Restaurant & Pub Reviews

Anything!

Re: Restaurant & Pub Reviews

Postby Lightning McQueen » Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:30 am

Went to Cafe Nova in Gawler last night as we have decided to go out for dinner every Thursday night to get us out of the house.

The missus had a 25% off coupon from the Entertainment book so it made sense.

I took the Scotch Fillet with Diane sauce, the wife had the Greek Lamb Salad and we shared a bruschetta entree.

The place was about a quarter filled when I ordered as I grabbed a Peroni for me and a champers for the better half.

The entree came out in about 7 minutes, I had barely started my beer, it was up there with the best bruschetta I've had and then as soon as we'd finished our mains were presented.

The steak was more on the medium side than the medium rare that I asked for but, who cares, as long as I don't have to fight it, the Greek Salad looked awesome and plentiful with a big dollop of tzatziki sauce on top.

Negatives:
It pisses me off that they only put the gravy on at, I'm not a big chip eater so I'd prefer them drenched and not have to dip them into the gravy that has leaked off the side of my steak.
The wife's salad was a bit heavy on the vinegar as she got to the bottom.
We reserved a table outside, there were two plates out there but only one set of cutlery, they soon fixed that, but then didn't bring new cutlery with our mains, no biggy but steak requires a steak knife.

Service was swift and pleasant, didn't even need to order round 2 of drinks because of how quick the meals came out.

Total cost with voucher: $56.

Service 8
Quality 8
Sizes 8
Pricing 8

Total: 7.5

Will go again.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby Booney » Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:37 am

The Palais, Semaphore :

Having wed there 20 years ago to the day we went back there to celebrate.

Upstairs the Ballroom is no longer the main function space, the marquis on the foreshore caters for that, upstairs is now the bistro.

Wednesday night is steak night, 300g rump with chips for $16. Sauces, $4, reef (prawns and calamari) $9, I went with the reef, Mrs Boon with the pepper.
$45 with salad and veg bar.

Now, I rate the Alberton Hotel salad and veg bar, it's dependable, the Palais might just rival it. Not as much to choose from but excellent what was on offer. Roast pumpkin, whole baby carrots, beetroot, cheesy spuds and broccoli and cauliflower on the hot side. Pasta, Singapore noodle, potato, garden and mixed bean on the cold side. I went roast side, all really good.

Steak came out in a timely manner despite there being a table of 20 odd ordering just before us and around 20 other people in the room, fairly busy.

Both the pepper and the reef came out in a bowl, ney, small bath on the side, I don't mind this. 3 nice big prawns, 3 squid rings and some bits and pieces of squid tentacles, my favorite.

Steak was perfect medium, just enough fat on the edge to keep a man happy and make a woman complain.

Panhead Pale Ale ( If you haven't before and you see it, yes, yes indeed ) $9 pint, Rockfords Alicante, $11 glass, they have to get you somehow.

3 beers, 2 wines, meals total $94 so for the two of us it was up there but being a special occasion meh, so what, good memories flooded back, some laughs, some tears for those who aren't with us anymore.

Food - 9/10, the chef is clearly on top of things
Value - 7.5/10, tap beer and house red without the reef would have made the dent smaller
Atmosphere - 9/10, looking over Semaphore jetty on a nice summers night what more could you ask?

Overall 8.5/10

Wandered down and back up the jetty, back along Semaphore Rd to Sweet Amber where a couple of night caps were in order, some pale stuff for me and some hard* lemonade for her. Miss Boon collected us after Junior dropped us down. Great way to celebrate the night.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby HH3 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:45 am

For somebody who has lived in the Port Adelaide area half of my life, I've never been to the Palais.
I TOLD YOU SO

2013/14 NFL Tipping Comp Champion
HH3
Coach

Has liked: 3301 times
Been liked: 2432 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby Booney » Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:49 am

HH3 wrote:For somebody who has lived in the Port Adelaide area half of my life, I've never been to the Palais.

Wednesday night, steak night, go.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby JK » Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:15 am

Mrs K and I had our wedding reception at the Palais too, coming up to 10 years so cheers for the idea Boonman, might have to follow suit. She'll love it too because, whilst we haven't been there in a fair while, we've always been big fans of the grub at the Palais.

EDIT: Scrap that, anniversary is on Oaks Day, will have to postpone the nuptial reminiscing til after the Spring Carnival.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4438 times
Been liked: 2985 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby The Dark Knight » Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:41 pm

Booney wrote:The Palais, Semaphore :

Upstairs the Ballroom is no longer the main function space, the marquis on the foreshore caters for that, upstairs is now the bistro.

Wednesday night is steak night, 300g rump with chips for $16. Sauces, $4, reef (prawns and calamari) $9, I went with the reef, Mrs Boon with the pepper.

Now, I rate the Alberton Hotel salad and veg bar, it's dependable, the Palais might just rival it. Not as much to choose from but excellent what was on offer. Roast pumpkin, whole baby carrots, beetroot, cheesy spuds and broccoli and cauliflower on the hot side. Pasta, Singapore noodle, potato, garden and mixed bean on the cold side. I went roast side, all really good.

Steak came out in a timely manner despite there being a table of 20 odd ordering just before us and around 20 other people in the room, fairly busy.

Both the pepper and the reef came out in a bowl, ney, small bath on the side, I don't mind this. 3 nice big prawns, 3 squid rings and some bits and pieces of squid tentacles, my favorite.

Steak was perfect medium, just enough fat on the edge to keep a man happy and make a woman complain.

Panhead Pale Ale ( If you haven't before and you see it, yes, yes indeed ) $9 pint, Rockfords Alicante, $11 glass, they have to get you somehow.

3 beers, 2 wines, meals total $94 so for the two of us it was up there but being a special occasion meh, so what, good memories flooded back, some laughs, some tears for those who aren't with us anymore.

Value - 7.5/10, tap beer and house red without the reef would have made the dent smaller
Atmosphere - 9/10, looking over Semaphore jetty on a nice summers night what more could you ask?

Overall 8.5/10

Wandered down and back up the jetty, back along Semaphore Rd to Sweet Amber where a couple of night caps were in order, some pale stuff for me and some hard* lemonade for her. Miss Boon collected us after Junior dropped us down. Great way to celebrate the night.
Never had a made meal from the Palais, always quality food from my experience. Real good pizza.
The Dark Knight
Coach

Has liked: 10298 times
Been liked: 1516 times

Postby The Dark Knight » Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:42 pm

HH3 wrote:For somebody who has lived in the Port Adelaide area half of my life, I've never been to the Palais.
You're not a true Port Adelaidean then.
The Dark Knight
Coach

Has liked: 10298 times
Been liked: 1516 times

Postby JK » Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:56 pm

The Dark Knight wrote:

Bought his own computer?
FUSC
JK
Coach

Postby Booney » Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:06 pm

The Dark Knight wrote:

This point would be quite difficult to counter in any debate on the subject.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Booney » Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:07 pm

JK wrote:
The Dark Knight wrote:

Bought his own computer?

His what?
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby JK » Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:10 pm

Booney wrote:
JK wrote:
The Dark Knight wrote:

Bought his own computer?

His what?

Pewta
FUSC
JK
Coach

Postby JK » Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:27 am

SCOOPON Deal @ The Grand Chancellor (Hindley St)

Thought I'd give this one a go, the $40 Surf n Turf deal (for 2 people) included:

- 2 Steaks (with both Seafood Sauce and Pepper Sauce provided)
- Coupla Prawns each
- Decent Size Salad
- Mac & Cheese
- Plenty of Chips
- 2 Glasses of Wine (plenty of choices were available)

Young lass who greeted us was friendly and gave great service. Food arrived in a prompt fashion, steaks cooked perfectly. If we were paying Menu prices we wouldn't have had anything to complain about, but for $40 this was a steal. I've seen the deal pop up a few times and I believe it runs until April or May, so I'd highly recommend to anyone that might be interested.

Deal rating: 9/10
FUSC
JK
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:29 am

JK wrote:SCOOPON Deal @ The Grand Chancellor (Hindley St)

Thought I'd give this one a go, the $40 Surf n Turf deal (for 2 people) included:

- 2 Steaks (with both Seafood Sauce and Pepper Sauce provided)
- Coupla Prawns each
- Decent Size Salad
- Mac & Cheese
- Plenty of Chips
- 2 Glasses of Wine (plenty of choices were available)

Young lass who greeted us was friendly and gave great service. Food arrived in a prompt fashion, steaks cooked perfectly. If we were paying Menu prices we wouldn't have had anything to complain about, but for $40 this was a steal. I've seen the deal pop up a few times and I believe it runs until April or May, so I'd highly recommend to anyone that might be interested.

Deal rating: 9/10

I've looked at that one, cheers, I have a few waiting to be used.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby LMA » Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:15 pm

Overall 8.5/10

I remember when they reopened the Palais some time ago myself and a couple of other pist idiots wandered down one Thursday night after footy training and found their storage room open, we ended up rolling out 3 or 4 kegs of beer then tried ringing everyone we knew to come down with a trailer or ute. Ended up with no takers so we decide to stash the kegs in nearby bushes and a skip near the waterslide and went inside to drink more in the hope of retrieving our loot the next day. I never made it back the next day but one of the guys went back and couldn't find a thing :lol:
LMA
Coach

Has liked: 387 times
Been liked: 714 times
Grassroots Team: Port District

Postby amber_fluid » Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:23 am

LMA wrote:

Overall 8.5/10

I remember when they reopened the Palais some time ago myself and a couple of other pist idiots wandered down one Thursday night after footy training and found their storage room open, we ended up rolling out 3 or 4 kegs of beer then tried ringing everyone we knew to come down with a trailer or ute. Ended up with no takers so we decide to stash the kegs in nearby bushes and a skip near the waterslide and went inside to drink more in the hope of retrieving our loot the next day. I never made it back the next day but one of the guys went back and couldn't find a thing :lol:

They were the days.......................
Good times.
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2217 times
Been liked: 2508 times

Postby Booney » Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:56 am

Zaks Pizza and Grill, Fulham Gardens Shopping Centre

Mrs Boon worked for Zak's Mum and Dad many moons ago in Phil's Deli, Davenport Tce, Richmond and Zak has inherited the ability to knock up top tucker from Phil.

I went the "Steak Sanga" meal, scotch fillet, bacon, egg, onion, cheese, lettuce, tomato and sauce on a ciabatta roll, chips and 600ml drink for $21.90.

Perfect size burger meal, think a bit bigger than Nordburger ( which I always think are a touch small ) and not as big as 127 Days Road ( which I always - not always - think are too big ).

Scotch fillet nice and tender, well assembled so it didn't fall to pieces, not too greasy to need 50 napkins to get through it.

Food - 8.5/10
Service - 8.5/10
Value - 8.5/10
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Dutchy » Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:06 pm

Is that the same Zak that had their shop firebombed at Seaford twice in recent years?
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3482 times

Postby Booney » Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:36 pm

Dutchy wrote:Is that the same Zak that had their shop firebombed at Seaford twice in recent years?

It is.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Jimmy_041 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:51 pm

Booney wrote:
Dutchy wrote:Is that the same Zak that had their shop firebombed at Seaford twice in recent years?

It is.

Flame grilled?
Jimmy_041
Coach

Has liked: 718 times
Been liked: 1071 times
Grassroots Team: Prince Alfred OC

Postby woodublieve12 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:58 pm

Going to Fudds tonight... Great burger joint in Aberfoyle Park...
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3016 times
Been liked: 2384 times

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  General Discussion