Port Adelaide 2019

Talk on the national game

Re: Port Adelaide 2019

Postby Booney » Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:01 am

TWO Port Adelaide Football Club greats have been inducted into the club’s Hall of Fame and the 1962, 1963 and 1965 Premiership sides have been honoured at a gala to launch the 2019 season.

800 people were in attendance at the Adelaide Convention Centre for the club’s second combined Hall of Fame and Season Launch event.

Ahead of the blockbuster 2019 AFL Premiership season, the playing list was showcased to the crowd with eleven new recruits being presented their guernseys by members of the club’s Hall of Fame, giving them a first-hand induction into the history and culture that underpins the nation’s most successful football club.

As well as celebrating the present and future of the club, the event honoured the 39 legends and heroes who already make up the Port Adelaide Football Club Hall of Fame.

For the second time, a Premiership team was inducted into the Hall of Fame with the teams that dominated the first half of the 1960s joining the record-breaking six-in-a-row team of the 1950s, which was inducted last year.

Eleven members of the 1962, 1963 and 1965 Premiership teams were in attendance to be elevated among other greats of the club.

Two new individuals were also added to the Hall of Fame including seven-time SANFL Premiership defender George Fiacchi who was inducted by friend and multiple premiership teammate Tim Ginever, in recognition of his 236 senior games for the club.

The club’s AFL games record holder Kane Cornes was also recognised after winning four John Cahill Medals as the club’s best and fairest, and twice being named All-Australian.

The combined Season Launch and Hall of Fame event is an annual tradition each March with supporters invited to join players and existing members of the Hall of Fame ahead of the start of the AFL Premiership Season.

2019 Port Adelaide Football Club Hall of Fame inductees:

1962 Premiership
Adelaide Oval, September 29
Crowd: 43,567
Port Adelaide 8.10 (58) def
West Adelaide 7.13 (55)
Best: I. Hannaford, P. Obst, G. Motley, D. Gill, J. Potter, J. Cahill
Goals: J. Cahill, J. Potter, G. Virgo 2, N. Hayes, D. Gill

1963 Premiership
Adelaide Oval, October 5
Crowd: 52,668
Port Adelaide 11.14 (80) def
North Adelaide 6.11 (47)
Best: T. Obst, R. Philp, R. Elleway, J. Cahill, R. Fabian, N. Hayes
Goals: R. Philp 3, S Traynor 2, T. Obst, B. Luke, P. Obst, J. Potter, D. Gill, R. Bray

1965 Premiership
Adelaide Oval, October 2
Crowd: 62,543
Port Adelaide 12.8 (80) def
Sturt 12.5 (77)
Best: G. Motley, J. Cahill, J. Potter, R. Philp, R. Elix, K. Salmon
Goals: E. Freeman 3, J. Potter, P. Mead 2, J. Cahill, R. Philp, T. Obst, S. Traynor, R. Beaufoy

George Fiacchi:

Games: 236

Goals: 53

7x SANFL Premiership player (1988, 1989, 1990, 1992, 1994, 1995, 1996)

Port Adelaide life member (1994)

Jack Oatey Medal (1990)

Kane Cornes:

Games: 300

Goals: 93

AFL Premiership player (2004)

AFL pre-season Premiership player (2001, 2002)

Port Adelaide Best and Fairest (2007, 2008, 2010, 2012)

Port Adelaide life member (2010)

All-Australian (2006, 2007)

Best First Year Player (2001)
Most Improved Player (2004)
Leading Disposals (2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013)
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7491 times
Been liked: 10772 times

Postby valleys07 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:15 am

Cornes - "So George, did you actually play in the 1990 Grand Final"?

:lol: :lol:
“Think of me like Yoda, but instead of being little and green I wear suits and I'm awesome. I'm your bro—I'm Broda!”

HOGG Shield 2015 Division I Premiers.
HOGG Shield 2017 Premier League Premiers.
valleys07
Coach

Has liked: 767 times
Been liked: 1169 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby valleys07 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:17 am

Congratulations to all inductees, all worthy recipients of the accolade.

Loved George's speech. Spoke with humour, passion and genuine love for the club that has given him so much.
“Think of me like Yoda, but instead of being little and green I wear suits and I'm awesome. I'm your bro—I'm Broda!”

valleys07
Coach

Postby valleys07 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:26 pm

valleys07 wrote:Congratulations to all inductees, all worthy recipients of the accolade.

Loved George's speech. Spoke with humour, passion and genuine love for the club that has given him so much.

Just on Fiacchi's speech, he happened to mention that good friend and fellow Magpies premiership defender Roger Delaney was recently diagnosed with Prostate Cancer, and goes in for his first lot of surgery shortly.

Wishing Roger the best of luck with what lies ahead.

valleys07
Coach

Postby valleys07 » Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:24 am

HOW A CRICKET PREMIERSHIP STRENGTHENED TIES

Footballer’s can often become caught up in the stress associated with AFL and living in the public eye.

As with any job, it’s critical to have time away from the workplace to maintain a healthy relationship with your career and work-life balance.

For AFL players, with the growing demands of off-field commitments and the rise of social media, time away from the game can be hard to come by.

Finding that time is what led the Port Adelaide Football Club to create their own team to participate in Division 3 of the Adelaide Turf Cricket Association Twenty20 competition.

Representing the Grange Cricket Club, the Power team featured a mix of past and present players and Port Adelaide staff members.

As the team took to the field on Tuesday night for their final they were surrounded by the entire Port Adelaide football community as players Travis Boak and Tom Clurey and assistant coach Nathan Bassett led the team to victory.

“It was actually the first flag for a few of us that we’d ever won in any sport, at any age… it was good fun,” Travis Boak told AFLPlayers.com.au after the victory.

Clurey, who had fallen short of a number of cricket premierships growing up, won his first premiership in sport with the team.

“It was really good fun to do something together with the boys outside of your everyday football life,” he told AFLPlayers.com.au.

Having grown up playing local cricket in the Victorian countryside, Clurey was well-equipped with bat in hand, making an unbeaten half century in the final.

The team, which was organised through Power co-captain Tom Jonas, were unbeaten throughout the tournament with spiritual leader and unofficial coach Bassett top-scoring throughout the finals series.

Despite Tom Jonas not taking to the field, he became the self-appointed chairman of selectors, water boy and umpire.

Although there were no official training sessions, the competitive nature of Boak meant he tried to organise a few net sessions to improve his technique.

“Trav scored 50 in the first game and took 3-7 in the first match but kept saying we needed practice,” Bassett told AFLPlayers.com.au.

“I said to him ‘mate you just took three-fa and a cracking slips catch, I think you’re going fine.’”

The foundation of the team was to help the playing group and staff develop important connections away from the high-pressure environment associated with football.

“It gave us a great opportunity to build a connection with each other and have a lot of fun along the way,” Boak said.

“You know what that person is like as a footballer and what they’re like in a training environment but to have things outside of footy and to learn what they’re like outside, who they are as a person, what they like to do and how they act helps to build a better connection.”

Port Adelaide have been vocal in their support of players enjoying hobbies outside of football, with the initiative being applauded by Ken Hinkley and General Manager of Football Chris Davies.

Boak said having the support of the club was critical in allowing the playing group to switch off as they walk out the doors in Alberton.

“You’re not walking into the club or leaving the club thinking ‘shit I’ve got to be in footy mode the whole time,’” he said.

“It makes you want to come back to the footy club and you start to feel refreshed and ready to go again.

“(Football) can be so demanding mentally and physically and when you’re at the club you can’t escape it.”

Bassett, who played over 200 games for Adelaide before joining the Power as an assistant coach, said the club’s position was to develop balanced athletes and people.

“Better rounded athletes perform better on the field and are more likely to come out and be grounded and more successful once they leave the AFL system,” he said.

For Boak, the tournament was the most fun he’d had on a Tuesday night for as long as he could remember, giving him the opportunity to switch his mind off from football as took to the crease.

“In any job it’s really important to have something outside your natural workplace,” he said.

“We can get caught up being in football mode 24/7 and if you take that home there’s no turn off.

“It can shorten careers and create mental health problems because you’re never switching off from things that are so demanding in your life.”

As pre-season training ramped up ahead of the JLT Community Series and season proper beginning, the Tuesday night Twenty20 tournament became a period of mental release for those playing.

Clurey, who is a keen golfer, waterskier and fisherman, said his involvement in the team gave him a “normal” feel about life.

Despite contentious commentary surrounding the off-field interests of players, each cricketer who donned their cricket whites for Grange was ticked off from the Port Adelaide club doctor and high performance staff.

As the football season approaches the Port Adelaide playing group will continue to explore their off-field endeavours as they seek to find a mental release away from football.

“I think it’s important for mental health going forward for any person, in any job to have something that excites them away from their normal work,” Boak said.

“It’s important to have something to stay happy, to stay driven and to stay positive in what they want to achieve.”

valleys07
Coach

Postby amber_fluid » Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:47 am

I’m not a fan of Kane’s but his record speaks for itself.
Chad and his Dad were far better footballers IMO but his record trumps both of them easily.
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2224 times
Been liked: 2519 times

Postby UK Fan » Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:56 pm

amber_fluid wrote:I’m not a fan of Kane’s but his record speaks for itself.
Chad and his Dad were far better footballers IMO but his record trumps both of them easily.

I Never really saw Graham play so I can’t judge but Chad was better than Kane imho
fester69 wrote: I'm full of "pish and wind" !!You can call me weak !!

MW wrote: Well call me a special asshole!.

Booney wrote: I'm a happy clapper **** stick.

THE SKY HAS FALLEN!!!!
UK Fan
Coach

Has liked: 1202 times
Been liked: 502 times

Postby UK Fan » Sat Mar 09, 2019 3:31 pm

Robbie Gray as tough as they come. I thought he was out after head clash with Ryder. Just got up and played on.

Respect
fester69 wrote: I'm full of "pish and wind" !!You can call me weak !!

MW wrote: Well call me a special asshole!.

Booney wrote: I'm a happy clapper **** stick.

THE SKY HAS FALLEN!!!!
UK Fan
Coach

Has liked: 1202 times
Been liked: 502 times

Postby Brodlach » Sat Mar 09, 2019 3:50 pm

Port have a good one in Butters. Might be known as the Western Star. Really knows how to spread and is quite silky smooth.
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4216 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby Corona Man » Sat Mar 09, 2019 3:53 pm

Brodlach wrote:Port have a good one in Butters. Might be known as the Western Star. Really knows how to spread and is quite silky smooth.

Has a cholesterol problem though.
1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015.... And don't you forget it!
Corona Man
Coach

Has liked: 1278 times
Been liked: 3485 times
Grassroots Team: Echunga

Postby GWW » Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:27 pm

UK Fan wrote:

I Never really saw Graham play so I can’t judge but Chad was better than Kane imho

Chad was undoubtedly better.
GWW

Has liked: 816 times
Been liked: 166 times

Postby Brodlach » Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:57 pm

Ryder with a fractured cheekbone
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4216 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby Spargo » Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:36 pm

GWW wrote:
UK Fan wrote:

Graham leaves them both for dead.
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ
2024 champ, Spargo’s Good Friday Cup @ Ascot

I’ll wait for an angel, but I won’t hold my breath
‘Magine they’re busy, think I’m doin’ ok…
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5478 times
Been liked: 5119 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby Corona Man » Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:51 pm

UK Fan wrote:

I saw Graham play. It’s line ball between the 3, does that give you any clue?
1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015.... And don't you forget it!
Corona Man
Coach

Has liked: 1278 times
Been liked: 3485 times
Grassroots Team: Echunga

Postby Rik E Boy » Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:08 pm

Spargo wrote:
GWW wrote:
UK Fan wrote:

Graham leaves them both for dead.

Absolutely he does!

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1698 times
Been liked: 1818 times

Postby LMA » Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:26 pm

Love how past legends who've played a **** load of games for the magpies bat for the power but the wobbly down the road keeps saying its not port, **** off, 95% collingwood supporters can't get past the colours.
LMA
Coach

Has liked: 387 times
Been liked: 714 times
Grassroots Team: Port District

Postby mots02 » Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:35 am

LMA wrote:Love how past legends who've played a **** load of games for the magpies bat for the power but the wobbly down the road keeps saying its not port, **** off, 95% collingwood supporters can't get past the colours.

Does this site have an English translation function? :-? :D
mots02
League - Top 5

Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 877 times
Grassroots Team: Reynella

Postby stan » Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:31 am

mots02 wrote:
LMA wrote:Love how past legends who've played a **** load of games for the magpies bat for the power but the wobbly down the road keeps saying its not port, **** off, 95% collingwood supporters can't get past the colours.

Geez you ask for a lot. Could you imagine the coding and algorithm needed to convert Port speak to English.

I doubt Google have managed this yet ;)
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1253 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby LMA » Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:37 am

stan wrote:
mots02 wrote:

Geez you ask for a lot. Could you imagine the coding and algorithm needed to convert Port speak to English.

I doubt Google have managed this yet ;)

Made perfect sense at the time :lol:
LMA
Coach

Has liked: 387 times
Been liked: 714 times
Grassroots Team: Port District

Postby carey » Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:51 pm

Steven May misses round 1. Nice
you've gota keep on keep'n on .........
carey