AFLW - Womens AFL

Talk on the national game

Re: AFLW - Womens AFL

Postby LMA » Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:22 am

Jimmy_041 wrote:I’ve only ever watched 15 minutes of the “elite” competition so I’m probably not qualified to comment

I'd say you're over qualified
LMA
Coach

Has liked: 387 times
Been liked: 714 times
Grassroots Team: Port District

Postby Rik E Boy » Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:09 pm

Don't get all the hate. Footy can be a game for girls. If you don't like it don't watch it. Not that hard surely. Before girls would get to a certain age and then they could no longer play footy. At least now there is a pathway for teenage girls and women to play the greatest game of all. Of course the standard isn't as good. You watch it for what it is not for what it's not. The skills might be down but the women play for keeps. You can't lose too many matches before your year is over.

It can be tough to love but I've watched quite a few matches and there have been a couple of good ones. I really enjoyed GWS v Carlton and the Roos vs. Demons game was good as well. It's better than watching A League or ******* teeball shit that's for sure.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1697 times
Been liked: 1813 times

Postby woodublieve12 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:34 am

Rik E Boy wrote:Don't get all the hate. Footy can be a game for girls. If you don't like it don't watch it. Not that hard surely. Before girls would get to a certain age and then they could no longer play footy. At least now there is a pathway for teenage girls and women to play the greatest game of all. Of course the standard isn't as good. You watch it for what it is not for what it's not. The skills might be down but the women play for keeps. You can't lose too many matches before your year is over.

It can be tough to love but I've watched quite a few matches and there have been a couple of good ones. I really enjoyed GWS v Carlton and the Roos vs. Demons game was good as well. It's better than watching A League or ******* teeball shit that's for sure.

regards,

REB

Could agree more with you.. Well said.
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3016 times
Been liked: 2384 times

Postby valleys07 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:23 pm

Rik E Boy wrote:Don't get all the hate. Footy can be a game for girls. If you don't like it don't watch it. Not that hard surely. Before girls would get to a certain age and then they could no longer play footy. At least now there is a pathway for teenage girls and women to play the greatest game of all. Of course the standard isn't as good. You watch it for what it is not for what it's not. The skills might be down but the women play for keeps. You can't lose too many matches before your year is over.

regards,

REB

=D>
“Think of me like Yoda, but instead of being little and green I wear suits and I'm awesome. I'm your bro—I'm Broda!”

HOGG Shield 2015 Division I Premiers.
HOGG Shield 2017 Premier League Premiers.
valleys07
Coach

Has liked: 767 times
Been liked: 1168 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby Booney » Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:25 pm

regards,

REB

Whilst she is the exception and not the rule Erin Phillips shows that in time, with enough girls flicking a Sherrin around from a young age, that there is going to be some genuinely good female footballers come through the ranks.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby hollywood7477 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:43 pm

Ventured out to Unley Oval Sunday to watch the Crows v GWS AFLW game. Only went becasue the missus caught up with one of her friends from her mothers group. Stood over on the Eastern wing where the playground is with my little girl. Im not a huge fan of womens footy. Coached it last year and development wise they are way off. If they actually spent time on developing the lower leagues and drafted players that have played the game not recruit a code hopper who has never touched a footy just to market the game then the skills would be so much better. Have a look at Geelong(recruited mostly all players from the VFLW).

So i actually thought the game was pretty good from a spectators view at the game. I think watching it live at the ground you dont see the glaring skill errors that you would see watching it on TV. Also you dont have to put up with commentators consistently talking the game up not actually telling it how it is like you get in the mens game.

Overall a good game. Geez Unley oval is in good nick. beautiful ground to watch footy at
hollywood7477
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 56 times
Been liked: 71 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:57 pm

hollywood7477 wrote:Ventured out to Unley Oval Sunday to watch the Crows v GWS AFLW game. Only went becasue the missus caught up with one of her friends from her mothers group. Stood over on the Eastern wing where the playground is with my little girl. Im not a huge fan of womens footy. Coached it last year and development wise they are way off. If they actually spent time on developing the lower leagues and drafted players that have played the game not recruit a code hopper who has never touched a footy just to market the game then the skills would be so much better. Have a look at Geelong(recruited mostly all players from the VFLW).

So i actually thought the game was pretty good from a spectators view at the game. I think watching it live at the ground you dont see the glaring skill errors that you would see watching it on TV. Also you dont have to put up with commentators consistently talking the game up not actually telling it how it is like you get in the mens game.

Overall a good game. [b] Unley oval is in good nick. beautiful ground to watch footy at

Bloody oath it is, that was my debut there as my daughter played in the curtain raiser.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby amber_fluid » Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:40 pm

Booney wrote:

regards,

REB

Whilst she is the exception and not the rule Erin Phillips shows that in time, with enough girls flicking a Sherrin around from a young age, that there is going to be some genuinely good female footballers come through the ranks.

Erin Phillips is 10 times better than the next best female footballer.
It’s actually embarrassing for the others when she’s playing half well.
Her skills are sublime.
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2217 times
Been liked: 2508 times

Postby Rik E Boy » Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:02 am

Booney wrote:

regards,

REB

Well her old man was an exception to the rule as well. Even when he was big and slow that football brain was working overtime. Port had a lot of experienced players who stuck to the basics with physical power and Greg (cootchie was that his nickname lol) was THE key component of many very strong Magpie combinations. He was a menace for a non-portonian and I didn't drop too many tears when his career finally finished.

As for your point, I think some of the new draftees are a definite step up in class. That Morrison from Geelong, the number one pick, looked the goods but she did an ACL after one game. You could tell she was a footballer as opposed to Sharni Lawton who looks lost out there. At this stage with women's footy I think the tackling is excellent and the coaching of defensive structures is efectuve which further exacerbates the shortage in skill execution.

Regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Postby Booney » Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:50 am

Went along and watched my niece's first game yesterday down at Encounter Bay, she plays for Willunga. I think it's U13's ( or thereabouts ) and for many of the girls it was their very first game. They played from one goal line to the other end of the centre square, 12-a-side.

Pleasantly surprised by the standard, wouldn't have thought it was that much worse than a boys U13 game, perhaps the intensity down a little as some of them were breaking their duck. If the boys U13 was 10/10 this would have been a 6.5-7/10. It wasn't unwatchable.

The stand outs were standouts, the ones who were clueless were clueless, the only difference I would say was noticeable was the reading of the play, many of the girls were lost but as noted above it was the first game for many of them.

Two of three really stood out, taking marks one grab hands in front of their face and kicking drop punts with regularity. Was good to see.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby DOC » Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:13 am

A kid wants to play footy. The standard does not matter. It's the fact that they are having a go. Good on em. We should encourage anyone who's having a go.

I don't get the disdain that people have for others who want to play this great game.
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 723 times
Been liked: 2076 times

Postby mots02 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:23 am

I saw the last 3/4 of the crows v melb game on the weekend. First time i've seen as much of a match this year.

Noticeable improvement in skill but also positioning. Watching the game 2 seasons ago i got frustrated as good passages of play were constantly broken down by a fumble or a missed skill - that still happens a bit but it has improved a lot and the ball moves up and down the ground far more easily and with more purpose.

The young ones that the crows have brought in are far better footballers than those they replaced - i can see that continuing over the next few years.

Hopefully more clubs start backing in the youngsters who have spent some time playing and loving the game and spend less time encouraging the code hoppers and marketable stories. If they do, it will continue to improve.
mots02
League - Top 5

Has liked: 134 times
Been liked: 853 times
Grassroots Team: Reynella

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:37 am

mots02 wrote:I saw the last 3/4 of the crows v melb game on the weekend. First time i've seen as much of a match this year.

Noticeable improvement in skill but also positioning. Watching the game 2 seasons ago i got frustrated as good passages of play were constantly broken down by a fumble or a missed skill - that still happens a bit but it has improved a lot and the ball moves up and down the ground far more easily and with more purpose.

The young ones that the crows have brought in are far better footballers than those they replaced - i can see that continuing over the next few years.

Hopefully more clubs start backing in the youngsters who have spent some time playing and loving the game and spend less time encouraging the code hoppers and marketable stories. If they do, it will continue to improve.

Junior development in girls footy is huge atm, there will be dramatic improvement over the next two to three years and then will continue to rise from there.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby whufc » Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:09 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
mots02 wrote:I saw the last 3/4 of the crows v melb game on the weekend. First time i've seen as much of a match this year.

Junior development in girls footy is huge atm, there will be dramatic improvement over the next two to three years and then will continue to rise from there.

Yep the standard will never be the same as the guys but given time it will be at a decent level like women’s netball, cricket, supers rugby etc
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5565 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Booney » Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:19 pm

"You kick like a girl!"

"I wish"

PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby MW » Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:27 pm

She's built a career on a kicking style hasn't she
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2581 times
Been liked: 1822 times

Postby HH3 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:50 pm

After a grueling 13 game career, Cecilia McIntosh is finally hanging up the boots.

Averaged 7.4 disposals a game.

https://www.facebook.com/AFL/photos/a.1 ... =3&theater

Don't show her this post, she'd kick my arse.
I TOLD YOU SO

2013/14 NFL Tipping Comp Champion
HH3
Coach

Has liked: 3301 times
Been liked: 2432 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby woodublieve12 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:56 pm

HH3 wrote:After a grueling 13 game career, Cecilia McIntosh is finally hanging up the boots.

Averaged 7.4 disposals a game.

https://www.facebook.com/AFL/photos/a.1 ... =3&theater

Don't show her this post, she'd kick my arse.

how's this comment from the post :lol:
-------
Thanks for the memories Cecelia. I remembered you handballed that one time,
pure class
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3016 times
Been liked: 2384 times

Postby Rik E Boy » Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:42 pm

The Catters make the finals with the worst percentage in the league. Thanks ladies for making sure we never had a conference system in the AFL.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Postby Gozu » Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:53 pm

We as a society have still got such a long way to go.

https://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/aflw/ ... 62de5b8fb3
"The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment" – Warren Bennis
Gozu
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 659 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL