AFLW - Womens AFL

Talk on the national game

Re: AFLW - Womens AFL

Postby Corona Man » Fri Mar 01, 2019 5:44 pm

Jim05 wrote:
Corona Man wrote:To make any type of comparison of Women’s footy to mens is not very fair. It’s still a very new game to many of them and of course the skills are not there. Boys have spent a good part of their lives kicking and catching a footy, I think the next generation of girls, who grow up doing will be a better crop. I am a little torn on the issue, daughter plays with her local club and she loves it. She barely gets a kick, but so what, she’s having fun and staying fit. I’ve umpired a number of girls games too and again at local level the skills vary, from ok, to awful. Girls games can either be really easy, or bloody difficult to umpire in.

Women’s tennis is still shit and they have about 100 years head start on AFLW

You’ve lost the plot Jim.... All tennis is shit!
1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015.... And don't you forget it!
Corona Man
Coach

Has liked: 1275 times
Been liked: 3461 times
Grassroots Team: Echunga

Postby amber_fluid » Fri Mar 01, 2019 5:53 pm

Corona Man wrote:
Jim05 wrote:
Corona Man wrote:To make any type of comparison of Women’s footy to mens is not very fair. It’s still a very new game to many of them and of course the skills are not there. Boys have spent a good part of their lives kicking and catching a footy, I think the next generation of girls, who grow up doing will be a better crop. I am a little torn on the issue, daughter plays with her local club and she loves it. She barely gets a kick, but so what, she’s having fun and staying fit. I’ve umpired a number of girls games too and again at local level the skills vary, from ok, to awful. Girls games can either be really easy, or bloody difficult to umpire in.

You’ve lost the plot Jim.... All tennis is shit!

That we all can agree upon.
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2217 times
Been liked: 2508 times

Postby Dutchy » Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:47 pm

amber_fluid wrote:
Women’s footy is trying to copy men’s footy but the standard is no where near it.
They should play with different rules or numbers or something to make it unique.

They already play 16 a side
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3482 times

Postby amber_fluid » Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:50 pm

Dutchy wrote:
amber_fluid wrote:
Women’s footy is trying to copy men’s footy but the standard is no where near it.
They should play with different rules or numbers or something to make it unique.

On big ovals though.
They need to play on small suburban grounds to make scoring easier.
Their 25 kicks are more suited to smaller grounds.
amber_fluid
Coach

Postby LMA » Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:30 pm

Jim05 wrote:

And get the same pay for half the workload. Remember when the Williams girls said they could beat any male player ranked outside the top 200, some dude just outside the top 200 took on the challenge and won comfortably and said he played like a player ranked 500 just to keep it interesting.
LMA
Coach

Has liked: 387 times
Been liked: 714 times
Grassroots Team: Port District

Postby carey » Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:47 pm

Laughable

I remember last season blokes on here I have a high opinion of stating AFLW sides beating senior SAAFL sides. Absolutely laughable wouldn’t beat the better under 15 sides. Hence why in opinion you can’t compare any AFLW to any level of males playing Aussies rules as it’s peas and carrots.

It just frustrates me the false numbers they ram down our throats. Great Crowd- Of course it is, in the democratic we currently live in its a FREE night out with the kids, some aren’t as fortunate as other to afford other things to do. Start charging and it’ll be family members and friends only in the crowd.

Minor I know but, the super coach numbers totally fabricated for woman to pump up the game.

The poster girls- Mo Hope- Shit, Tex Perkins- Shit and the Brisbane super star- Shit
They’re are far better young girls than these yet they’re up in lights! How? Marquee my ass

My Uber is here. Over and out
you've gota keep on keep'n on .........
carey
Coach

Has liked: 2796 times
Been liked: 2985 times
Grassroots Team: Paralowie

Postby Corona Man » Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:02 am

Such a pity the Uber turned up. You were building up a great head of steam Carey and I got the feeling a “dick in your ass” type sledge was only a sentence or two away!
1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015.... And don't you forget it!
Corona Man
Coach

Has liked: 1275 times
Been liked: 3461 times
Grassroots Team: Echunga

Postby amber_fluid » Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:18 am

Corona Man wrote:Such a pity the Uber turned up. You were building up a great head of steam Carey and I got the feeling a “dick in your ass” type sledge was only a sentence or two away!

A dick up the arse comment in the AFLW thread would be interesting................
amber_fluid
Coach

Postby Sharksta » Sun Mar 03, 2019 1:23 am

hollywood7477 wrote:
LaughingKookaburra wrote:I just don’t know how the hell anyone could miss that in the goal square 30 metres on their own. I’m still in shock!

Google Josh Bruce he’s missed a few from the goalsquare

Jack Newnes today [emoji33]
Sharksta
Rookie

Has liked: 476 times
Been liked: 58 times

Postby Dutchy » Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:30 am

amber_fluid wrote:
Dutchy wrote:
amber_fluid wrote:

On big ovals though.
They need to play on small suburban grounds to make scoring easier.
Their 25 kicks are more suited to smaller grounds.

Smaller ovals would make it much scrappier, watched all of the North/Crows game yesterday and it was a good enjoyable spectacle, ball pinged up and down the ground with much less stoppages than previous years. One thing that stood out to me was both teams hitting leading forwards, that wasn't happening in the first 2 years.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3482 times

Postby Brodlach » Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:27 pm

Watched a bit on the weekend, standard is getting far better. Adelaide v Roos game was entertaining
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4206 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby MW » Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:37 pm

I watched the last 10 minutes and was surprised how many kicks hit their targets. Definitely improving. My daughter plays U14 last year (U16 this year) and each side she plays there is 3-4 guns who skill wise could probably play AFLW now besides the physicality. Next 4 years the league will blossom.
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2581 times
Been liked: 1822 times

Postby valleys07 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:45 pm

MW wrote:I watched the last 10 minutes and was surprised how many kicks hit their targets. Definitely improving. My daughter plays U14 last year (U16 this year) and each side she plays there is 3-4 guns who skill wise could probably play AFLW now besides the physicality. Next 4 years the league will blossom.

I'm of the same opinion. The competition in it's infancy has been littered with ladies either transitioning from other codes or choosing to play footy in addition to. I wonder if the investment in junior pathways for women will see an influx of pure footballers (if that makes sense), thus lifting the standard of the game.
Last edited by valleys07 on Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Think of me like Yoda, but instead of being little and green I wear suits and I'm awesome. I'm your bro—I'm Broda!”

HOGG Shield 2015 Division I Premiers.
HOGG Shield 2017 Premier League Premiers.
valleys07
Coach

Has liked: 767 times
Been liked: 1168 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby Booney » Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:46 pm

MW wrote:I watched the last 10 minutes and was surprised how many kicks hit their targets. Definitely improving. My daughter plays U14 last year (U16 this year) and each side she plays there is 3-4 guns who skill wise could probably play AFLW now besides the physicality. Next 4 years the league will blossom.

You don't know what you're talking about.

I don't watch it and know it's shit.

:lol:

( Couldn't have all this positive discussion without some #safootylogic )
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby Brodlach » Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:06 pm

That is SaFooty logic

I think some of the “part time” footballers have gone past some of the original stars like Taylor Harris and Mo Hope.
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4206 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:30 pm

Yeah mate, the high performance training that goes into the teens now is far superior to what it was a couple of years ago, we'll see the benefits big time in 3 to 4 years, gradual til then.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby LMA » Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:48 pm

valleys07 wrote:

I'm of the same opinion. The competition in it's infancy has been littered with ladies either transitioning from other codes or choosing to play footy in addition to. I wonder if the investment in junior pathways for women will see an influx of pure footballers (if that makes sense), thus lifting the standard of the game.

Speaking of which, will we see Heather next season
LMA
Coach

Has liked: 387 times
Been liked: 714 times
Grassroots Team: Port District

Postby Gozu » Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:18 pm

Watching a bit of the Collingwood game yesterday Sharni Layton doesn't look particularly suited to football.
"The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment" – Warren Bennis
Gozu
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 659 times

AFLW - Womens AFL

Postby RustyCage » Sun Mar 10, 2019 1:50 pm

Armchair expert wrote:They rushed it, they needed to take 5 years developing 16-21 year olds to teach them the skills of the game...when you have 30 year olds that can't mark or kick a drop punt then there really is little hope for them. The quality will no doubt improve its just whether people will still be interested when it does. If they can get to under 15 male quality then they would have done well.

Yep, but in that time any one of decent ability is off to play a sport where they can represent at the very least in a national competition, rather than just something as low level as the SANFLW
I'm gonna break my rusty cage and run
RustyCage

Has liked: 1260 times
Been liked: 933 times

Postby Jimmy_041 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:00 am

I’ve only ever watched 15 minutes of the “elite” competition so I’m probably not qualified to comment
Jimmy_041
Coach

Has liked: 718 times
Been liked: 1071 times
Grassroots Team: Prince Alfred OC

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL