Thebarton Oval

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Thebarton Oval

Postby Brett » Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:59 pm

I admit to not knowing agreements between the merged clubs but I think from a SANFL Competition is concerned , The Eagles should play at Thebarton. Woodville Oval is as bad as Richmond and Elizabeth in regards to atmosphere . On top of that its also more central. We need to start thinking about how our game looks when on TV. I have thought this for years. Watching a SANFL game on TV at an empty ground says no one interested.
Brett
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 86 times
Been liked: 68 times

Re: Thebarton Oval

Postby Spargo » Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:15 pm

Brett wrote:I admit to not knowing agreements between the merged clubs but I think from a SANFL Competition is concerned , The Eagles should play at Thebarton. Woodville Oval is as bad as Richmond and Elizabeth in regards to atmosphere . On top of that its also more central. We need to start thinking about how our game looks when on TV. I have thought this for years. Watching a SANFL game on TV at an empty ground says no one interested.

Woodville Oval is my least favourite ground to go to for a few reasons, but I’m not sure moving to Thebby is going to increase atmosphere.
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ

Don’t lose your grip on the dreams of the past
You must fight just to keep them alive...
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5457 times
Been liked: 5089 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby amber_fluid » Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:19 pm

Isn’t Thebby owned by the Amateur league these days?
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2217 times
Been liked: 2508 times

Postby DOC » Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:46 pm

Leased. And its on an angle like Prospect.
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 723 times
Been liked: 2076 times

Postby goddy11 » Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:13 am

Brett wrote:I admit to not knowing agreements between the merged clubs but I think from a SANFL Competition is concerned , The Eagles should play at Thebarton. Woodville Oval is as bad as Richmond and Elizabeth in regards to atmosphere . On top of that its also more central. We need to start thinking about how our game looks when on TV. I have thought this for years. Watching a SANFL game on TV at an empty ground says no one interested.

Brett, I think your trolling a bit or are confusing crowd sizes to ground aesthetics. The Eagles like South and West have poor supporter bases and if you have ever been to their games the majority of supporters will always be on the camera side of ground views, IMHO I think the Woodville oval is the best looking of all SANFL grounds from the aesthetics view. Elizabeth oval is always well presented and Richmond has improved in leaps and bounds since I first stated going there. I am always amazed at the Panthers ground. New improvements every year.
goddy11
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 559 times
Been liked: 211 times
Grassroots Team: Myponga-Sellicks

Postby Brett » Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:54 pm

No im talking about the whole thing . I agree I didn't say that . That's my point re crowds as well . With a more traditional ground it does look better and I disagree with you regarding Richmond. Its a concrete jungle . I think youve missed my point Goddy.
Brett
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 86 times
Been liked: 68 times

Postby RB » Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:18 pm

Is Thebby still in the Eagles' zone? If so must be right on the edge.
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 759 times
Been liked: 1073 times

Postby Armchair expert » Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:42 pm

RB wrote:Is Thebby still in the Eagles' zone? If so must be right on the edge.

No Westies zone

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/viewe ... 38876&z=12
Dave Warner will be missed!
Armchair expert
Coach

Has liked: 379 times
Been liked: 1414 times
Grassroots Team: Ports

Postby Hazydog » Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:50 pm

Not sure I get the point of this? 1500 at Thebby will still look ordinary on TV and conversely 5000 at Woodville, Richmond or Elizabeth generates great atmosphere and has a good look. Has Thebby had much work done over the last few years- it was looking pretty shabby last time I was there?
Players win touches, Teams win matches, Clubs win Premierships.
Hazydog
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 115 times
Been liked: 190 times

Postby LMA » Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:46 pm

Brett just wants them to play there for the close proximity to what's behind the West Thebby Hotel ;)
LMA
Coach

Has liked: 387 times
Been liked: 714 times
Grassroots Team: Port District

Postby Rik E Boy » Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:53 pm

Not a Westies man but I love Richmond. It's been awhile since I've been home but decent banter and nice barbie too. Easy to get a beer and a great viewing ground as well.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1697 times
Been liked: 1813 times

Postby JK » Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:09 am

Thebby is a great ground, but then I think Woodville is too. Nice and close to home, good atmosphere, only downer has been some results over the years lol but they could have (and did) happen anywhere
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4438 times
Been liked: 2985 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby gazzamagoo » Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:15 am

Hazydog wrote:Not sure I get the point of this? 1500 at Thebby will still look ordinary on TV and conversely 5000 at Woodville, Richmond or Elizabeth generates great atmosphere and has a good look. Has Thebby had much work done over the last few years- it was looking pretty shabby last time I was there?

we'll NEVER get 5,000 at Elizabeth again, we struggle to get 2,000!
I agree too, the oval is way too big & I believe in ground rationalisation.
gazzamagoo
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1656 times
Been liked: 643 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby Aerie » Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:00 pm

Woodville is only just in the Eagles zone, they’ve been pushed so far North. Heartland now is Wingfield.
Aerie
Coach

Has liked: 147 times
Been liked: 503 times

Postby Wedgie » Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:27 am

Aerie wrote:

Woodville is only just in the Eagles zone, they’ve been pushed so far North. Heartland now is Wingfield.

Your post was a bit of an eye opener, I just had a look and youre spot on, heartland is probably Torrens Island though!
I thought I was in the Eagles area being between Thebby and Woodville Ovals but am in the Westies area.
Would take me 5 mins to get to Woodville or Thebby but about 15 to Richmond. Most people around here I know only associate with the Eagles, haven't met a West supporter yet!
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2020 times
Been liked: 3862 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby JK » Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:02 pm

Wedgie wrote:
Aerie wrote:

Your post was a bit of an eye opener, I just had a look and youre spot on, heartland is probably Torrens Island though!
I thought I was in the Eagles area being between Thebby and Woodville Ovals but am in the Westies area.
Would take me 5 mins to get to Woodville or Thebby but about 15 to Richmond. Most people around here I know only associate with the Eagles, haven't met a West supporter yet!

I think once the Magpies lost their metro recruiting zones and the Eagles assumed most/much of it, the domino effect has changed much of their heartland.

I know my kids at Grange Primary were under the Eagles banner in their early years, then Glenelg (which I think it still is?), but Westies aren't far away so I'm not sure if it's changed again?
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4438 times
Been liked: 2985 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Brendan M » Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:33 pm

All the SANFL grounds have their own charm, I like them all. They are well maintained also. The orientation of Prospect, Alberton and Thebarton (not north-south) can be disorienting. Thebby is very run down. Perhaps the Adelaide FC could sink their millions (or other people's millions) into Ashley Street and create a home for themselves there.
Brendan M
Rookie

Has liked: 40 times
Been liked: 47 times

Postby goddy11 » Sat Mar 23, 2019 6:01 am

Does anyone really understand Bretts original post. Is he after ground rationalization or club mergers or what? How SANFL looks on Television is nothing to do with clubs as real supporters are at the game supporting their clubs and who cares what c7 thinks. Adelaide and PA are not helping with crowds and they have the bulk of telecasts.
goddy11
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 559 times
Been liked: 211 times
Grassroots Team: Myponga-Sellicks

Postby Hazydog » Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:37 am

gazzamagoo wrote:
Hazydog wrote:Not sure I get the point of this? 1500 at Thebby will still look ordinary on TV and conversely 5000 at Woodville, Richmond or Elizabeth generates great atmosphere and has a good look. Has Thebby had much work done over the last few years- it was looking pretty shabby last time I was there?

we'll NEVER get 5,000 at Elizabeth again, we struggle to get 2,000!
I agree too, the oval is way too big & I believe in ground rationalisation.

That’s a sobering thought Gaz. Maybe late in the season, playing a Sturt, Norwood or North for the minor premiership or something would give it a nudge? Ground rationalisation was seen to be an abject failure in the 80s 90s when there was a lot more interest in the comp..
Not sure how that would look or work in today’s environment.
Players win touches, Teams win matches, Clubs win Premierships.
Hazydog
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 115 times
Been liked: 190 times

Postby o five » Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:24 am

Is there even a clubroom at Thebarton? I know it is only trials, but when North have played there nothing is open and your lucky if the light is on in the toilet. :oops:
o five
Under 16s

Has liked: 219 times
Been liked: 39 times

Next

Board index   Football  SANFL