:

I literally couldn’t watch it any longer the standard is worse than last year!
carey
Coach

Postby gadj1976 » Sun Feb 03, 2019 6:52 pm

carey wrote:
Armchair expert wrote:

I literally couldn’t watch it any longer the standard is worse than last year!

With more teams, that could be the expectation.
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 795 times
Been liked: 849 times

Postby carey » Sun Feb 03, 2019 7:06 pm

I just seen on the news the Crows full back kicking in from a behind and Lacing out Brennan 10m from the goal square :lol: =)) =))
carey
Coach

Postby Grenville » Sun Feb 03, 2019 7:31 pm

carey wrote:I just seen on the news the Crows full back kicking in from a behind and Lacing out Brennan 10m from the goal square :lol: =)) =))

I saw it as well, gold. Must've been a blockbuster game, 2 goals to 1.
Grenville
Veteran

Has liked: 262 times
Been liked: 761 times

Postby carey » Sun Feb 03, 2019 7:37 pm

Grenville wrote:
carey wrote:I just seen on the news the Crows full back kicking in from a behind and Lacing out Brennan 10m from the goal square :lol: =)) =))

I saw it as well, gold. Must've been a blockbuster game, 2 goals to 1.

Adelaide United v Brisbane Roar had 7 goals! :lol:
carey
Coach

Postby MW » Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:58 pm

Don't watch it.
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2581 times
Been liked: 1822 times

Postby Wedgie » Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:05 pm

Loved watching the Cats win mainly because it was an experience seeing Collingwood play at Geelong.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2020 times
Been liked: 3862 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Rik E Boy » Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:28 am

MW wrote:Don't watch it.

It's just that simple.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1697 times
Been liked: 1813 times

Postby Booney » Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:06 am

Rik E Boy wrote:
MW wrote:Don't watch it.

It's just that simple.

regards,

REB

I watched 5 minutes of Geelong v Collingwood and the rolling maul covered no ground so I switched over.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:58 am

1: It was too early for any more teams.
2: The standard will improve dramatically in the next 3 to 5 years, my daughter is in the Crows under 16 elite talent squad and their trainings are full on, they hone in on all areas of the game and I'm sure all the other teams are doing the same, they also have an under 18 talent squad too.

It will get there, the football observer needs to be patient but the AFL also needs to be patient too and not try selling something that isn't ripe yet.

A team from each state and two from Victoria would suffice for now.
Last edited by Lightning McQueen on Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby woodublieve12 » Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:03 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:

1: It was too early for any more team.
2: The standard will improve dramatically in the next 3 to 5 years, my daughter is in the Crows under 16 elite talent squad and their trainings are full on, they hone in on all areas of the game and I'm sure all the other teams are doing the same, they also have an under 18 talent squad too.

It will get there, the football observer needs to be patient but the AFL also needs to be patient too and not try selling something that isn't ripe yet.

well said LM....

People need to relax, it's in it's infancy... I love the idea of the comp.

You just need to look at the mens game, even 30 years ago and looks like puss compared to todays standards
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3016 times
Been liked: 2384 times

Postby MW » Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:07 am

I don't watch many sports because I don't find it interesting or entertaining. I'm not sure why people cannot do the same for AFLW if it falls into that category for them.
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2581 times
Been liked: 1822 times

Postby shoe boy » Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:38 am

Do they charge entry to watch ?
shoe boy
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 488 times
Been liked: 209 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:55 am

shoe boy wrote:Do they charge entry to watch ?

No.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby Corona Man » Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:02 am

shoe boy wrote:Do they charge entry to watch ?

No, only to leave.
1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015.... And don't you forget it!
Corona Man
Coach

Has liked: 1275 times
Been liked: 3461 times
Grassroots Team: Echunga

Postby David Brent » Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:30 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:

1: It was too early for any more teams.

LM I would be interested to know if you think the skills & ability of your daughter & girls in her age group right now would rival that of most of the ladies playing in the top comp atm?
If you can keep your head when all around you have lost theirs, then you probably haven't understood the seriousness of the situation.
David Brent
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 98 times
Been liked: 161 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL