Grade Cricket

Local cricket is the go here. Any talk about local comps, grade cricket, etc.

Re: Grade Cricket

Postby Tony Clifton » Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:19 pm

Bays hanging in there

6/271. Roach and Cunningham in now

Need 120 off 24 overs
This is Tony Clifton! A name to respect! A name to fear!
Tony Clifton
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1462 times
Been liked: 244 times
Grassroots Team: Adelaide University

Postby Eagles2014 » Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:54 pm

Semis are:

Kensington vs Adel Uni
TTG vs Adelaide

My prediction of a Kensy and Adelaide GF still a chance now!
Eagles2014
Veteran

Has liked: 124 times
Been liked: 526 times

Postby Tony Clifton » Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:16 pm

TTGs 2nd grade snuck into the finals with a last ball outright!
Tony Clifton
League - Top 5

Postby woodvillewarrior » Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:36 pm

Question for those people involved at Premier Clubs – How do you think the SACA Premier Cricket Department has performed?

Let me start by saying I think the two major people involved are very good people and by all reports easy to deal with. I also told there has been a complete change of personnel within the department and a lack of education, training and understanding of previous conventions has probably prompted this question. It is also probably related to the performance of the Permit Committee as well.
Having heard a player had been replaced in a side mid game because he had college cricket absolutely stunned me so a bit more research via mycricket and discussions with people around clubs raised some serious concerns.

Before I list them, all clubs have followed a process so if these concerns are valid, they are not aim at any club itself.

1. Replacement of players
I couldn’t find any representative cricket that would allow a replacement player for the following games. However, there are some players that I simply do not know not being involved.

a. 2nd Grade – WTDCC vs Port Adelaide
i. Mackenzie Best replaced by Ben Fulton so he could play for Rostrevor.

b. 2nd Grade – Round 10 - Southern vs Port Adelaide
i. Shaun Tanner (Southerns) - rumoured to go to a wedding

c. 1st Grade – Round 6 – Sturt vs Kensington
i. Edward Verco (Sturt) (Affects 1st, 2nd, 3rd Grades) (No idea about this player)

d. 2nd Grade – Round 7 – Southern District vs Adelaide Uni
i. Singh, Pushpinder (Southern District) (Affects 2nd, 3rd Grades)

e. 3rd Grade – Round 7 – Southern District vs Adelaide Uni
i. McCormack, Jarryd H (Southern District) or
ii. Lovelock, Luke H (Southern District) or
iii. Stidston, Joel A (Southern District)
1. Your allowed 1 replacement in 3rd Grade under the rules.
2. There was 1 replacement from 2nd Grade to 3rd Grade. (See “Singh”above as possibly incorrectly allowed)
3. That leaves 1 “extra” replacement for what valid reason?

f. 2ndGrade – Round 7 – Northern Districts vs Port Adelaide
i. Panagiotou, Tyson or Pascoe, Kirk T (Northern Districts)

g. 2nd Grade – Round 11 - Kensington vs Tea Tree Gully
i. Cappelluti, Michael and Leddicoat, Christian (Kensington)

h. 2nd Grade – Round 11 – Woodville vs Southern District
i. Hynes, Tom (Southern District) (Affects 2nd and 3rd Grades)

2. Incorrect Permits for Finals
a. Kensington had 8 permits for a 4th Grade SF team.
i. 4 of them were 100% fine as were coming down from higher grades
ii. Evans, Thomas J, Watts, Campbell (+), Woods, James C & Harms, Oliver got permits after not qualifying. I am told the reason for the permit being approved was that they were named on the piece paper (ie team sheet) (not really a reason is it!)

b. Adelaide had a couple in their 4th Grade SF and GF team that had not qualified in Brad Roberts and Anthony Cormack.

c. Kensington had Simon Schwerdt play 2nd Grade T20 finals without playing a single game and William Montgomery play 3rd Grade T20 finals without playing a single game.

So what is the point of having qualifications if your fine to play after not having played any games at all?

3. Under 17 Statewide Cup
a. They rescheduled two days of cricket which they are not allowed to do.
i. Can cancel or change format of game, but not reschedule
b. The bylaws are very clear that if a major round match does not have a 1st innings result the highest team goes through.
c. Under the bylaws Southerns and East Torrens should have been joint winners.
d. As soon as the semi finals were called off, it removed Glenelg and Tea Tree Gully from the competition.
e. How the hell Glenelg is premier is an absolute joke (Glenelg has actually benefitted from using the correct bylaws previously having been awarded a premiership after heat affected games)
f. I think what we they did is a good idea and should be incorporated in the bylaws in some way. But it currently isn’t and they ignored what bylaws there were.

4. Under 14 Reds Premiership Table and Individual Stats
a. Kensington vs Southern Districts
1. Kensington batted first and made 142 in 40 overs
2. Southern District made 150 in 40 overs.
3. This is not possible as the game must end and a maximum of 148 runs if a 6 was hit while scores were tied. This match was lived scored so a ball by ball summary is available and shows that Southern Districts final score should be 144.

ii. Sturt vs Adelaide match must be rectified. (more important due to the high numbers of runs scored after the match should have completed)
1. Sturt batted first and made 135
2. Adelaide made 249 in 40 overs
3. Adelaide’s maximum score is 141 if a 6 was hit when the scores were tied.
4. There is between 108 and 113 runs that must be removed from the premiership tables and from the individuals who scored those runs.

5. Under 16s Reds
a. The Southern District vs Adelaide was restarted on the 2nd week of game. (Scheduled as a two day game yet only 40 overs bowled each on the second day - see the match audit)
b. You simply cannot restart a cricket match – once play is called by the umpire it is game on until the end.
c. Play must continue from the point it was stopped the previous week for whatever reason – in this case a dangerous pitch – and like wet weather, the remaining overs split.

6. Women’s 2nd Grade Premiership Table appears incorrect
a. Women’s 2nd Grade has performance points
b. This is not on the premiership table
c. It moves Southern District form 3rd to 2nd
d. So wrong teams are playing at incorrect grounds this week
e. And should there be adverse weather, then the wrong teams will be declared the winner

7. West End Cup Stats are wrong
a. Do they award a “one day player of the year” at Bradman Medal?
b. If so, several games are missing stats from Dec 1st.
c. Hope its not used by coaches to vote on anything that is normally sent out each year.

So if any of those concerns are valid, they may have only affected the 1st Grade, 2nd Grade, 3rd Grade, 2nd Grade T20, 3rd Grade T20, 4th Grade T20, Under 16 Reds, Under 14 Reds, Under 17s and Women’s 2nd Grade this season and possibly any Bradman Medal awards related to the One Day Comp.

As I said, this was from mostly MyCricket which never tells the whole story but it certainly raises a few questions.
woodvillewarrior
Mini-League

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 6 times

Postby Trader » Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:03 pm

That's fairly damning! Grade cricket is a basket case!!!
Danny Southern telling Plugga he's fat, I'd like to see that!
Trader
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 794 times

Postby woodvillewarrior » Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:19 pm

And magically Women’s 2nd Grade premiership table now is correct and includes performance points and the semi final game between Northern Dist vs Southern Dist at Salisbury is now at Bice Oval....
hmmm maybe an anonymous phone call to Southern's to alert them? ;-)
woodvillewarrior
Mini-League

Been liked: 6 times

Postby Tony Clifton » Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:45 pm

At least we know someone is reading the thread haha!

Can college players be replaced if they're only available for one week of a two week game? Vaguely recall that being suggested as a rule previously but can't remember if it came into the rules.

Would be sensible if so. Often the schedules don't line up.

In Victorian premier cricket it's allowed.
Tony Clifton
League - Top 5

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:31 am

That is the most astute post I've ever read on here, take the rest of the day off ww.

BTW, I was a huge Woodville Warrior fan, used to catch up to two buses and a train as a kid to watch every game regardless of where they played, used to go in the changerooms and chat with the players every week too, Malcolm Blight, Andrew Taylor and Ralph Sewer always made time for me.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4344 times
Been liked: 7921 times

Postby Gosaints » Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:00 am

woodvillewarrior wrote:And magically Women’s 2nd Grade premiership table now is correct and includes performance points and the semi final game between Northern Dist vs Southern Dist at Salisbury is now at Bice Oval....

performance points? that impact on ladder positions.

if there are performance points shouldn't games be played out for the full overs
Gosaints
Rookie

Been liked: 10 times
Grassroots Team: Glenunga

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:07 am

Gosaints wrote:
woodvillewarrior wrote:And magically Women’s 2nd Grade premiership table now is correct and includes performance points and the semi final game between Northern Dist vs Southern Dist at Salisbury is now at Bice Oval....

performance points? that impact on ladder positions.

if there are performance points shouldn't games be played out for the full overs

I'm pretty sure they are in 2nd Grade womens unless both captains agree to end it.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Gosaints » Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:15 am

don't believe that to be the case. looks like it is being made up as it goes
Gosaints
Rookie

Postby Tony Clifton » Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:23 am

Junior games should go on even once a result has been achieved. The kids need to bat and bowl.

Only games it makes sense to stop are the stand alone one day/Twenty20 competitions where Net Run Rate is used as the separator.

Every few years the rules need a couple of astute cricket rules aficionados to go over them and rewrite. All the little changes, additions and errors over time means it ends up a bit messy. The poster above should be on the panel!
Tony Clifton
League - Top 5

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:27 am

Tony Clifton wrote:Junior games should go on even once a result has been achieved. The kids need to bat and bowl.

Only games it makes sense to stop are the stand alone one day/Twenty20 competitions where Net Run Rate is used as the separator.

Every few years the rules need a couple of astute cricket rules aficionados to go over them and rewrite. All the little changes, additions and errors over time means it ends up a bit messy. The poster above should be on the panel!

Absolutely!!!

The poster above should be the panel.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Gosaints » Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:43 am

I don't really care about the teams involved, just the incorrect process.
performance points can never be used to separate ladder positions unless games are played out. otherwise you can have the farcical situation of a team bowling first against the bottom sides and gifting them runs, still knowing you will take 10 wickets, just so you have more to chase to get more performance points.
if games are called when a result is achieved performance points should never be used.

and junior games should go on.
Gosaints
Rookie

Postby Tony Clifton » Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:07 am

Spot on Gosaints

It needs to be one or the other.

All games go the distance (two and one dayers) and you use performance points

Or games finish once a result is achieved and you use NRR or that quotient thing - (runs scored * wickets taken) / (runs conceded * wickets lost) or whatever the equation is
Tony Clifton
League - Top 5

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:08 am

Gosaints wrote:I don't really care about the teams involved, just the incorrect process.
performance points can never be used to separate ladder positions unless games are played out. otherwise you can have the farcical situation of a team bowling first against the bottom sides and gifting them runs, still knowing you will take 10 wickets, just so you have more to chase to get more performance points.
if games are called when a result is achieved performance points should never be used.

What Mr Clifton said is spot on.

FWIW, I think the PDCA has the fairest point system in place out of any that I've tried to decipher.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Gosaints » Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:13 am

the biggest issue here is saca making it up as they go. I am aware of many examples of this.
in womens 1st grade, teams that are scheduled to play port adelaide are awarded a forfeit and given the same points as the team that scored the most points that round.
in womens 2nd grade round 5 Glenelg had to forfeit against Kensington as our pitch was not prepared. no issue with that. Kensington were not awarded the same points as the team that scored the most that round (18.41) they are given 15 points - why the difference, both are forfeits yet different points are awarded.
Gosaints
Rookie

Postby whufc » Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:13 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Gosaints wrote:I don't really care about the teams involved, just the incorrect process.

What Mr Clifton said is spot on.

FWIW, I think the PDCA has the fairest point system in place out of any that I've tried to decipher.

Disagree, never liked the performance points as they are far to big an advantage to teams playing on the much smaller ovals. Whilst it wont generally determine who makes finals or not it makes a huge difference at the end of the year when competiting against teams on the same amount of wins or loses in the case of relegation or home finals etc.

Also reckon 12 points for the outright is slightly too high considering and that at times the last few weeks of 2 dayers becomes a bit of a shamble compared to how the 2 dayers are played before Christmas. Especially considering I could list of many a game at the end of the season where teams have 'paid off' other teams to declare or 'make a game of it' Farcial really, in saying that we were on the end of lot of free alcohol at times.

The current comp I play in goes off the W/L record 2 points for a win, 0 for a loss and then percentage if teams cant be separated on points. Cant be much fairer than that.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5585 times
Been liked: 2526 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby The Hound » Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:30 am

Add the SACA 4th grade not being up to date ATM.
GDCC had ND forfeit last round, no points for that yet.
The Hound
Reserves

Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 35 times

Postby Tony Clifton » Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:33 am

The Hound wrote:Add the SACA 4th grade not being up to date ATM.
GDCC had ND forfeit last round, no points for that yet.

Believe it or not you don't get any points for a forfeit in the Ds!

It goes on points per game.

A forfeit (or washout or heat out) counts as zero points but no game played.

And apparently MyCricket can't handle that points system so they've had to send a separate spreadsheet around to clubs.
Tony Clifton
League - Top 5

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Regional Cricket Comps