AFLW - Womens AFL

Talk on the national game

Re: AFLW - Womens AFL

Postby LMA » Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:41 pm

carey wrote:
carey wrote:Surely the AFLW score differently to the men's games in terms of ranking points?

Erin Phillips 241 points? WTF :shock:

13 Kicks
6 Handballs
6 Tackles

good game yes, 241 point no way in the world.

Tonight Paddy Cripps

33 disposals
4 tackles

115 ranking points.

Point proven.

Clitty licks is an off field stat in the Men's

........yeah I know, sorry to offend
LMA
Coach

Has liked: 387 times
Been liked: 714 times
Grassroots Team: Port District

Postby Dutchy » Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:08 am

Not sure anyone who says it hasn't improved this season has watched any games, much better skills, girls are much fitter and the outside game has been much better, teams are getting the ball away from contested situations much more regularly thru some better structures.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3482 times

Postby Mr Beefy » Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:30 pm

Dutchy wrote:Not sure anyone who says it hasn't improved this season has watched any games, much better skills, girls are much fitter and the outside game has been much better, teams are getting the ball away from contested situations much more regularly thru some better structures.
I watched 1 game last weekend and thought the standard had improved greatly. And im no fan of it
Mr Beefy
Coach

Has liked: 404 times
Been liked: 651 times
Grassroots Team: Rosewater

Postby Bum Crack » Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:34 pm

Mr Beefy wrote:
Dutchy wrote:Not sure anyone who says it hasn't improved this season has watched any games, much better skills, girls are much fitter and the outside game has been much better, teams are getting the ball away from contested situations much more regularly thru some better structures.
I watched 1 game last weekend and thought the standard had improved greatly. And im no fan of it

That's the problem. It has improved but it's still bloody horrible to watch.
So you've seen everything have you?
Yep
Have you ever seen a man eat his own head?
No
Well you haven't seen everything then have you.
Bum Crack
Coach

Has liked: 320 times
Been liked: 884 times
Grassroots Team: Berri

Postby Dutchy » Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:11 pm

Everyone has a choice whether to watch it or not, but those trying to compare it to mens are never going to be happy, I enjoy it for what it is, competitive footy.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3482 times

Postby woodublieve12 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:40 pm

Dutchy wrote:Everyone has a choice whether to watch it or not, but those trying to compare it to mens are never going to be happy, I enjoy it for what it is, competitive footy.

this!
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3016 times
Been liked: 2384 times

Postby Booney » Fri Mar 01, 2019 3:21 pm

Dutchy wrote:Everyone has a choice whether to watch it or not, but those trying to compare it to mens are never going to be happy, I enjoy it for what it is, competitive footy.

I can't work it out. Either they're watching it to decide it's shit, if so, why watch something if you think it's shit? That's stupid. If they're not watching it and still saying it's shit you're not making an informed opinion and look stupid again.

Me, I've watched a grand total of about 3 minutes of it this year, as such, I can't form an opinion.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Fri Mar 01, 2019 3:37 pm

I don't mind the womens footy show on Sunday's, you get a good wrap up of each game, you get to familiarize yourself with the better players and teams in the comp and you get the highlights which makes you appreciate the better skills and passages of play.

I'm time poor and have no foxtel or no real vested interest in it at the moment so I'm happy to let it grow and catch on when it does pick up.

Knowing a few girls that are in the system but haven't been drafted, or have been drafted and haven't debuted yet astounds me.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby Bum Crack » Fri Mar 01, 2019 3:40 pm

Booney wrote:

I can't work it out. Either they're watching it to decide it's shit, if so, why watch something if you think it's shit? That's stupid. If they're not watching it and still saying it's shit you're not making an informed opinion and look stupid again.

Me, I've watched a grand total of about 3 minutes of it this year, as such, I can't form an opinion.

I don't watch it and it's ******* shit.
So you've seen everything have you?
Yep
Have you ever seen a man eat his own head?
No
Well you haven't seen everything then have you.
Bum Crack
Coach

Has liked: 320 times
Been liked: 884 times
Grassroots Team: Berri

Postby amber_fluid » Fri Mar 01, 2019 3:44 pm

It’s great that women’s footy is growing and there’s a pathway to the AFLW now but that aside the standard is shit compared to the men’s.
I’d rather watch Div 7 reserves as the standard is similar.

IMO it won’t grow and draw big crowds IF they charge an admission fee.
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2217 times
Been liked: 2508 times

Postby Booney » Fri Mar 01, 2019 4:01 pm

Bum Crack wrote:
Booney wrote:

:lol:
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Booney » Fri Mar 01, 2019 4:02 pm

amber_fluid wrote:It’s great that women’s footy is growing and there’s a pathway to the AFLW now but that aside the standard is shit compared to the men’s.

Why would you even compare the two? You can't, they're light years a part.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby amber_fluid » Fri Mar 01, 2019 4:07 pm

Booney wrote:
amber_fluid wrote:It’s great that women’s footy is growing and there’s a pathway to the AFLW now but that aside the standard is shit compared to the men’s.

Why would you even compare the two? You can't, they're light years a part.

It’s natural to compare it like any sport.
Some women’s sport is far better to watch as it offers a point of difference.

Women’s footy is trying to copy men’s footy but the standard is no where near it.
They should play with different rules or numbers or something to make it unique.

I’ve tried watching it several times but the skills are very ordinary.
As for the low scoring, I’d almost prefer soccer*

* I hate soccer with a passion, bloody pansy sport.
amber_fluid
Coach

Postby mots02 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 5:04 pm

Bum Crack wrote:
Booney wrote:

SA Footy Logic
mots02
League - Top 5

Has liked: 134 times
Been liked: 853 times
Grassroots Team: Reynella

Postby Armchair expert » Fri Mar 01, 2019 5:12 pm

They rushed it, they needed to take 5 years developing 16-21 year olds to teach them the skills of the game...when you have 30 year olds that can't mark or kick a drop punt then there really is little hope for them. The quality will no doubt improve its just whether people will still be interested when it does. If they can get to under 15 male quality then they would have done well.
Dave Warner will be missed!
Armchair expert
Coach

Has liked: 379 times
Been liked: 1414 times
Grassroots Team: Ports

Postby Corona Man » Fri Mar 01, 2019 5:13 pm

To make any type of comparison of Women’s footy to mens is not very fair. It’s still a very new game to many of them and of course the skills are not there. Boys have spent a good part of their lives kicking and catching a footy, I think the next generation of girls, who grow up doing will be a better crop. I am a little torn on the issue, daughter plays with her local club and she loves it. She barely gets a kick, but so what, she’s having fun and staying fit. I’ve umpired a number of girls games too and again at local level the skills vary, from ok, to awful. Girls games can either be really easy, or bloody difficult to umpire in.
1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015.... And don't you forget it!
Corona Man
Coach

Has liked: 1275 times
Been liked: 3461 times
Grassroots Team: Echunga

Postby amber_fluid » Fri Mar 01, 2019 5:16 pm

Corona Man wrote:To make any type of comparison of Women’s footy to mens is not very fair. It’s still a very new game to many of them and of course the skills are not there. Boys have spent a good part of their lives kicking and catching a footy, I think the next generation of girls, who grow up doing will be a better crop. I am a little torn on the issue, daughter plays with her local club and she loves it. She barely gets a kick, but so what, she’s having fun and staying fit. I’ve umpired a number of girls games too and again at local level the skills vary, from ok, to awful. Girls games can either be really easy, or bloody difficult to umpire in.

I don’t think anyone begrudges the girls playing.
It’s just the standard is poor.
They should have developed it more at local level first before going on the big stage.
amber_fluid
Coach

Postby amber_fluid » Fri Mar 01, 2019 5:23 pm

Armchair expert wrote:They rushed it, they needed to take 5 years developing 16-21 year olds to teach them the skills of the game...when you have 30 year olds that can't mark or kick a drop punt then there really is little hope for them. The quality will no doubt improve its just whether people will still be interested when it does. If they can get to under 15 male quality then they would have done well.

Spot on mate.
amber_fluid
Coach

Postby Corona Man » Fri Mar 01, 2019 5:24 pm

amber_fluid wrote:
Corona Man wrote:To make any type of comparison of Women’s footy to mens is not very fair. It’s still a very new game to many of them and of course the skills are not there. Boys have spent a good part of their lives kicking and catching a footy, I think the next generation of girls, who grow up doing will be a better crop. I am a little torn on the issue, daughter plays with her local club and she loves it. She barely gets a kick, but so what, she’s having fun and staying fit. I’ve umpired a number of girls games too and again at local level the skills vary, from ok, to awful. Girls games can either be really easy, or bloody difficult to umpire in.

I don’t think anyone begrudges the girls playing.
It’s just the standard is poor.
They should have developed it more at local level first before going on the big stage.

I agree, it’s sooooo unlike the AFL to money grab!
1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015.... And don't you forget it!
Corona Man
Coach

Has liked: 1275 times
Been liked: 3461 times
Grassroots Team: Echunga

Postby Jim05 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 5:31 pm

Women’s tennis is still shit and they have about 100 years head start on AFLW
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3534 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL